we are the youth of a nation
all we are is dust in the wind
just another brick in the wall
just another cog in the machine
made of star stuff
other
spathe ham

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4371-4375 (Oct 12th to Oct 16th 2020)  (Read 17491 times)

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
Re: WCDT strips 4371-4375 (Oct 12th to Oct 16th 2020)
« Reply #100 on: 15 Oct 2020, 12:04 »

"Waste product" is an inaccurate description. Stars fuse hydrogen until they run out of it, then they start fusing helium, and then heavier and heavier elements until they get to iron. After that they explode. Or collapse, it they are massive enough.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

zmeiat_joro

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #101 on: 15 Oct 2020, 12:07 »

Maybe Yay could help out Marten sometime
I think Yay and Marten are quite alike.
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #102 on: 15 Oct 2020, 12:41 »

"Waste product" is an inaccurate description. Stars fuse hydrogen until they run out of it, then they start fusing helium, and then heavier and heavier elements until they get to iron. After that they explode. Or collapse, it they are massive enough.
Only little stars ‘just’ collapse. The really big ones explode and collapse at once. Or collapse so fast they ‘bounce’ hard enough to count as an explosion too, it’s not 100% clear.

"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #103 on: 15 Oct 2020, 13:12 »

The theory that I've heard is that once the core has become iron, the bigger stars collapse at roughly a quarter the speed of light. The outer part of the star slams into the iron core and bounces off, creating a shockwave and a spray of matter (that's a supernova). So there's no actual explosion, just an implosion and a bounce.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

chris73

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #104 on: 15 Oct 2020, 18:40 »

I think Yay and Marten are quite alike.

In what way?

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #105 on: 15 Oct 2020, 19:09 »

Yay, no. Respect boundaries. Locks are not SUGGESTIONS.  :lol: :laugh:

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #106 on: 15 Oct 2020, 19:11 »

I mean, locks are suggestions.. Very strong suggestions. With just implications.
Whether the exact implications bother Yay..
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2020, 06:02 by N.N. Marf »
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #107 on: 15 Oct 2020, 19:27 »

"A-actually, I'd rather you not be in my apartment while I'm asleep."

"Understood. What is your preferred method of being awakened in the middle of the night?"

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #108 on: 15 Oct 2020, 21:33 »

If, as some suspect, Yay was emergent from some sort of government surveillance program, we're all lucky they acknowledge the existence of locks (and boundaries, and self-determination, and sanctity of mind, and...)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #109 on: 15 Oct 2020, 23:16 »

Panel 3 today is quite revealing actually. You can almost hear Yay thinking: "Wait, the human actually likes me? He's willing to risk physical contact? Well, this is new!"

I've said this before but I've always got the impression that Yay fundamentally doesn't like or trust humans very much. I think that Elliot has caught them by surprise and maybe this may be the cause of a serious rethink on the essential nature of humanity.

This comes as a shock to Yay who has been sneaking into Roko's apartment with Melon and watching Roko recharging for ages now!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #110 on: 15 Oct 2020, 23:24 »

If, as some suspect, Yay was emergent from some sort of government surveillance program, we're all lucky they acknowledge the existence of locks (and boundaries, and self-determination, and sanctity of mind, and...)

SpynAI gone... freelance? I can believe that. Hence the compulsion to listen, and the joy in hacking locks. It's not about actually getting by said lock, but just opening it. That was probably half the reason wjy they helped Bubbles - one half being sanctity of mind, and the other a really challenging hack.

I've said this before but I've always got the impression that Yay fundamentally doesn't like or trust humans very much. I think that Elliot has caught them by surprise and maybe this may be the cause of a serious rethink on the essential nature of humanity.

The - for the lack of a better word - distrust may be hardcoded, or at least trained/intented by whoever created Yay. They're suspicious of everyone and everything. But they're not malicious.
Besides his looks Elliot is a rather soft, mushy example of a human. But he is kind, which makes him a good person IMHO.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

awkwardness

« Reply #111 on: 15 Oct 2020, 23:41 »

He made a deal with the devil(relatively speaking)

One one hand, they'll be over frequently. On the other hand, Hercules will be able to sleep through the night as Yay tires him out from all of the fun they'll have. I'd call it a push and possibly a win if Yay respects boundaries beyond simply popping in unannounced.

Boxer

• Plantmonster
« Reply #112 on: 16 Oct 2020, 01:24 »

Yay! Could just assign one of her bodies to always be with Hercule.  If you can be multiple places at once, why would you leave anywhere you like.

... but then that is the thing, if she can be in multiple places at once simulatenously, she could just have one of her selves, sit in a petting zoo all-day-long!

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #113 on: 16 Oct 2020, 02:54 »

We are Star stuff

Stars digest hydrogen and the heavier elements are a waste product of said digestive process.

So the stuff we are all made up of is just poop. That explains a lot. :grumpypuss:
Thats a pretty absurd description of fusion, assigning very inapporpiate comparisons to the whole process.

For example, this "poop" is more complex than the very simple hydrogen.

Also, out main chemical compound is water, which in turn contains a lot of hydrogen, and the rest of us of course also contains a lot of hydrogen.
Carpe Diem

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #114 on: 16 Oct 2020, 07:45 »

We are Star stuff

Stars digest hydrogen and the heavier elements are a waste product of said digestive process.

So the stuff we are all made up of is just poop. That explains a lot. :grumpypuss:
Thats a pretty absurd description of fusion, assigning very inapporpiate comparisons to the whole process.

Also, out main chemical compound is water, which in turn contains a lot of hydrogen, and the rest of us of course also contains a lot of hydrogen.
Stepping away from the meme zone which is definitely not serious and tends to be very silly.

I think you meant Helium. Hydrogen is the base element food/fuel for a star.

Also the fusion process within stars may not be as simple as once thought - Fuse a pair of hydrogen atoms and make helium and possibly some loose neutrons.
Nothing is all that simple in this universe and in the high pressure environment that is a stellar core things get WEIRD. It has now been postulated that things are a bit more messy on the subatomic scale. [lots of weird physics here - okay physics is already weird its just that this stuff is weirder] resulting in heavier elements that sometimes percolate up from that cauldron of quasi-particles resulting in the G K M class star spectra.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Rincewind

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Luck's my middle name-mind you,my first name's Bad
« Reply #115 on: 16 Oct 2020, 08:27 »

I can't recall, but has anyone ever explained to Elliot just what Yay! is?(to the best of their knowledge) :facepalm:
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

alc40

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #116 on: 16 Oct 2020, 09:34 »

I don't think so.  From what I can tell their only previous interaction was after the skunk (4233 and following), which included Melon but no one else.  I don't see any comics after that where Elliot talked to else about Yay, so it's possible that others don't know that Elliot has met Yay.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #117 on: 16 Oct 2020, 10:54 »

"We are stardust
We are golden
And we've got to get ourselves
Back to the garden"

Woodstock, Joni Mitchell
This space intentionally left almost blank.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #118 on: 16 Oct 2020, 10:58 »

Locks are for honest people.

Yay earns name 'Newfriend'.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Mr Intrepid

« Reply #119 on: 16 Oct 2020, 12:11 »

I don't think so.  From what I can tell their only previous interaction was after the skunk (4233 and following), which included Melon but no one else.  I don't see any comics after that where Elliot talked to else about Yay, so it's possible that others don't know that Elliot has met Yay.   

The only humans that  I recall that Yay has interacted with are Faye, Emily, and Dora.  Dora was unconscious most of the time.  And Eliot mostly interacts with Renee and Brun from Secret Bakery.  Now, if the subject of Yay comes up during pillow talk with Clinton....

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #120 on: 16 Oct 2020, 15:13 »

Only little stars ‘just’ collapse. The really big ones explode and collapse at once. Or collapse so fast they ‘bounce’ hard enough to count as an explosion too, it’s not 100% clear.

Not just a kinematic bounce. The neutrino flux is so DocSmithianly high that it heats up and blows off the outer layers.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #121 on: 16 Oct 2020, 16:44 »

Not just a kinematic bounce. The neutrino flux is so DocSmithianly high that it heats up and blows off the outer layers.
Yeah, ain’t that a kicker; neutrinos, the particles in the Standard Model least-likely-to-interact with anything (at all, ever), abound in such numbers that they can propel regular baryonic matter at near-light speeds. Consider that since you started reading this sentence a couple trillion of them already passed through you without you (or any part of you) noticing…
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #122 on: 17 Oct 2020, 16:29 »

We are Star stuff

Stepping away from the meme zone which is definitely not serious and tends to be very silly.

I think you meant Helium. Hydrogen is the base element food/fuel for a star.

Also the fusion process within stars may not be as simple as once thought - Fuse a pair of hydrogen atoms and make helium and possibly some loose neutrons.
Nothing is all that simple in this universe and in the high pressure environment that is a stellar core things get WEIRD. It has now been postulated that things are a bit more messy on the subatomic scale. [lots of weird physics here - okay physics is already weird its just that this stuff is weirder] resulting in heavier elements that sometimes percolate up from that cauldron of quasi-particles resulting in the G K M class star spectra.

Sounds like we need to make a solar bathysphere, load it up with the world's career politicians and drop it in the sun so they can describe what they see. Then make another one, load it up with the billionaires, and have them do the same.
(click to show/hide)

EDIT: fixing formatting.
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2020, 05:11 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #123 on: 17 Oct 2020, 16:47 »

Hmm.  I'm liking the "reverse-Hunger Games" idea.  Every year, the top 0.1% have to fight it out to the death (no proxies, and extreme taxes on wealth transference).  The winner gets to keep their shit, and all the assets of the losers are to be transferred amongst the populace. 
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #124 on: 17 Oct 2020, 17:53 »

Supernova factoid about neutrinos. If you were in the same system as one out as far as the orbit of Jupiter, if you were sheltering behind something the size of Jupiter to protect you from all the other effects, you would be killed by the neutrino flux.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #125 on: 17 Oct 2020, 18:23 »

Supernova factoid about neutrinos. If you were in the same system as one out as far as the orbit of Jupiter, if you were sheltering behind something the size of Jupiter to protect you from all the other effects, you would be killed by the neutrino flux.
See pages 174-177 of "What If?" by Randall Munroe. It gives a worryingly researched description of this exact subject.

Scarlet Manuka

« Reply #126 on: 20 Oct 2020, 02:23 »

``Chassis'' may be the wrong world. A chassis what does physical structural support, but cybrid bodies do more than that.
"Chassis" is pretty well established within the comic, for instance here. My feeling is that "chassis" is used when one wants to talk about it in an entirely physical way and "body" when one wants to reference or include the owner's presence within (and thus in normal conversation most of the time).

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #127 on: 20 Oct 2020, 03:02 »

We are Star stuff

SPACE poop, if you don't mind!
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #128 on: 20 Oct 2020, 13:19 »

Firstly in reply to the poll

We are the King of England

We are the House of Lords

We are the Mayor of London

We are the just cause.

We are Devo

I always had a question about this for you guys, so, does this mean that you're not men?

Sierra, Quebec, Uniform, Echo, Echo, Echo, [(Echo)repeat]

THE SQUEELD

*power chords*

In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #129 on: 20 Oct 2020, 13:51 »

We are Devo
I always had a question about this for you guys, so, does this mean that you're not men?
Absent anything else, Devo are probably quite proud of their Yeti ancestry.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up