THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you all getting early snow this week?

yes
no
actually it's late
What's this 'snow' you speak of?
we have 3 or less seasons here and none of them involve snow

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4381-4385 (Oct 26th to Oct 30th 2020)  (Read 32386 times)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Pretty sure that most of us are either just going to be sheltering at home or working while taking precautions, so there's no point in asking what everybody's plans are. And asking which couple would pull off the best/cutest couples costume would basically devolve into everyone picking their favorite canon ship. So, Halloween music it is.
[It was either this or asking which news source y'all thought was the least reliable. And that's basically a tie between social media and cable news.]

On the topic of QC couples' costumes;
What couples costumes do you guys think each pairing would pick?
Marigold and Dale could go as Retsuko and Haida from Aggretsuko
Martin and Claire could go as Hordak and Princess Entrapta from the new She-Ra. Mostly because Claire does tech and Martin would look hilarious as Hordak.
I'm not sure about the other couples. I suppose Will and Penny could go as either Agatha and Tarvek or Gil, or as the Foglios's stand-ins in Girl Genius. Though Penny and Will could just do steampunk costumes. Late Victorian fashion would actually suit Penny. Maybe Dora and Tai could go as Alice and Selva from Namesake?

EDIT: Additional speculation and ditching pointless parentheses.
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2020, 05:15 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
Re: WCDT strips 4381-4385 (Oct 26th to Oct 30th 2020)
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2020, 15:34 »

Dunno about best, but the 60s were the worst. Specifically 1962.

[EDIT]
The poll changed and my answer no longer makes sense.
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2020, 16:49 by Theta9 »
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2020, 18:50 »

Comics up.

As a shipper of Brun/Clinton/Elliot, I'm now sad.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2020, 19:26 »

This makes me curious if Brun has ever thought about sex with anyone before now.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2020, 19:28 »

Clinton has come a long way from "No, of course it's not a date!"
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2020, 19:36 »

Then Clinton pees himself. Not out of embarrassment or anything, but because he drank too much, and didn't time his bathroom break properly. Or rather, he timed it well, except he got sidetracked by Brun.
Brun finds that she has that kink, and thinks about it. She talks through the whole interaction with Renee, who lets Brun know that that was a pretty hard rejection, but Renee also encourages Brun to pursue what makes her feel good. Brun doesn't want to make it complicated with Clinton,
so we get a whole protracted thing about her thoughts about it, which, if it results in Brun asking Clinton out, to explore her kink, may end poorly for Brun, because of her previous hard rejection,
but Clinton, if he has the corresponding kink (we don't know either way, but it's a possiblity), would complicate his rejecting Brun, because he wants to explore that kink, but he might not want to cheat on Elliot, if they end up dating. Elliot, though, is open to considering polyamory, so all Clinton would have to do is talk to Elliot about it---
but we all know that that would be the boring way to write that story.
(click to show/hide)
07 & Jeremy would be 佐々木健二&金子薫.
Bleminda & Garbaldo would be Santa Clause. Both of them. As one. Because they lost a bet to someone who Hannelore, not noticing it's Juicypants in costume, will give a name. Juicypants insists on being called by their real name. Hannelore recognizes the voice. -handwaviness-> Profit.
Bubbles & Faye would be Bob Loblaw & Saul Goodman.
Claire & Marten would be Hunky Dory.
Clinton & Elliot, if they become a couple, would be Frankenstein & his monster.
Cosette & Steve would be Hetson & Graffin
Dale & Marigold would be Isaac & Miria; Isaac & Miria, being themselves, as expected, are perplexed at seeing their duplicates and entertain ludicrous conclusions.
Dora & Tai would be Sonya&折部やすな; Emily would be 呉織あぎり independently thereof, without noticing the significance.
Jim & Veronica would be John & Sherlock; Sam would be James.
Penelope & Wil would be Mary & Percy; Pizza GIrl would be Penelope. This may be when they finally meet and annihilate each other, as chronicled by Jimbo in his inimitable (``'cause [other authors] don't got the guts'') style.
Sweet-tits & Yelling-bird have a die hard holiday philosophy: we'll just see them eating Saturday-Morning Breakfast-Cereal. (With apologies to the Weiner.)
Tilly & Station would be 岩倉レイン&橘総合研究所; Ellicot would be Hodgson, and Pintsize's AnthroPC friends would be KNIGHTS.
Yay Newfriend would be John Malkovich.
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2020, 20:02 by N.N. Marf »
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2020, 20:16 »

Comic #4333 - The Other Punchline

Does this method of determining attractiveness keep appearing because it's common or because it's funny?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2020, 20:42 »

Comics up.

As a shipper of Brun/Clinton/Elliot, I'm now sad.

Ditto 🙁
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

N.N. Marf

« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2020, 21:03 »

Does this method of determining attractiveness keep appearing because it's common or because it's funny?
I won't say whether often or funny, but in my case, not effective. A schism between the imagined and the real is that has those classes, albeit not disjoint, distinct.
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #9 on: 25 Oct 2020, 21:09 »

Depending on your level of ability to fully immerse yourself in your imaginings, it doesn't strike me as a particularly accurate method of gaugings one's feelings of attraction.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #10 on: 25 Oct 2020, 21:23 »

I also wouldn't interpret the question, "Do you find me attractive," as an invitation to immediately imagine having sex with them.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #11 on: 25 Oct 2020, 21:52 »

Also fair, although I can't really think of a situation where I would actually ask that question.
@syleegrrl

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #12 on: 25 Oct 2020, 22:27 »

I also also don't think that rating my desire to have sex with someone as the greatest way of determining whether I want to start a relationship with them.

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #13 on: 25 Oct 2020, 23:26 »

This is another of those comics where I read it and chuckle - then I re-read it and chuckle again...
It seems Clinton is doomed to be QC's Butt Monkey  :-D
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

N.N. Marf

« Reply #14 on: 25 Oct 2020, 23:42 »

Depending on your level of ability to fully immerse yourself in your imaginings, it doesn't strike me as a particularly accurate method of gaugings one's feelings of attraction.
Oh, I fully immerse myself in my imagination, when I do. And even when I don't. Even when I `stick to the facts' about the person. The best guage, I found, is going over all the little details, in mind, imagining fully each separately. After which, when I interact with the person, with all those small imaginings ready---after a few times, I can make the decision. A few days later, I make my decision. This is actually the same as my hiring process, except I stick to the facts on the resume. (And use a bland surrogate (average employee) instead of meeting them---the interview is after the decision is finalized, only to test the truth of their resume.) That's actually why I thought the `dating resume' bit was perfectly natural. (Or was that from Something Positive? which I found about the same time as Questionable Content, and my start-binge had me switching between them like alternating storylines---meanwhile in Boston.. meanwhile in Northampton.. To day, they feel like mutual spins-off.)
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2020, 23:49 by N.N. Marf »

jesslc

• Furry furrier
« Reply #15 on: 26 Oct 2020, 00:10 »

Based on various comments Brun has made in the past, I've been under the impression that she doesn't really have much/any personal experience with intimate relationships.

So I think Brun is mostly likely basing her attempt to work out if she finds Clinton attractive on what she has interpreted from Renee's approach to things. Since Renee has a lot of casual flings, I can easily see Brun observing that and thinking that's what it means to be attracted to someone.

See also Brun generalising from Renee's behaviour previously in the comic here: https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4237

Perhaps we'll get a future comic where Brun tells Renee about this conversation with Clinton and Renee tries to explain that attraction isn't just wanting to have sex with someone. It can be, but attraction also shows itself in other ways too.

Editted to add:
This makes me curious if Brun has ever thought about sex with anyone before now.
Personally, I've been getting bit of an ace-spectrum vibe from Brun for quite a while now. Maybe I'm projecting but this latest comic certainly doesn't dispel my earlier impression.
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2020, 00:20 by jesslc »

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #16 on: 26 Oct 2020, 00:15 »

I think that this was a very obvious outcome in one variation or another. It makes sense that Brun just simply isn't wired up to think of Elliot or Clinton in this way.

In any case, some might recall that, about 6 months ago, Jeph publicaly announced on Twitter that he'd arbitrarily decided to add a new queer couple to QC on the grounds that someone had emailed him out of the blue to complain about the number of queer couples in the strip. Elliot and Clinton were then slightly rewritten to make this happen and Millie was turned into a romantic foil for Brun to get her out of the way. It's his strip, I guess.

I mean, it's been my impression that Brun is aromantic and possibly asexual ever since Renee had to walk her through the possibility that her morning in the park with Millifeulle could have been interpreted as a date (something that obviously surprised her).

Based on various comments Brun has made in the past, I've been under the impression that she doesn't really have much/any personal experience with intimate relationships.

So I think Brun is mostly likely basing her attempt to work out if she finds Clinton attractive on what she has interpreted from Renee's approach to things. Since Renee has a lot of casual flings, I can easily see Brun observing that and thinking that's what it means to be attracted to someone.

See also Brun generalising from Renee's behaviour previously in the comic here:
https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4237

Perhaps we'll get a future comic where Brun tells Renee about this conversation with Clinton and Renee tries to explain that attraction isn't just wanting to have sex with someone. It can be, but attraction also shows itself in other ways too. 

I've said before that I think that Brun has no real idea of what a healthy romantic/intimate relationship is like due to a lack of good examples.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

jesslc

• Furry furrier
« Reply #17 on: 26 Oct 2020, 00:35 »

I think that this was a very obvious outcome in one variation or another. It makes sense that Brun just simply isn't wired up to think of Elliot or Clinton in this way.

In any case, some might recall that, about 6 months ago, Jeph publicaly announced on Twitter that he'd arbitrarily decided to add a new queer couple to QC on the grounds that someone had emailed him out of the blue to complain about the number of queer couples in the strip. Elliot and Clinton were then slightly rewritten to make this happen and Millie was turned into a romantic foil for Brun to get her out of the way. It's his strip, I guess.
This is very interesting - I don't use Twitter so I missed that. I don't suppose you have a link? I'm curious about exactly what Jeph said.

I mean, it's been my impression that Brun is aromantic and possibly asexual ever since Renee had to walk her through the possibility that her morning in the park with Millifeulle could have been interpreted as a date (something that obviously surprised her).
I think you're mixing up how Renee responded to Brun telling her about the walk with Faye and Bubbles talking to Millefeuille about it. As I recall it, Renee just said "hmmm" or something like that and I'm pretty sure Brun still doesn't know that that walk might have been interpreted as a date.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #18 on: 26 Oct 2020, 02:14 »

After todays comic I have very serious doubts Brun is even able to ever have a relationship. If the criterion to decide if you want a relationship with somebody is thinking if you like the idea of having sex with them then, well, thats really not how you decide to have a relationship.

Heck I imagine thats not even how some people decide if they want a one night stand. I know nobody like that and thus cant ask them, but from what I understand about such people, they too decide based on the question if they like that person, or not.

I mean if you're not attracted to a person at all, sure, thats certainly not going to work out. But if you're attracte to a person and cannot stand them, well then that wont work out either.

And if you're not that attracted to them but get to know and like them, well they usually get more attractive to you. Theres definitely the case of two people meeting who cant stand each other at first and in the end they start a relationship.

Todays comic really reminds me of a hilarious posting of an asexual on the deviantart forum - deviantart is full autists and also quite a lot of asexuals - in which they described how they wrote a romance story as a teenager. He or she (I dont know that persons gender) really wrote their loverpair would stay together because they liked how their partners primary sexual organ looked like. ROTFL.

About that poll. I only know of Halloween from Hollywood movies, specifically tv shows. Until now I didnt even knew such a thing as Halloween music existed. Those tv shows havent mentioned that.

I only had children at my doorstep wanting candy once. And that was muslim children, and they knew so little about Halloween that they didnt wear costumes. And they have already been very annoyed state because everybody else didnt have candy for them either.

Oh, and about that. Hollywood also keeps telling everybody we Germans have the Oktoberfest. WE DONT.

Bavaria is that part of Germany thats north of Austria, and has Munich in its middle. THEY have the Oktoberfest. Since I'm not from Bavaria, I know as much about the Oktoberfest as about Halloween. And quite frankly it sounds very dull.
Carpe Diem

Gyrre

« Reply #19 on: 26 Oct 2020, 05:59 »

So this poll-related electroswing mix was in my suggested videos. Looks like there's a bit of a tour through the decades.
The only one I haven't liked so far was what was done with Thriller. Admittedly, there's a few songs in here that don't fit the theme.

a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Dock Braun

• Curry sauce
  • Wear a mask.
ℝ–ℚ=∅
« Reply #20 on: 26 Oct 2020, 06:29 »

It surprised me, too, the first time. All my dates have been like that, like something I'd do with a friend, but sometimes only with an intimate friend. Well, sometimes, it goes a little further. It depends on the person, and our mood. Like ℝ as upper/lower sets in ℚ. Sex is that optimum: never necessary, sometimes not there. Wham-bam thanks-now-leave sex feel like ℤ, which are fun, too.
Trouble with the world isn't too many people―it's too many bodies. ---Professor E. Kingswater

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier
« Reply #21 on: 26 Oct 2020, 07:00 »

I’ve long regarded Brun as being probably asexual. Clinton’s understandably insulted by what Brun said, but I strongly suspect that Brun would find visualizing sex with anyone not arousing. She’s finding it surprising because she hasn’t really tried that before, and she’s been around Renee long enough that she sees sex as a normal thing people do, and she has assumed she’d find visualizing sex arousing.

Not that Clinton’s seeing it that way. Sadly, this was my life through about age 20, getting that reaction from girls who were definitely NOT asexual. I have 3-4 stories like this that I can think of off the top of my head.

If I’m considering having a relationship with a woman, of course I visualize having sex with her. If that’s not arousing, I can’t imagine it working out. That doesn’t mean I’ll attempt a relation, that the relationship is going to happen, or that it will work out if it does. It doesn’t mean I’m willing to sleep with her on a first date, either, just that I can visualize it working in the long run. It seems like a pretty basic prerequisite for being interested in the first place, and I find it a bit baffling that people are pooh-poohing it here.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #22 on: 26 Oct 2020, 07:10 »

Many people don't develop that sort of attraction immediately, and can/will as things progress with a partner.  Now, I'm not saying that's the case with Brun, but like most things in human life, it is indeed a spectrum.

Edit:
In a way, this could actually be good for Clinton, since if he does decide to pursue things with Elliot now, there won't be the whole "road not taken" in the back of his head.
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2020, 08:31 by hedgie »
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Reaver

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #23 on: 26 Oct 2020, 08:19 »

Kinda icky to reply to "Do you find me attractive?" with 'I'm  picturing us having sex"

Like ew.
Bravery is looking down the dark hall, knowing that you are utterly terrified of the dark, and charging in anyways.

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #24 on: 26 Oct 2020, 08:39 »

Kinda icky to reply to "Do you find me attractive?" with 'I'm  picturing us having sex"

Like ew.

It is, and I'm also surprised that Brun would have such a limited idea of what constitutes 'being attracted to somebody'...
Physical attractiveness is 1 specific form, sure, but there are so many others. You can also be mentally, or intellectually attracted to somebody but not physically. Or you can be attracted to somebody on a friendship-level but not sexually. For instance, I have no problem saying that I am attracted to me best friends but not on a physical/romantic level.

When it comes to getting romantically involved with somebody, ideally multiple forms of attractiveness all exist more or less simultaneously, but even then plenty of romantic involvements start (or even last) based on only physical attraction, or only intellectual attraction (a cynic would add "or only economic attraction", but I digress). Often 1 form is present right from the start, another might develop later on.

bright

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #25 on: 26 Oct 2020, 08:56 »

Whelp Elliot looks like you're second choice. Elliot deserves better than being a consolation prize.

Potato Farmer

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #26 on: 26 Oct 2020, 09:52 »

Man, Brun is even less knowledgeable about romance than me. And that's saying something.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #27 on: 26 Oct 2020, 10:00 »

Whelp Elliot looks like you're second choice. Elliot deserves better than being a consolation prize.
I actually didn't read it that way. It felt more like Clinton trying to make sure he wasn't stepping on anyone's toes before he pursued a relationship with Elliot.

SeaWoodStage

• Emoticontraindication
  • I make a lovely cuppa.
« Reply #28 on: 26 Oct 2020, 12:08 »

I've got to admit, my first reading of it was that Clinton was seeing if he had his first choice option before going with a second. But other posters are right, there are other possibilities. The second most obvious understanding (to me personally) is that he was asking Brun if she finds him attractive, because he's just generally nervous about anyone finding him (Clinton) attractive, including Elliot, and was looking for some reassurance?

bright

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #29 on: 26 Oct 2020, 12:42 »

I actually didn't read it that way. It felt more like Clinton trying to make sure he wasn't stepping on anyone's toes before he pursued a relationship with Elliot.

I've got to admit, my first reading of it was that Clinton was seeing if he had his first choice option before going with a second. But other posters are right, there are other possibilities. The second most obvious understanding (to me personally) is that he was asking Brun if she finds him attractive, because he's just generally nervous about anyone finding him (Clinton) attractive, including Elliot, and was looking for some reassurance?

Let's hope you guys are right!  :-D

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #30 on: 26 Oct 2020, 14:00 »

That's a distinct possibility.  I also hardly think that Clinton is alone amongst single people for having multiple crushes.  Finding out which ones are viable or not isn't setting up say, Elliot for "second prize" status, but merely making the process simpler.  I honestly wish that I had his courage these days.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

SeaWoodStage

• Emoticontraindication
  • I make a lovely cuppa.
« Reply #31 on: 26 Oct 2020, 14:02 »

I hope so too! Mind you, that's partly my personal desire to see every character that I like in healthy, happy relationships. Not something that really lends itself to the writing of comics, I imagine  :-)

OOps sorry, my above comment was in reply to @bright although I also agree with you @hedgie. Being single and actively looking is a frightful maze and anyone that lands on their feet is lucky imo.

I know that when I was single, I definitely sniffed around and explored my options. I tried to be direct about it though.

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!
« Reply #32 on: 26 Oct 2020, 14:14 »

Oof, at first glance, it looks like Jeph is shooting down the Clinton/Brun/Elliot ship, but I have a hard time believing he would set it up like this without having some kind of payoff.  I'm still curious to see where this goes.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #33 on: 26 Oct 2020, 14:34 »

I know that when I was single, I definitely sniffed around and explored my options. I tried to be direct about it though.

Clinton's still just starting to figure this stuff out, and is probably a stereotypical nerd in terms of experience navigating human romantic emotions.  I'm a bit more experienced, and rather bruised and battered as a result, but still, people don't make sense.

theMarc

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Oh God, it's all over my body.
« Reply #34 on: 26 Oct 2020, 14:43 »

Lol, geez, Brun, if you're gonna be that brutal, why not just kick him in the nuts and be done with it?
Be kind and generous to all people, even imaginary people who only exist in a webcomic, because that’s good practice for the real world.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #35 on: 26 Oct 2020, 14:52 »

After todays comic I have very serious doubts Brun is even able to ever have a relationship. If the criterion to decide if you want a relationship with somebody is thinking if you like the idea of having sex with them then, well, thats really not how you decide to have a relationship.

I'm not really comfortable with the terminology that's being used in these sentences. Primarily the word 'able.' Happy to elaborate further if you need more.

Frankly, Clinton's reaction, to me, reads like a fairly common human one and the same one that I would have, but also an indication that people place rather too much emphasis on their sexual appeal to others. Especially men. Of the people I know in person, at least half of them are people who would probably find the thought of having sex with me disgusting, and that's totally cool with me!

Please note, this is not referring to the sexuality-based disgust that a lot of people express, which is insulting and problematic as fuck.

It's not necessarily a nice thing to hear, obviously. But I think a lot of that upset comes from the insult of it, not just the 'it's true, but he shouldn't say it'

if I’m considering having a relationship with a woman, of course I visualize having sex with her. If that’s not arousing, I can’t imagine it working out.

If you're using this as a disqualifier, I strongly recommend reconsidering it. I have found that experence, context and bond have a huge effect on this kind of thing. I've found myself in some surprising situations and with some surprising crushes as a result.

So if Brun had said yes first because it had come up first, and then Elliot had said no, Brun would be the second choice?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

SeaWoodStage

• Emoticontraindication
  • I make a lovely cuppa.
« Reply #36 on: 26 Oct 2020, 15:24 »

@hedgie I think I agree, if I'm putting words in your mouth please say. It was slightly different for me, as when I was younger (in the 18-25 bracket) I was definitely above average in the 'pretty' sense, but also had no idea that that was the case. I tended to hang out with (and seek sexual and romantic partners in) a limited group. I'm wondering if Clinton is now experiencing the heady feeling of being found attractive.
Btw if Clinton and Elliot get it on, that's cool with me. But I can see Clinton having some issues (rightfully so)
Just to be clear, I didn't mean that Clinton's issues would be to do with sexual and/or romantic relations with another male. I mean that he's not a confident person in himself and I csn see him overthinking this.

Wow I really overthought this comment on an internet forum :)
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2020, 15:34 by SeaWoodStage »

flfederation

• Emoticontraindication
  • He/they/whatever
« Reply #37 on: 26 Oct 2020, 15:41 »

It is, and I'm also surprised that Brun would have such a limited idea of what constitutes 'being attracted to somebody'...

I suspect she was just trying to be honest and self-analytical, which is Brun's socially-naive sincerity. I realise it's the sort of answer that would creep some people out, but she wasn't soliciting it, she was just trying to answer the question she was asked by someone she thinks is alright as a person.

As to whether this is a cop-out, she would probably apologise as soon as someone informed her that it was a creepy answer.

I wouldn't be creeped out by it though. I can totally relate to Clinton's discomfort at the redundancy of the answer. She's thinking out loud, she doesn't get his reaction.

This is what I would expect of Brun, and I feel the same way about her that Clinton does. Her response is no surprise to me. Brun delights in reading people correctly and is frustrated when their responses are confusing.

The best thing about Brun is just how well she's written. Compare that with the film "Adam", which is cute enough at first and has its moments, though I thought the ending was a bit hateful. (Sadly) realistic in some ways, hateful in others-- like a romantic comedy about an interracial couple, who finally "come to their senses" and decide to "stay with their own kind". I wonder if the people who made it (not the actors, though I'd be willing to ask out of curiosity) ever feel ashamed, or wonder if they didn't do millions of people a great disservice. Nobody has to make film into propaganda, but I really wonder if they didn't end up doing exactly that anyway.

Physical attractiveness is 1 specific form, sure, but there are so many others. You can also be mentally, or intellectually attracted to somebody but not physically.

Very true. But in her thinking that might be semantic, because even if she is attracted to Clinton on a different level, she might not think of that as "attraction" because her concept of it is based on more of what she's been told than what she's felt-- which is why she's naive about it. "I'm actually surprised" she says, could even imply that she is attracted in some other way, but doesn't file that under "attraction" which she assumes is physical.

So this could easily be a situation where she's trying to figure out her feelings (when put on the spot) but she doesn't have the dictionary for it-- or she only read the first definition of each word.

The fact that she's even willing to contemplate this for Clinton, when we've seen her usual responses to advances is telling, IMO.

What I get from Brun is a lot of selective alexithymia. People think of alexithymia as in inability (which is even similar to how Brun has a limited concept of attraction) but like so many things, alexithymia is really on a spectrum. So the underlying thing here is that Brun has a stunted (but not necessarily permanently stunted, sometimes just delayed-developing) understanding of her own feelings. And while she normally responds to things with "go away", for Clinton she just stands there (after saying she was busy, which is true) trying to figure it out.

I've also had friends who were aces, and while I've wondered for a while if Brun is one, it's possible she is just discovering now that she isn't physically attracted to anybody. Clinton should find (small) comfort in her surprise, because I really think she likes him more than average on some level. If he really loves Brun (I'm not saying he does or doesn't) then he should really appreciate that. It wouldn't be easy, but he's learning a lot these days. Clinton used to act more entitled, and lately (like Renee) he's been allowing himself to be more vulnerable. That's basically a leap forward for any person that manages it.

When you consider the likelihood of this, all this, I think the situation is romantic, in a clumsy and bashful way.

Obviously I'm not reading Jeph's mind and I don't assume I'm right. But I've known enough real people like Brun to be able to hypothesise.

Doesn't everybody? But who gave Clinton the advice to check out his options?
"Second choice" applies more firmly to monogamy. Going back in the story, a monogamous relationship (or whatever you want to call what Clinton is trying to do) wasn't necessarily the goal here.

These are people exploring their feelings-- possibly by getting into serious relationships, possibly by messing around.

Go back to when Martin had that fling with that hippie girl. Casual sex is a thing in this comic.

Clinton doesn't have a much better idea of what he's doing (but how else would he learn?) than Elliot. And Elliot might not mind :)
Wait, wait, wait--

I was trying to think about how Renee would have advised Clinton to talk to BOTH Elliot and Brun.

But that's because he's interested in both. It was actually Renee who advised Elliot to talk to both Clinton and Brun.

Clinton and Elliot are doing pretty much exactly the same thing, and not with bad intentions. Renee is pushing one into this, gently, and Clinton didn't even initiate this.Clinton at least, is exploring feelings he never explored before. I'm not sure it's fair to expect him to be as enthused about something he's nervous about, even if he's interested. Either way, I won't hold him to a higher standard than Elliot.

I'll give them all a pass on this. Even Renee, who I'm typically not eager to defend. But she's been trying lately, and showing she cares. I think she's earned a little slack.

Love is non-linear. You can think someone is the hottest person in the world, and a year later find out that the sort of dorky person you didn't pay enough attention to at first is the love of your life. Who wants to disqualify that, if it turns out that way? What matters is that both parties care, and that people are happy. If their love starts out as two idiots with a silly crush, those people need love too. Unless you think all true love is at first sight. I would say that disqualifies most love that is real and long-lasting.

Elliot does deserve someone wonderful, but that could still be Clinton. After Brun, my favourite is Claire (they're really sort of tied) but I wouldn't get in the way of Marten's happiness for a million dollars. And Claire wouldn't let anybody, they might as well be Jim and Pam (sorry, Jeph! Unless that's what you were going for.) EDIT: I've spelled Marten's name wrong for years. TILLY TILLY TILLY TILLY TILLY TILLY TILLY TILLY TILLY TILLY TILLY TILLY TILLY TILLY TILLY TILLY...
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2020, 18:48 by flfederation »

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #38 on: 26 Oct 2020, 16:37 »

Poll answer:

I live on the Southern Hemisphere. We're moving towards summer now. No snow in the forecast atm.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #39 on: 26 Oct 2020, 16:52 »

Although I'm in the northern hemisphere, I'm in California, so we maybe get snow once every 30 years or so at my elevation.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #40 on: 26 Oct 2020, 16:57 »

Snow predicted for this Friday here in Northampton. It feels early, but it's actually not too out of line historically.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #41 on: 26 Oct 2020, 18:20 »

I live in a location that alternates 25-degree dry cold snaps and 40-degree downpours all winter (Fahrenheit). We got two inches of snow all of last year. The year before, we got hit with a storm that dropped around sixteen inches of snow, which is about four times our average amount for a whole winter.

Basically, no snow. Possibly for the next three months.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #42 on: 26 Oct 2020, 18:22 »

Just rain here.

rain rain rain

Apparently it snowed in Sydney in 1836.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #43 on: 26 Oct 2020, 18:32 »

Comic’s up.

Yeah, time for Brun to be getting back to work.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

flfederation

• Emoticontraindication
  • He/they/whatever
« Reply #44 on: 26 Oct 2020, 18:45 »

Yay Newfriend would be John Malkovich.
I would buy that DVD (they still make those things) and I hate the movie industry.
"Your Glasses will be ready in about an Hour, Ted Danson!" - John Malkovich

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #45 on: 26 Oct 2020, 18:46 »

I'm thinking Brun is asexual or possibly gay....

flfederation

• Emoticontraindication
  • He/they/whatever
« Reply #46 on: 26 Oct 2020, 18:52 »

I did consider that. But after yesterday's comic I thought perhaps she was gray-sexual (demisexual) and since my previous post, todays's went up (which easily supports that idea.) I was thinking "there has to be a Kinsey-like dimension for aces" and there is, and AVEN recognises it.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #47 on: 26 Oct 2020, 19:11 »

I'm thinking that living with Renee for so long has given Brun some misguided ideas about things considered socially acceptable to say.

Edit: And, come to think of it, probably what constitutes attraction and what a relationship entails.
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2020, 19:30 by Gnabberwocky »

Hypersapien

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #48 on: 26 Oct 2020, 19:20 »

I'm betting on ace. I have trouble seeing Brun attracted to anyone.

She might have sex, purely as an experiment. Although that might be permanently on the "someday she'll get around to it" list.

Magniras

• Larger than most fish
  • INTERNET SPACESHIPS
« Reply #49 on: 26 Oct 2020, 19:27 »

Well at least we know there wont be a love triangle now!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up