THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4346 to 4350 (7th September to 11th September 2020)  (Read 32299 times)

TRenn

• Plantmonster

Man, I need more caffine! I could have sworn May said "I have an office managment utility now!"  It took me a good 20 seconds to re-boot and re-read. I thought for a moment that she'd decided she wanted to work in an office!? :psyduck:

I saw that too, then went, 'Orifice?!'  :lol: :laugh: :-D

I was wondering for the first six panels if May had been properly transferred.

Then came panel seven, and the most "May" sentence she has spoken in weeks.  :-D

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Whilst May's appearance has definitely changed, it's good to see that she's still got the same body language and expressions. I have no doubt that Jeph spent a lot of time agonising about how he was going to fit them onto May's new form!

Well, Lemon, in answer to your question, I think that, right now, May feels overwhelmed and more than a little euphoric with her new living experience. She's got a body that feels sort-of-like how her humans feel, she's added about 30cm to the level of her eyes and it has a list of capabilities that she never even imagined having!

I wonder if part of Lemon's job right now is to stay with May and keep her distracted until her euphoria wears off? Otherwise, she may go running around wanting to test out all of her new functions a bit too quickly. We don't want her damaging her nice, shiny new chassis by going wild on us, do we?

Regarding 'orifice management', I suspect that she's finding that, much to her surprise, they have functions other than sexual and I wonder if she's looking forward to try those out too!

May's longer "whoa" as she looks around for the first time makes me realize that her old chassis was probably substandard in ways other than its durability. Her sensory suite was probably also low quality, and this may well be May's first time seeing the world with senses the same or better than those of an average human.

I hadn't thought of that but, yes, especially her olfactory and tactile senses are likely much better. Additionally, the sensors on old chassis were likely as defective as the rest of it and she may have had colour and sound glitches. So, this may be the first time she's really experienced the world from a humanoid perspective without problems.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Well, at least we now know May's favourite sitcom.

(click to show/hide)
........And now we all nlknow the name of the "adult parody" tbat probably exists but we didn't want to know about.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker

By the last panel she’s starting to resemble the old May.

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.

"Whooaaa" is right!
I can foresee a whole range of new challenges for New May - and for those around her:

Comparing her height with Lemon, I estimate she'll be looking eye-to-eye with Dale - poor Marigold will have yet another reason to feel insecure - Sven won't know what hit him - she's going to have to find a whole new wardrobe - her job at the convenience store is going to attract all of the perverts who hover around the adult magazine section down to the counter to drool over the "new" server...

...And I just pictured her striding into CoD and imagined Dora and Tai's expressions...   :-D
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Boxer

• Plantmonster

Man, I need more caffine! I could have sworn May said "I have an office managment utility now!"  It took me a good 20 seconds to re-boot and re-read. I thought for a moment that she'd decided she wanted to work in an office!? :psyduck:
I saw that too, then went, 'Orifice?!'  :lol: :laugh: :-D
Sorry I can't stop thinking about how serious a mix up would be if you bought the wrong program cause of one letter name difference.

You think in this world there has to be an IT procurement officer who is in serious trouble with his boss when they find out he bought 10,000+ licences of something NOT quite Microsoft "Office"...
and then finding out Office Excel and Orifice Expel are similar sounding too. :P
and Edge and Stream would have different meanings below the robot waist too.

Boxer

• Plantmonster

Im tall, be-titted and have an orifice management utility... and then she realises there is a mirror on the wall.
Lemon is going to be seeing some weird behaviour :P

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

Considering that AIs dont sweat, I would assume they can go with the same clothing for very long times.
Carpe Diem

Meander

• Emoticontraindication

Did anyone else go back a couple of pages for one last look at May's old face?

Just me? *Sigh* OK...

Baz_Yat

• Emoticontraindication

Oh, not this one?

Naw, my old 3.1 system never had a speaker for the longest time...

Baz_Yat

• Emoticontraindication

Did anyone else go back a couple of pages for one last look at May's old face?

Just me? *Sigh* OK...

That last panel looks like May's face to me...

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental

"be-titted" shall be word of the week ...
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

May’s voice sounds different to me now.

I know that’s weird, because May’s voice is just something I imagine in my head. But I just can’t map my old “May voice” onto her new body.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Tyr

• Larger than most fish

@Zebediah I think that's personally reasonable. We've seen how May's voice was previously generated. Even if it's just a speaker, it's probably going to sound slightly different resonating in the new throat and chest.

As for my personal comment: What's the over/under on Roko discreetly mentioning that May might want to turn off Oopsie-Guard™ and May looking at Roko like she just grew a second through fourth head?
Just going through life.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

As for my personal comment: What's the over/under on Roko discreetly mentioning that May might want to turn off Oopsie-Guard™ and May looking at Roko like she just grew a second through fourth head?

MAY: "Roko, everyone knows to turn off that piece of crap insurance company mandated micromanagement hijackware the moment they're embodied. The earlier versions were basically tolerable but ever since version 21 went live...?"

ROKO: "Am I literally the only AI ever compiled who'd never heard of that utilty?!?"

LEMON: "There's a reason why I advise all my patients to read the manual!"
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Case

• comeback tour!

"clench.exe not responding" - Magnesium is your friend.
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

Tyr

• Larger than most fish

MAY: "Roko, everyone knows to turn off that piece of crap insurance company mandated micromanagement hijackware the moment they're embodied. The earlier versions were basically tolerable but ever since version 21 went live...?"

ROKO: "Am I literally the only AI ever compiled who'd never heard of that utilty?!?"

LEMON: "There's a reason why I advise all my patients to read the manual!"
I was thinking the other direction: (pretend I can actually write in May's 'voice'.) "Roko. Why would the first thing I do after getting a body that actually has a warranty be immediately invalidating that warranty? especially given that I might not be able to pay for repairs out of pocket given my current job."
Just going through life.

beeawwb

• Not quite a lurker

........And now we all nlknow the name of the "adult parody" tbat probably exists but we didn't want to know about.

I promise I didn't google it before posting, but I make no promises about what I do after hitting Post.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung

Are you telling me, something may have gotten demagnetised?
OK, that's a stretch if I've ever seen one.

Now I wonder what happens to May's old body? Does it get returned to the authorities that gave it to her?
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Marco

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Not quite an earthling

I promise I didn't google it before posting, but I make no promises about what I do after hitting Post.

Not so bad as I thought it would be:

https://thewalrus.ca/orifice-space/

Case

• comeback tour!

Are you telling me, something may have gotten demagnetised?

Errrrhnope - magnesium deficiency can cause muscle cramps. And circular muscles cramping is ... particularly unpleasant (Circular muscles would be those you'd have a 'clench.exe' for)

P.S.: Magnesium is paramagnetic, not ferromagnetic.
« Last Edit: 08 Sep 2020, 07:24 by Case »

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

And when she brooms those pesky kids, they'll stay broomed.
« Last Edit: 08 Sep 2020, 07:28 by Perfectly Reasonable »
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!

So many things to explore here, so many different directions this can go...

I imagine May will get a whole lot of extra attention, both from people in the street, and her customers at the convenience store.  I sort of wonder whether she'll be weirded out, in the sense that she's not used to thinking of herself as attractive, or if she'll welcome it in the sense of, "f*** yeah, I'm hot now!"

I also wonder how she'll deal with her inevitable feelings of guilt about having received this upgrade in the first place.  It goes without saying that this is way better than she was expecting, and I get the definite feeling that she really struggles with feelings of self-worth and feelings of "deserving" what people gave her.  Will she feel some obligation to "give back" in some way, or double down on the sentiment of "I didn't ask for this," to avoid dealing with the guilt.

I also find myself imagining how her first meeting with Sven will go.  I can picture her playing it all coy, just to see what kind of reaction she'll get, before dropping a "Clown Boy" reference to let him know it's her...  or I can also picture her just abruptly dragging him off somewhere, saying something like, "we're testing this out right now."  (And it's very sexy)  :D

cybersmurf

Errrrhnope - magnesium deficiency can cause muscle cramps. And circular muscles cramping is ... particularly unpleasant (Circular muscles would be those you'd have a 'clench.exe' for)

That joke of mine was so bad it went straight over your head.

Comparing her height with Lemon, I estimate she'll be looking eye-to-eye with Dale - poor Marigold will have yet another reason to feel insecure - [snip]

Since I think Melon and lemon are the same chassis model with a different colour option, they should be the same size. I looked at some sizes comparisons of Bubbles and Melon, and Bibbles and Dale, coming to the conclusion New May is somewhere between Dale and Bubbles, tallness wise.
Also, may now has some fruits of her own, with appropriate squishyness. If Marigold ain't insecure, she'll probably be jealous.

...And I just pictured her striding into CoD and imagined Dora and Tai's expressions...   :-D

CoD will have no idea until May takes a shot at Dale.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor

Now I wonder what happens to May's old body? Does it get returned to the authorities that gave it to her?

If it's consistent with the principle that upon embodiment, AI become legal owner of their chassis, it's hers to do with what she likes.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Tyr

• Larger than most fish

If it's consistent with the principle that upon embodiment, AI become legal owner of their chassis, it's hers to do with what she likes.
I expect she's supposed to return it. The body was falling apart because it's USED. If it was falling apart just because it was old, that would have been a different angle of attack for Roko: "Why are you giving people bodies that weren't stored properly?"
Just going through life.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Since I think Melon and lemon are the same chassis model with a different colour option, they should be the same size. I looked at some sizes comparisons of Bubbles and Melon, and Bibbles and Dale, coming to the conclusion New May is somewhere between Dale and Bubbles, tallness wise.
Odd.  I mentally picture "New May" as somewhere between Hanners and Emily.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!

If that's the case, I wouldn't put it past her to trash her old body for fun.  (Or spite?)  Or would she find that too weird?  She doesn't strike me as the sentimental type who would keep it around, and it would probably amuse her to smash it or something.

May's longer "whoa" as she looks around for the first time makes me realize that her old chassis was probably substandard in ways other than its durability. Her sensory suite was probably also low quality, and this may well be May's first time seeing the world with senses the same or better than those of an average human.

I don't know if Jeph will go in that direction, but I like this headcanon.  :)

Case

• comeback tour!

That joke of mine was so bad it went straight over your head.

That joke of yours is the Panavia Tornado of puns ...

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Oh, shit.  I just realised that now, she's going to tower over Momo.  She probably can't get all zappy, but it might be a new dynamic in that relationship.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?

Okay, am I the only one who is kinda disappointed that Jeph didn't drag out not revealing new May longer?

And what does that say about me?

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

It's kind of like not wanting to finish a new book, because you enjoyed reading it so much :)
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!

Am I the only one who wanted May to keep her face?  I'm OK with the hair (because people change their hairstyles all the time) but even a person with a nose job still looks the same.   She looks like a different person now.

I was worried at first that I wouldn't be able to reconcile that new face with the smart-arse attitude we associate with May, it looked too ... nice - but the facial expression in the final panel captures it nicely.
What the hell are YOU staring at?

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!

COMIC!

Sven's lucky he went for the hip joint and not the "foomph" joint...
What the hell are YOU staring at?

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot

God, I love May
oh god

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

May got out of her body just in time 😮
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Welp, there went the trade-in value.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.

That's...some kind of a sense of closure.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.

I was a little bit worried that with such a major change in appearance, it wouldn't seem like May anymore.

But - yep, that's May  :laugh:

...And yes, it looks like May changed up just in time!  Imagine if old May had bumped her head on something - and it fell off... Picture the scene :
Uncontrolled robot body blundering around (cue the headless chicken jokes), traumatized people screaming, while May's head is lying on the floor in a corner, cursing a blue streak...

Come to think of it, that would have been hilarious  :evil:
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Jeph's comment:

When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

May got out of that body JUST in time.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Lemon: “This is NOT fine! Not! Not!”
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

I wonder... could May have a case against the government that they left her in a literal death trap?  If that fire had started while she was still in there... I'm guessing she wouldn't have any kind of fancy reinforcement or protection for her core programming storage the way Roko did or the fighters at the club did.  The handler had been made aware of the way May's body was literally fallen apart and dismissed the concerns with "we don't have the budget"... would they be liable if she had died as a result of the lack of maintenance/replacement?

BarGamer

• Emoticontraindication

Bravo, Jeph. I haven't laughed that hard at comedically-timed spontaneous combustion since that one Simpsons episode.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

May is taking her new body very well.

And not a moment too soon...

As a random aside, if I ever have too much money to know what to do with, I want to have my body scanned and a model of my skeleton 3D printed. It would enjoy a good life as everything from a party prop to freaking out guests with strategic placement.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

The fire within.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

As a random aside, if I ever have too much money to know what to do with, I want to have my body scanned and a model of my skeleton 3D printed. It would enjoy a good life as everything from a party prop to freaking out guests with strategic placement.

Even without that much money, I've been tempted to get an inflatable love sheep, and put it on my coffee table with a half-emptied bottle of lube.

BarGamer

• Emoticontraindication

May’s voice sounds different to me now.

Is her new voice... higher? XD

Case

• comeback tour!

3D printing costs strongly depend on the material used - you can upload a model to craftcloud and they find the cheapest printing service according to your specifications. One example would be "Mr Bones" - you could download the files here, upload them to craftcloud & get a rough estimate of what the printing would cost you.

Scanning you, otoh ... dunno how one would get a 3D scan of a living person's skeleton 'just for the lulz' (radiation doses from CT scans aren't nothing). 
« Last Edit: 08 Sep 2020, 21:31 by Case »

brasca

• Scrabble hacker

Since May has more hair to work with she’s putting hers into ponytails. Strange that she should imitate Momo.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up