THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

There was an idea... Northampton's own superhero team! (choose five)

Titan/Bubbles - Military training, hardware and a dislike for exploiters!
- 23 (14.6%)
Cutting Edge/May - A martial artist and melee weapons fan who has had enough of petty crime!
- 5 (3.2%)
Skullmaster/Sam Bean - The plucky sword-weilding sidekick!
- 17 (10.8%)
The Java Witch/Dora Bianchi - It turns out all that wiccan stuff is for realsies!
- 10 (6.4%)
Pizza Girl - Might as well have a veteran on the team!
- 19 (12.1%)
Steve - Because a super-spy never retires!
- 14 (8.9%)
Pink Lightning/Momo - It turns out those tasers are a LOT more adaptable than you'd think!
- 13 (8.3%)
Spookybot/Yay Newfriend - A puppet-master changing the world in the battlefield of cyberspace!
- 12 (7.6%)
Vigilance/Roko Basilisk - There are lots of surprises in that chassis and lots of wrongs done under colour of law!
- 15 (9.6%)
Captain Liberty/Abbie Potter - She took an oath to protect and serve, after all!
- 2 (1.3%)
Ms Gadget/Emily Azuma - She's upgraded a lot of stuff in her time; she was first!
- 24 (15.3%)
Other (please specify in the comments)
- 3 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4356-4360 (21st to 25th September 2020)  (Read 18476 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Believe it or not, this poll came to me when I was walking to get myself some lunch today! Please don't take this too seriously. I'm just letting my inner superhero geek/nerd take flight!

A mysterious and very, very wealthy benefactor has been taking note of all the little petty injustices and problems of the world and has decided to set up a group to equalise the balance been the ordinary folk and the powerful. Because they're a nerd and haven't got the patience for the years changing the law and political culture would take (assuming it's doable), they've decided to found a superhero group instead. Because their social circle is so small, they're pretty much stuck with the cast from which to build their band of heroes.

Who would you choose to be the QC universe's equivalent of the Defenders, the New Warriors or a similar 'grass roots' superhero group? In deference to TV Tropes.org, I've decided to give five votes so you can make a Five Man Band. Don't feel the obligation to find an exact match (or any match at all) to the roles; I just wanted to prove to myself that it could be done!

My team (The Equalisers):
  • Vigilance/Roko Basilisk - Leader - This whole thing with May has soured her on the idea of working inside the system. Thanks to her police training, semi-legal resources that Jeremy and Seven gladly make available and the hidden extras her advanced chassis allows, she's going to bring down those who do injustice whilst in authority or under the colour of law. Non-violently if possible, although she fears it isn't...
  • Cutting Edge/May - Lancer - May has mostly the same motives as Roko but about the opposite approach to balancing the social scales for those at the bottom of the heap. She brings to the game her quite superb martial arts skills, armed and unarmed, and her remarkably clear-minded cynicism;
  • Pink Lightning/Momo - The Chick - The mediator and conciliator of the team who basically finds the balance point between the paladin-like Vigilance and the outright Templar-like Cutting Edge; Oh, those tasers? They're got a lot of utility functions and the 'eels' are actually a grappling hook system!
  • Titan/Bubbles - The Big Guy - Actually the least aggressive of the team but there's no doubt that she hasn't got the problem with being their tank and their unstoppable force, far more a protector and liberator than an avenger;
  • Ms Gadget/Emily Azuma - The Smart Guy - Arguably the team's 'token fleshie' but there is no doubt that she's a technology savant for all of her weird ideas and weird perspectives. There is not a gadget the team uses that hasn't been through her hands at least once and there is some indication that she has had more than a few non-standard upgrades of her own!

Naturally every superhero team has its own support team. For example, Claire as the team's Ms Research, Marten as the 'token normal' morale officer/team mom and Marigold as their Voice With an Internet Connection.

Also, please be very, very willing to bring in other characters. I've suggested Emily as a possible Spark-like technical genius but Raven really is one of those. Or how about Melon as a Pinkie Pie-like reality distorter? Or Millifeulle as the armourer/tech gal? What about Faye as a Wildcat-like street-fighting hero? Hannelore going the Bruce Wayne/Katherine Kane route? Or bring in characters from parallel universes like Alice or Amber O'Malley/Amazi-Girl?

Go to town; this poll deserves it!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
Re: WCDT strips 4356-4360 (21st to 25th September 2020)
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2020, 04:30 »

Pretty much the same as yours, but added a other: Marten aka the NEW Vespa-avenger!

"Apparently because you defeated her, you got the job."

"WHAT."

"Good luck!"

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2020, 11:52 »

Can we bring back the Vespa Avenger?
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2020, 12:45 »

Ok, how about this team: Emily, Melon, Fairy Girl, Jimbo, and Barry. Totally ineffective at fighting crime because none of them are operating in the same cognitive universe, but the wacky hijinks would be entertaining.

No? Ok.

Better team: The Secret Bakery Warriors

Renee/Bread Woman
Elliot/Muffin Man
Brun/Croissant Girl
Sam/Skullmaster
Jim/The Secret Baker
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2020, 18:24 »

"To the Moon, Alice...TO THE MOON!"
What the hell are YOU staring at?

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2020, 18:26 »

Comic’s up. So we’re just a straight-up sitcom now.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2020, 18:30 »

If it's a sitcom, then the adorable quirky neighbour (Millefeuille) will stick her head around the door in

I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2020, 18:42 »

Renee "So I'm not Mom this week.. I'm Dad?"

"Apparently!"

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #8 on: 20 Sep 2020, 19:12 »

Brun is an 11th-level Barback with a Charisma of 16, for a +3 bonus on saving throws, and a Floofiness of 27 (+8).
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Gyrre

« Reply #9 on: 20 Sep 2020, 20:42 »

"The difference between tragedy and comedy is perspective."
(I may have butchered that.)

As someone who's had all manner of roommates, coming home to a wrecked kitchen is NOT funny when it happens to you.
I say this as someone who's dealt with IRL I Love Lucy level and nearly Buster Keaton level antics. Being the main-character/supporting cast in those situations sucks.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #10 on: 20 Sep 2020, 21:13 »

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #11 on: 20 Sep 2020, 21:24 »

Schadenfreude is definitely a thing. Bad things happening to others has been popular entertainment for as long as people have been telling stories, and likely since before the species developed the ability to speak.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #12 on: 20 Sep 2020, 21:47 »

Destroying the kitchen while cooking is absolutely hilarious.

Except grease fires.  Grease fires are no fun.  Always keep a pot lid and baking soda handy.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #13 on: 20 Sep 2020, 22:36 »

Brun made dinner?
Okay - but it might be something like ketchup on noodles   :-D
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

the silent firefly

• Plantmonster
« Reply #14 on: 20 Sep 2020, 23:02 »

Brun has covid hair

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #15 on: 20 Sep 2020, 23:19 »

It looks like Jeph's tired himself out with the involved character writing and having to design May's new chassis so he's going to take a vacation by just drawing 'two characters sitting on a couch saying random things' for a week. This, by the way, is more-or-less how Questionable Content started out.

One thing that does occur to me is that Renee is trying to show Brun respect by not infantalising her. I also think that she's probably going to have to adjust a bit to sharing the chores without feeling she's imposing on a guest. Because she isn't anymore.

If it's a sitcom, then the adorable quirky neighbour (Millefeuille) will stick her head around the door in

I think that there's a high level of probability that, long term, Millie is going to end up moving in without realising it.
~~~~

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #16 on: 20 Sep 2020, 23:20 »

Regarding the poll:

How about "The Chaos Team"?

Pintsize (his random actions bewilder and bamboozle the opposition);
Fairy Girl (inexplicably appears with her faithful reindeer sidekick);
Emily (keeps the team supplied with instant morphing costumes with random side-effects);
Cossette (her super-clumsiness is a danger to anyone near her);
Melon (because - well - Melon)...

- with occasional appearances by guest heroes(?), like:
Raven (randomly teleports into the action with whatever unproven cutting-edge tech she's been working on);
Punchbot (still under the sad misapprehension that he's any good at this fighting thing);
Clinton's hand (which has a secret life as a super-hero, only coming out at night while Clinton is asleep)...

"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

jesslc

• Furry furrier
« Reply #17 on: 20 Sep 2020, 23:36 »

I love Brun! :-D

Looking forward to Brun & Renee being goofs week. Did Brun research how to be a good roommate I wonder? (Love that - it's totally the sort of thing I would do).

And I also love how Renee responds here - she catches herself part way through and switches tack to give Brun a very clear/direct response instead of what she was originally going to say. As someone who quite often struggles with understanding when to taking things literally (or not), I really appreciate seeing Renee do this for her friend's sake.

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #18 on: 21 Sep 2020, 00:41 »

• Steve, disillusioned by the system, has been retired for months, but the itch for action only grows. He's contacted by
  • VespAvenger, tired of the the bureaucracy of the agency, and yearning for the simpler days of vigilante justice. While they're trying to draft the initial paperwork (hint: they get bored half way through and never finish) they order a pizza, delivered by
  • Pizza Girl, who offers to join them, thinking vigilante justice would be a good way to get back at her archnemesis Penelope, who everyone seems to confuse her with. They laugh off the idea that a themed pizza delivery agent could be of any use, but they'll see, Pizza Girl will show them what she's capable of. VespAvenger, thinking about finally quitting the agency, notices an ad wanting a substitute swordfighting teacher. She takes the job and is impressed by the ferocity and quick wits demonstrated by a certain student moonlighting as a spray artist and assistant mechanic:
  • Skullmaster. They need some equipment---whom else does Steve know to call than
  • Emily Azuma---not officially a member, but she sells them cool gadgets and they sometimes do her a favor or two---whether she notices is never made clear. The vigilante heroes soon turn to shadier practices, and eventually outright villainy. With Skullmaster growing inured to the violence, Sam's home life becomes ever more strained, eventually running away to live with VespAvenger.
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2020, 01:33 by N.N. Marf »
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #19 on: 21 Sep 2020, 01:26 »

I love Brun! :-D

Looking forward to Brun & Renee being goofs week. Did Brun research how to be a good roommate I wonder? (Love that - it's totally the sort of thing I would do).

And I also love how Renee responds here - she catches herself part way through and switches tack to give Brun a very clear/direct response instead of what she was originally going to say. As someone who quite often struggles with understanding when to taking things literally (or not), I really appreciate seeing Renee do this for her friend's sake.

That’s why Renee is one of my fave characters :) she tries really hard

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #20 on: 21 Sep 2020, 03:03 »

Looks like Brun's hair might be long enough for a ponytail. I'd bet that would look silly though (there's no way to control this much floof).
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #21 on: 21 Sep 2020, 03:07 »

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."

"Comedy is tragedy plus time"

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #22 on: 21 Sep 2020, 04:33 »

Brun has covid hair

This comment bothers me because it implies that having ethnic/fluffy/natural hair is a sign of being unkept or lacking access to a salon. It’s pretty rude.

Timemaster

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Master of Time
« Reply #23 on: 21 Sep 2020, 05:51 »

Brun has covid hair

This comment bothers me because it implies that having ethnic/fluffy/natural hair is a sign of being unkept or lacking access to a salon. It’s pretty rude.

You‘re joking, right?
Relax, it's just a comic.

Vaygr

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #24 on: 21 Sep 2020, 06:44 »

I actually like Brun's new floofness, it makes her look cuter.

dutchrvl

« Reply #25 on: 21 Sep 2020, 07:02 »

Brun has covid hair

Eehm, how is that joke implying that ethnic/fluffy/natural hair is unkept? By interpreting it that way, it seems you are actually the one who finds Brun's hair unkept.
Most covid-hair jokes (well, in MA where I live, that is) are simply comments on somebody's hair being longer/more voluminous than they usually have it, not on whether it looks good/bad.

notStanley

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #26 on: 21 Sep 2020, 09:31 »

I read "covid hair" as just been longer than usual for a trim.  And since I am lucky enough to work from home, maybe not even washed today.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #27 on: 21 Sep 2020, 09:35 »

{reads}

Phew... not alone...
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #28 on: 21 Sep 2020, 11:23 »

I included Sam on my superhero team because the supervillain is, of course, Chaos Loaf. Only the demon's creator can bring it to justice.

the silent firefly

• Plantmonster
« Reply #29 on: 21 Sep 2020, 13:28 »

Brun has covid hair

i am sorry you are bothered. i'd like to think it is obvious that was not the intended message. notStanley read it correctly (see above). i suppose i could have written "Brun has covid hair today" but it did not occur to me.

coincidentally, i'm a bit bothered that you assumed that my was implication and that it was rude. i would appreciate a good faith reading of what is posted here (by everyone, not just me). the nature of the interaction in these WCDT threads is overwhelmingly one of light-hearted humor so i think that the context highlights the intention.

that said, that no names have been called speaks to the maturity and civility of this forum. congrats to all of us.

the silent firefly

• Plantmonster
« Reply #30 on: 21 Sep 2020, 13:30 »

"hair plus time equals comedy"

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #31 on: 21 Sep 2020, 14:26 »

Brun has covid hair

I'm pretty sure with how time passes in the comic it's still like 2007 over there so I find that unlikely, she probably still has futile hope about Obama and shit
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #32 on: 21 Sep 2020, 14:28 »

Brun has covid hair

i am sorry you are bothered. i'd like to think it is obvious that was not the intended message. notStanley read it correctly (see above). i suppose i could have written "Brun has covid hair today" but it did not occur to me.

coincidentally, i'm a bit bothered that you assumed that my was implication and that it was rude. i would appreciate a good faith reading of what is posted here (by everyone, not just me). the nature of the interaction in these WCDT threads is overwhelmingly one of light-hearted humor so i think that the context highlights the intention.

that said, that no names have been called speaks to the maturity and civility of this forum. congrats to all of us.

Global Moderator Comment One of the oft-learned lessons on this forum is that intentions are not magic, and when it comes to people of colour, these kinds of turns of phrase can quite commonly be hurtful without meaning to be and betray attitudes we don't even know that we have. Please don't take it personally that somebody noted this to you, as you say, it's part of how the mature and civil atmosphere was created and maintained.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #33 on: 21 Sep 2020, 14:32 »

I'm pretty sure with how time passes in the comic it's still like 2007 over there so I find that unlikely, she probably still has futile hope about Obama and shit

It's an alternate universe, though. Who knows what year it is there?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #34 on: 21 Sep 2020, 14:33 »

Well, not much has changed, but I'm told they live underwater now.

Perhaps your great-great-great granddaughter could help us out with a calendar?

(this may be a UK-only reference)

Wombat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #35 on: 21 Sep 2020, 15:04 »

Well, not much has changed, but I'm told they live underwater now.

Perhaps your great-great-great granddaughter could help us out with a calendar?

(this may be a UK-only reference)
Does it count if my first association was the music video for the Jonas Brothers cover of it that played on Disney Channel back in, like, 2006?

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #36 on: 21 Sep 2020, 15:13 »

TIL that "unkept" is a word. I kept on thinking that this was a misspelling of "unkempt" (maybe that's its etymology, dunno).
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #37 on: 21 Sep 2020, 18:25 »

New strip!

Yeah, huh. Is texting kinda like text based telepathy for robots?

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #38 on: 21 Sep 2020, 18:33 »

NEWS FLASH: Renee and Brun are still absolute goofballs.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #39 on: 21 Sep 2020, 18:53 »

Brun has improved her cooking skills! Long live the Internet. Now she can prepare noodles with ketchup AND cheese.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #40 on: 21 Sep 2020, 20:10 »

It's blueberries topped with Dorito dust D:

cybersmurf

« Reply #41 on: 21 Sep 2020, 23:12 »

I included Sam on my superhero team because the supervillain is, of course, Chaos Loaf. Only the demon's creator can bring it to justice.

Chaos loaf has become sentient? Does that mean I have to be aware of loaf psykers?
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #42 on: 21 Sep 2020, 23:22 »

It occurs to me that the secret of Brun's success is that she followed the instructions precisely. So precisely that you'd think that she wrote them herself. Of course, in Brun's mind, what else are you supposed to do? If nothing else, she has skills that, should the owner of The Horrible Revelation need a new short order chef, he's got one!

I just love panel 2. Brun is so happy that Renee liked her food! That level of success means the world to her!

Huh... More indication that Brun may be ace and possibly also aro. Yes, Millie is a friend and she enjoyed their 'lunch date', but she feels no particular urgency to contact her. I wonder if Jeph is planning to take this somewhere?
~~~~

Gyrre

« Reply #43 on: 21 Sep 2020, 23:27 »

As I understand it, it takes approximately 21 years for that.

Looks like Brun's hair might be long enough for a ponytail. I'd bet that would look silly though (there's no way to control this much floof).

Actually, that'd be pretty cute.

Ever seen floofy ponytails before? Friggin' adorable.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gyrre

« Reply #44 on: 22 Sep 2020, 02:04 »

It occurs to me that the secret of Brun's success is that she followed the instructions precisely. So precisely that you'd think that she wrote them herself. Of course, in Brun's mind, what else are you supposed to do? If nothing else, she has skills that, should the owner of The Horrible Revelation need a new short order chef, he's got one!

I just love panel 2. Brun is so happy that Renee liked her food! That level of success means the world to her!

Huh... More indication that Brun may be ace and possibly also aro. Yes, Millie is a friend and she enjoyed their 'lunch date', but she feels no particular urgency to contact her. I wonder if Jeph is planning to take this somewhere?

Renee just might dig up some old church cookbooks and see just what Brun can accomplish.
a real-ass gaddam sword

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #45 on: 22 Sep 2020, 03:00 »

As I understand it, it takes approximately 21 years for that.
This recipe allows substituting distance for time, but a finer palate would disagree.
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #46 on: 22 Sep 2020, 05:36 »

Yes, Millie is a friend and she enjoyed their 'lunch date', but she feels no particular urgency to contact her. I wonder if Jeph is planning to take this somewhere?

Out in the park, where she can meet Rupert again.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Gyrre

« Reply #47 on: 22 Sep 2020, 07:54 »

Yes, Millie is a friend and she enjoyed their 'lunch date', but she feels no particular urgency to contact her. I wonder if Jeph is planning to take this somewhere?

Out in the park, where she can meet Rupert again.
[golf_clap.mp3]
a real-ass gaddam sword

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #48 on: 22 Sep 2020, 18:05 »

Comic's up.

Seems like Renee's story arc is gearing up. My money is on her dating The-Person-Formerly-Known-As-Shitty-Dan.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #49 on: 22 Sep 2020, 18:52 »

No insult to Jeph, but he really can't draw 'Hot guys.' Just... no. *lol*
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up