we are the youth of a nation
all we are is dust in the wind
just another brick in the wall
just another cog in the machine
made of star stuff
other
spathe ham

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4371-4375 (Oct 12th to Oct 16th 2020)  (Read 17501 times)

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
Re: WCDT strips 4371-4375 (Oct 12th to Oct 16th 2020)
« Reply #50 on: 13 Oct 2020, 19:49 »

I wonder if this means Heracles has accepted his diet? He seems more mellow lol

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #51 on: 13 Oct 2020, 20:44 »

Yay being helpful!

I kinda want them to tell Roko about it later, with Roko getting more horrified by the minute.  :laugh:

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #52 on: 13 Oct 2020, 20:54 »

Hercules.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #53 on: 13 Oct 2020, 21:23 »

Poll: We're the kids in America (whoah-oh!)

The funniest thing about that song, to me at least, is that Ms Wilde hails from Liverpool, England.

A close runner-up is the lyric "New York to east California". I guess Los Angeles can go fuck itself. San Francisco and San Diego too.

...As someone who was a big fan of the first Digimon series, I'm disappointed in myself for forgetting that one. It was probably the one I had on the tip of my brain.

As for that geographic range, I'm guessing negative experiences on the part of the lyricist. But, there's also the claim that the more unhinged folk tend to live along the western side of the state. Granted, as I understand it, that's where those of the furthest left of the Far Left live (the ones well into actual thought policing and totalitarian territory).

a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #54 on: 13 Oct 2020, 21:41 »

Hercules.
Hercules is the canon name of the cat. However, in Greek mythology, the name of the hero was Heracles ("the glory of Hera"); it was changed to Hercules in the Roman version. Honestly, I prefer Heracles to Hercules, but yeah, the cat is Hercules.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #55 on: 13 Oct 2020, 23:18 »

I really would be interested in learning Yay's view of what it says about Elliott that he's continually talking himself down and doubting why anyone would be interested in him. Oddly enough, I think the exchange in panel 2 is indicative of Elliot's real problem: Awkwardness feedback loop. He stresses about how he gets stressed when the personal stakes are high. When you compare that to how he generally interacts with Renee, you can see that he's actually quite a nice and good humoured man; if only he could transcend his own fears, they wouldn't bog him down...

Like most of us, I suppose.

I do wonder just how Yay's multi-node nature is working here too. I imagine that several of  them are playing with Hercules where the local node focusses entirely on helping Elliot!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #56 on: 14 Oct 2020, 00:11 »

I do wonder just how Yay's multi-node nature is working here too. I imagine that several of  them are playing with Hercules where the local node focusses entirely on helping Elliot!
I wonder how their consciousness works. Do they all together have only one consciousness, or does each node have it's own separate consciousness, tangled with the others to a composite consciousness any one cannot so easily remove themself from. What if they go offline? Probably worse than being away from one's friends for months, as some might this year be: being away from their better half greater part.
(click to show/hide)
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #57 on: 14 Oct 2020, 00:32 »

Paradon?
Paragon?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Annemoon

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #58 on: 14 Oct 2020, 02:51 »

Wednesday comic...
can anyone translate that last line for me? I'm quite frankly stumped... ^_^'

"Would you like us to play the part of the unruly patron? We could push this firmly over the precipice of reasonability and into the chasm of romantic farce."

Like roleplay? To what end?
"science fairy" - cybersmurf

oddtail

« Reply #59 on: 14 Oct 2020, 02:55 »

I don't think it's meant to be roleplay per se.

The idea is that Yay offers to pretend to be an unruly patron in a bar and make Elliot (who subsequently throws them out, in the scenario) look competent and like a good guy.

Y'know, like someone "proving" they're badass by beating up someone pretending to be a mugger, or something like that.

To what end? In a realistic situation, something like this would not be useful. But it's a trope in "zany" comedies.

The joke in this case is that Yay is suggesting something that would not work because they are following the sitcom/comedy logic for a real-life (in the context of the comic) situation.

Hope that helps.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #60 on: 14 Oct 2020, 04:45 »

See also The Worf Effect.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #61 on: 14 Oct 2020, 04:56 »

Paradon?
Paragon?
Oh thank you!  I was wondering what new definition I had missed, only to discover it's from Esperanto, and not even English at all.  Off hand, I can't think oftwo Don's that radiate poise and self-confidence, but maybe I don't watch enough Mafia movies?   :-P :roll: :-o
This space intentionally left almost blank.

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?
« Reply #62 on: 14 Oct 2020, 05:03 »

As for that geographic range, I'm guessing negative experiences on the part of the lyricist. But, there's also the claim that the more unhinged folk tend to live along the western side of the state. Granted, as I understand it, that's where those of the furthest left of the Far Left live (the ones well into actual thought policing and totalitarian territory).

I was going to object about Yankeedom covering WI, MN, and a big chunk of MI, but then I thought about it for a while longer and I'm OK.  I'm not OK with Yankeedom extending part way into ND and SD though; that's just wrong.  And what's with that funny color north of WV?

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #63 on: 14 Oct 2020, 05:12 »

I'm more concerned about Ontario, the Oklahoma Panhandle, and Baltimore somehow being in the same category...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #64 on: 14 Oct 2020, 06:15 »

Paradon?
Paragon?
Oh thank you!  I was wondering what new definition I had missed, only to discover it's from Esperanto, and not even English at all.  Off hand, I can't think oftwo Don's that radiate poise and self-confidence, but maybe I don't watch enough Mafia movies?   :-P :roll: :-o
Paradón means "save" in Spanish, in the sense of a goalkeeper making a great save in football, but I'm sure it's just a typo.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #65 on: 14 Oct 2020, 07:01 »

???

Eliot would be the Worf in this situation, though. He's much taller and looks stronger.
Carpe Diem

oddtail

« Reply #66 on: 14 Oct 2020, 07:07 »

???

Eliot would be the Worf in this situation, though. He's much taller and looks stronger.

Yeah, Yay'd have to be established as strong *before* being thrown out.

And they do not look that physically intimidating. And if they revealed part of their true nature as a powerful AI, nobody would believe that Elliot could throw'em out with no repercussions.

So the Worf Effect doesn't really apply.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #67 on: 14 Oct 2020, 07:55 »

Extra points if you can get your anxiety in the emotional spittoon from across the room.

With all their smarts, I'd think Yay could craft a less off-putting metaphor. Unless that was deliberate...
( curls up in a ball in a corner )
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #68 on: 14 Oct 2020, 10:04 »

Having slept on it, I've come to the conclusion that Yay would have better luck making friends if he explained why and how he's crap at making friends.

That raises a question. Do we have canon about Yay's pronouns? Every node has self-described as "we" so I've been assuming "they/them" but I can't remember any of them telling people what to use.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

oddtail

« Reply #69 on: 14 Oct 2020, 10:22 »

Having slept on it, I've come to the conclusion that Yay would have better luck making friends if he explained why and how he's crap at making friends.

That raises a question. Do we have canon about Yay's pronouns? Every node has self-described as "we" so I've been assuming "they/them" but I can't remember any of them telling people what to use.

I'm actually surprised by Baz_Yat's use of "he" regardless of what Yay would want people to use to talk about them. Yay reads decidedly feminine to me.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #70 on: 14 Oct 2020, 10:32 »

I’d have to assume “they” since Yay describe themselves in the plural.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #71 on: 14 Oct 2020, 11:26 »

Other people in the comic (Faye, Bubbles, Roko) definitely use they/them.

That brings up another few questions: would you use "themself" or "themselves?" Also, if each node identified as female or male, would you still use they/them (in the plural form)?

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #72 on: 14 Oct 2020, 12:42 »

Yay is both plural and nonbinary. Fortunately plural pronouns in English aren’t gendered. However, we aren’t used to dealing with people who have multiple instances, ad the language reflects that. Hence “Yay is” but also “They are” - singular verb forms when using Yay’s name, but plural forms when using their pronouns.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

N.N. Marf

« Reply #73 on: 14 Oct 2020, 13:32 »

If Yay have gender, it's subtle. Were was their (lack of) gender established? ``Themself'' has been defined as reflexive third-person singular; ``themselves'' idem plural. There is a question about referring to an their node, if ever warranted. If any node shown has gender, it's subtle.
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)

zmeiat_joro

« Reply #74 on: 14 Oct 2020, 14:13 »

Yay is Death of the Endless. ('TH'at has not not been cannonically established, but it has been un-canonically.)
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?
« Reply #75 on: 14 Oct 2020, 14:15 »

If any node shown has gender, it's subtle.
I expect Yay has found it convenient to present as either gender, depending on mission and context, so a gender fluid stock body is the most convenient for dealing with organics.  In the early strips Yay presents in a feminine-cut suit though taking a masculine role (rule enforcer) amongst women (Corpse Witch, Bubbles, Faye); this is likely a power play as note the language Yay uses is decidedly masculine when addressing the male accountant/Punchbot. 

While befriending Roko, Yay presents in stereotypical feminine attire ("Legging buddies.").  Interestingly, Yay has presented to Eliot as femme, which is certainly done with forethought as the topic is feelings and emotions, even if the obvious object is Hercules; perhaps a deliberate attempt to set Eliot at ease since Yay knows he discusses with Renee.

What would be really interesting is a meeting with Yay and Beatrice Chatham - what would Yay elect to wear?

I keep wanting to refer to Yay with femme pronouns, but that's not what should happen were Yay a real person or AI.  I think it's the waist...

zmeiat_joro

« Reply #76 on: 14 Oct 2020, 14:25 »

Yay is definitely an AI that do not want to dislodge their gender, if they have one.

zmeiat_joro

« Reply #77 on: 14 Oct 2020, 14:34 »

The idea of Yay playing with Hercules. The cuteness.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #78 on: 14 Oct 2020, 15:15 »

Yay is Death of the Endless. ('TH'at has not not been cannonically established, but it has been un-canonically.)
Yay is DESIRE, not Death. And Desire is decidedly androgynous.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

zmeiat_joro

« Reply #79 on: 14 Oct 2020, 15:18 »

Yay is DESIRE, not Death. And Desire is decidedly androgynous.
oh FUCK, this is worse. But in a way, better.  Death is kind of uncompromising while Desire is sort of cool.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #80 on: 14 Oct 2020, 15:26 »

I keep wanting to refer to Yay with femme pronouns, but that's not what should happen were Yay a real person or AI.  I think it's the waist...

We also have no idea how many chassis Yay have/has, and whether some may lean more one way than another. 
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

zmeiat_joro

« Reply #81 on: 14 Oct 2020, 15:36 »

chases*

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #82 on: 14 Oct 2020, 15:54 »

No, the plural of 'chassis' is 'chassis'.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/chassis?s=t
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

zmeiat_joro

« Reply #83 on: 14 Oct 2020, 16:09 »

Hi, Farideh :) I was talking about the tennis term.

N.N. Marf

« Reply #84 on: 14 Oct 2020, 16:12 »

And here I thought you meant the ballet steps.
``Chassis'' may be the wrong world. A chassis what does physical structural support, but cybrid bodies do more than that.
What would be really interesting is a meeting with Yay and Beatrice Chatham
(click to show/hide)

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #85 on: 14 Oct 2020, 18:22 »

What would be really interesting is a meeting with Yay and Beatrice Chatham
(click to show/hide)

Beatrice would be horrified at the prospect of somebody who was more powerful than her and who she couldn't intimidate. And Spooks totally wouldn't be able to resist revealing that they know where all of the bodies are buried.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #86 on: 14 Oct 2020, 18:27 »

oh FUCK, this is worse. But in a way, better.  Death is kind of uncompromising while Desire is sort of cool.

Desire is "cool" around other sentients in the way that in a sick way that it's adorable watching the common cat play with a mouse.  Even narration text in Sandman pointed out that "Desire is alway cruel".  Death was always kind and compassionate, to everyone.  It is highly implied in the comic that said compassion is a direct result of her having to spend a day each century as a mortal, and that she was not always as pleasant.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #87 on: 14 Oct 2020, 18:40 »

New Comic!

OK, that was cute.

Could be Yay/Spooky is losing their touch.

(Tho I think its also Yay had no intention to DO anything to Elliot and that showed through.)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #88 on: 14 Oct 2020, 18:59 »

Yay's choice(e)s of chassis don't lend themselves well to intimidation, unless one is aware of what they're capable of.

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #89 on: 14 Oct 2020, 19:22 »

Actually, I'm not surprised Elliot wasn't intimidated!
Insecure or not, Elliot is a bouncer - and bouncers have to deal with *drunks* - and drunks can be among the most f***ing scary creatures on earth. Inebriated into total obliviousness, drunks will randomly start fights; start fights with much bigger people; do insanely stupid things that would have train-surfers saying "Woah dude, take it easy"; and endanger other people without a single moment's thought.

So an alien-looking AI with a sinister grin and red eyes? - meh.
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #90 on: 14 Oct 2020, 19:25 »

Elliot is not spooked by ANYTHING...except emotional vulnerability.
What the hell are YOU staring at?

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #91 on: 14 Oct 2020, 19:35 »

Ah, sorry.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #92 on: 14 Oct 2020, 20:13 »

Elliot's intimidating only to those who haven't met him. If he tried to eject, say, Renee, I seriously doubt it would work.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #93 on: 14 Oct 2020, 20:32 »

Elliot: "I'm going to have to ask you to leave".
Unruly patron: "Ah no, gimme a hug you big softie!"
Elliot: "... OK."

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #94 on: 14 Oct 2020, 20:36 »

Somehow, Elliott evens looms diffidently.

It's the leaning back that (un)does it.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Gyrre

« Reply #95 on: 14 Oct 2020, 20:50 »

I'm more concerned about Ontario, the Oklahoma Panhandle, and Baltimore somehow being in the same category...

Whereas Kansas gets split up between The Far West, The Midlands, and Greater Appalachia.

Personally, I blame the 'Bloody Kansas' period for that last one.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #96 on: 14 Oct 2020, 23:30 »

Poor Yay! They're used to being seen as a devil in a vaguely-humanoid form but after watching them play with Hercules (and probably interact with Melon), Elliot has a hard time seeing them that way! I don't know if Yay's intimidated but their professionalism has certainly been offended!

I'm sort of wondering where this arc might be going. Is Elliot somehow going to get Yay a job? Might Yay turn up at The Horrible Revelation to create a scene so that Elliot can impress Clinton only to find that they like some of the clientele too much to remember the plan? You know, ends up leaving with a new good friend they've made whilst Elliot is struggling with Brun unknowingly flirting with Clinton again?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

chris73

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #97 on: 15 Oct 2020, 05:53 »

Maybe Yay could help out Marten sometime

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #98 on: 15 Oct 2020, 06:20 »

We are Star stuff

Stars digest hydrogen and the heavier elements are a waste product of said digestive process.

So the stuff we are all made up of is just poop. That explains a lot. :grumpypuss:
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #99 on: 15 Oct 2020, 10:15 »

But it's star poop!
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up