THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4346 to 4350 (7th September to 11th September 2020)  (Read 32279 times)

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

is that the wiring?  the battery?
this could get bad real quick.

Cheetaur

• Plantmonster

Seems May's body is a literal fire sale item. Get it while its hot. LOL

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier

I hate it when my head falls off.

That actually reminds me of a bit in a novel about an early artificial intelligence. For a while it's housed in a fairly dodgy body, and it stops in a barn to try and repair a knee joint. As part of that, it loosens its neck-joint so as to get a better look at the knee. While it's doing this, a human comes in and surprises it. The AI turns around a bit too quickly and its head falls off.

Thus ensues a comedic dialog, in which the human talks about how he's alarmed by "you and your trick head."
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2020, 22:39 by Gus_Smedstad »

ihaveavoice

• Obscure cultural reference

I was a little bit worried that with such a major change in appearance, it wouldn't seem like May anymore.

But - yep, that's May  :laugh:

...And yes, it looks like May changed up just in time!  Imagine if old May had bumped her head on something - and it fell off... Picture the scene :
Uncontrolled robot body blundering around (cue the headless chicken jokes), traumatized people screaming, while May's head is lying on the floor in a corner, cursing a blue streak...

Come to think of it, that would have been hilarious  :evil:

Imagine if she'd bumped her head while she and Sven were having their adventures, and THEN her internal workings CAUGHT FIRE. The instant panic of that moment :psyduck:

This really does seem like it could've been fatal to her (surely not well reinforced) core if it had happened before she was transferred, though. That's so disturbing to think about. How many AI ex-cons have hit that kind of random fatal hardware snag? If their internal workings just randomly fried, how many of them would have someone who'd think to report anything about finding their trash heap used body lying on the floor in a permanent powered down state?

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung

Since May has more hair to work with she’s putting hers into ponytails. Strange that she should imitate Momo.

I think Momo is the AI she hangs out with the most, so that probably was the first hair style that came to her mind. But I still think it's sweet she does it that way.

As the body apparently is supposed to be recycled, I take it it belonged to May. Kinda would explain why it is THAT crappy. Kind of like "I need a humanoid body. What's the cheapest we can get, but still working?"
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

This strip really reminds us the degree that May hated  that old body; the degree to which it was a second prison to her. Whilst I doubt she experienced 'pain' in the way a human did, she likely booted up after every recharge with a long list of serious impending or ongoing system failures and the knowledge that she had no way to address them. She had to deal with being effectively crippled and no-one who imposed it on her seemed to care very much.

So, yeah, she hated that chassis. You can see it in panel 4 in today's strip. She's practically lapsing into mania! She doesn't know whether to start laughing hysterically or screaming in fury!

FWIW, the reason why the head came off and what I presume to be either coolant or lubricant almost immediately caught fire is that May was no longer around micromanaging the systems to prevent catastrophic failures. Without that close supervision, it was just a matter of time before the damn thing just succumbed to entropy!

is that the wiring?  the battery?
this could get bad real quick.

Yeah, whether or not that's an electrical fire, they'll need to smother the thing in AFF foam pretty quickly if the batteries are lithium-ion!

I wonder... could May have a case against the government that they left her in a literal death trap?

I would say 'no'. The defence would be that that chassis was perfectly safe if properly maintained. The fact that she didn't have the resources to carry out the required maintenance is not the government's problem. She knows and insisted on frittering away her money on clothing, housing, consumables like coolant and power to keep the (defective) batteries topped up. What were the government supposed to do if her priorities were so skewed towards trivia?

Oh, if she has a decent lawyer who is willing to spend the time fighting through the bureaucratic quagmire, she'll probably get a nice cheque after a decade or so, which will pay out after she and everyone who knows about her case signs an NDA. The decision-makers will be reassigned upwards, the actual pen-pushers (like the guy who dissed Roko) will be dismissed for 'failing to resolve the issue' by making it go away without cost and all records of the affair will be consigned to the deepest and most inaccessible archives if not destroyed outright.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

the silent firefly

• Plantmonster

double ponytail... didn't see that coming. i was worried at first but i think i really like my favorite character's new body.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

May’s voice sounds different to me now.

I know that’s weird, because May’s voice is just something I imagine in my head. But I just can’t map my old “May voice” onto her new body.
No no. That's totally fair. For they longest time, my brain had Allison Keith's voice assigned to May's old chassis.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor

I wonder... could May have a case against the government that they left her in a literal death trap?

If we're still standing by the principle that it becomes their legal property on embodiment, I'd say that the tricky thing would be to prove that it was a death trap at time of issue. Then you get to delve into the specifics of the procurement process, and if it has been followed correctly, or has someone been (deliberately/corruptly) sloppy with it. With hers being a niche case, as we've learned, it might be hard to get much traction. Either way, it's going to be a long process. And even then, she's only had an appraisal of the state, some time after she was issued it. (Though, how much time, it's a bit difficult to gauge.)

I don't think we can really argue on the basis of what exists in our world very much, as issuing a body is not something that happens. The closest you might get, is suing over deficient health care. But even there, the specifics will be different, I should think.

If, on the other hand, the chassis were to be, and remain, property of the department of corrections/justice/what have you, it might be easier. Though, again, depending on the specifics in the arrangement - on loan, lease...- there might be the risk that she's responsible for maintenance.

Edited to add back in what I accidentally deleted.
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2020, 00:42 by Cornelius »
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

May is taking her new body very well.

And not a moment too soon...

As a random aside, if I ever have too much money to know what to do with, I want to have my body scanned and a model of my skeleton 3D printed. It would enjoy a good life as everything from a party prop to freaking out guests with strategic placement.
I'd get quite a bit of dental, nasal and sinus work done along with something experimental to treat my CTS. Maybe a silicone support tunnel?
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

Scanning you, otoh ... dunno how one would get a 3D scan of a living person's skeleton 'just for the lulz' (radiation doses from CT scans aren't nothing).
Thats why we have MRI scans for such a thing ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_resonance_imaging
Carpe Diem

Potato Farmer

• Emoticontraindication

I'm going to have to get used to May having such heavy eyebrows.

Annemoon

• Emoticontraindication

Is her new voice... higher? XD

Body size and structure generally has an effect on the voice. Just like testosterone levels and - to lesser extend - estrogen levels.
I think you can generally 'hear' these differences, meaning your mind has subconsciously learned that differently sized people sound different etc.
I wouldn't be surprised if in females, the ratio of female to male sex-hormone levels have a noticeable enough effect on pitch (or timbre) that we would be able to pick up on that too.

May is suddenly both taller and more 'fem' in her appearance. Which we may both associate with subtle differences in voice appearance, causing the inner voice which our brain chooses to change.
Not saying that the base rules of a 'tall voice' or 'fem voice' always hold up, there are plenty of exceptions. But I think they hold up enough for our brains to set certain expectations. -- The same expectations that cause you to be 'surprised' if someone suddenly has a difference voice than you'd expect for their appearance.

On another note, Lemon is not really good at reading the room and adjusting her counsel to the person present is she?
"science fairy" - cybersmurf

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Well, at least we now know May's favourite sitcom.

(click to show/hide)
Given the magazines we've seen her reading in odd moments, she'd definitely be into that show.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Is her new voice... higher? XD

Body size and structure generally has an effect on the voice. Just like testosterone levels and - to lesser extend - estrogen levels.
I think you can generally 'hear' these differences, meaning your mind has subconsciously learned that differently sized people sound different etc.
I wouldn't be surprised if in females, the ratio of female to male sex-hormone levels have a noticeable enough effect on pitch (or timbre) that we would be able to pick up on that too.

May is suddenly both taller and more 'fem' in her appearance. Which we may both associate with subtle differences in voice appearance, causing the inner voice which our brain chooses to change.
Not saying that the base rules of a 'tall voice' or 'fem voice' always hold up, there are plenty of exceptions. But I think they hold up enough for our brains to set certain expectations. -- The same expectations that cause you to be 'surprised' if someone suddenly has a difference voice than you'd expect for their appearance.

On another note, Lemon is not really good at reading the room and adjusting her counsel to the person present is she?
On body structure and voice; if robots use a simulated voice box, a taller model would likely have a deeper voice because of the larger resonance volume. But if they use a purely synthesised voice it may not change at all.
Personally I suspect May just switched from synthesised to simulated and everyone is going to notice something a little “off” eventually.

As for Lemon, I sort of got the impression that she believes May is deflecting, for which the standard tactic is to continue on the original track regardless.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental

Scanning you, otoh ... dunno how one would get a 3D scan of a living person's skeleton 'just for the lulz' (radiation doses from CT scans aren't nothing).
Thats why we have MRI scans for such a thing ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_resonance_imaging

Not really. Conventional MRI is insensitive to bone - though it's possible with special techniques to get imagery usable for medical diagnostics. But for a high-res scan of a skeleton that you'd feed to a 3D printer?

"One of the unusual features of magnetic resonance (MR) imaging of the musculoskeletal system is the fact that many of the tissues of most interest such as tendons, ligaments, menisci, periosteum, and cortical bone have short T2s and produce no signal when imaged with conventional pulse sequences. They have been described as MR “invisible.”"

https://rd.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00256-008-0592-7

And I'd like to see you persuade a clinic to use their expensive diagnostics on you so you can have a nice 3D-print of your skeleton.
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2020, 04:55 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

And I'd like to see you persuade a clinic to use their expensive diagnostics on you so you can have a nice 3D-print of your skeleton.
I dont get why thats not also a problem with CT scans though.
Carpe Diem

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!

Sven's lucky he went for the hip joint and not the "foomph" joint...

Then he could stick it in the head side of the neck joint instead.

TheEvilDog

Honestly, I'm just surprised May's lemon of a chassis didn't ignite sooner.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Yet the chassis of a Lemon seems to be holding up quite well.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Roborat

• Furry furrier

I wasn't sure how I was going to like May in this new body, but she is making it hers, and her personality is starting to come through.  I look forward to how her life goes now, particularly how she handles the attention she is going to get, that is a pretty hot looking body. Maybe it can lead to a better job, so she can afford to maintain herself properly.

Killspree

• Emoticontraindication

Curious to how long before she has some form of buyers remorse.

I can kinda imagine her wanting her old face again, if I squint really hard.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

My guess is that May will get really tired, really quickly, of continually telling others: "Yes, it's really <expletive> me".
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot

She just went from disability to super-ability in the span of thirty seconds, I don't know how else she could possibly react to this.

Give her like forty eight hours to chill out.
oh god

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

Well... At least we know for sure that May still has the same personality.

Somebody

• Curry sauce

Meanwhile, Roko is trying to leave reality to escape from the situation.

beeawwb

• Not quite a lurker

REPRESENT!

(You can decide for yourself which club or clubs that may refer to. Pun intended.)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I didn’t realise we had a robot with buttholes among the forumites. Nice.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Plural? 

What happened to human standard?  I know, some people have an extra they talk out of, but...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.

Yep - still May   :roll:

Clothes shopping sometime soon? I notice she can't do up her shorts...or is that on purpose? 

(BTW, I wouldn't make the whappawhappawhap on Momo's head a habit, May - not unless you want to see Momo lose her cool, in a zappy kinda way!)
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

jesslc

• Furry furrier

Uh oh, is Roko starting to dissociate again? Her appearance in the last panel reminds me a lot of the last time that happened - a shift in hue, blurred edges... (see panel 3 here - https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4110)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

May is still May. *lol*

the silent firefly

• Plantmonster

that first panel is absolutely quintessential May. love it!

i wonder if we'll get to see a change in May's style. she's gonna need new clothes and maybe she'll be more willing to put a little more $$ into it now that she is learning to accept her own value. plus she'll probably want to make that new body look good.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.

Uh oh, is Roko starting to dissociate again? Her appearance in the last panel reminds me a lot of the last time that happened - a shift in hue, blurred edges... (see panel 3 here - https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4110)
At first I thought May was just shaking her really fast, but I actually think you might be right. Being in the presence of 1) so many unused robot bodies and 2) an AI who immediately felt at home in her new chassis and is shouting about all her bodily features could be a little traumatic.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

jesslc

• Furry furrier

Also, surely it must have been more than a few days since this conversation: https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3914

Did Roko never come back to discuss further therapeutic options because she thought Lemon was bad at her job? But futher therapeutic options might not just involve "therapy" with Lemon... and surely it's worth exploring all the possibilities.

Well, from a meta perspective, perhaps that's why Lemon is present now - so that she can remind Roko there are other therapeutic options that may help her.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.

I didn’t realise we had a robot with buttholes among the forumites. Nice.
Oh shoot, did I leave that out of my personal information again?
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

SeattleCrochetWoman

• Plantmonster

i wonder if we'll get to see a change in May's style. she's gonna need new clothes and maybe she'll be more willing to put a little more $$ into it now that she is learning to accept her own value. plus she'll probably want to make that new body look good.

If she has much money to spare, considering she works in a convenience store.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

My guess is that May will get really tired, really quickly, of continually telling others: "Yes, it's really <expletive> me".
[four hours later, new comic is posted]

... actually, I don't think that will be a problem.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

also, I'm not sure if Roko is dissociating again or just disapproving so strongly that she's vibrating.

TRenn

• Plantmonster

May got out of her body just in time 😮

Apparently May's old body had at least ONE thing in common with the Bluesmobile from "The Blues Brothers" movie. During that final police chase through downtown Chicago, it held together barely as long as the brothers needed it, then collapsed into parts the moment they arrived at their destination.

And in retrospect, I'm shocked the filmmakers didn't have the parts spontaneously combust at that point.  :-D

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier

Honestly, if it weren't a biological necessity, I wouldn't want a butthole. They're gross. Even if you're a robot and no poop comes out of the butthole, they're still pretty gnarly.

Apparently, panel 1, we learn that May isn't too clear on how to use a zipper.

I really didn't have quite a grasp on how tall May is in her new body until seeing her in the same panel as Dale. That seems... bad.

Despite my knee-jerk reaction, on further reflection I think her ragging on Momo for being short is the only truly awful thing. Yeah, tit-hug is crossing boundaries, but that particular boundry-crossing is pretty common in QC land. Marigold has done it herself a few times, if not quite so aggressively. And clearly Roko is really pissed that May is telling the world that she has a butthole, but honestly, buttholes are pretty much part of life.

I suspect it will be a while before Roko stops regretting helping May, though. In particular helping her to the extent she could afford the Josefine MX, with the height and butthole.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

I think that May just doesn't fit into her old clothes anymore, so she CAN'T zip up her pants 🙂

BenRG

• coprophage

Oof! Remember what I said on Tuesday about managing euphoria? Well, I'd say that over 2/3 of what we're seeing in today's strip is just that. Especially her reaction to Momo. I couldn't ever see her having the guts to do that normally (she's been shocked at least once)!

FWIW, I would ask Marigold if May's hug-plllows have the same narcotic properties as her own!

It's pretty obvious that May is going to need a new wardrobe. Even heavily modified, her existing clothes are barely holding on!

I'm not sure that we will. Body change or no, May is still May and I suspect that she'll still have the same basic tastes. That said, I do wonder if she'll get some 'show off' clothes for when she particularly wants to impress someone.
~~~~

Bollthorn

• Balloon animal serial killer

Dem pigtails tho ^w^
"Oh Eddie... Why are you an alcoholic?"

"... Because I drink a lot."

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor

...wondering if May is being set up for a fall...
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Tova

• coprophage

She’s got a long way to fall now.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage

...wondering if May is being set up for a fall...

I do wonder if Jeph, with his experience with mood swings, is working towards a big 'down' (either internal or external) to balance out May's current euphoria.
~~~~

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor

She’s got a long way to fall now.

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Dissociative episode incoming....
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Tova

• coprophage

I dunno if she will have a dissociative episode, but there's every chance that at least she will need to come to terms with the idea that having a new chassis won't solve all of her life's problems.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up