THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What'll the big 4400 twist/reveal be?

Brun and Pintsize go on a date and things go much further than either anticipated.
Brun and Millifeuille go on a date and things go much further than either anticipated.
Roko, Clinton, and Elliot hang out for a night and none of them are quite certain why they're all naked and in the same bed the next morning.
Hanners goes on a date with Gordon and they both have a wonderful time.
Winslow and Beeps have been friends for awhile now.
Sven 'pops the question' to May.
Dale 'pops the question' to Marigold.
Bubbles or Faye 'pops the question'.
Turns out that Steve, Cossette, and Melon are breakfast buddies and have been for some time.
the whole ensemble cast eat cereal at Dora and Thai's wedding reception.
other
Clinton drink more water

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 4396-4400 (Nov 16th to Nov 20th, 2020)  (Read 23212 times)

TorporChambre

• Emoticontraindication
  • Hannelore Enthusiast
Re: WCDT 4396-4400 (Nov 16th to Nov 20th, 2020)
« Reply #50 on: 17 Nov 2020, 16:42 »

I can attest: using `internet' (rather: forums) as an extended role-play; a game, perhaps, of tip-toeing about truth towards enhanced exchange. A literary exercise, if you will. My whippets and cream. Sometimes failing, unto maintenance of impeccabilities vapids, considered goalsome pursuits. As'd amount, artifices typographics thereof are mere tools---may emphase, or diffuse.
``Remember about advanced texnics and noise?
We've hit fiction from science indistinct''
~Carl-E, QC forums

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #51 on: 17 Nov 2020, 18:10 »

New comic.

And THAT, May, is why you never ask about that sort of thing. Sven could not have given a 'good' answer here. Too much: makes you feel uncomfortable. Too little: now you think he's a cheapskate.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #52 on: 17 Nov 2020, 18:13 »

...Why did he tell her that?
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

chris73

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #53 on: 17 Nov 2020, 18:55 »

Great, now we can expect some more strips where someone else has to work to convince May its ok to have a new body

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #54 on: 17 Nov 2020, 18:56 »

It seems the Questionable Contentiverse has some differing social rules--most notably, total honesty is more acceptable.

And I can't help but feel that overall, it would seriously improve the real world if people were that open, especially about their feelings.

It would provide a shake-up, to be sure.

I thought that had already happened, and that we called it 'Teh Internet'?

When I read this, I almost went AHAHAHAHAHAHA.... but stopped myself.
<snip>

My thought was more along the lines that there was a time when humans could have honestly pondered whether telepathy would be a nice skill to have.

For me, the Internet settled that one. Decisively.

But I'll admit this is a bit of a vague notion that I didn't express very well. Or maybe a brainfart. Wouldn't be the first one.

Heck, look at me - hiding behind emojis and excessive italics... :oops:

Aaaaand you think that the role you're playing isn't a part of you? Do people celebrate Carnival where you live? The purpose of the masks is not to obscure - it's to allow you to reveal yourself.
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #55 on: 17 Nov 2020, 19:07 »

Yeah, that's gonna make things weird. 

Christophelous

• Plantmonster
  • Burninate
« Reply #56 on: 17 Nov 2020, 19:43 »

Why'd he want to donate anonymously if he was just gonna bring it up the first chance he got? And why didn't he just say "I'd rather not say"?
When it comes to evaluating phallus quality, I will defer to your greater experience.  -Bubbles, comic 3502

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #57 on: 17 Nov 2020, 19:53 »

If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Scarlet Manuka

« Reply #58 on: 17 Nov 2020, 20:02 »

May, being an AI, could potentially have multiple bodies.
It's not generally known in the QCverse that this is possible. Yay asked Roko to keep quiet about it for this reason.

Why'd he want to donate anonymously if he was just gonna bring it up the first chance he got? And why didn't he just say "I'd rather not say"?
Yeah, I'm struggling with this too. I can more or less buy him letting her know that he contributed, even though he previously said he didn't want her to know; it seems like the sort of thing that you might want to get out there because it would make things weird if you kept it from them and they found out later.
But I can't imagine that he would tell her the actual amount if it was as large as the comic implies.

Of course, May would probably just have badgered him until he gave in and told her.

My thought was more along the lines that there was a time when humans could have honestly pondered whether telepathy would be a nice skill to have.
For me, the Internet settled that one. Decisively.
I like SMBC's take on it.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #59 on: 17 Nov 2020, 20:03 »

Because there was no gracious way out of the question as soon as May asked it - she would've kept badgering him to disclose the amount.

My guess is he brought up the donation since he wanted May to make an informed decision around 'pursuing a sexual relationship with the man who supplied part of the money for my new body'.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #60 on: 17 Nov 2020, 20:54 »

Yet another reason it's oftentimes a good idea to simply be content knowing you've done a kind thing.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #61 on: 17 Nov 2020, 21:00 »

Because there was no gracious way out of the question as soon as May asked it - she would've kept badgering him to disclose the amount.

My guess is he brought up the donation since he wanted May to make an informed decision around 'pursuing a sexual relationship with the man who supplied part of the money for my new body'.
As someone lacking in the social graces department, tact is also very important. Sven's approach seems to lack this.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #62 on: 17 Nov 2020, 21:26 »

Honestly, if her knowing AND her not knowing would make Sven feel like sex is unethical, he should call the sex part of their relationship off. It seems like he painted himself into a moral quandary of a corner.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #63 on: 17 Nov 2020, 21:58 »

Honestly, if her knowing AND her not knowing would make Sven feel like sex is unethical, he should call the sex part of their relationship off. It seems like he painted himself into a moral quandary of a corner.

It seems to be heading that way anyway

Christophelous

• Plantmonster
  • Burninate
« Reply #64 on: 17 Nov 2020, 22:23 »

May, being an AI, could potentially have multiple bodies.
It's not generally known in the QCverse that this is possible. Yay asked Roko to keep quiet about it for this reason.

I wasn't referring to Yay's ability to be a multiplicity, I mean more like switching into a different body like a person would change into a suit (or more apt for this scenario, lingerie)

As someone lacking in the social graces department, tact is also very important. Sven's approach seems to lack this.

I get what you're saying, Farideh, but I'm gonna have to go with Gyrre on this one. It's not really tactful to immediately bring it up. Not that I expect much tact out of either of them, so I guess I should just be glad that Sven is growing up enough to show consideration, if not tact.
When it comes to evaluating phallus quality, I will defer to your greater experience.  -Bubbles, comic 3502

Gyrre

« Reply #65 on: 17 Nov 2020, 23:21 »

I was trying to reinforce what Farideh was saying.
Sven's got neither tact or grace.
a real-ass gaddam sword

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #66 on: 17 Nov 2020, 23:23 »

I think that May should really take Momo to see Faye. I'm sure being constantly overheated for that long might damage her internal components!

Yeah, well I think that this eventually had to come out. May knows that Sven is rich and she's the sort of person whose curiosity would impel her to action, no matter how ill-advised it is. That last panel, though, reminds us just how similar those two are in how they approach problems like this!

Because he likes May, she asked and I think that Sven was afraid that it would be rude not to tell her.

I was trying to reinforce what Farideh was saying.
Sven's got neither tact or grace.

Of course, neither does May!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #67 on: 17 Nov 2020, 23:27 »

These forums: Open and honest communication is good!
Also: He really shouldn’t have told her that.

:roll:
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #68 on: 18 Nov 2020, 00:28 »

There's no right answer here.

Consider the difference between buying someone a drink at a bar to show you're interested, and giving them the amount of money that drink would have cost directly. The difference between the abstract gesture and the real dollar terms makes this Weird, but he couldn't have played it off as a "Don't worry about it", because that could have come across as a more overt power play.

The only winning move is to just not be in a situation where you're rich and your friend is poor and it sometimes causes an uncomfortable power dynamic to navigate.
oh god

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #69 on: 18 Nov 2020, 02:08 »

Yeah I have to say that there is a difference between 'communication is good' and 'tell everyone Everything'
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #70 on: 18 Nov 2020, 02:54 »

I mean... sure, of course. We all know that.

What makes this communication not good? Or how does it constitute "telling everyone everything?" Do try to keep your self-confessed bias in mind ...

Bear in mind that Sven has literally just learned that something else he was trying to keep "on the down-low" has just been "blabbed."

It's barely a hop, skip, and a jump to come to the obvious conclusion that in this particular social group, the odds of him also keeping secret the fact that he donated quite a lot of money to her campaign are also quite low. It's also not difficult to further conclude that if she's gonna hear it, it would be better for her to hear it from him.

And as to the amount... well, she asked.

I am imaging right now what would have happened if he'd kept quiet about it, then a couple of weeks later she'd heard it from someone else, and become quite angry. I would bet a dollar to a dime that the same people angry at him for confessing right now would be just as angry in this alternative scenario.

I daresay that we have a classic "last panel" effect here - there is May, looking grumpy in the last panel for hours on end, and so no matter how ephemeral that expression might turn out to have been when we open tomorrow's comic, that impression it leaves on us is a strong one.

May will be fine. And if it turns out that they no longer feel able to have sex, well, it was fun while it lasted.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #71 on: 18 Nov 2020, 03:08 »

I mean. It was this I was responding to
These forums: Open and honest communication is good!
Also: He really shouldn’t have told her that.

:roll:

There is no right answer here

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #72 on: 18 Nov 2020, 03:24 »

I respectfully disagree. I think he made the right call.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #73 on: 18 Nov 2020, 03:52 »

huh, a wcdt thread involving the realities of May, Momo, and Sven and so far no one's calling May a disgusting whore?

i'm pleasantly surprised. good job clearing that low bar you set for yourself, wcdt

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #74 on: 18 Nov 2020, 04:29 »

I also think he made the right call. I also think the right call includes stepping back from their sexual relationship until he feels like he’s able to do so ethically. This is a big moment for Sven in terms of his development as a character, because he hasn’t always felt good about his choices sexually (like with Gina Riversmith/ Faye) or with the power dynamics created by his wealth (like with Dora). He’s got an opportunity here to develop his own sense of right and wrong, and I’m glad that it includes respecting May’s bodily autonomy, and hope it includes respecting his own right to decline sex that makes him uncomfortable.

As an aside: Melon’s siblings are all fruit-named. Are May’s siblings all month-named? Or are they all modal verbs? Do the humans or AIs at the crèche name them?

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #75 on: 18 Nov 2020, 04:34 »

As an aside: Melon’s siblings are all fruit-named. Are May’s siblings all month-named? Or are they all modal verbs? Do the humans or AIs at the crèche name them?

None of the above. Dale named May.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #76 on: 18 Nov 2020, 04:52 »

This is a totally fair point.

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #77 on: 18 Nov 2020, 05:06 »

There is a gracious way out of it.. silence. Of stating that fact, that whatever answer he gives---too little? too much?---will be wrong. If she insists, it'd be her problem.
Or he could not let his donating affect his behaviour. If she learns it, he can remind that. She'd know only if Hannelore abused his confidence.
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

BlueFatima

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #78 on: 18 Nov 2020, 06:32 »

Sven, you ridiculously honest fool! I guess there was no easy way out of this for him. He could have taken her up on sex and kept the donation secret, but if she ever found out it would look really bad. He could have turned down sex and never told her, but if they have feelings for each other (and I get the feeling it is more than just weird hookups for them) there would be potential sadness and more anger/confusion if or when she found out he donated. Even if she was human ir seems unrealistic to hide donating given her very human friend could accidentally (or purposely) spill the beans, but it seems to be especially a bad idea not to be upfront with an AI person about a transaction which probably occurred digitally.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #79 on: 18 Nov 2020, 08:24 »

... but it will lack the thrill of boldly going where no man was meant to go.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #80 on: 18 Nov 2020, 15:29 »

Does that mean Melon and her subs kept their original factory names?

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #81 on: 18 Nov 2020, 15:54 »

Does that mean Melon and her subs kept their original factory names?

At this point, we don't know.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #82 on: 18 Nov 2020, 18:32 »

Comic's up.

Yeah, that was bound to happen. It would be awkward if they kept hooking up after this. Good on May for expressing her gratitude, though.

Also: her shirt glitched again. Has she tried turning it off and on again?

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #83 on: 18 Nov 2020, 18:39 »

Honestly, I still don't understand why Sven told May he donated (especially when he saw this problem coming and donated anonymously to avoid it), but like... Good for him, man. He clearly cares about May. Really, they're both handling this in a way that demonstrates a lot of character development.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #84 on: 18 Nov 2020, 18:48 »

Yeah, that's gonna make things weird.

and.... ditto.

Shirt went black again too.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #85 on: 18 Nov 2020, 19:21 »

starting to think the shirt has a <blink> tag, and isn't always in sync with the comic panels.

badbum61

• I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #86 on: 18 Nov 2020, 19:23 »

And Sven just happens to be the only member of the cast who May asks how much they donated?

Yeah, I know, she's aware that he's well-off, but right now I'm calling bullshit on "Jeph doesn't read the forums".
What the hell are YOU staring at?

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #87 on: 18 Nov 2020, 19:33 »

Honestly, I still don't understand why Sven told May he donated (especially when he saw this problem coming and donated anonymously to avoid it), but like... Good for him, man. He clearly cares about May. Really, they're both handling this in a way that demonstrates a lot of character development.

I can think of several (vaguely) plausible sounding scenarios as to why Sven donated anonymously and then blabbed to May anyway, but in the end: only Jeph knows for sure.

And Sven just happens to be the only member of the cast who May asks how much they donated?

Yeah, I know, she's aware that he's well-off, but right now I'm calling bullshit on "Jeph doesn't read the forums".

The only one that we see depicted in the comics anyway. This specific case had a nice moral quandary to go with it, so it makes for more interesting reading material than asking, say, Momo if/how much she donated.

It does make me wonder a little bit how much Hanners donated? I mean, Sven is well-off, but she is LOADED.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #88 on: 18 Nov 2020, 19:40 »

It does make me wonder a little bit how much Hanners donated? I mean, Sven is well-off, but she is LOADED.
Is she? We know her parents are loaded, but she would never ask for donations from her mom, and Hannerdad is constantly busy and working on socialized bodycare legislation. While she could probably fall back on their funds if necessary, my guess is she's fairly self-sufficient.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #89 on: 18 Nov 2020, 19:51 »

Is she? We know her parents are loaded, but she would never ask for donations from her mom, and Hannerdad is constantly busy and working on socialized bodycare legislation. While she could probably fall back on their funds if necessary, my guess is she's fairly self-sufficient.

While Hanners does tend to be employed (her counting website when we first met her, and now her job at CoD), she is seen spending money without worrying about it: buying a drum set, getting Winslow a new chassis, travelling around/off the world after she confronted her mother, etc.

I'm sure I saw a comic once where her affluence was mentioned - I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Found it

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #90 on: 18 Nov 2020, 23:38 »

Welp, that's Svey dead for now, I think. It will be a while before they feel comfortable enough around each other to get over this awkwardness, especially as Sven doesn't really trust his own thinking and behaviour and May really doesn't know how to do serious relationships.

Panel 5 tells the story. They really, really want to be together and are both afraid to be right now. You can see the sadness and longing in their expressions.

They'll probably run into each-other again at some point and suddenly find themselves hanging out all the time without realising it. That's how I see things progressing, anyway.
~~~~

Boxer

• Plantmonster
« Reply #91 on: 19 Nov 2020, 00:58 »

While Hanners does tend to be employed (her counting website when we first met her, and now her job at CoD), she is seen spending money without worrying about it: buying a drum set, getting Winslow a new chassis, travelling around/off the world after she confronted her mother, etc.
Her working is more hobbyist and life affirming rather than for money, so trust fund allowance... but her sense of financial worth and influence is moderated a lot. She wants a simple life.
Even the few times where she has offered to put her financial or her family name to something, she was always talked out of it by someone.  (like offering to help out Faye and Bubbles shop, or threatening to get her mother to destroy a business that slighted Martin).  She could of single handily bought May a knew body, but she would of realised that would defeat the purpose of the fund raiser and the rights organisations work... but it would ruin a lot of the story if Hannelore became a blank cheque for every problem.

... but would be odd having one of the richest heiresses in the world, working behind a coffee shop, asking you to donate to charity, to buy a new robot body, that her father is pretty much the patent holder/manufacturer of.

Boxer

• Plantmonster
« Reply #92 on: 19 Nov 2020, 01:23 »

Welp, that's Svey dead for now, I think. It will be a while before they feel comfortable enough around each other to get over this awkwardness, especially as Sven doesn't really trust his own thinking and behaviour and May really doesn't know how to do serious relationships
Well you go back to the big chat between them in 4003 when Sven was having is existential moment...

So either that was Sven's rebound, and he can move on to a normal relationship... May can explore her new self which was what she was talking about before being interrupted.
or its just more weird and I wouldn't rule May and Sven, she did chastise him for "over-thinking" casual sex, but May would have to come to that conclusion and make the first move to be consistent with Sven being a better person.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #93 on: 19 Nov 2020, 01:41 »

... but would be odd having one of the richest heiresses in the world, working behind a coffee shop, asking you to donate to charity, to buy a new robot body, that her father is pretty much the patent holder/manufacturer of.

FWIW, I think that a lot of Hannelore's allowance comes from Beatrice and she's very wary of using it, concerned about its ultimate moral provenance.

Besides which, we don't know how much Hanners gave to may. We don't know how much money she's now funnelling into the Advocacy Group either.
~~~~

Marco

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Not quite an earthling
« Reply #94 on: 19 Nov 2020, 03:40 »

There is something really wrong with the vocabulary database of Momo's conversation algorithm.

Gyrre

« Reply #95 on: 19 Nov 2020, 05:20 »

Looks like poll option 6 got torpedo'd.

Sorry to the 5 people that voted for it.
a real-ass gaddam sword

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #96 on: 19 Nov 2020, 05:42 »

To quote a more famous comic:
Whatever happened to good old-fashioned TACT?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #97 on: 19 Nov 2020, 08:09 »

Comic's up.

Yeah, that was bound to happen. It would be awkward if they kept hooking up after this. Good on May for expressing her gratitude, though.

Also: her shirt glitched again. Has she tried turning it off and on again?

Maybe it’s a blinky shirt?

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #98 on: 19 Nov 2020, 08:40 »

Panel 5 tells the story. They really, really want to be together and are both afraid to be right now. You can see the sadness and longing in their expressions.
And May knows it for herself; whether she's caught the vibe from Sven is a different question.  I foresee a series of carefully planned "unexpectedly ran into and banged" encounters before they are both forced to admit their mutual attraction.  It'll just be a question of who catches them the last time as to who gets to see Sven propose to May. 
This space intentionally left almost blank.

Potato Farmer

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #99 on: 19 Nov 2020, 08:49 »

I think that went well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up