THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

There was an idea... Northampton's own superhero team! (choose five)

Titan/Bubbles - Military training, hardware and a dislike for exploiters!
- 23 (14.6%)
Cutting Edge/May - A martial artist and melee weapons fan who has had enough of petty crime!
- 5 (3.2%)
Skullmaster/Sam Bean - The plucky sword-weilding sidekick!
- 17 (10.8%)
The Java Witch/Dora Bianchi - It turns out all that wiccan stuff is for realsies!
- 10 (6.4%)
Pizza Girl - Might as well have a veteran on the team!
- 19 (12.1%)
Steve - Because a super-spy never retires!
- 14 (8.9%)
Pink Lightning/Momo - It turns out those tasers are a LOT more adaptable than you'd think!
- 13 (8.3%)
Spookybot/Yay Newfriend - A puppet-master changing the world in the battlefield of cyberspace!
- 12 (7.6%)
Vigilance/Roko Basilisk - There are lots of surprises in that chassis and lots of wrongs done under colour of law!
- 15 (9.6%)
Captain Liberty/Abbie Potter - She took an oath to protect and serve, after all!
- 2 (1.3%)
Ms Gadget/Emily Azuma - She's upgraded a lot of stuff in her time; she was first!
- 24 (15.3%)
Other (please specify in the comments)
- 3 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4356-4360 (21st to 25th September 2020)  (Read 18477 times)

beeawwb

• Not quite a lurker
Re: WCDT strips 4356-4360 (21st to 25th September 2020)
« Reply #50 on: 22 Sep 2020, 19:09 »

$hitty Dan was in to TROGDOR... H*R in universe confirmed... What crossover would you most like to see?

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #51 on: 22 Sep 2020, 21:17 »

some Dans, meanwhile, just double-down and get worse.

EDIT: also, there's no guarantee that his insides are as nice as his outside.  Could be that the class just has two Dans who are "cool" now.
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2020, 02:12 by St.Clair »

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #52 on: 22 Sep 2020, 21:20 »

Sorry, Bubbles, you're off my team. Shitty Dan is the new Titan.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

MMoyle

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #53 on: 22 Sep 2020, 22:05 »

Why is Brun doing the dishes? Back when I was living in Happy Valley, our rule was always "Them as don't cook, cleans up!"

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #54 on: 22 Sep 2020, 22:17 »

That was always the rule in my extended family during the holidays.  I am a turkey (amongst other things) expert, so if I'm going to be a slave to a dead bird for 6 hours, I'm going to go into a food coma after, and not lift a finger.  My uncles were always good at doing the washing up, but my father did fuck-all, either in preparation or cleanup, which is one of the many reasons that I resent him.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #55 on: 22 Sep 2020, 23:17 »

It's amazing what that last 33% of puberty plus four years at college can do for a guy! Also, yes, High School is a miserable place.

Here's a prediction: Renee has been lamenting the stunted nature of her emotional life and her inability to find someone really interested in her. Then a nerdy guy from High School suddenly appears on her timeline without warning. So, they strike up an online conversation, he comes over to see her and, literally with no warning, we're in a Jim and Vernonica scenario: The two of them are in bed together, post-coitus and...

DAN: "So, I was thinking of dropping everything and moving out here to be with you."

RENEE: "Nothing could make me happier!"

I might be wrong but it seems odd that a hot guy who she knows should turn up in Renee's field of view so soon after she laments a lack of said things in her life. Consider it a 'Chekhov's tweet'!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #56 on: 22 Sep 2020, 23:42 »

Honestly, middle school was worse.

Granted, most of the shitness in high school ended in sophmore year after a failed attempt to shove me in a locker. The two guys couldn't get it closed thanks to my broad shoulders. And they both ran off pretty damn quick when I pushed the locker open.

EDIT: Nearly all the bullying I received throughout middle and high school (grades 6 through 12) was verbal. Apart from the locker incident, there were three shoving matches that almost got me expelled from middle school, and paper footballs aimed at my head by cowards.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #57 on: 23 Sep 2020, 00:38 »

Why is Brun doing the dishes? Back when I was living in Happy Valley, our rule was always "Them as don't cook, cleans up!"
Wouldnt that mean people fight over who gets to cook ?

Well I dont know how others see that, but personally I'd much rather cook than clean up.
Carpe Diem

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #58 on: 23 Sep 2020, 00:46 »

Here's a prediction: [...]
I dont see it. Jeph's stories are usually more realistic than that. Even the Sven-Faye relationship had a dedicated pre- and postdevelopment. She was drunk, they had "the talk" before, Sven had been quite nice for some time to her, Sven used "THE LOOK" on her.

Also, funny, apparently I'm too much of a Star Trek fan. I keep writing "Seven" instead of "Sven".
Carpe Diem

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #59 on: 23 Sep 2020, 01:22 »

Don't get me wrong. Dan in Northampton would be a huge endeavour. There would be plenty of Renee brain-slips where she starts calling him 'Shitty Dan' without meaning to and there would follow the endless self-recriminations and trying to work out if she's just naturally a horrible person. Elliot would try to be the overprotective big brother when it is least needed and welcome. He will probably have to deal with the fact that Dan was one of his bullying victims when he was busy succumbing to peer pressure and thus having to double-guess his own reactions to the man. Maybe Brun would try to be helpful (and naturally it would end up being anything but helpful) by comparing Dan to all of Renee's Tinder hook-ups.

Jim and Veronica literally snapped together but they were an exception and there is a feeling of 'destiny' about them - Two lonely people who found someone who filled the holes in their lives. Jeph could get away with setting aside 500 strips for a Danee romance arc before coming to any conclusion.

That said, yeah, it's still a romantic comedy and will leave Clinton (an outside observer) wondering why all his circle seem to be living Romcom lives!
~~~~

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #60 on: 23 Sep 2020, 03:44 »

Pour one out for the people who had to go through being Shitty Dan on the inside.

Here's to those of us with PTSD, mental illnesses and/or abusive parents in highschool, who were not coping and were in the worst possible environment to learn how.
oh god

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #61 on: 23 Sep 2020, 05:00 »

Wouldnt that mean people fight over who gets to cook ?

Well I dont know how others see that, but personally I'd much rather cook than clean up.

The rule here is that the cook cleans. It motivates you to keep your workplace clean as you go.

In practice, we both pitch in anyway. But really, cooking with the knowledge that you don't have to clean the mess you're creating doesn't lead to good things.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
  • They/them she/her. Formerly Pecoros7. Still tired.
« Reply #62 on: 23 Sep 2020, 10:13 »

"The difference between tragedy and comedy is perspective."
(I may have butchered that.)

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."

Indeed. Look no further than the humble nut shot. For the person enduring it, there is nothing less funny on earth. For the people watching it, it is the purest distillation of comedy.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #63 on: 23 Sep 2020, 14:17 »

Regarding the poll:

Clinton's hand (which has a secret life as a super-hero, only coming out at night while Clinton is asleep)...

Thank you, Thing. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #64 on: 23 Sep 2020, 17:12 »

Honestly, middle school was worse.

Granted, most of the shitness in high school ended in sophmore year after a failed attempt to shove me in a locker. The two guys couldn't get it closed thanks to my broad shoulders. And they both ran off pretty damn quick when I pushed the locker open.

EDIT: Nearly all the bullying I received throughout middle and high school (grades 6 through 12) was verbal. Apart from the locker incident, there were three shoving matches that almost got me expelled from middle school, and paper footballs aimed at my head by cowards.

Agreed.  Although I went to junior high instead of middle school, but things started to suck in the 5th grade and 6th grade.  I didn't really notice at the time because those grades were above all the others in elementary school so it seemed better than it really was.  Things improved once I got to high school, but the paranoia never went away until after I graduated.  Since then I've chosen to forgive and overlook when it comes to friend requests on Facebook, but in the last few years I've learned that some people are the same assholes they were in high school.  I wouldn't mind so much if their lives sucked, but some are doing well for themselves so schadenfreude denied.   

I can't say that I looked as good as Shitty Dan years after high school, but I've aged better than most of my classmates so at least I've got that.   

Gyrre

« Reply #65 on: 23 Sep 2020, 17:25 »

some Dans, meanwhile, just double-down and get worse.

EDIT: also, there's no guarantee that his insides are as nice as his outside.  Could be that the class just has two Dans who are "cool" now.

Yeah, the whole if-that's-what-you-think-I-am-then-that's-what-I'll-be reaction can really mess things up. Granted, the response is only half the the equation.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Reaver

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #66 on: 23 Sep 2020, 18:05 »

Ooof  Shitty Dan might not be shitty anymore, but that text sure was.
Bravery is looking down the dark hall, knowing that you are utterly terrified of the dark, and charging in anyways.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #67 on: 23 Sep 2020, 18:06 »

That was some slip, Renee! I think your brain just slid down multiple sets of stairs :/
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #68 on: 23 Sep 2020, 18:10 »

Doesn't `$' represent `s' more than `t?'
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #69 on: 23 Sep 2020, 18:27 »

DAMN IT, RENEE....

*lol*

Next comic, he just goes 'Eh, whatever.'

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #70 on: 23 Sep 2020, 19:07 »

"My Brain slipped"?!?   :roll:
Renee must text fast to get that whole message out without some part of her brain engaging and saying "wait a minute..."

So, a fast texting thumb, and no impulse control = a recipe for disaster  :laugh:

« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2020, 19:12 by DaiJB »
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #71 on: 23 Sep 2020, 19:16 »

*sees battery level*

Nice.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #72 on: 23 Sep 2020, 20:46 »

"CLEARLY WELL BEFORE YOU STARTED THINKING ABOUT WHAT YOU SAY BEFOREHAND LOL"

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #73 on: 23 Sep 2020, 22:35 »

Yup, BenRG called it.  That was quick...

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #74 on: 23 Sep 2020, 22:45 »

Quote from: Daria
So let me just say that, in my experience, high school sucks. If I had to do it all over again, I'd have started advanced placement classes in preschool so I could go from eighth grade straight to college. However, given the unalterable fact that high school sucks, I'd like to add that if you're lucky enough to have a good friend and a family that cares, it doesn't have to suck quite as much. Otherwise, my advice is: stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience prove you wrong; remember, when the emperor looks naked, the emperor is naked; the truth and a lie are not 'sort of the same thing'; and there is no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza. Thank you."
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #75 on: 23 Sep 2020, 22:56 »

That reminds me of the time when I tried to get pizza out of the oven at the end of a long, trying day, and the oven door imploded. No more oven, no more pizza, and no take out at that time.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #76 on: 23 Sep 2020, 23:33 »

Well, there's their 'meet-cute'. At some point Renee is going to realise her life is a romcom and ask Brun why her life is a romcom. Brun, of course, won't have any knowledge about it and will ask Elliott and Clinton about it. I'm not sure exactly where that will take things. However, I'm expecting Elliot to quote Marten from before Jim and Veronica met: "Which makes me the straight man. I hate being the straight man!"

If a man had made such a huge social gaffe, he might say that he 'wasn't thinking with the head on my shoulders'. Do ladies have a similar saying? Renee was certainly so eager to start a communication that she was acting without thinking, which I suspect may be a feature of her side of Danee, no matter how long it lasts or how serious it gets!

Next comic, he just goes 'Eh, whatever.'

Renee was a goth girl in high school. I'm wondering if she had her own unflattering nickname that he'll use in response and this will be considered 'flirting' rather than the precursor to a fight. You can tell that I don't get how they do romances in the entertainment media, can't you?
~~~~

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #77 on: 23 Sep 2020, 23:52 »

Is there a term for stuffing both your feet into your gullet and munching on the calves for good measure?
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #78 on: 24 Sep 2020, 01:25 »

This is a completely believable verbal gaffe from her, but to get all that into a text before your brain catches up after saying out loud that she ought not severely strains my willing suspension of disbelief.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #79 on: 24 Sep 2020, 01:35 »

Renee's brain didn't slip so much as that it went comatose for 20 mins

Mark7

• My sandbox is crunchy
    • My Music
« Reply #80 on: 24 Sep 2020, 02:03 »

Why is Bubbles naked?
Will be at your local record store this Friday handing out the hot dickings

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #81 on: 24 Sep 2020, 03:22 »

That reminds me of the time when I tried to get pizza out of the oven at the end of a long, trying day, and the oven door imploded. No more oven, no more pizza, and no take out at that time.

Sounds like Boris Johnson's Oven-Ready Brexit deal....

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #82 on: 24 Sep 2020, 03:23 »

Why is Bubbles naked?

???

Is this a patreon thing?
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #83 on: 24 Sep 2020, 03:36 »

Why is Bubbles naked?

???

Is this a patreon thing?

No, it isn't; the closest thing is a bonus comic where (clothed) Bubbles is attempting to make sexy poses for Faye with variable results.
~~~~

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #84 on: 24 Sep 2020, 04:26 »

Maybe confusion with the earlier Bubbles in armour? It wasn't entirely clear from the start that wasn't intrensically a part of her chassis.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #85 on: 24 Sep 2020, 05:08 »

Sounds like Boris Johnson's Oven-Ready Brexit deal....

To be scrupulously fair to him - it was oven-ready.

He merely assumed he'd get around having to eat it ...
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #86 on: 24 Sep 2020, 05:51 »

I just want to add that Renee being used for beats like this is why the mum-friend thing didn't land for me. I think this is more in line with what I understand her character to be.
oh god

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #87 on: 24 Sep 2020, 07:15 »

Shitty Dan may be a good sport about it seeing as how he didn’t mind that being his name in the yearbook.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #88 on: 24 Sep 2020, 08:25 »

Public schools and bullying  :-P
Grade school, beatings and some name calling  :cry:
Middle school, psychological warfare is in its infancy and physical interactions simmer down to intimidation with the occasional shoving  :-\
High school, psychological and social warfare become the modes operand and is refined during this period.  :? Physical violence was almost nonexistent due to proximity to a law enforcement hub. :police:

Conclusion: Public schools suck
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #89 on: 24 Sep 2020, 08:31 »

I had an insightful and nuanced comment prepared, but brain slippage, LOL.

Um, Brün is looking great today.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #90 on: 24 Sep 2020, 10:19 »

Is there a term for stuffing both your feet into your gullet and munching on the calves for good measure?
We call that painful.

notStanley

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #91 on: 24 Sep 2020, 11:11 »

Do not understand the prohibitions against a physical response to a psychological attack.  It does not matter what form of attack, there are no rules in self-defense.  Rules are for a sporting event, not survival.

N.N. Marf

• I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #92 on: 24 Sep 2020, 13:50 »

We call that painful.
I call it prophylactic ouroboration.
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #93 on: 24 Sep 2020, 14:41 »

Why is Bubbles naked?

I was wondering myself that something looked different. The RSS feed links to 3469. I made it a few comics further until I realized I've seen it before, and a few after that was actually the dearmoring of Bubbles.

Gyrre

« Reply #94 on: 24 Sep 2020, 17:28 »

Do not understand the prohibitions against a physical response to a psychological attack.  It does not matter what form of attack, there are no rules in self-defense.  Rules are for a sporting event, not survival.

Because zero-tolerance policies in regards to bullying are brainless and require the school to actively acknowledge that the aggressor is at fault and tell their parent's that to their face. And school faculty have had to deal with generation after generation of terrible parents who think their hellspawn are perfect little angels.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #95 on: 24 Sep 2020, 18:21 »

Comic!

I love Renee's eyebrows in this comic, they're very expressive. Hopefully Renee manages to keep her feet out of her mouth during the coffee date (can we call it a date?).

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #96 on: 24 Sep 2020, 18:46 »

determining if it’s a date might be a retroactive thing, depending on how good/bad it goes

“The naming of dates is a difficult matter” etc etc

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #97 on: 24 Sep 2020, 19:30 »

Good luck, Renee!

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #98 on: 24 Sep 2020, 20:35 »

Comic!

I love Renee's eyebrows in this comic, they're very expressive. Hopefully Renee manages to keep her feet out of her mouth during the coffee date (can we call it a date?).
Brief tangent:

In a school Zoom meeting, one of the teachers gave the class a question of the day. It was "Would you rather have fingers for toes or toes for fingers?" One kid in our class heard that as "fingers for toast or toast for fingers." The next ten minutes of the class dissolved into a deep discussion on how toast fingers would work. Would they regrow? Would it be worth it to eat them anyway? If this applied to your toes as well, what would happen if you stubbed one?

My point: Renee can have romance, or she can have delicious extremity toast. I know which one I'd choose.

SeattleCrochetWoman

• Plantmonster
« Reply #99 on: 24 Sep 2020, 22:42 »

Public schools and bullying  :-P
Grade school, beatings and some name calling  :cry:
Middle school, psychological warfare is in its infancy and physical interactions simmer down to intimidation with the occasional shoving  :-\
High school, psychological and social warfare become the modes operand and is refined during this period.  :? Physical violence was almost nonexistent due to proximity to a law enforcement hub. :police:

Conclusion: Public schools suck

I was bullied, teased and an outcast in Catholic school as much as in public school.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up