THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If you were to get a cameo in QC, which of the following would you choose?

human
AnthroPC
low fidelity anthromimetic AI (screenface, dome ears, noseless, etc)
high fidelity anthromimetic AI
appliance AI (Toastbot et al)
animal-esque AI (big spider,flying squid/jellyifish)
other
Clinton drink more water

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 4391-4395 (Nov 9th -13th, 2020)  (Read 26718 times)

Meander

• Emoticontraindication
Re: WCDT 4391-4395 (Nov 9th -13th, 2020)
« Reply #150 on: 13 Nov 2020, 02:46 »

Scene: Insurgent group is overlooking the remains of the latest soldier she has taken down.

Leader: I thought you said she was just a librarian, this looks like special forces wet work!

Flunky 1: I asked her what she did here, she said she was just a librarian, a lowly, lowly librarian.

Leader: A librarian doesn't do THAT to a man. Find out more, find out what she used to do...

I love this scene.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #151 on: 13 Nov 2020, 05:01 »

If May makes minimum wage, isn’t it illegal to require her to pay for her uniform?

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #152 on: 13 Nov 2020, 06:40 »

You’re assuming such laws are ever actually enforced.

May would need to take her boss to court to recover the money. The filing fee is probably more than the cost of the uniform. Also her boss would fire her immediately.

And please, don’t come at me with how all of that is or should be illegal. I happen to agree. I am simply stating how the world actually works. Employee protection laws in the US aren’t worth a bucket of warm spit unless you can afford really good lawyers.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #153 on: 13 Nov 2020, 07:45 »

And typically, it has to be a big enough suit that you'll never have to work again, 'cos you can bet that future employers will google you.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #154 on: 13 Nov 2020, 08:21 »

Rather than "The sky's the limit," how about "The world's your oyster soup kitchen floor wax museum"?
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

cybersmurf

« Reply #155 on: 13 Nov 2020, 08:25 »

Is it my wishful thinking or is May less abrasive? I mean, she's still cranky as hell, but something mellowed out. I think.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #156 on: 13 Nov 2020, 09:18 »

Might be that the diodes in her left hand side finally got fixed.
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2020, 10:44 by Cornelius »
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #157 on: 13 Nov 2020, 09:32 »

Scene: Insurgent group is overlooking the remains of the latest soldier she has taken down.

Leader: I thought you said she was just a librarian, this looks like special forces wet work!

Flunky 1: I asked her what she did here, she said she was just a librarian, a lowly, lowly librarian.

Leader: A librarian doesn't do THAT to a man. Find out more, find out what she used to do...

Ook.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #158 on: 13 Nov 2020, 09:40 »

So May can't be a fighter jet, but surely there are aircraft companies that need AIs to simulate and calculate weather and flight patterns. If--and that's a big if--they're willing to hire her, that's a decent second.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #159 on: 13 Nov 2020, 10:11 »

May would need to take her boss to court to recover the money. The filing fee is probably more than the cost of the uniform. Also her boss would fire her immediately.

And please, don’t come at me with how all of that is or should be illegal. I happen to agree. I am simply stating how the world actually works. Employee protection laws in the US aren’t worth a bucket of warm spit unless you can afford really good lawyers.

I was more thinking about if they even applied to AI. Do workers rights extend to them? Are they covered by OSHA?

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #160 on: 13 Nov 2020, 10:24 »

Pictures Marigold in shirt. Pictures May in shirt, brooming pesky teens.

... a shirt I will never be able to wear---
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #161 on: 13 Nov 2020, 11:32 »

So May can't be a fighter jet, but surely there are aircraft companies that need AIs to simulate and calculate weather and flight patterns. If--and that's a big if--they're willing to hire her, that's a decent second.
Wouldn’t that be cruel though? To spend her life calculating how other people can fly but never doing it for herself?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

awkwardness

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #162 on: 13 Nov 2020, 12:01 »

If May makes minimum wage, isn’t it illegal to require her to pay for her uniform?

It varies by location but according to Federal law it's not illegal if the costs of providing and maintaining the uniform doesn't make the deductions fall below minimum wage. But being Massachusetts, she CAN be charged but has to be reimbursed- something that the state has gone to court over before and won.

That being said, REPLACEMENTS for the one that was already paid for aren't covered by the restriction- she'd have to claim it on her taxes to get the money back.

awkwardness

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #163 on: 13 Nov 2020, 12:04 »

As someone who was stuck on a grand jury hearing cases like this, it's taken seriously by states. The real issue is whether or not the manager is aware of the law and if s/he gives a damn about it. May wouldn't be the one on the line, she could sue and win huge- the manager is the one in the hot seat and getting blackballed by both the state and potential employers since May wouldn't actually be named in a lawsuit against the chain as they'd pool the lawsuits together and force restitution as a group to prevent retaliation.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #164 on: 13 Nov 2020, 12:32 »

I like that!

Wouldn’t that be cruel though? To spend her life calculating how other people can fly but never doing it for herself?

That would be for May to decide whether or not she wants to do that. It would at least get her closer to the action, and it would pay more than her current job.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #165 on: 13 Nov 2020, 22:46 »

Keyword: "simulate." I'm imagining something like a VR interface that allows her to test-fly airplanes in high-tech flight simulations in different conditions. Maybe she can access cameras on weather balloons as well.

Actually, what's stopping her from just being a pilot?
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #166 on: 14 Nov 2020, 00:56 »

Right now? Probably her criminal record.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #167 on: 14 Nov 2020, 05:31 »

Addendum: I would wear the heck out of that shirt.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #168 on: 14 Nov 2020, 05:49 »

Also: poor impulse control. Just because a jetliner can do a barrel roll doesn’t mean that it should.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Gyrre

« Reply #169 on: 14 Nov 2020, 08:08 »

I was more thinking about if they even applied to AI. Do workers rights extend to them? Are they covered by OSHA?

OSHA  bylaws don't specify human or non-human, so one would hope so.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gyrre

« Reply #170 on: 14 Nov 2020, 08:12 »

Also: poor impulse control. Just because a jetliner can do a barrel roll doesn’t mean that it should.
.......I suddenly want there to be another Airplane! movie just so they can do that as a scene.
a real-ass gaddam sword

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #171 on: 14 Nov 2020, 08:38 »

.......I suddenly want there to be another Airplane! movie just so they can do that as a scene.
Surely you can't be serious! I watched superficial comedy flix in university, but Questionable Content has subtle characterization! It's an entirely different kind of watching.. altogether!
Quote from: all together
It's an entirely different kind of watching.
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #172 on: 14 Nov 2020, 19:34 »

Funny you should mention that.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/60-years-ago-the-famous-boeing-707-barrel-roll-over-lake-washington/
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tyr

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #173 on: 14 Nov 2020, 19:49 »

You are correct: It has been mentioned in passing that one of the ways that Pintsize makes money is renting out his spare processor cycles. May isn't allowed to do that because she's a felon, now.
Just going through life.

Reaver

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #174 on: 15 Nov 2020, 21:06 »

I mean you coulda shown a little grattitude to the people that helped you, but sure go off on Sven for not wanting ti be lewd in front of Momo I guess.
Bravery is looking down the dark hall, knowing that you are utterly terrified of the dark, and charging in anyways.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #175 on: 15 Nov 2020, 23:29 »

I mean you coulda shown a little grattitude to the people that helped you, but sure go off on Sven for not wanting ti be lewd in front of Momo I guess.
You mean the one guy that specifically asked that she not find out he contributed to the fund? That guy?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Reaver

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #176 on: 15 Nov 2020, 23:36 »

You mean the one guy that specifically asked that she not find out he contributed to the fund? That guy?

I mean she has done nothing but be her usual rude to the people that helped her out, but went off on Sven for not appreciating her new body fast enough for her liking.

She doesnt have to thank Sven but its usual May shittiness to be snappy when people treat her the same way/milder that she treats them.
Bravery is looking down the dark hall, knowing that you are utterly terrified of the dark, and charging in anyways.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #177 on: 16 Nov 2020, 02:26 »

How's that dead horse treating you, Reaver?
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #178 on: 16 Nov 2020, 03:20 »

Anything that can do a barrel roll absolutely has to at least once.

P.S.: Still a bit miffed about PPL-C pilot training: A barrel roll counts as areobatics, and you're forbidden from trying unless you have an areobatics licence. However, regular PPL-C training involves stalling manouvers that I'd consider both more demanding on the airframe & pilot, as well as more dangerous. We were encouraged to try to practice 'edging to a stall' without an instructor once we passed the solo-flying certificate. I tried. Now I know why training planes are built to be 'forgiving' (they'll automatically exit a stall & spin after two turns max even without pilot input) - second time I tried a straight stall flying solo, the plane fell 400 meters in a couple seconds, with me completely frozen in shock and unable to perform the control-inputs to exit a stall that I'd been taught. Really primal 'brains-off' terror - my only reaction was to cling onto one of the struts in the cockpit of the plane that was falling with me. (The plane 'nosed down' and entered a regular dive on its own - that's also correct recovery from stall: 'Stick forward'. 'Stick forward + rudder adjacent' if it's a 'stall and spin')
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2020, 03:41 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #179 on: 16 Nov 2020, 07:21 »

New week. Wrong thread.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Gyrre

« Reply #180 on: 17 Nov 2020, 02:21 »

Looks like 'human' wins this poll by a landslide.

I'm pretty chuffed with the poll turnout for this one, even if my alternate choice came in dead last with 0 votes.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up