THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How will May react to the shirt Marigold brings her?

horrified facial expression trying but unable to stammer out a response
¬_¬ "Ok. Yeah, I deserve this."
"Huh? I don't get it. Whatever." Then, Friday we cut back to May cursing as whatever the meaning is slowly dawns on her.
the above except the shirt signals strange/creepy individuals to start talking to her everywhere she goes, much to her consternation.
"Heh. That's great."
she loves whatever horribleness it is so much she hugs Marbear and thanks her
she holds it up stares at it in silence, then turns to Marigold and apologizes
"Sven is not a mooch?"
other

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4366-4370 (Oct 5th to Oct 9th 2020)  (Read 18178 times)

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
Re: WCDT strips 4366-4370 (Oct 5th to Oct 9th 2020)
« Reply #50 on: 05 Oct 2020, 21:54 »

I honestly could not tell whether that was Emily or Dora until I looked really hard.

MacGyver

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #51 on: 05 Oct 2020, 22:21 »

Magic. I spent so much money on that in the mid 90's. I saved my cards for so long, too. I only sold them about 2 years ago. I didn't have much that was truly valuable, even from that time. Just some dual lands, mainly.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #52 on: 06 Oct 2020, 00:59 »

Oh yeah, they're hitting off alright! Renee's every bit as nervous as I expected and is tripping over her tongue. Meanwhile, Dan is somewhat fitting in with my mental backstory of the two of them: At high school, Renee was a nerd too but I think that Dan, who was a social pariah, could only worship the mysterious, strong-willed goth girl from afar (a cliché, I know but clichés are clichés because they happen a lot). However, given that he's just proposed buying $200 of RPG game cards, I think that her wanting to play MtG with him is a dream come true!

Will they end up in a long-term relationship? Who knows but I do think that Renee may find herself coming to terms with some aspects of her High School life and maybe somewhat coming to terms with her past. However, I still wouldn't be surprised if we have a Veronica and Jim epilogue panel when he announces that he's moving to Northampton to be with her and Renee's reply is basically: 'Yes, please!'

You're doing great Renee. Why are they at CoD rather than The Secret Bakery, though?

Because going to her place of work would maximise the awkwardness of what is already an awkward situation for her. Elliot and Jim would be there; maybe Sam and Brun too. No doubt they would all want to 'help' her hit it off with her 'date' and she really can't handle that additional stress!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

jesslc

• Furry furrier
« Reply #53 on: 06 Oct 2020, 01:04 »

Yep, this is pretty much what I expected from Renee & Dan's coffee date... (at least on Renee's part). Luckily Dan seems to be pretty easy going. 
 :roll: :lol:

I honestly could not tell whether that was Emily or Dora until I looked really hard.
I've had a lot of difficulty telling Emily & Dora apart ever since Emily started working at Coffee of Doom. But this time I knew that was Emily straight away - not sure why. Maybe the t-shirt helped...? (It doesn't seem like something Dora would wear to me).

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #54 on: 06 Oct 2020, 02:30 »

As I see it the original characters have done a lot of growing up.

Some, Hanners and Dora especially, but for the majority not so much

They act more mature than some of the railroaders I've worked with. Thirty, forty, and fifty-somethings who still act like they're somewhere between 13 and 18.

EDIT: avoiding double posting

Yep, this is pretty much what I expected from Renee & Dan's coffee date... (at least on Renee's part). Luckily Dan seems to be pretty easy going. 
 :roll: :lol:

I've had a lot of difficulty telling Emily & Dora apart ever since Emily started working at Coffee of Doom. But this time I knew that was Emily straight away - not sure why. Maybe the t-shirt helped...? (It doesn't seem like something Dora would wear to me).

It's her height and eye color. Her head is much further above the register than Dora's and Dora's irises are practically black while Emily's are brown.
« Last Edit: 06 Oct 2020, 02:38 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #55 on: 06 Oct 2020, 03:03 »

Also, Dora would never make that face without direct instigation.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Gyrre

« Reply #56 on: 06 Oct 2020, 03:25 »

Also, Dora would never make that face without direct instigation.
This is also true.

'Demeanor' then?
a real-ass gaddam sword

ihaveavoice

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #57 on: 06 Oct 2020, 03:43 »

Elliot... Is the rocketship emoji really the one you were going for? What's the intention? "You're not dumb: phallic object."

I thought the same. Like...is that really what you want to say you were going for? After I was done with my initial "wait, I get that you're feeling unsure how you'll be read in general, but is it that weird for you to have put the heart there?" and considering that I'd never paid attention to how much less likely guys are to put hearts on stuff to signify comfort or really liking something. Is that actually something dudes do that much less even now that places like Facebook have a heart and a "care" react option?

And I don't see Clinton and Elliot as acting like kids just because they're awkward. Some people just are, and in a new situation with emotions running high, they'd be much more likely to show it.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #58 on: 06 Oct 2020, 07:19 »

Clothing and hair styles always told me who of the two it was, and also Emily is taller (I think you can tell from the comics).
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #59 on: 06 Oct 2020, 08:30 »

My obsessive nerd brain immediately veered away from "ooh, new romantic possibility" to "BUT WHICH RELEASE WILL THEY PLAY?!"
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

theMarc

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Oh God, it's all over my body.
« Reply #60 on: 06 Oct 2020, 10:35 »

Oh man, nobody get me started on the current state of Magic: the Gathering. Fair warning.
Be kind and generous to all people, even imaginary people who only exist in a webcomic, because that’s good practice for the real world.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #61 on: 06 Oct 2020, 12:08 »

/dons asbestos suit

So what's up with the current state of Magic: the Gathering?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #62 on: 06 Oct 2020, 13:13 »

/dons asbestos suit
Is that a suit made of, or to protect against, asbestos?
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #63 on: 06 Oct 2020, 13:50 »

So, I do not get the “old wounds” thing from Renee and get even less why no-one has remarked on it.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
Meta-podophagy? At least it's not recursive.. yet
« Reply #64 on: 06 Oct 2020, 14:24 »

So, I do not get the “old wounds” thing from Renee and get even less why no-one has remarked on it.
Page 1 row 2 frame 1 shows Dan (is there another Dan I don't recall?) holding 3 cards that look like they might be Magic: The Gathering cards, and ``wanna play some Ma---,'' but Magic: The Gathering isn't necessarily bad.
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #65 on: 06 Oct 2020, 14:29 »

My guess is that both of them despised high school and the connections to who they were at that time (for Dan, that was MTG), and Renee recognizes that and realized too late that she shouldn't have brought it up (similar to the conversation with Elliot and Brun about not being who they were in high school (which I can't find)).

Penquin47

« Reply #66 on: 06 Oct 2020, 18:40 »

Best guess is he got teased and/or bullied a lot, and Magic: the Gathering is part of how he ended up being Shitty Dan.  Jeph tends to be kind of rude about gamers (from all the way back when Marten showed Dora his high school yearbook about skipping prom to play D&D, said he outgrew it, and Faye "translated" that to "he didn't want to die a smelly virgin").

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #67 on: 06 Oct 2020, 18:56 »

Comic's up.

"I can tell."

Real subtle, Renee.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #68 on: 06 Oct 2020, 18:57 »

I used to play Magic: The Gathering. The amount of money I spent on cards... It would make my father quite angry at times. Then again, it was my money to spend how I wanted (half of what I earned with my after-school job went into a savings account, the other half was for fun), so he couldn't really forbid it. I still have my cards somewhere: I wonder if The-Person-Formerly-Known-As-Shitty-Dan wants them? They're vintage! (a.k.a. 'old')
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #69 on: 06 Oct 2020, 19:41 »

Not replica swords, but I DO own a lot of anime figurines.

So yeah, I get him. *lol*

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #70 on: 06 Oct 2020, 19:48 »

I used to play Magic: The Gathering. The amount of money I spent on cards... It would make my father quite angry at times. Then again, it was my money to spend how I wanted (half of what I earned with my after-school job went into a savings account, the other half was for fun), so he couldn't really forbid it. I still have my cards somewhere: I wonder if The-Person-Formerly-Known-As-Shitty-Dan wants them? They're vintage! (a.k.a. 'old')

I did as well, and sold all my cards back in '98 or so when I thought that the game was dying to the local comic book store.  I just wish that I had waited.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #71 on: 06 Oct 2020, 20:09 »

I'd have to check, but I think my cards might be in Dutch.

EDIT:

Nope, they're in English.
« Last Edit: 06 Oct 2020, 20:17 by Farideh »

Gyrre

« Reply #72 on: 06 Oct 2020, 20:55 »

I didn't start playing D&D until a few years ago, half a decade after college. It was nice to be able to throw the fact that I didn't play in bullies' faces throughout school, but I missed out on some fun.

Honestly though, I'm glad I didn't start playing until after 5E came out. I know myself enough to know I'd likely have been an insufferable 3.5 elitist when 4th Ed came out if I had played in highschool.

EDIT: For the sake of clarity; I know plenty of people who prefer 3.5 to 4th and/or 5E. I'm specifically referring to the ones that are jerkoffs about it.
« Last Edit: 06 Oct 2020, 23:33 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #73 on: 06 Oct 2020, 20:58 »

aAAAAAAA!!! I love Renee the listener! I really hope Dan is not a jerk.

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #74 on: 06 Oct 2020, 21:00 »

Wait, was Shitty Dan one of "THE" Bros??

Wouldn't THAT be a twist?
What the hell are YOU staring at?

theMarc

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Oh God, it's all over my body.
« Reply #75 on: 06 Oct 2020, 21:07 »

/dons asbestos suit

So what's up with the current state of Magic: the Gathering?

That warning was also for my benefit. I've got a whole rant building in me that I'd rather not spend the hours typing out.

But the short version is, the company that owns MtG, Wizards of the Coast, has:
-failed to reprint cards that desperately need reprinting
-adopted predatory business practices that use FOMO to sell cards
-possibly racist hiring habits?
-completely ruined the game's balance with recent card releases
-ignored and brushed off fans' concerns about the above

And probably some other stuff I'm forgetting at the moment.
Be kind and generous to all people, even imaginary people who only exist in a webcomic, because that’s good practice for the real world.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #76 on: 06 Oct 2020, 22:02 »

Wow, I really relate to Shitty Dan in a way (right down to the sword collection).  Though I started to realize I would rather be myself in senior year high school, and it slowly built from there until I reached about 30 and (mostly) ran out of fucks to give and do what I do and people are like, "Yep, that's Sorflakne over there, being his normal self."
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Timemaster

• Master of Time
« Reply #77 on: 06 Oct 2020, 22:32 »

Oh man,

I can relate so much to Dan. But I didn‘t give up my nerdy school-ways during university though. Today I’m 52 and I still play D&D with my old school buddys (who all have children by now) and some new friends. It‘s so much fun and I wouldn‘t give a s**t if someone would call me a nerd. But the thing is, nobody does.  :laugh:

I hope Jeph makes Dan a recurring character. I really would like that.

TM

EDIT: I own two replica swords.  :-D
Relax, it's just a comic.

cybersmurf

« Reply #78 on: 07 Oct 2020, 00:15 »

Well, there'll be a moment when you'll feel old when one of the kids joins a session of D&D. Or, you just may feel rejuvenated. Maybe even both.

Well Dan, how many replica swords do you have? And do you know how to use them?

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #79 on: 07 Oct 2020, 00:34 »

Is he not being himself when he goes to “the gym and parties and stuff?”
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #80 on: 07 Oct 2020, 00:38 »

Oh dear, alert on panel 6, Renee is falling for Dan in a big way.

However, I don't think that this is the important point of this strip. The point is something a friend once explained to me that 'growing up does not mean having to grow old' and it doesn't mean having to give up the things that give us enjoyment and maybe even defined us in our childhoods and youths. Renee has moved along in lots of ways from who she was in High School but I'm wondering if this encounter will make her wonder if she's given up things that she enjoyed and gave her satisfaction in the belief that "I'm and adult now and adults don't do that stuff".

How might that manifest? Um... Well, she was a goth at High School. Maybe she'll decide that she doesn't have to 'pretend to be normal' and might start re-adopting little bits of the aesthetic that she still likes? Small things but trying not to fit into pigeonholes that reflect what she thinks others expect of her?

Is he not being himself when he goes to “the gym and parties and stuff?”

He's saying that he can and he is but he had to stop trying to fit into his idea of what others expected of him first.
~~~~

cybersmurf

« Reply #81 on: 07 Oct 2020, 06:14 »

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Well, I consider "grown up" just a matter of being more experienced in life, and being able to distinguish which setting needs what degree of acting adult.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #82 on: 07 Oct 2020, 08:14 »

The revelation that Dan collects swords put an image in my mind. Sam, on one knee before him with her sword in a 'knightly vow' posture (tip in the ground in front of her with her holding the hilt with both hands) and she's saying: "Teach me your ways, Master."
~~~~

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #83 on: 07 Oct 2020, 08:15 »

I've come to the realization multiple times that it doesn't matter what others think of me so long as I'm an okay human being. What usually ends up happening is something along the lines of, "I'm trying to be myself more often. Others' opinions of me don't really matter. By the way, does this shirt look good on me?"

Timemaster

• Master of Time
« Reply #84 on: 07 Oct 2020, 08:17 »

xkcd: Grownups

https://xkcd.com/150/

This is exactly how I feel about this issue.

TM
Relax, it's just a comic.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #85 on: 07 Oct 2020, 09:11 »

And the followup comic:

"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Cheetaur

• Plantmonster
« Reply #86 on: 07 Oct 2020, 12:47 »

When I'm more interested in what T shirt May is going to see, I think the strip has a problem.

chris73

• Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #87 on: 07 Oct 2020, 14:10 »

When I'm more interested in what T shirt May is going to see, I think the strip has a problem.

I think the author is running out of ideas. Gets stuck for an idea and suddenly, with no reasonable foreshadowing, Faye is now attracted to bubbles or why not make Clin-ton and Eliot hot for each other, again out of the blue (though to be fair that's probably fan service)

The strip has been going for a long time, maybe it's time to put it to bed and start something new
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2020, 17:36 by chris73 »

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #88 on: 07 Oct 2020, 14:55 »

Not necessarily. Being more interested in May's wardrobe than in Renee's/Elliot's romantic endeavors might just mean that you're more invested in May as a character. Or tired of rom-com storylines. Or heavily into nerd fashion. Or any of a dozen different other reasons. Saying: "the current arc doesn't catch my interest, thus the comic has a problem" is a bit short-sighted, IMO. You can't always be as invested in every story arc, that's just (web comic) life.

beeawwb

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #89 on: 07 Oct 2020, 15:20 »

Hi, my name is Bob and it's been 4 years since my last game of MTG. I sold all of my cards 8 years ago and thought I was out, but I relapsed and played a couple games using a friend's cards. "It'll be fine" they said. "You're just filling in" they said. I still felt the pull, the allure. Once an addict always an addict.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #90 on: 07 Oct 2020, 15:26 »

*waves*

"Hi, Bob".

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #91 on: 07 Oct 2020, 17:18 »

Claiming a piece of art has a problem because it doesn't interest you personally reeks of entitlement. Not everything has to cater to your individual tastes.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #92 on: 07 Oct 2020, 18:15 »

New strip.

My only issue is Dan reminds me of a more 'together' version of Marten.  :-P

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #93 on: 07 Oct 2020, 18:16 »

All hail Dan, a.k.a. 'The-Person-Formerly-Known-As-Shitty-Dan', a.k.a. 'Marten 2.0'.

The date IS going really well. Here's hoping that Renee doesn't cram her foot in her mouth (again).

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #94 on: 07 Oct 2020, 18:21 »

New strip.

I'm not seeing that comparison. What are you noticing that makes you say this?

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #95 on: 07 Oct 2020, 18:52 »

Poor Renee - she really does self-sabotage, doesn't she?  :-\

"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #96 on: 07 Oct 2020, 19:17 »

I've come to the realization multiple times that it doesn't matter what others think of me so long as I'm an okay human being. What usually ends up happening is something along the lines of, "I'm trying to be myself more often. Others' opinions of me don't really matter. By the way, does this shirt look good on me?"

Only one of those is even sort of under your control.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Gyrre

« Reply #97 on: 07 Oct 2020, 20:45 »

Anyways,
One replica wakazashi (still sharp AF), one wooden sword-sheath combo for cosplay, and -my personal favorite- a bamboo bo staff.
If I could ever make it to another con or ren fair, I'd like to find a good axe.

Axes and polearms are my jam when it comes to melee.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Mordhaus

• Furry furrier
« Reply #98 on: 07 Oct 2020, 22:16 »

This is going too well, give me a moment to bring us down a few notches. :laugh:

Penquin47

« Reply #99 on: 07 Oct 2020, 23:06 »

New strip.

I'm not seeing that comparison. What are you noticing that makes you say this?

Giant nerds in high school (Marten skipping prom for D&D, Shitty Dan and his Magic: the Gathering habit)
Chilled out in college
Have a go-with-the-flow personality
Aren't ashamed of their current nerddoms (Marten with his music, Dan with his pipes)
And, of course, there's the old parallels with Renee being Secret Bakery Universe Faye.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up