THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: There's something wrong with Liz (Real Life Comics)  (Read 12914 times)

flfederation

• Emoticontraindication
  • He/they/whatever

https://reallifecomics.com/comic.php?comic=october-16-2020

That's teal as all heck. The actual hue is 785, it's right between blue and green. To me it looks more green, though 785 is (barely) closer to blue than green.

The green value is 92% of the blue value, but I would trust the hue over that for other colours. "I can't believe we're actually going to paint a room blue!" Neither can I, because you aren't looking at blue paint. Someone help me out here, explain to me that most people you know refer to teal as "blue". Maybe Mae is setting up a joke here. I know it's pedantic, but I'm not usually shaking my hands in the air about it-- Mae herself does that more than I do.

Maybe both Mae and Liz have issues with this-- but they're characters closely based on real people, one of whom has professional-grade digital drawing/painting tools in use on a daily basis. That makes it weird. If Bubs was a guest in this comic, I bet she could settle it for us.

The interdimensional portals in the doorways of their home I can deal with-- but this is just bizarre. There's even a relevant QC strip, where Jeph passes the test: https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=5
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2020, 09:44 by flfederation »

teal the seal

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
Re: There's something wrong with Liz (Real Life Comics)
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2020, 16:56 »

As a fellow pedant and aesthete, I must say I disagree, except, via this monitor, about panel 4. On my other monitors, it seemed bluer, and even on this monitor, the color sample Liz is holding seems bluer. I suspect the visual environs are affecting the perception of the same distribution of wavelengths.

Apart from the technical or perceptual, there are also some classifications of color that have blue and green mutually subsumed. As we all know, our colors are never only one certain combination of wavelengths, but an entire class. Even black, even white, each comprise many shades. It is a most interesting area on the frontier of our aesthetical enterprises, the classification of such classifications.

flfederation

• Emoticontraindication
  • He/they/whatever
« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2020, 20:19 »

I suppose with a name like yours-- in all fairness, if it was teal-- you would probably know.

As to my question about whether teal can be blue (given that there is a SLIGHTLY greater blue value than green in the image) Wikipedia had this to say:
Teal blue is a medium tone of teal with more blue. The first recorded use of teal blue as a color name in English was in 1927.[9]

The source of this color is the Plochere Color System, a color system formulated in 1948 that is widely used by interior designers. Teal was subsequently a heavily used color in the 1950s and 1960s.[10]Teal blue is also the name of a Crayola crayon color (color #113) from 1990 to 200
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2020, 20:31 by flfederation »

teal the seal

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2020, 01:33 »

Oh, no. I was named after this thread. q: As for those two teal blue colors Plochere's definitely looks blue to me on all my monitors, but Crayola's, via my greener monitor, seems only slightly greener than panel 4. Actually, my first reaction to that page was Did you even wait for it to dry first? because it looked so different to my eye from the sample ticket.

(Is there an eyedropper tool for web-browsers? To click on a color to copy the components vector.)

It's a rare breed indeed who can cite well about important topics. Sadly, I've relied too often on my naïty, even as rigorously as I have.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #4 on: 17 Oct 2020, 14:33 »

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2020, 21:37 »

Your tendency to do this annoys me more than I'm willing to admit to.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

flfederation

• Emoticontraindication
  • He/they/whatever
« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 2020, 01:27 »

I don't know if you mean this thread, or the ellipsis.

Is there an eyedropper tool for web-browsers?

There is a browser extension for that, but I simply took a screencap to use the dropper in my image editor.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #7 on: 18 Oct 2020, 03:47 »

I don't know if you mean this thread, or the ellipsis.

I mean the ellipsis.

It just seems rude. Fine, criticise away, but take the shot.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

flfederation

• Emoticontraindication
  • He/they/whatever
« Reply #8 on: 18 Oct 2020, 15:09 »

It just seems rude. Fine, criticise away, but take the shot.

I can understand how it could be taken that way. Taken more literally, it implies a pause-- perhaps a shorthand for someone indicating they don't understand or are surprised. If I don't already know a person to be unreasonable, sometimes this is a good default.

This is me at the height of benefit-of-the-doubt mode, of course. I also have this one: https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3564 so if it seems like I just don't get what you're saying, I might.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #9 on: 18 Oct 2020, 15:16 »

I'll be honest: I'm confused over this.

A color issue - yeah, right, seen that routinely over my 50+ years of reading comics, both in newsprint and online.

I'm just... well, what exactly do you expect to accomplish, especially considering that this is QC's forum, not RL's?
Just another Joe like 46

teal the seal

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #10 on: 18 Oct 2020, 15:25 »

I took it as an opportune example by which to start discussing the finer points of color perception.

This forum is more popular than that forum.

flfederation

• Emoticontraindication
  • He/they/whatever
« Reply #11 on: 18 Oct 2020, 19:44 »

I'm just... well, what exactly do you expect to accomplish, especially considering that this is QC's forum, not RL's?

Pretty much exactly what you see here, a discussion from intelligent people about colour. I assumed that I wasn't the only person self-identified as a bit pedantic enough to manage it, and I called that one.

I was also hoping someone had a piece of information I considered obscure and unlikely, but eventually I found that myself. I still think it looks very teal, of course. But now at least there is evidence that a reasonable person could call it blue. (At least, I can tolerate the argument that "teal blue exists, and by name is a type of blue".) I don't expect this to be settled, necessarily-- like via an eleventh commandment on stone tablet. But "blue" seems to have been adequately defended here, and thus Liz and Mae as well.

As to whether it might have gone better at the RL forums-- I don't know. People already discuss other comics here, I'm happy with the results myself.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #12 on: 19 Oct 2020, 05:04 »

1. I have deuteranopia. (Red-Green colorblindness)

2. First person who can honestly tell me the difference between the two shades from Friday's and Today's comic (10/16 and 10/19/20), please do.
Just another Joe like 46

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #13 on: 19 Oct 2020, 05:13 »

Today's comic has both shades on the wall for an easy comparison (one mostly, but not entirely overlapping the other).  That said, it's not an oh so huge difference, which I'm pretty sure is the joke.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #14 on: 19 Oct 2020, 05:49 »

One is a slightly lighter tone than the other. From experience, although on a small patch the difference might not seem that great, when spread across an entire wall, the difference becomes much more apparent.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

flfederation

• Emoticontraindication
  • He/they/whatever
« Reply #15 on: 19 Oct 2020, 09:46 »

The slight change in shade making a "night and day" difference is definitely the joke. It's not like this wouldn't happen in reality. This is basically the old (half-)Vulcan joke about how humans aren't logical.

Colour affects emotion and feelings in a way that is scientifically demonstrable and broadly (if not perfectly) consistent, so it actually makes perfect sense that a small difference in shade would have emotional effects that seem disproportionate to the change in paint. But it's still a funny quirk of humans. And bulls. And there are similar effects in insects. And even the (albeit fictional) Vulcan purging of emotion is a learned trait, not a congenital one.

With that said, only the shade changed. The hue changed in a way that shouldn't change other posts here at all, and the green/blue ratio in both paints on the new strip is 89%, meaning it is (barely) leaning blue and you could probably technically call it "teal blue", which you could call "blue" for short and thus make an argument I can't refute. I think I already ceded in the first post that I would accept that it was blue on a technicality, if someone could say how.

I would say that teal blue is more teal than it is blue, but it's got blue in the name doesn't it? We could extend the same argument to "teal green" if anybody called a greenish-teal "teal green". The funny part is this: that original colour they chose looks more teal than blue to me, and I consider teal (perfectly neutral/even blue-green) to be a green colour more than a blue colour. I consider teal to be in the green family, I always have.

Blue is a higher-energy wavelength than green on the electromagnetic spectrum, and red is lower, and red disturbs night vision less than green does. No surprise there.

But even though blue is higher-energy than green, so is UV, and we generally can't perceive that. Green is in the middle of the wavelengths visible to us, not just on the lower-energy side but also farther from UV on the other side, and it's probably natural to perceive a balanced (100% ratio) blue-green as green-- for that reason as well as the following:

By population, about 64% of the cones are red-sensitive, about 32% green sensitive, and about 2% are blue sensitive.

We have the most red-sensitive cones, fewer green and FAR fewer blue. My guess is this is necessary to make up for the different energy wavelengths, but it's probably accurate (I'm not versed enough to say for certain) that we are simply more sensitive to green than blue. So if you look at teal (perfectly 1:1 blue/green) and think it's in the green family, that's probably why.

The fun part is if you call it blue, language is on your side. That's the difference between language and physics, maybe. It's blue if that's what blue means. Though I'm inclined to side with the Vulcans on this one.

Nel blu dipinto di blu
Felice di stare lassù
E volavo, volavo felice più in alto del sole
"Nel blu dipinto di blu" (In the Blue that is painted Blue)
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2020, 10:22 by flfederation »

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #16 on: 19 Oct 2020, 10:22 »

Bulls are colour blind. The flag waving makes them aggressive because of the motion, not the colour red.

It makes sense that we are more sensitive to green than blue as more things we interact with in nature are green than blue, and being able to differentiate between various shades of green would aid us more in surviving, both in navigating through the terrain and in finding food.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #17 on: 19 Oct 2020, 21:36 »

I think this is a simple joke that a thing that you fall in love with in the store can look shit once it's in your house.

The rest is overthinking it. That's merely an observation, btw -- I am very aware that overthinking Is What We Do HereTM.

You should be aware that the way we perceive a colour depends heavily on its surrounding colours. This is a factor you simply cannot account for by picking up an RGB eyedropper. Just google colour illusions; and if you haven't seen them before, then enjoy.

teal the seal

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #18 on: 20 Oct 2020, 00:07 »

The lighter teal looks greener than bluer on each my monitor. My impression was that the darker teal on the whole wall would be gloomy, but the lighter teal on the whole wall would be limpid.
2020-10-19 panel 1 color ticket middle color seems darker than 2020-10-16 panel 1 color ticket middle color.
Pages: [1]   Go Up