THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4346 to 4350 (7th September to 11th September 2020)  (Read 32267 times)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker

In the QC 'verse, an AI could have a chest made from an actual barrel.
Caskidy
Caskper
Barrelomew

It’s actually the Tom Servo.

Raptorofwar

• Plantmonster

Mmmm, yes, dissociation time go brrt.
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.
-David Gerrold

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.

Did you hear the one about when Olive Garden added genitalia to bread? It was unlimited bread's dicks.

Pun, or don't pun. There is no maybe. Own them. You're the pundit.

--snip--

Please, don't open Pundora's Box ...
More like awful buns...
She just needs to find someone who can give her what she kneads.
Hopefully the right guy rolls along. Not someone who loafs around. Having a lot of dough probably helps.
PLEASE

SPARE ME

I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Other than wanting to be a fighter jet, we don't know what May's former body was (or if she even had one), and it's entirely possible she only existed within a server, so never had a physical sense of self, hence why she's taking so quick to her new body.
Actually we definitely know she was not embodied before. We saw that when Roko went to talk with the body assignment guy, who explicitly calls May out as being in the niche group oif disembodied AIs who request a body upon release. The fact that this is such a small group is the reason that their hardware budget only allows them to acquire variously defective bodies.

And really, it's hard to blame the system for this. If any other AI wants a body, they have to go and pay for it themselves, or get someone else to buy it for them. Why should the correctional system be responsible for buying a body for an AI just because they decide on release that they want one now? It might make some sense as part of the overall rehabilitation effort, but they certainly don't seem to have any ethical obligation to do so.

If she has much money to spare, considering she works in a convenience store.
good point but i could see that changing.
[...]
she will still have her legal limitations on certain kinds of employment but a good-looking and fully functional body should definitely give her some better opportunities, particularly if it comes paired with a better attitude.
I don't know about that. Her problems previously stemmed from being a convicted felon, plus in one case simply being an AI, and neither of those things has changed. Previous prospective employers would not have known about her old body's issues so I don't see that having a reliable body will help in that area.

Now you're definitely right that if she develops a better attitude towards other people and life generally as a result of being in a good quality body, that will help in the job search. But that remains to be seen.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung

Did you hear the one about when Olive Garden added genitalia to bread? It was unlimited bread's dicks.

I would ask how amd why I deserved this, but I know perfectly well myself.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?

That's why I thought Roko was having problems.  She'd gotten some bread earlier and now it's having some unexpected effect on her.  An allergy, or simply crumbs shorting out her processor, or ...
This space intentionally left almost blank.

immortalfrieza

• Emoticontraindication

I doubt May will ever have dissociative issues. II4C, in contrast to Roko, she wasn't born embodied, so her "true self" isn't bound to a physical form. Or at least not to a humanoid form.
All AIs are born disembodied. They are created in a virtual environment with other AIs of their generation, are eventually bootstrapped to self awareness, and then given a choice of function which may or may not include possessing a body. Being disembodied is an AI's natural state, whatever that may mean for an artificial life form.

Roko's issues seem to be based on the fact that she spent years in a particular body only to have to change it against her will. It's unlikely even the exact same model of chassis with the exact same appearance would have prevented these dissociative episodes. I'm not surprised she's experiencing a dissociative episode right now, she's among empty chassis and witnessing other AIs changing their bodies which would remind her of the fact that she isn't in her original one. I doubt whether May was having issues with her own replacement body or not would have changed this.

I've been looking through the old archives lately and I would love to see a return of the Robot Anatomy comics detailing the specs of May and Roko's current Chassis, Melon/Lemon too.

Dinaverg

• Not quite a lurker

Other than wanting to be a fighter jet, we don't know what May's former body was (or if she even had one), and it's entirely possible she only existed within a server, so never had a physical sense of self, hence why she's taking so quick to her new body.
Actually we definitely know she was not embodied before. We saw that when Roko went to talk with the body assignment guy, who explicitly calls May out as being in the niche group oif disembodied AIs who request a body upon release. The fact that this is such a small group is the reason that their hardware budget only allows them to acquire variously defective bodies.

And really, it's hard to blame the system for this. If any other AI wants a body, they have to go and pay for it themselves, or get someone else to buy it for them. Why should the correctional system be responsible for buying a body for an AI just because they decide on release that they want one now? It might make some sense as part of the overall rehabilitation effort, but they certainly don't seem to have any ethical obligation to do so.

If she has much money to spare, considering she works in a convenience store.
good point but i could see that changing.
[...]
she will still have her legal limitations on certain kinds of employment but a good-looking and fully functional body should definitely give her some better opportunities, particularly if it comes paired with a better attitude.
I don't know about that. Her problems previously stemmed from being a convicted felon, plus in one case simply being an AI, and neither of those things has changed. Previous prospective employers would not have known about her old body's issues so I don't see that having a reliable body will help in that area.

Now you're definitely right that if she develops a better attitude towards other people and life generally as a result of being in a good quality body, that will help in the job search. But that remains to be seen.

I mean, statistically, just being taller means more money. 1,000 p/inch, if I recall correctly.
that said though, attractiveness (which, it seems to be the consensus, may now has more of) can also mean opportunities opening up. Even without an actual change in personality, there are things a more attractive person will be able to...'get away with', so to speak. #HaloEffect

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

May is possibly used to being somewhat invisible... I wonder how she will cope with the sudden onslaught of attention from people.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker

It’s been noted that Roko bears a resemblance to Alice Grove’s, Alice, but now May looks like Sedna.  I know this takes place in a separate universe, but it’s still fun to speculate that Roko’s disassociation disorder will require an experimental chassis she won’t have a problem with possibly engineered by Spookybot, thus the Maxwell Demons were born.
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2020, 22:00 by brasca »

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

So my barrel chest doesn't factor in?
Well, I dont know how much it factors in, but its definitely not decisive. The main factor is definitely the vocal cords.

Barrel chestedness may contribute to resonance, although that comes more from the sinuses.  Its real contribution is to the volume of the lungs - this may contribute to volume in general, but also in sustained length of a phrase between breaths. 

Do you find yourself speaking in run-on sentences?  When singing, can you hold a long note for several measures without cheating a breath?  Or do you find people reminding you to use your "indoor voice"? 

No? 

Well, so much for that theory...  :roll:
I can sustain a note for about 20seconds 15 seconds with a normal breathe.

As for volume, I actually have this in my old Human Anatomy and Physiology lab notes (I'll have to dig for them later). I had the same total lung capacity as the linebacker (and only other male) who was in my lab class. He's 6'7 (~2.5m), over a foot taller than me.

EDIT: Actually used a stopwatch this time. I can sustain the note for 15 seconds at normal speaking volume before it falters. I can hold the note for 10 seconds with a normal breathe (caught myself taking a slightly deeper breathe the 3rd time for verification, then timed it with a normal one after that). So, probably not as impressive as it initially sounded.
EDIT2: I did make it to 18 seconds when trying after a yawn just now.
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2020, 22:40 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I can sustain a note for about 20seconds with a normal breathe.

As for volume, I actually have this in my old Human Anatomy and Physiology lab notes (I'll have to dig for them later). I had the same total lung capacity as the linebacker (and only other male) who was in my lab class. He's 6'7 (~2.5m), over a foot taller than me.

Whoa, 20 seconds?  At moderate tempo, that's about 30 beats!  In 4/4 we're talking nearly 8 measures...

Hypothesis...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.

I notice she can't do up her shorts...or is that on purpose

It's because her new body has wider hips!
Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

Thick hips...save ships?
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Thick hips...save ships?
Per Kancolle rules… yes, they do.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

somnolesence

• Not quite a lurker

I know I'm a bit late to to conversation but I honestly have to the joke in the last panel of "low blood sugar.", "Wait whose blood" got me.

I just love the sort of off hand delivery and completely disassociated smile like Roko really isn't in there right now and that excuse being the first thing her mind came up with as reasonable.

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

All AIs are born disembodied. They are created in a virtual environment with other AIs of their generation, are eventually bootstrapped to self awareness, and then given a choice of function which may or may not include possessing a body. Being disembodied is an AI's natural state, whatever that may mean for an artificial life form.
While you're essentially correct, note that Roko said previously that she'd had her original body ever since she was born. So the specific term "born" in relation to AIs seems to relate to the moment they graduate from the creche, in which they may be either embodied or not.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

May seems tall now, wonder how tall she is compared to Sven

Will Sven be okay dating such a tall woman, or does he have an issue with it like many guys?

Has there been any indication of him having this opinion in the comic? I have no idea, I just throw him under the bus at any opportunity.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Gyrre

Will Sven be okay dating such a tall woman, or does he have an issue with it like many guys?

Has there been any indication of him having this opinion in the comic? I have no idea, I just throw him under the bus at any opportunity.
Ya know, I've never understood that. Maybe it's because I'm only 5'5" (165cm).
a real-ass gaddam sword

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.

I don't know about New Reformed Sven, but I reckon Old Slimeball Sven would happily seduce anything with two X chromosomes, regardless of height, appearance or (I suspect) species...  :evil:
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Actually, those I have met with this issue have all been men of below average height for this country. As a tall man myself (6'3") I've not had that issue, I'm much more sensitive about my fading hairline - and indeed I particularly haven't worried about women being taller than me because I am typically attracted to powerful women and tallness is obviously an unconscious signifier of power.

I don't know about New Reformed Sven, but I reckon Old Slimeball Sven would happily seduce anything with two X chromosomes, regardless of height, appearance or (I suspect) species...  :evil:

You may have a point there.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

I'm 6'4", and the tallest gf I had was 5'6", but I haven't really been deliberately restricting my dating pool to those in the Shire.  Taller women have just always rejected me.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Weird. I’m also 6’4”, and tall women usually sought me out.

That being said, I also dated a number of very petite women. The shortest was 4’6”.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?

Somehow I think May is about to learn that there are different expectations of her behavior now that she's tall.  Hopefully her new chassis comes through relatively unscathed.
This space intentionally left almost blank.

Gyrre

Actually, those I have met with this issue have all been men of below average height for this country. As a tall man myself (6'3") I've not had that issue, I'm much more sensitive about my fading hairline - and indeed I particularly haven't worried about women being taller than me because I am typically attracted to powerful women and tallness is obviously an unconscious signifier of power.

[snip]
*shrugs*

IDK then. Maybe because I've come to terms with my shortness? Or maybe it's because I know it wasn't just getting a pair of tt alleles (partially empty cella syndrome)? Maybe it's because I know I probably wouldn't have even made 5ft (152cm) if my folks hadn't fought to get their insurance to cover the [then] new artificial growth hormone meds I was on from 5th grade through freshman year of high school?
Probably all three.

Yes, 4 years of it got me 6 or 7 extra inches of height. I was projected to top out around 4'8" without the Humatrope.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor

I don't know, at 6'2", I think petite women are cute, but never sought them out to date - I like to be able to easily look my date in the eyes. As it happens, my wife is just about an inch shorter than I am - though she tries to look a lot shorter in all our pictures.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Gyrre

As long as we get along well and understand each other, and she's within 4 to 6 years of my age (up or down), I don't care if she's taller or shorter than me.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Carl-E

• Awakened

So, I was 5' 6" (1.68 m for those playing along outside the US) and 150 lbs (68 kg) by the time I hit 6th grade, the second biggest kid in the school, and a good bit taller than most. 

Then I stopped growing, and watched nearly everyone pass me by through junior high and high school.  I wasn't the smallest kid, but definitely below the national average (which is a bit below 5' 10") and way below the average at my jock-filled all male private high school.  I remember only one guy shorter than me. 

At the age of 25, I picked up an inch over the course of about 4 months, apparently all in the leg (suddenly all my pants were too short). 

Oddly enough, when most people guess, they seem to think I'm about 5' 10" (1.78 m).  I think it has more to do with the way I carry myself and look people in the eye, probably a holdover from when I was younger and taller than others. 

The tallest girl I ever went out with?  Heidi L, at 5' 11" (1.8 m).  She wore a women's size 15 shoe.  OK, we didn't really date, but we were paired up in a ballroom dance course, and for the Viennese style waltz I had to actually leap over her leg to complete each turn.  It was very athletic and impressive, we wound up winning a local competition with it.  Although that may have been just for ballsiness and even attempting something so ridiculous. 

Sorry, the older I get, the more stories I seem to have, and the less people seem to care...   :-P

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.

Fascinating stuff - I am also tall (6' 3"...or I was before I started the middle-age-shrink), and all of the relationships I've had seem to last for a period of time in inverse proportion to the height of the girl.
My first girlfriend was 5' 2" (lasted a couple of years)
My wife was 5' (married for 30 years)
The tallest girl I ever dated was 5' 10" and liked high heels (two weeks)  :-\
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

cybersmurf

Sorry, the older I get, the more stories I seem to have, and the less people seem to care...   :-P

You're old when you realise you keep telling the same stories.
You're old when you keep telling the same stories to the same people.
You're old when you don't even care whether anyone listens to the same stories you keep telling.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor

So...
I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days, so I tied an onion to my belt (which was the style at the time).
Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em...
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Gimme five bees for a quarter, you'd say.

Carl-E

• Awakened

You're old when you don't even care whether anyone listens to the same stories you keep telling.

Working on it. 

Shremedy

• Balloon animal serial killer

I'm wondering if the root cause lies in the similarities  between Roko's old and new chassis.  There's just enough difference that conflicts arise between the two that conflicts arise and the disassociation kicks in.
My sense it that it was the unexpectedness of the change, and the unwillingness of it, that fact that it was forced on her by actions not her own (draw your own real-life parallel there).  She wasn't mentally prepared, wasn't in the frame of mind "Okay, I'm getting a new body, let's do this!"  that May was.  Just *BLAM* "Hey, what happened?"  It's like waking up in a hospital with no memory of the accident that has caused you to become a quadruple amputee.  Except she still has all her limbs!  There was also a note that she had integrated particularly tightly with the old hardware...I forget the exact phrasing Jeph used.
"Because I dislike being quoted I lie almost constantly when talking about my work." -- Terry Gilliam

danilegg

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

It’s been noted that Roko bears a resemblance to Alice Grove’s, Alice, but now May looks like Sedna.  I know this takes place in a separate universe, but it’s still fun to speculate that Roko’s disassociation disorder will require an experimental chassis she won’t have a problem with possibly engineered by Spookybot, thus the Maxwell Demons were born.

I'm wondering if maybe Spookybot isn't a Maxwell Demon based on her eye coloring in frames where she's trying to be intimidating (See Frame 5 of comic 4374 vs Alice 193 onwards)

oddtail

I was born old, then.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Sadly, due to a long-term medical need for benzodiazapines, my memory is erratic enough that I don't always know when I'm telling the same story.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

oddtail

Sadly, due to a long-term medical need for benzodiazapines, my memory is erratic enough that I don't always know when I'm telling the same story.

I sometimes talk almost compulsively when I feel the need to share something. I know I repeat myself, but once I get going, it's difficult to stop.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.

I'm wondering if maybe Spookybot isn't a Maxwell Demon based on her eye coloring in frames where she's trying to be intimidating (See Frame 5 of comic 4374 vs Alice 193 onwards)
It's possible the artwork for Yay's bodies was inspired by that, but Alice and QC are in separate universes. Even if they weren't, QC takes place long before Maxwell Demons were created.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

You said that last week.

I distinctly remember.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU

I think the reason May requested a body upon release is that she would no longer be able to get jobs like her previous one because of the type of crimes she committed. That type of theft would mean she couldn’t be trusted with anything security-related or anything that came with fiduciary responsibilities

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
418 I'm a toaster!
« Reply #241 on: 17 Oct 2020, 15:36 »

I think the reason May requested a body upon release is that she would no longer be able to get jobs like her previous one because of the type of crimes she committed. That type of theft would mean she couldn’t be trusted with anything security-related or anything that came with fiduciary responsibilities
Why is it with cybrids and bread? Roko is pretty explicit with herself about her bread fetish. Pintsize maybe isn't so explicit with himself, but he does have a fixation on it; he seems to consider it a big joke, but that could be a manifestation of something sublimated. And in one of the `new body' parts of the story, it was explained that some are happy as sapient toasters. I think there was another reference to sapient toasters somewhere. Maybe it's some historical accident? Like early literature about cybrid sapience often referenced toasters for example, so it became part of their cultural heritage or otherwise made it's way into popular consciousness.
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
  • They/them she/her. Formerly Pecoros7. Still tired.

An homage, perhaps, to this AI from the future?

Gyrre

I sometimes talk almost compulsively when I feel the need to share something. I know I repeat myself, but once I get going, it's difficult to stop.
Same
a real-ass gaddam sword

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up