THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If you were to get a cameo in QC, which of the following would you choose?

human
AnthroPC
low fidelity anthromimetic AI (screenface, dome ears, noseless, etc)
high fidelity anthromimetic AI
appliance AI (Toastbot et al)
animal-esque AI (big spider,flying squid/jellyifish)
other
Clinton drink more water

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 4391-4395 (Nov 9th -13th, 2020)  (Read 26705 times)

jesslc

• Furry furrier
Re: WCDT 4391-4395 (Nov 9th -13th, 2020)
« Reply #50 on: 09 Nov 2020, 21:04 »

Hmm, despite what she said after her mental evaluation of them in bed, is Brun put off that Elliot never made his feelings for her known?
I think Brun's a bit grumpy because she had to deal with two men telling her about their (unreciprocated) attraction to her while she was at work.

In my experience as a woman, having to have a conversation with a guy about his unreciprocated attraction for you is typically an uncomfortable experience. Not always - occasionally it's totally fine - but more often than not, it's been pretty uncomfortable. And it's one of the last things I would want to have to deal with in a work environment.

Also, while both such conversations both went fairly well (in my opinion - and that's not the same as totally fine) and both Clinton and Elliot assured her that they would both continue to be friends, if I were in Brun's position I would still be wondering "so are things going to be uncomfortable between me and Clinton/Elliot in future?". In my experience, guys frequently say that it's fine (that I just want to be friends) but then their future behaviour shows that it isn't fine. Brun made a few comments earlier that sounds like she's had similar unpleasant experiences so I feel pretty sure that this is what's weighing on her. And doubly so since she had to deal with it twice in one evening.

awkwardness

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #51 on: 09 Nov 2020, 21:21 »

..l really want to see Brun use her harpoon now, even if it's only to scare the crap out of someone.

Then again, I don't want any of the cast to be hurt- so it's a Catch-22

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #52 on: 09 Nov 2020, 21:34 »

Hmm, despite what she said after her mental evaluation of them in bed, is Brun put off that Elliot never made his feelings for her known?
I think Brun's a bit grumpy because she had to deal with two men telling her about their (unreciprocated) attraction to her while she was at work.

I think this is the most obvious explanation but the next comic might reveal that something unrelated and much worse happened or perhaps another person hit on her after Elliot and it was much worse.... and so on. 

Or maybe (unlikely given her character's previous blunt honestly but it would add some dynamic that I think would be interesting) she lied about being attracted to no one and is in fact attracted to Elliot (or less likely Clinton). I think Elliot is more likely b/c she could very well think telling Clinton she likes someone else after Clinton expressed interest is a social faux pas from past experience or Renee told her not to do that or b/c Renee likes him and may have told her or the whole never date your coworkers thing.

Christophelous

• Plantmonster
  • Burninate
« Reply #53 on: 09 Nov 2020, 21:55 »

Or maybe (unlikely given her character's previous blunt honestly but it would add some dynamic that I think would be interesting) she lied about being attracted to no one...

Can't see Brun lying, especially not to people she trusts. Plus, a lot of her reactions were knee jerk. She's probably just generally tired because dealing with emotional stuff is hard for her.

Also, call back to two previous conversations in here, look who appears shortly after Renee kicks out the creepy hookup dude!
https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3943
When it comes to evaluating phallus quality, I will defer to your greater experience.  -Bubbles, comic 3502

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #54 on: 09 Nov 2020, 22:25 »

Or maybe (unlikely given her character's previous blunt honestly but it would add some dynamic that I think would be interesting) she lied about being attracted to no one...

Can't see Brun lying, especially not to people she trusts. Plus, a lot of her reactions were knee jerk. She's probably just generally tired because dealing with emotional stuff is hard for her.

Also, call back to two previous conversations in here, look who appears shortly after Renee kicks out the creepy hookup dude!
https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3943

Yeah I don't think it's the most likely situation but I'd argue it's still in character if she is following one of the thought processes I mentioned.

It could even have been shitty for her if she knows/recalls enough about the Elliot-Renee situation (also might explain where she got the let's imagine sex as a bench mark for attraction since it's a less invasive version of "take your shirt off so I can oogle you to see what it's about"). She may or may not relate to Renee being hurt by her crush liking her friend but it's probably been explained to her (by Renee no less, perhaps in context of Elliot or racist internet hook-up) that someone you like liking/hitting on your friend is hurtful and from there she can put two and two together (perhaps later in the evening).

While I think a lot of women (myself included) loath being hit on in a work situation, I'd imagine Brun would be more upset by the complicated social dynamic (with or without the Renee factor) and would take a "meh, used to much worse at the last job. no harpoon was needed" to this particular set of events. 

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #55 on: 09 Nov 2020, 22:32 »

..l really want to see Brun use her harpoon now, even if it's only to scare the crap out of someone.

May I suggest Beatrice Chatham?

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #56 on: 09 Nov 2020, 23:42 »

"I like the bar's current owner."
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #57 on: 10 Nov 2020, 00:07 »

I think that this whole thing with Elliot and Clinton has hit Brun a lot harder than she's let on to either man, probably afraid that it will impact on their friendships. However, Renee can tell that she's upset and it's lovely that Brun is obviously biting her tongue not to ruin Renee's night.

Also, it is clear that Dan is into esoteric melee weapons. I wonder what will happen if he meets Dale? Possibly madness and cosplay.

BRUN: "How could Dan see my harpoon in a 'not hitting on you way'?"

RENEE: "I'm not sure, honey. What's more I'm not sure that I want to know!"

I suspect that it's more a frustration that she'd never picked up on either man's attraction to her. That said, yes, in Brun's world, you say what you're thinking if only for politeness and clarity's sakes.
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2020, 00:15 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #58 on: 10 Nov 2020, 00:09 »

"I like the bar's current owner."

Or even: "I like the bar."
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Reaver

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #59 on: 10 Nov 2020, 00:47 »

I mean I feel for Brun over the Clinton interaction but I realllly cant for the Elliot... She promted that conversation and asked him things
Bravery is looking down the dark hall, knowing that you are utterly terrified of the dark, and charging in anyways.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #60 on: 10 Nov 2020, 01:35 »

No-one's pointing out that Renee is accusing Brun of being "grumpy" for being exactly as suspicious as Renee herself was a mere comic ago? No-one?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Reaver

« Reply #61 on: 10 Nov 2020, 02:05 »

No-one's pointing out that Renee is accusing Brun of being "grumpy" for being exactly as suspicious as Renee herself was a mere comic ago? No-one?

Now that you mention it..
Bravery is looking down the dark hall, knowing that you are utterly terrified of the dark, and charging in anyways.

Gyrre

« Reply #62 on: 10 Nov 2020, 02:43 »

I always characterize Renegade runs in ME as very-selfish chaotic neutral. To a casual observer, most of asshole-Shepard's actions will appear evil. But inflicting harm or suffering usually isn't the purpose, it's just the quickest way to get what asshole-Shepard wants.

I agree with this, but it's a bit sabotaged by poor writing. Asshole Shepard is frequently an asshole for no reason. Sometimes he's an asshole when being an asshole works against his own best interests. He can't manage greasy, dishonest politeness even when that's what will do the job, because the writer can't imagine anything more sophisticated than being an obvious asshole.

I don't do Renegade playthroughs in most games. I did dip my toe in it in Fallout 3 and Fallout 4, in that I completed some of the evil quests in order to experience the content, but there are some lines I won't cross. Like blowing up Megaton, I'm never going to do that.

That last bit is why I'm always hesitant to play evil aligned characters in TTRPGs. I know myself well enough to know I choose to 'be soft'. Mind you, I'm less heinous acts evil and more 'the shot that killed JFK came from a storm drain and the other two were distractions because that's what I'd have done' kind of evil.
[No, I didn't kill JFK I'm 23 years too young to have done that.]

EDIT: BTW,
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2020, 02:55 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #63 on: 10 Nov 2020, 03:42 »

I mean I feel for Brun over the Clinton interaction but I realllly cant for the Elliot... She promted that conversation and asked him things

Ehhh even if I prompted a necessary emotional conversation doesn’t mean I enjoyed it or it wasn’t tiring. It just means having it now will stave off drama later. *stares in middle school teacher*

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #64 on: 10 Nov 2020, 05:52 »

Gyrre, sweetie, baby, honey, darling please.. Kennedy shot first.
Unless you're a master philosopher, surprise and disappointment are in order when someone pulls a dick move. The only way not to be surprised is to expect jerkitude or to have no expectations. The only way not to be disappointed is not to hold other people to any standards.
I'm honoured and humbled by your accolade, but I disagree. There are many possibilities, from the best to the worst; knowing the worst could happen, I prepare, involving demands of restitution from who caused worse outcomes than were agreed, removing them from my life---except where prohibited---vel similia. One need not therefor be a master philosopher---radical pragmatism suffices. Oh, while were about philosophy:
Sometimes he's an asshole when being an asshole works against his own best interests.
Radical Freedom!
Such actions could curtail the possibility of exploring the Chathams' relationship. Furthermore, Beatrice has, likely, a net positive effect on the world---I doubt even temporary incapacitation could do more than placate some her detractors. Nonetheless, it might serve to move Hannelore towards initiating rapprochement. [unfounded allegations of Beatrice's thereto complicity redacted, sponsored by Chatham Industries and readers like you!]
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2020, 13:36 by N.N. Marf »
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

Reaver

« Reply #65 on: 10 Nov 2020, 07:23 »

Also IDK, it kinda feels like both Brun and  Renee are being a bit...idk overly hostile to The  Man formerly known as Shitty Dan? Man's been nothing but nice, and Renee still  asks him things like "You ashamed we hooked up?"  x.x

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #66 on: 10 Nov 2020, 07:28 »

It's the result of bad experiences, I think.

It's been implied that Renee's had enough trouble with her past hook-ups that she's automatically waiting for the betrayal and heartbreak even though there is no rational reason to expect it. Brun is just being defensive on Renee's behalf. She obviously knows how badly things have gone in the past and is being protective of her best friend.
~~~~

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #67 on: 10 Nov 2020, 07:38 »

What Brün has is the head of a harpoon. So, Dan is not getting the shaft.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #68 on: 10 Nov 2020, 08:10 »

What Brün has is the head of a harpoon. So, Dan is not getting the shaft.

Limbo class is going fine, I see?
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #69 on: 10 Nov 2020, 12:43 »

I was leaning towards picking anthroPC, but I went with human, because I have an awesome mustache, and it would just look ridiculous on an anthroPC.  I am glad Brun had those conversations, it helps clear the air plotwise, even if it does sink some ships, and hopefully leads to a better relationship between Elliot and Clinton.  At least there is one less person for Elliot to obsess over.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #70 on: 10 Nov 2020, 12:58 »

Goddamn it, Clinton, you stupid twink. What the fuck were you thinking about?

Hello, new person!

Not quite the way we like to do things here.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #71 on: 10 Nov 2020, 16:30 »

I agree with this, but it's a bit sabotaged by poor writing. Asshole Shepard is frequently an asshole for no reason. Sometimes he's an asshole when being an asshole works against his own best interests. He can't manage greasy, dishonest politeness even when that's what will do the job, because the writer can't imagine anything more sophisticated than being an obvious asshole.

I don't do Renegade playthroughs in most games. I did dip my toe in it in Fallout 3 and Fallout 4, in that I completed some of the evil quests in order to experience the content, but there are some lines I won't cross. Like blowing up Megaton, I'm never going to do that.
I can't somehow bring myself to play "dark side" runs either, and certainly the very poor writing is part of it, especially in the early stages where your character is supposed to behave like no more than a petty jerk over trivial issues.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #72 on: 10 Nov 2020, 16:32 »

I almost never do an evil playthrough, but I tried one in Fallout 4 and found that the game basically wouldn't let me progress the storyline without  sing nice?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #73 on: 10 Nov 2020, 17:02 »

Welcome to today's Tropes Trap.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #74 on: 10 Nov 2020, 18:21 »

Comic's up.

Oh Brun. Human emotions are messy and weird.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #75 on: 10 Nov 2020, 18:33 »

Yup.

Go to bed, Brun. It'll be ... less bad in the morning.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
WCDT 4391-4395 (Nov 9th -13th, 2020)
« Reply #76 on: 10 Nov 2020, 18:44 »

Yeah, I also have days where emotions are impossible to understand. Then a few days later everything makes more sense. Which itself doesn’t make sense. You’d think that the way my brain works, or fails to work, would be a constant, but no, it’s governed by variables that I don’t understand. The operation of an autistic mind is a mystery even to itself.

I think what I was trying to say before my train of thought derailed is that Brun may feel less overwhelmed by this mess in the morning. Or she may need a few days. But she shouldn’t feel bad about failing to understand the feelings of other people when those people clearly do not understand their feelings themselves.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #77 on: 10 Nov 2020, 19:58 »

Aw, poor dear. I hope Renee brings her something yummy from the bakery to help with the processing. Everything looks better after sleep, a shower, and a muffin.

I have to admit, I’m suspicious of Dan. He seems really nice... maybe TOO nice.  :psyduck:

Gyrre

« Reply #78 on: 10 Nov 2020, 20:46 »

Apparently I was tired enough this AM that I hallucinated complementing Renee's new hairstyle. Looks good on her.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gyrre

« Reply #79 on: 10 Nov 2020, 20:50 »

I was leaning towards picking anthroPC, but I went with human, because I have an awesome mustache, and it would just look ridiculous on an anthroPC.  I am glad Brun had those conversations, it helps clear the air plotwise, even if it does sink some ships, and hopefully leads to a better relationship between Elliot and Clinton.  At least there is one less person for Elliot to obsess over.

I'm honestly kind of surpised nobody's picked low fidelity anthromimetic AI. Beeps and Millie have screen faces, and some of them have those oblong dome ears. Lots of potential customization.

I presume one could still install human 'bits' as it were while retaining the high degree of customization.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Christophelous

• Plantmonster
  • Burninate
« Reply #80 on: 10 Nov 2020, 22:10 »

Apparently I was tired enough this AM that I hallucinated complementing Renee's new hairstyle. Looks good on her.

Pretty sure that's sex hair.  Absolutely agree with you, too, looks great.

I have to admit, I’m suspicious of Dan. He seems really nice... maybe TOO nice.  :psyduck:

I like him. He's straightforward, communicative, and knows what he likes. Reflects really well on his college transformative years. It's a nice change of pace from the normal communication problems some QC characters tend to suffer from.
When it comes to evaluating phallus quality, I will defer to your greater experience.  -Bubbles, comic 3502

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #81 on: 10 Nov 2020, 23:32 »

There is something about this strip that makes me think that Dan and Renee is going to be a long-term thing. It's panel's 5 and 6 as Dan draw's Renee into a hug. She doesn't resist. Instead she smiles and settles in against him. Her smile when he says that he wants to spend more time with her (which is obviously what she wants to hear). "I could shuffle my schedule to spend more time with you this week" isn't quite "So, I'm thinking of dropping everything and moving out here to be with you" but it has the same implications and I think that Renee's heart has been healed a little by hearing it.

Yes, it seems that Renee and Dan have connected. It will be interesting to see how Jeph plans to handle the 'lives and works elsewhere' bit. Will he hand-wave it away with a plot-convenient contrivance or will he actually write Renee's reaction to a long-distance relationship and deciding whether she wants to move before the plot-convenient contrivance happens?

Meanwhile, I think that today proves that, after thinking about it, Brun realises just how badly shooting down Clinton and Elliot has hurt them both and clearly feels a degree of personal failure because of that. However, in the end, how was she supposed to know about their feelings if they both were trying to get her to try to be telepathic? Saying 'no' to a good friend hurts just as much as having someone say 'no' to you, or so she's learned.
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2020, 23:48 by BenRG »
~~~~

Gyrre

« Reply #82 on: 10 Nov 2020, 23:34 »

Pretty sure that's sex hair.  Absolutely agree with you, too, looks great.

I like him. He's straightforward, communicative, and knows what he likes. Reflects really well on his college transformative years. It's a nice change of pace from the normal communication problems some QC characters tend to suffer from.
It may be a bit difficult for Renee to adjust to after whatever she's been through, but it'd be good for her. She deserves to have some good luck in the romance  department after such a string of bad luck.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Potato Farmer

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #83 on: 11 Nov 2020, 00:58 »

The operation of an autistic mind is a mystery even to itself.

I don't think that's a feature unique to the autistic mind.

Funny enough if I were Brun I don't think I would blame Clinton. Clinton's mistakes boil down to violating social norms which Brun doesn't seem to know or care about. In fact I'd give him brownie points for actually asking the important question and trying to be open about it (emphasis on 'trying').

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #84 on: 11 Nov 2020, 03:56 »

I think that we are at last seeing the new Main Cast that Jeph is trying to assemble to replace the ones with whom the strip started. All in my opinion but I see it like this:
  • The Brun-Renee-Dan couch group we saw today is going to be the replacement for the old Faye-Marten-Dora/Claire group that we've had previously;
  • Millfeulle is obviously the weird, quirky but lovable neighbour to replace Hannelore;
  • Elliot, Melon and Yay are replacing Dale, Marigold, Momo and May;
  • Roko, Beepatrice and the rest of the Advocacy Group are the replacement for the Coffee of Doom social circle.
We'll still see the original cast but only where it connects with this new group's adventures and travails. Possibly we may even have May moving out of Dale's house and becoming the troll-with-a-heart in Renee and Brun's apartment to replace Pintsize.
~~~~

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #85 on: 11 Nov 2020, 04:25 »

IIRC I answered animal-esque in the poll, and after thinking about it a bit more, I think I want to be a tiger, though with enough mods to be able to shift between walking on 4 legs (aka real tiger mode) and standing on hind legs and using front paws to manipulate things (aka human-like mode, think pink panther). Retractable parts where suitable: claws, sharp teeth, male unit for human compatible friendship.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #86 on: 11 Nov 2020, 07:31 »

Calling it now:  Renée leaves Northampton to be with Dan. So Brün needs to find a new roommate.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

cybersmurf

« Reply #87 on: 11 Nov 2020, 07:48 »

There is something about this strip that makes me think that Dan and Renee is going to be a long-term thing. It's panel's 5 and 6 as Dan draw's Renee into a hug. She doesn't resist. Instead she smiles and settles in against him. Her smile when he says that he wants to spend more time with her (which is obviously what she wants to hear). "I could shuffle my schedule to spend more time with you this week" isn't quite "So, I'm thinking of dropping everything and moving out here to be with you" but it has the same implications and I think that Renee's heart has been healed a little by hearing it.

Yes, it seems that Renee and Dan have connected. It will be interesting to see how Jeph plans to handle the 'lives and works elsewhere' bit. Will he hand-wave it away with a plot-convenient contrivance or will he actually write Renee's reaction to a long-distance relationship and deciding whether she wants to move before the plot-convenient contrivance happens?

Meanwhile, I think that today proves that, after thinking about it, Brun realises just how badly shooting down Clinton and Elliot has hurt them both and clearly feels a degree of personal failure because of that. However, in the end, how was she supposed to know about their feelings if they both were trying to get her to try to be telepathic? Saying 'no' to a good friend hurts just as much as having someone say 'no' to you, or so she's learned.

I think Renée likes Dan well enough to explore a possible relationship, and that comes with some relief. Firstly, it's just not another hookup to satisfy certain needs. Secondly, they know each other from school, so getting to know each other has turned into catching up. Which leads to thirdly: Renée probably is much more relaxed now, because Dan knows her, no need to pretend anything.

Clinton asked Brun how she felt about him. If her answer hurt him, it's entirely on him. If it destroys their friendship (which is yet to see), not asking that question wouldn't have changed much, I fear. Brun and Elliot is an entirely different story, because it was forced by a third party. Elliot would always have preferred their friendship. Mostly, Brun needs a bit of time to process all of this, both rationally and emotionally, but I think, in the end, it will work out.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #88 on: 11 Nov 2020, 07:52 »

I put "other" (what a shock
I would want to be human - but a weird Northampton human, like ... Dolphin Jack ...

Nobody calls him that, DaiJB.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #89 on: 11 Nov 2020, 08:16 »

The more Dan shows up, the more I like him! He seems like a good guy.

Also, Brun seems like she would be a pretty good roommate. Sometimes someone who's quiet and keeps to themself is all you want in a housemate.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

jesslc

• Furry furrier
« Reply #90 on: 11 Nov 2020, 09:26 »

I really relate to Brun here. Understanding social interactions didn't come naturally to me and I've tried/worked very hard on learning how these things work. After years of practicing, I do pretty well most of the time. But I definitely relate to the frustration of "I try so hard and then [insert something here] - what is the point..." with regards to understanding this stuff.

I'm glad Brun has Renee to be there for her. Renee may have her faults, but she's clearly a great friend to Brun.

chris73

• Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #91 on: 11 Nov 2020, 15:54 »

Also IDK, it kinda feels like both Brun and  Renee are being a bit...idk overly hostile to The  Man formerly known as Shitty Dan? Man's been nothing but nice, and Renee still  asks him things like "You ashamed we hooked up?"  x.x

I'm getting Faye/Marten 2 vibes here. Renee has multiple issues that she'll need to work through so she'll probably be combative, snarky, unpleasant etc towards Dan and Dan'll suck it up and accept it because Dans a 'good guy' and Renees a 'good person deep down'

Hopefully I'm wrong and Renee and Dan will go in a different direction

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #92 on: 11 Nov 2020, 16:48 »

The more Dan shows up, the more I like him! He seems like a good guy.

Also, Brun seems like she would be a pretty good roommate. Sometimes someone who's quiet and keeps to themself is all you want in a housemate.
And she cooks dinner!

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #93 on: 11 Nov 2020, 17:52 »

I'm getting Faye/Marten 2 vibes here. Renee has multiple issues that she'll need to work through so she'll probably be combative, snarky, unpleasant etc towards Dan and Dan'll suck it up and accept it because Dans a 'good guy' and Renees a 'good person deep down'

Hopefully I'm wrong and Renee and Dan will go in a different direction
That honestly describes Marten/Dora as well, and while they did break up, they lasted for over 1200 strips (longer than Faye/Angus) and remain good friends. Part of that situation is that Marten helped both Dora and Faye get through their respective issues, and all three are better and stronger because of it. Maybe you're right, but I don't know that it would necessarily be a bad thing.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Wombat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #94 on: 11 Nov 2020, 18:16 »

Bubbles is a blessing.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #95 on: 11 Nov 2020, 18:34 »

Careful, they may decide they want to interview Bubbles.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #96 on: 11 Nov 2020, 18:34 »

In case the library needs a bodyguard?

chris73

• Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #97 on: 11 Nov 2020, 18:36 »

That honestly describes Marten/Dora as well, and while they did break up, they lasted for over 1200 strips (longer than Faye/Angus) and remain good friends. Part of that situation is that Marten helped both Dora and Faye get through their respective issues, and all three are better and stronger because of it. Maybe you're right, but I don't know that it would necessarily be a bad thing.

On paper its fine but in real life I'm not so sure.
How many years did it take Marten help them both through their issues* and how much mental, physical and emotional abuse did he suffer for it

I'm still a tad surprised that Marten isn't suffering any lingering PTSD from his dealings with both. There were times going back through the pages where I genuinely thought the author hated Marten and wanted him to suffer

What really struck home hard for me was this episode: https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1818 Yes Marten was out of line, yes he shouldn't have said what he said but Faye punching him, like she couldn't control herself just once, she knows what she did to him, shes knows what its like to be drunk so she could have sent him off to his room to sleep it off but no she decks him

So basically if this is a soft reboot of Faye/Marten I hope the author doesn't go to the places he went in the past, keep it fresh is what I'm saying

*I've always liked Dora because she was strong enough to recognize her issues and she knew staying with Marten would have been the easy road but she took the harder, but necessary, path to healing

*Also panel three Faye looks so much like my sister in laws wife its uncanny
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2020, 18:41 by chris73 »

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #98 on: 11 Nov 2020, 18:39 »

I feel another sonnet coming on...
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #99 on: 11 Nov 2020, 18:41 »

In case the library needs a bodyguard?
Bubbles: Tactical Librarian
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up