THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If you were to get a cameo in QC, which of the following would you choose?

human
AnthroPC
low fidelity anthromimetic AI (screenface, dome ears, noseless, etc)
high fidelity anthromimetic AI
appliance AI (Toastbot et al)
animal-esque AI (big spider,flying squid/jellyifish)
other
Clinton drink more water

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 4391-4395 (Nov 9th -13th, 2020)  (Read 26707 times)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
WCDT 4391-4395 (Nov 9th -13th, 2020)
« on: 08 Nov 2020, 04:44 »

As tempting as it was to make the poll political, we've already got a subforum for that.
'Hurray for voting and counting' is what I'll limit myself to.

Anyways, now that Tuesday is finally over, I don't recall ever seeing this poll done and I thought it'd be interesting. If it's been done before, I suspect it's been long enough to need an upgrade.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gyrre

Re: WCDT 4391-4395 (Nov 9th -13th, 2020)
« Reply #1 on: 08 Nov 2020, 04:45 »

Honestly, I'm undecided as to the poll.
a real-ass gaddam sword

TorporChambre

• Emoticontraindication
  • Hannelore Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: 08 Nov 2020, 06:02 »

Newfriend's first dog. Azuma unwittingly by a new prototype turned me into, after long theoretical discussions, after days homeless because jobless, because I'm too theoretical. Came to Northampton to visit 5-school consortium, but driver left me.
Found their gray eminence, saw one leave one way, another enter another. Curious, followed, insisted myself to them. Why they started an apartment more than charge pods. They remain unwitting why other their dogs can't complex requests.
``Remember about advanced texnics and noise?
We've hit fiction from science indistinct''
~Carl-E, QC forums

Gyrre

« Reply #3 on: 08 Nov 2020, 07:04 »

Hmmmmmmmmm..........argh!
This is a tough choice! While I'd like to see more representation for my body type (short with a large frame), being a low-fidelity anthromimetic AI could also be fun.

Damn my principles! I want to see the poll results but I haven't voted yet :gonk:
a real-ass gaddam sword

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #4 on: 08 Nov 2020, 08:30 »

Some years ago I came to the conclusion that I am, in fact, human, and furthermore that I wish to remain so. Therefore if any cameo is to be "me", that cameo must be human.

"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #5 on: 08 Nov 2020, 08:56 »

I've long wished to be the guy sitting in seat towards the back of The Secret Bakery, Coffee of Doom or The Horrible Revelation, nursing one drink for a few hours and observing everything before making a vague attempt at a witty quip and making a discreet departure. Just a passer-by.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #6 on: 08 Nov 2020, 12:15 »

A series of glitches in the taglines.
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

chris73

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #7 on: 08 Nov 2020, 13:32 »

Not sure how I'm feeling about this character (Burrito girl) , she seems to have more than a passing interest in other peoples private conversations.

I mean yeah I get that Eliots having these conversations in public so no right to privacy but like in the first appearance of Burrito girl shes actively leaning forward to hear whats being said..I dunno maybe its just me (probably just me) but it feels like shes treating Eliots conversations like its some cute entertainment and not as it actually is, that is Eliot being highly embarrassed and awkward and not something he'd like other people to know, particularly other people he doesn't know

Or I'm completely wrong

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #8 on: 08 Nov 2020, 16:30 »

I picked Clinton drink more water, because I don't care what kind of body I have, I want to tell the characters the easy and obvious advice to make their lives better that I can see from out here that they can't because they're in it.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #9 on: 08 Nov 2020, 17:08 »

I'd like to be a toaster for a day.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Reaver

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #10 on: 08 Nov 2020, 18:19 »

Not sure how I'm feeling about this character (Burrito girl) , she seems to have more than a passing interest in other peoples private conversations.

I mean yeah I get that Eliots having these conversations in public so no right to privacy but like in the first appearance of Burrito girl shes actively leaning forward to hear whats being said..I dunno maybe its just me (probably just me) but it feels like shes treating Eliots conversations like its some cute entertainment and not as it actually is, that is Eliot being highly embarrassed and awkward and not something he'd like other people to know, particularly other people he doesn't know

Or I'm completely wrong

She was actively listening in when Clinton and Elliot were at her place of work too, she needs to back off.
Bravery is looking down the dark hall, knowing that you are utterly terrified of the dark, and charging in anyways.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #11 on: 08 Nov 2020, 18:21 »

Comic!

Renee seems unfairly combative to Dan here. Considering past experiences, it makes sense, but still. Give the guy a chance to be an asshole before you treat him like he's one.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #12 on: 08 Nov 2020, 18:44 »

Hello Renee and The-Person-Formerly-Known-As-Shitty-Dan!

I didn't read Renee's comment as being particularly combative, but more of a mix between a joke and a warning.

Gyrre

« Reply #13 on: 08 Nov 2020, 18:46 »

Comic!

Renee seems unfairly combative to Dan here. Considering past experiences, it makes sense, but still. Give the guy a chance to be an asshole before you treat him like he's one.
She has stated her chronic self-sabotage. It could be a mix of that and a 'I like you , please don't blow this' sort of thing.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #14 on: 08 Nov 2020, 19:09 »

What's a "Renegade playthrough?"

LilShortstuf

• Not quite a lurker
  • Shenanigans
« Reply #15 on: 08 Nov 2020, 19:48 »

What's a "Renegade playthrough?"

Morally bad side of things options in the Mass Effect games

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #16 on: 08 Nov 2020, 20:03 »

Deliberately picking bad guy options, generally.

Hi Dan!

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #17 on: 08 Nov 2020, 20:23 »

I put "other" (what a shock
I would want to be human - but a weird Northampton human, like Fairygirl or Dolphin Jack or Vespavenger or Jimbo...
You know - the sort of person who would make Marten or Hanners say "This f****** town"  :-D
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Gyrre

« Reply #18 on: 08 Nov 2020, 21:37 »

I caved and went human.

You don't really se a lot of short, stocky, broad-shouldered guys in the 5'5" (165cm), 220lbs (99.8kg) range in drawn media.

It's funny, one of my QA coworkers is the same height as me yet I'm more than twice his weight because he's got a petite frame vs my large frame. My forearms are the same size as his calves. We both hate clothes shopping for inverted reasons. I'd happily take too baggy over too long  any day of the week.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Dolphin Jack

• Not quite a lurker
  • I wish the woud
« Reply #19 on: 08 Nov 2020, 21:41 »

I put "other" (what a shock
I would want to be human - but a weird Northampton human, like Fairygirl or Dolphin Jack or Vespavenger or Jimbo...
You know - the sort of person who would make Marten or Hanners say "This f****** town"  :-D
:-D

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #20 on: 08 Nov 2020, 21:54 »

HI BARRY
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #21 on: 08 Nov 2020, 22:20 »

Renegade isn't necessarily *evil*, exactly.  It's a shoot first, human-centric, "whatever it takes" mentality, as opposed to the paragon diplomatic, obviously not pacifist but shooting is more of a last resort, "there are lines we don't cross no matter what" mentality.  (Example: people love Buzz Aldrin for punching the reporter who was harassing him and his daughter about the moon landings being faked, and nearly every player I've talked to snaps and punches the annoying reporter who deliberately paints the main character in the absolute worst possible light at some point in playthroughs.  Clearly a renegade option, but not one I would consider evil.)

Which is more evil: unleashing a race of insectoid aliens that had terrorized the galaxy and the galaxy had banded together to eliminate once before, at great cost, on the word of a queen promising that they would behave themselves, no, for real this time; or killing the queen and the surviving children to prevent them from destroying everything?  Leaving them trapped where they are is not an option because plot reasons.  You get a lot of choices where there are valid arguments on both sides, and which one is right depends on whether you believe that the ends justify the means or there are certain things that can never be justified.

Of course, a lot of times, renegade options are an excuse to play Shepard as an asshole.  So there is that.

(Worth noting that Saturday was N7 Day, an annual celebration for Mass Effect fans, and this went up on Patreon Saturday.)

Dolphin Jack

• Not quite a lurker
  • I wish the woud
« Reply #22 on: 08 Nov 2020, 22:23 »

I'm choose appliance because I liking to working but les speech. Probly "disimbodying" AI or heavy farm impliment.
HI BARRY
HI! ^v^ Beeing good hellthy! All most losing the pasword! D-,: Good beeing this agan!

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #23 on: 08 Nov 2020, 22:53 »

Renegade isn't necessarily *evil*, exactly.  It's a shoot first, human-centric, "whatever it takes" mentality, as opposed to the paragon diplomatic, obviously not pacifist but shooting is more of a last resort, "there are lines we don't cross no matter what" mentality.  (Example: people love Buzz Aldrin for punching the reporter who was harassing him and his daughter about the moon landings being faked, and nearly every player I've talked to snaps and punches the annoying reporter who deliberately paints the main character in the absolute worst possible light at some point in playthroughs.  Clearly a renegade option, but not one I would consider evil.)

I always characterize Renegade runs in ME as very-selfish chaotic neutral. To a casual observer, most of asshole-Shepard's actions will appear evil. But inflicting harm or suffering usually isn't the purpose, it's just the quickest way to get what asshole-Shepard wants.
Quis pater tibi est?

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #24 on: 08 Nov 2020, 23:27 »

Well, I'm glad that my ability to predict events in this strip isn't entirely dead. No "I'm dropping everything and moving out here to be with you" but I guess it is early days and Dan has more roots to impede an impulse move than Veronica ever did.

It does sort of say lots of things about the general quality of Renee's hook-ups that she's so cynical about Dan's reaction to Brun. I can see why she's sort of given up on the idea of finding someone who sees her as anything other than a one-off sex object, so I expect her to remain cynical and frightened of being hurt by Dan turning out to be like the rest of them for a long while yet.

I wonder if the dining room table is still covered with MtG paraphernalia that got scattered when Renee and Dan jumped each other?

Meanwhile, I'm wondering if Dan's personality is Jeph's 'gamer nerd' side?
~~~~

dawolf

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #25 on: 09 Nov 2020, 00:11 »

As I recall before, the guy Renee hooked up with was arguably just chatting with Brun, but Renee took it as flirting.

So I assume whatever this guy says, she's going to accuse him of flirting. She has trust issues and it'll come out now.

Gargoylezoo

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #26 on: 09 Nov 2020, 00:29 »

Goddamn it, Clinton, you stupid twink. What the fuck were you thinking about?

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #27 on: 09 Nov 2020, 01:12 »

As I recall before, the guy Renee hooked up with was arguably just chatting with Brun, but Renee took it as flirting.

So I assume whatever this guy says, she's going to accuse him of flirting. She has trust issues and it'll come out now.

I had only vaguely recalled the incident Renee is referencing, but having found it, it's not entirely her projection.

dawolf

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #28 on: 09 Nov 2020, 01:26 »

I had only vaguely recalled the incident Renee is referencing, but having found it, it's not entirely her projection.

Really? Asking someone's ethnicity is considered flirting?

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #29 on: 09 Nov 2020, 01:31 »

Really? Asking someone's ethnicity is considered flirting?

Doing so whilst flexing half-naked can best be interpreted as an incredibly lame attempt at a pick-up line. Dan, at least, is enough of a nerd that, if he were to try that, it would be impossible to take seriously, especially if he tries to compare her to Lt Ashley Williams.
~~~~

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #30 on: 09 Nov 2020, 01:35 »

Linked the wrong comic. The preceding one is more overt and puts the following behaviour in a different light.

Gyrre

« Reply #31 on: 09 Nov 2020, 07:14 »

Seems he was also oggling her and thinking of things in a mindset from 70 years ago.

EDIT: removing extraneous 'the'. Past time for bed. G'night.
« Last Edit: 09 Nov 2020, 08:07 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

ihaveavoice

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #32 on: 09 Nov 2020, 07:42 »

I'd also say that the look on his face makes it clear the tone he's using, and that use of exotic = sexualizing someone's ethnicity even if you're not actively hitting on them, which...no. Stop. Just don't ever call people exotic as if they are birds or plants. And asking someone "where they're from...ethnically" in the first place? Dude was gross. Renee has shown that she totally does have trust issues, but those are not why she told that fucker to leave.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #33 on: 09 Nov 2020, 08:36 »

Still no May !!! *protest*

Some years ago I came to the conclusion that I am, in fact, human, and furthermore that I wish to remain so. Therefore if any cameo is to be "me", that cameo must be human.
For the exact same reason I always play Darkelf in video games, whenever thats an option. :-D

(Just joking, I play all kinds of races ... even sometimes human)
Carpe Diem

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #34 on: 09 Nov 2020, 08:37 »

As I said at the time, the dude's use of "Exotic!" had strong overtones of "Lebanese? There's a notch I don't have in my belt yet!" It was obvious to me and clearly Renee interpreted it the same way.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier
« Reply #35 on: 09 Nov 2020, 10:29 »

I always characterize Renegade runs in ME as very-selfish chaotic neutral. To a casual observer, most of asshole-Shepard's actions will appear evil. But inflicting harm or suffering usually isn't the purpose, it's just the quickest way to get what asshole-Shepard wants.

I agree with this, but it's a bit sabotaged by poor writing. Asshole Shepard is frequently an asshole for no reason. Sometimes he's an asshole when being an asshole works against his own best interests. He can't manage greasy, dishonest politeness even when that's what will do the job, because the writer can't imagine anything more sophisticated than being an obvious asshole.

I don't do Renegade playthroughs in most games. I did dip my toe in it in Fallout 3 and Fallout 4, in that I completed some of the evil quests in order to experience the content, but there are some lines I won't cross. Like blowing up Megaton, I'm never going to do that.

chris73

• Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #36 on: 09 Nov 2020, 12:00 »

Gee Renee if you had bad experiences with internet hook ups and one night stands then maybe try not having internet hook ups and one night stands

Seriously though what exactly was she thinking would happen with these guys?

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #37 on: 09 Nov 2020, 12:38 »

She was thinking they'd be decent human beings--and from what we know, it seems like many were (Shaun/Florida Birthmark)--because there's no reason for her to expect that someone she's never met is guaranteed to be an asshole.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

chris73

• Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #38 on: 09 Nov 2020, 14:19 »

She was thinking they'd be decent human beings--and from what we know, it seems like many were (Shaun/Florida Birthmark)--because there's no reason for her to expect that someone she's never met is guaranteed to be an asshole.

I've got nothing against hook ups and one night stands (and I was always appreciative because I'd always want more) but when you hook up with a guy that is specifically after sex then don't be surprised or disappointed when that same guy hits on your roommate because they want more sex

Yeah it'd be nice if they weren't like that but you're kidding yourself if you expect your tinder hook up is always going to be a good guy

No citation but I'm guessing that the percentage of douche bag guys on Tinder is greater than the percentage not Tinder

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #39 on: 09 Nov 2020, 14:34 »

Those are some broad-ass strokes, Chris.

Removing that the internet has been a part of how loads of people socialise for decades now so that kind of assessment is getting increasingly passé, am I correct in understanding that what you are saying is that people who hook up with people they meet on the internet, or have one night stands, should expect - or perhaps are asking for - mistreatment from the person they have met?

Is any guy who is only interested in sex on a one-off occasion a douche by default? This is an impossible thing to achieve without such?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

chris73

• Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #40 on: 09 Nov 2020, 14:54 »

Those are some broad-ass strokes, Chris.

Removing that the internet has been a part of how loads of people socialise for decades now so that kind of assessment is getting increasingly passé, am I correct in understanding that what you are saying is that people who hook up with people they meet on the internet, or have one night stands, should expect - or perhaps are asking for - mistreatment from the person they have met?

Is any guy who is only interested in sex on a one-off occasion a douche by default? This is an impossible thing to achieve without such?

Its something like 50 million people (and probably higher)  using Tinder so of course its going to be broad.

I'm saying "I'm guessing that the percentage of douche bag guys on Tinder is greater than the percentage not on Tinder" so not all guys are douches but a higher percentage of douches use Tinder

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #41 on: 09 Nov 2020, 15:09 »

Meh.

I see no reason why men on Tinder would be worse than men anywhere else.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #42 on: 09 Nov 2020, 15:13 »

Honestly, I’ve met more douches in bars/ at sci if conventions than on Tinder. Something about assuming they’re socially superior or morally better than netizens, no doubt.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #43 on: 09 Nov 2020, 15:20 »

I've been the douches in bars at nerdy shit.

Douches are douches wherever you find them, the internet is just faster and cheaper.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #44 on: 09 Nov 2020, 18:48 »

This is a really good moment of characterization for Renee and Dan.

For Renee:
Unlike Faye, when you listen to the content of her more acerbic comments, they reflect really fucked up experiences. Like, yeah, this is combative, but it’s also very revealing of some deep wounds she’s probably had to hide from Brun. It makes that scene earlier where the Brun/underwear situation very clearly part of a pattern, and one where she’s had to be the “mom friend” by both protecting Brun from sketchy ppl and deliberately not been angry at Brun for not getting that pants might be appreciated when hook ups are over. It’s also an interesting revisit of that strip where Dora was angry about Faye getting comforted by Marten while in her underwear, which is a nice way of differentiating Renee from Faye.

For Dan:
He’s mentally healthy enough that someone revealing something personal and revelatory of some ugly experiences results in him saying “what the fuck?” And sympathizing, instead of snarking back. He might be a genuinely nice person.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #45 on: 09 Nov 2020, 19:09 »

Hey now, it's not every day you get to see a harpoon that used to be a shotgun!
oh god

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #46 on: 09 Nov 2020, 19:16 »

New comic!

"Can I see your harpoon? In a non-sexual way."

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #47 on: 09 Nov 2020, 19:20 »

Hmm, despite what she said after her mental evaluation of them in bed, is Brun put off that Elliot never made his feelings for her known?
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #48 on: 09 Nov 2020, 20:53 »

I've got nothing against hook ups and one night stands (and I was always appreciative because I'd always want more) but when you hook up with a guy that is specifically after sex then don't be surprised or disappointed when that same guy hits on your roommate because they want more sex

Yeah it'd be nice if they weren't like that but you're kidding yourself if you expect your tinder hook up is always going to be a good guy

No citation but I'm guessing that the percentage of douche bag guys on Tinder is greater than the percentage not Tinder

Unless you're a master philosopher, surprise and disappointment are in order when someone pulls a dick move. The only way not to be surprised is to expect jerkitude or to have no expectations. The only way not to be disappointed is not to hold other people to any standards.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #49 on: 09 Nov 2020, 20:58 »

I like how Brun defers to Renee when it comes to 'peaceful introduction to her harpoon' (which sounds like a double entendre, now that I write it down).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up