THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Make me read webcomics  (Read 19702 times)

flfederation

• Emoticontraindication
  • He/they/whatever
Make me read webcomics
« on: 04 Oct 2020, 10:57 »

I've read a lot of webcomics. I've hunted them down like an old man with a british accent and a safari hat. I started reading QC more than 10 years ago. I have looked on nearly every page of this subforum looking for the webcomics thread-- I probably missed the one relevant page.
I won't argue with your suggestions, I'll just report if I happen to read a good one that you recommended. So you'll know my taste, here's a very incomplete resume of comics I've read (most likely in full, at least up the current one)

* Freefall* Stuff by David Willis * Girls with Slingshots* O human star* Real Life Comics
* A Girl and Her Fed* XKCD* Unshelved* Quantum Vibe* Yellow Peril

Bonus points for stuff that's CC-licensed. I'm a big fan of that, but it's rare. ND really doesn't count. I don't think any of the comics I mentioned are CC-licensed, except XKCD.

Other stuff I've enjoyed (including things that are subjects in this subforum)

* Eddie Izzard * Russell Peters * George Carlin* Red Dwarf * Daniel Quinn * Alan Partridge* Reggie Watts * Transmetropolitan * Babylon 5
I read/bought all of Transmet and loved it, but I usually don't read graphic novels. I don't buy things from Amazon (not since the Kindle was invented-- I complained bitterly about DRM on books before it existed, and I was a happy Amazon customer until they betrayed the human race) and I don't live near a bookstore anymore. I'm more likely to buy merchandise or do Kickstarters, as I did with QC. I've purchased CC-licensed books in paper form. I haven't gotten into Patreon yet but it's clearly a good idea.

Project your personal biases and favourite things onto me-- make me read webcomics you like. Please. If I missed a rule about webcomics on these forums, just use PM. I doubt that would happen, though I can't figure out why (other) webcomics aren't discussed here more often, so I'm only mostly kidding if maybe I missed a rule about it.
There were more newlines here. I put some back. Some are still missing after that. Imagine more newlines here.
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2020, 11:04 by flfederation »

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
Re: Make me read webcomics
« Reply #1 on: 04 Oct 2020, 11:35 »

I’m on my phone, so I can’t be arsed to do links, but Pepper and Carrot is absolutely gorgeous, and fully free (it’s even drawn entirely in Krita). Gunnerkrigg Court is lovely as well, and the art has evolved quite a bit since the beginning.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #2 on: 04 Oct 2020, 12:10 »

Cassiopeia Quinn is a fun comic about an intergalactic superthief and the young female navy captain who has been tasked with catching her.

https://www.cassiopeiaquinn.com/comic/archive
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3 on: 04 Oct 2020, 13:01 »

I got enough strips into that one to find it interesting, and put it in my webcomic tab stack.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #4 on: 04 Oct 2020, 13:19 »

There is a webcomics thread, but it hasn't been posted in since 2019... by me.

Of the ones you mentioned I only know xkcd and Freefall, so I'm just gonna recommend my favorites, starting with the highest recommended:

http://dresdencodak.com
https://killsixbilliondemons.com
http://thesecretknots.com
https://www.prequeladventure.com
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com
https://www.girlgeniusonline.com
http://romanticallyapocalyptic.com

Also, among the gag-a-day strips I recommend https://pbfcomics.com and http://wondermark.com. The above ones tend to be longer-form stories.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #5 on: 05 Oct 2020, 04:56 »

I have five that I read daily/update-ly: three are Questionable Content, Dumbing of Age and xkcd. The others are The Whiteboard (I think I've seen jwhouk on the forums over there as well) and Order of the Stick. I used to read Schlock Mercenary daily, but that finished a couple of months back.

I have about 50 others that I go back to every now and then to read in lumps.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

flfederation

• Emoticontraindication
  • He/they/whatever
« Reply #6 on: 05 Oct 2020, 07:16 »

Thanks everybody. It's certainly alright if this turns into a hitherto conspiculously missing mega-thread, or if it doesn't. For starters, I'll check out one of the ones I've heard of that (for whatever unknown reason) I've avoided. I'm being deliberately vague, but if I finish one or really get into one I'll mention it.

I'm still keeping up on QC of course, I just read today's. Clinton is pretty cute these days, but I'm busy shipping Millefeuille-- with whom I'm not sure yet.

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #7 on: 05 Oct 2020, 07:41 »

Girl Genius is the best.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #8 on: 05 Oct 2020, 10:03 »

I have five that I read daily/update-ly: three are Questionable Content, Dumbing of Age and xkcd. The others are The Whiteboard (I think I've seen jwhouk on the forums over there as well) and Order of the Stick. I used to read Schlock Mercenary daily, but that finished a couple of months back.

I have about 50 others that I go back to every now and then to read in lumps.

Yes you have. Not that often, as I'm not an engineer.

Watch out for that guy from Nebraska, though. I hear he has something against Million Dollar Belt Sanders (and remembering his passwords).
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #9 on: 05 Oct 2020, 10:03 »

Girl Genius is the best.

Girl Genius is in its own separate category.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

TorporChambre

• Emoticontraindication
  • Hannelore Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: 05 Oct 2020, 12:21 »

Not often liking serial literature especially sparse; Dead Winter---excellent. McNinja hilarious and (dunno about webcomic---Ketchup Ninja. GrrlPower started cool, but I'd rather it more `mundanety' of comic-store than super domestic military wow; more balance? Neat but I of it tire easy---good keeping supply up :\ (Best bookstore mine is free lending library---too often forgotten return and made to pay replacement. Trying for buyer least of Rainforest seller profitable;~) Half (~2/5) the Staurday-Morning Breakfast Comics newers're great.
You know cesium.
``Remember about advanced texnics and noise?
We've hit fiction from science indistinct''
~Carl-E, QC forums

flfederation

• Emoticontraindication
  • He/they/whatever
« Reply #11 on: 06 Oct 2020, 09:56 »

GrrlPower started cool, but I'd rather it more `mundanety' of comic-store than super domestic military wow
So true! I adore the storyline (in and out of the comicbook store) but the fights seem to drag on and don't add much to the comic. I get that it's a superhero comic, so you "have to" have fights I think... but if I wasn't through the archives I'd probably click through those without paying loads of attention to them.

Still, it's (basically) always cute to watch Halo sassing monsters. She brings comic (sorry) relief to my least favourite parts of the story, so that's kind of a win.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: 06 Oct 2020, 16:39 »

The comics on my shortlist right now are:
-Girls With Slingshots: It restarted, but this time in color
-Johnny Wander
-Kevin and Kell
-Gunnerkrigg Court
-My Life With Fel

I've got a whole list of comics I've been meaning to try out but haven't had the time to

flfederation

• Emoticontraindication
  • He/they/whatever
« Reply #13 on: 10 Oct 2020, 04:51 »

So far I've read all of Cassiopeia Quinn and Johnny Wander. I finished Dr. McNinja some time this year.
Johnny Wander is great, it was work to keep up with all the different things going on at once; Cassiopeia Quinn is a new favourite and hopefully there will be a new one Monday. I've read all of GWS and the strips redone in colour are nice.

Gyrre

« Reply #14 on: 14 Nov 2020, 10:03 »

Namesake fantasy adventure with some darker elements and revolving around various stories of classic literature (Oz, Wonderland, Jack and the bean stalk, peter pan, etc)
Skin Horse modern mad science comedy with dramatic elements. A dog, a genderfluid psychologist, and a patchwork zombie are shadow-government social workers for non-human sapients. But something even stranger is going on.
Demon Street fantasy adventure with some darker elements (a good chunk of the cast are LGBTQ+, too)
Space Trawler  sci-fi dramedy featuring the best worst people. Most of the humor is very sardonic. You'll laugh so hard it hurts, then the plot will smack you with a figurative chair. And then you'll ask for more because it's done so well. This one helped me out of a nasty depressive funk last year.
PS-238 child super heroes-in-training tropish and tongue-in-cheek. The 2nd generation of supers are learning the ropes and coming into their own at America's most secret public school.

EDIT: I tried to  suggest ones that haven't been mentioned yet. Though, I can defo vouch for Gunnerkrigg Court. Good to see I'm not the only one flagging a bit on Grrl Power.
EDIT2: *forehead smack* titles are helpful. So are better descriptions.
« Last Edit: 05 Dec 2020, 08:54 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #15 on: 29 Nov 2020, 16:58 »

Someone recommended me Somewhere Other which I've read from start to finish over the couse of a few weeks, and it has been an absolute delight. It has its quirks but it's very much worth reading.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #16 on: 01 Dec 2020, 00:20 »

I have started reading Stand Still. Stay Silent. Riveting storyline, gorgeous artwork, and (since we are experiencing a pandemic) horribly prophetic.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #17 on: 01 Dec 2020, 06:46 »

Just started it, and damn, I'm impressed so far.

Gyrre

« Reply #18 on: 05 Dec 2020, 08:35 »

Oof. Well, I almost feel sorry for her. And I have chronic depression (she's not a pleasant person). What literally little happiness she had is now missing and living as a separate entity.

Sequential Art sci-fi, fantasy, anthros and many parodies.

EDIT: formatting error fix
EDIT 2: Forgot to close the url tag.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2021, 00:19 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #19 on: 08 Dec 2020, 23:36 »

I have started reading Stand Still. Stay Silent. Riveting storyline, gorgeous artwork, and (since we are experiencing a pandemic) horribly prophetic.
I looked into it and ended up bingeing the whole thing in 16 hours. I then had to cram my homework at 10:30 p.m.

To paraphrase a certain AI, "thanks a lot and thanks a lot sarcastically."
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Gyrre

« Reply #20 on: 13 Dec 2020, 08:37 »

How to be a Werewolf
Quote from: The About
Since being bitten by a strange wolf as a child, Malaya Walters has attempted to live a quiet life…hopefully a life free of attempting to eat her family or the customers at her family’s coffee shop. Being the only werewolf she’s ever known, Malaya has managed her condition by keeping tight control on herself and the world around her, with lackluster results. That is, until a strange guy wanders into her shop one day and introduces her to a whole world she never knew existed…

How to be a Werewolf is a long form, ongoing story, started in February 2015. It features a diverse cast, as well as a cast of mostly LGBTQ characters. It’s not as gay as I want it to be yet, but don’t worry, I’m working on it. Slowly. I hope you guys like slow burn romances, I guess?

If I had to rate it, probably a PG-13 mostly for the profanity.

(click to show/hide)

EDIT: derp. Pasted in the page link instead of the actual image location. Page in spoiler fixed now.
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2020, 22:53 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #21 on: 13 Dec 2020, 12:32 »

That spoiler just comes up empty for me.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #22 on: 13 Dec 2020, 13:40 »

The link in the spoiler goes to a page, not an image. The image is at https://www.howtobeawerewolf.com/comics/1600273299-Page559.jpg (I've linked rather than putting an image to save site bandwidth).
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Gyrre

« Reply #23 on: 13 Dec 2020, 22:50 »

That spoiler just comes up empty for me.
......crap. Hang on.

EDIT: Fixed it.
a real-ass gaddam sword

oddtail

« Reply #24 on: 14 Apr 2021, 14:16 »

Just got finished archive-binging Gunnerkrigg Court ( https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/ ), which I doubt needs much introduction. In case it does: it's truly delightful fantasy-meets-teen-drama that explores the juxtaposition of magic and science and assorted weirdness. Very charming and very positive in its general tone despite sometimes harsh events in the storyline.

I last read the comic years ago (back when I used to read a *lot* od webcomics), went partway through the archives and kept putting off reading the rest. Now that I've re-read it in its entirety, I'm definitely adding it to things I'll read regularly.

Honestly better than most webcomics I've ever read, and I've read embarrassingly many.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #25 on: 14 Apr 2021, 16:01 »

I continue to be amazed by the art evolution of that one, as well as loving the characters (even boxbot).

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #26 on: 15 Apr 2021, 03:20 »

and I've read embarrassingly many.

God, you know I've read so many webcomics I've forgotten so very many? Some of them we're really decent too and damn, now I'll probably never find them again.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

oddtail

« Reply #27 on: 15 Apr 2021, 03:24 »

God, you know I've read so many webcomics I've forgotten so very many? Some of them we're really decent too and damn, now I'll probably never find them again.

Maybe we could make a list of every webcomic individual forum members remember. Different people will remember different things, so we could have a pretty large list in no time.

I'm pretty sure I can remember upwards of 70 titles (with the caveat that some were utter crap) without much effort?

Gyrre

« Reply #28 on: 23 Apr 2021, 22:34 »

Wait, nobody's suggested Linda Seijic's Punderworld yet?!?

It's a retelling of the story of Hades and Persephone's meetingand eventual marriage. Hades is a big adorkable nerd! Persephone is tired of being cooped up and is ready for adventure! Zeus is squarely to blame (again)!
a real-ass gaddam sword

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #29 on: 24 Apr 2021, 02:37 »

Maybe we could make a list of every webcomic individual forum members remember. Different people will remember different things, so we could have a pretty large list in no time.

I'm pretty sure I can remember upwards of 70 titles (with the caveat that some were utter crap) without much effort?

I had a list of over 100 webcomics I had been meaning to read, now I have a bookmark folder full of the ones I still have to.

Veritable_Variable

• Not quite a lurker
  • He/They
« Reply #30 on: 03 May 2021, 13:36 »

Recently caught up on Paranatural and it was a blast. I'd forgotten how consistently funny that webcomic is, all while simultaneously carrying a really intriguing urban fantasy action/adventure/drama storyline. It has really memorable characters and fantastic world building.

One really good thing about it is that you don't have to read far before you know whether you like it or not; just reading chapter 1 pretty much sold me on it.

On a separate note, I definitely need to catch up on Gunnerkrigg Court. It's been years since I last read it. I recall the situation getting pretty tense when I left off, so I've been procrastinating on resuming.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #31 on: 03 May 2021, 14:02 »

It's a retelling of the story of Hades and Persephone's meetingand eventual marriage. Hades is a big adorkable nerd! Persephone is tired of being cooped up and is ready for adventure! Zeus is squarely to blame (again)!

Thank you for telling me about this webcomic, I'm loving it!

Gyrre

« Reply #32 on: 22 May 2021, 00:13 »

Thank you for telling me about this webcomic, I'm loving it!
You're welcome ^-^
a real-ass gaddam sword

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #33 on: 22 May 2021, 02:47 »

I started reading Star Impact on a slow sunday at work after having saved it for a while. I really like it, the story and art are frantic enough to keep my attention, and it's not too long yet so it was easy to get into

Gyrre

« Reply #34 on: 15 Jul 2021, 18:58 »

By the Book it's by the guy who did the Monsters Misguided D&D homebrew series on YouTube.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #35 on: 16 Jul 2021, 13:44 »

And when you get done with that, her husband Stepan offers Sunstone and a few others in the romance genre.  Please note: Sunstone is LGBT+ and NSFW and the content is adult.  You have been warned.
This space intentionally left almost blank.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #36 on: 16 Jul 2021, 14:44 »

See, I read that and thought you meant that you are Gyrre's husband 😀

Started reading Sunstone. Stopped reading when steam came out of my ears. I'll continue later.

Gyrre

« Reply #37 on: 18 Jul 2021, 22:19 »

Started reading Sunstone. Stopped reading when steam came out of my ears. I'll continue later.

Nope, I'm still single. I'm also a guy. Though, it's not the first time I've been mistaken for a woman online (or offline, though that's usually drunks).

I just caught up on Aurora, the fantasy webcomic Red from Overly Sarcastic Productions is making. Kendall is just the goodest boy and Red is a great writer.

EDIT: specifying gender.
a real-ass gaddam sword

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #38 on: 19 Jul 2021, 00:19 »

Before decades of smoking altered my voice, I had numerous people assume that I was a woman on the phone, including when I worked phone support.  Since I hate telephones, it was something that I just ignored since I just wanted to get the damned call over with.  When it was due to cross-dressing/intentional androgyny, I was actually flattered.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #39 on: 19 Jul 2021, 08:50 »

No, I already have a wife and I'm not inclined to trade her out for anyone, dude or not.  That's a statement about me, not Gyrre, lest there be any confusion on that point.   :-D
I hope you weren't embarrassed: (3669).   :evil: :angel: :evil: :angel: :-o
This space intentionally left almost blank.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #40 on: 19 Jul 2021, 17:13 »

It was how the post was written. When I saw the name of the 'Sunstone' artist I understood what you meant.

Nope, not embarrassed. I just didn't expect the comic to progress that quickly, and I didn't want my 10 year old looking over my shoulder and asking awkward questions :D  I will talk to her about this sort of thing at some point, but not quite yet.

Gyrre

« Reply #41 on: 27 Jul 2021, 02:43 »

Before decades of smoking altered my voice, I had numerous people assume that I was a woman on the phone, including when I worked phone support.  Since I hate telephones, it was something that I just ignored since I just wanted to get the damned call over with.  When it was due to cross-dressing/intentional androgyny, I was actually flattered.

They always just assumed I was a reccording back when I did phone surveys.
Fun fact; it's easier to get people from New York, New York to complete a customer satisfaction survey than it is to get pretty much anyone from California to. And the New Yorker won't literally start screaming at you either. (The National Do Not Call List has exceptions, BTW.)
a real-ass gaddam sword

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #42 on: 28 Jul 2021, 22:04 »

Before decades of smoking altered my voice, I had numerous people assume that I was a woman on the phone, including when I worked phone support.

I've had this happen from time to time. The only really annoying instance of it was when I once had to report a stolen credit card, and the person at the other end wouldn't accept that I was who I said I was.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gyrre

« Reply #43 on: 28 Jul 2021, 22:36 »

Before decades of smoking altered my voice, I had numerous people assume that I was a woman on the phone, including when I worked phone support.

I've had this happen from time to time. The only really annoying instance of it was when I once had to report a stolen credit card, and the person at the other end wouldn't accept that I was who I said I was.

That's rough.
Makes me sort of glad I'm a baritone. Though I tend to up-pitch to be seen as less threatening since my neutral natural tone 'sounds angry'.
a real-ass gaddam sword

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #44 on: 29 Jul 2021, 01:04 »

Fairly recently, I had my card declined because some automated script triggered a fraud alert when I had an open bar tab.  I was stuck there for over an hour while dealing with the whole phone thing and having to send in an image of my ID.  It finally got cleared, but the owner basically told me “um… next time, you can just come back in a day or two, ‘cos we trust you”.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #45 on: 29 Jul 2021, 06:04 »

Johnny Wander's Barbarous has started up again

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #46 on: 29 Jul 2021, 07:34 »

Fairly recently, I had my card declined because some automated script triggered a fraud alert when I had an open bar tab.  I was stuck there for over an hour while dealing with the whole phone thing and having to send in an image of my ID.  It finally got cleared, but the owner basically told me “um… next time, you can just come back in a day or two, ‘cos we trust you”.

My bank makes me use my debit card number as my username for online banking, which is stupid enough in general, but really became ridiculous when they had to issue me a new card number because of a fraud alert… I couldn’t log in to online banking for a week because of it. And naturally it occurred on a weekend while I was out of town.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC
Pages: [1]   Go Up