THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is Yemisi a new character or just one we haven't seen in awhile?

I completely remember her and am definitely not lying.
new character
old character
Ummm......hang on. Let me check the archives.
Wasn't she one of the library interns introduced with Claire, Gabby, and Emily?
No clue, tired man.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 4406-4410 (Nov 30th to Dec 4th, 2020)  (Read 26830 times)

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
Re: WCDT 4406-4410 (Nov 30th to Dec 4th, 2020)
« Reply #50 on: 30 Nov 2020, 20:34 »

Well, it's one way to get more comfortable with your body. It's a better option than using a vegetable peeler on your face.

What isn't?

...Don't answer that.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #51 on: 30 Nov 2020, 20:52 »

Now I'm wondering if I should hire a personal shopper, I dislike having to buy clothes for myself. Would that be affordable for the 'average' person?

I'd have to do that and a tailor thanks to 'weird' body proportions. Seriously, it's like the clothing industry refuses to acknowledge short and stocky folk exist.
[5'5" and I wear a 1XL or 2XL depending on brand for my shoulders alone.]
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #52 on: 30 Nov 2020, 21:36 »

178 cm tall, shoulders like a rugby player, child-bearing hips, and a 'yes, I have born 2 BIG babies' tummy... Sigh.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

FreshScrod

• Plantmonster
  • Kiötic Declension
« Reply #53 on: 30 Nov 2020, 21:47 »

Ah... I'm too tall. Not by any objective standard, though. Dunno why, just am. Really I'm maybe only slightly taller than average, but...
Quote from: Daniel Cowman
I don't exist, I don't exist
Quote from: The MIndless Voice
The program for this evening is not new
You have seen this entertainment through and through

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #54 on: 30 Nov 2020, 22:07 »

I've taken to making my own, after one particularly acerbic interaction in the clothes store. It's more work, but it fits, and is not a fraction of the aggravation clothes shopping is.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #55 on: 30 Nov 2020, 22:56 »

Anyone who is self-employed knows that you're always on the look for new clients. Also, I'm quite sure that a Personal Shopper will have Views even on your 'I'm too tired to fashion' sleepwear. I mean, grey goes well with Roko's skin-tone but grey goes well with just about everything, doesn't it? I now wonder if we're going to have a costume change sequence with Roko trying on different types of sleep-wear because Yemisi has made her feel a bit neurotic on the subject?

Meanwhile, panel 2: Yay is basically going to ignore all of Roko's objections and just do whatever they want, aren't they? I mean, that isn't changing anything but it's still an insight into their weak social instincts and overwhelming narcissism!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #56 on: 30 Nov 2020, 23:05 »

"How delightfully mercenary of you."

That's not mercenary, that's forced enlistment with minor incentive pay.

Roko, have a stern talk with your parasitic friend. They really need it.
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2020, 23:13 by Gnabberwocky »

Gyrre

« Reply #57 on: 30 Nov 2020, 23:44 »

178 cm tall, shoulders like a rugby player, child-bearing hips, and a 'yes, I have born 2 BIG babies' tummy... Sigh.
I've got a cousin built like that. She got her dad's linebacker shoulders.

I seem to have gotten the broadest parts from all four grandparents; broad shoulders, barrel chest, thunder thighs, and extra wide feet. Finding gloves that fit is a little easier than shoe shopping, but I always have to deal with some extra length if I want to be able to fully close my hand w/o ripping out the sides. Needless to say, my button-up are usually worn unbuttoned or big enough I have to cuff up the sleeves.

Apparently I'm built like a short boxer, wrestler, or caber-tosser. Thank God for relax-fit jeans though.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #58 on: 01 Dec 2020, 00:16 »

I've taken to making my own, after one particularly acerbic interaction in the clothes store. It's more work, but it fits, and is not a fraction of the aggravation clothes shopping is.

I'd love to make my own. All I need first is time, knowledge, and material 😉

Gyrre

« Reply #59 on: 01 Dec 2020, 02:27 »

Same
a real-ass gaddam sword

chris73

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #60 on: 01 Dec 2020, 02:42 »

Probably just imagining it but it seems like recently a lot of the characters are being jerks, more so than usual I mean

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #61 on: 01 Dec 2020, 02:47 »

Time and materials are the most difficult ones, in my experience. If you know some basic sewing, and find a fitting pattern, it's easy enough to assemble. There's a wealth of knowledge on the internet. The hard part is when you start having to alter patterns, or draft your own. But then, there's Freesewing.org where you choose the design, enter your measurements, and it generates your pattern to size. They come with decent instructions, as well.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

ihaveavoice

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #62 on: 01 Dec 2020, 07:55 »

Yeah, Roko was obviously feeling extra-horny yesterday in-strip, hence the large amount of used bread.

The last time we saw Roko was when Lemon successfully drew her out of her dysphoric episode triggered by chassis shopping with May. She didn't seem particularly horny to me while yelling at Beeps to stop smelling the stinky stuff.

Given that Yemisi's hair has visibly grown since we saw her last at The Horrible Revelation, I think we can safely say that a good few weeks, maybe more than a month, has passed since May accidentally triggered Roko's episode.

I was pointing out that there was no yesterday in-comic where Roko was feeling extra horny.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #63 on: 01 Dec 2020, 08:55 »

The one thing about personal shoppers I don't see, though they might actually exist, is ones that go out of their way to find sales, deep discounts and bargains.

My one sister could make a killing as a bargain clothes hunter is she wasn't such a recluse now and making her own clothing of late.

When she was working full time she was able to sniff out designer clothing that would almost fit her rail thin frame [she would adjust things herself] at crazy discount levels and then haggle the final sale even lower since the stores were trying to clear their inventory instead of sending it back to the design houses at a loss.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #64 on: 01 Dec 2020, 09:08 »

The one thing about personal shoppers I don't see, though they might actually exist, is ones that go out of their way to find sales, deep discounts and bargains.

I suppose it depends on the customer. I'm sure some expect their PS to purchase something outrageously-priced, bizarre-looking and impractical.

It is that fact which makes me wonder precisely what Yemisi bought for Yay.
~~~~

notStanley

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #65 on: 01 Dec 2020, 10:37 »

Even before the quarantines my wardrobe was utility vs fashion.  Now that the only time people see me in public is a half hour for groceries once a week, all clothes have to do is keep me warm.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #66 on: 01 Dec 2020, 12:08 »

Time and materials are the most difficult ones, in my experience. If you know some basic sewing, and find a fitting pattern, it's easy enough to assemble. There's a wealth of knowledge on the internet. The hard part is when you start having to alter patterns, or draft your own. But then, there's Freesewing.org where you choose the design, enter your measurements, and it generates your pattern to size. They come with decent instructions, as well.

I might see if I can sign up for a 'basic sewing' course in 2021. Haven't laid hands on a sewing machine since I was 8.

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #67 on: 01 Dec 2020, 12:15 »

Now I'm wondering if I should hire a personal shopper, I dislike having to buy clothes for myself. Would that be affordable for the 'average' person?

I have a personal shopper, whether I like it or not; my wife. Although she was usurped somewhat by my daughter for a while.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #68 on: 01 Dec 2020, 12:50 »

Still holding out for Bubbles in a tux. Maybe at the next wedding?
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #69 on: 01 Dec 2020, 13:09 »

The first hit on Google for "Personal shopper" is
"Personal Shopper is a 2016 supernatural psychological thriller film"
Just what Yay wants!
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Dock Braun

• Curry sauce
  • Wear a mask.
« Reply #70 on: 01 Dec 2020, 18:04 »

I now wonder if we're going to have a costume change sequence with Roko trying on different types of sleep-wear because Yemisi has made her feel a bit neurotic on the subject?
I wonder the effect on Roko's body incongruence. I think I've said, I like the idea of changing bodies, like changing clothes. More with that metaphor, some clothes, no matter how well-fitting or good-looking, I just can't wear. (Well, sometimes it's always, but usually I sometimes just can't wear. I never wear either. I don't know my incongruence won't haunt them while still worn.) So I'm exacting in what clothes I wear. I don't know that anyone else can ever learn that pattern, my clothes' essence. I think it could be like how some celebrities shop, where their shopper buys many options, most of which are returned. There's an interesting idea about bargain-hunting, though. If it's on a commission, based on my usual budget (that's accounting for things like my time/salary), I might consider it.
Trouble with the world isn't too many people―it's too many bodies. ---Professor E. Kingswater

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
WCDT 4406-4410 (Nov 30th to Dec 4th, 2020)
« Reply #71 on: 01 Dec 2020, 18:43 »

Comic’s up. Are you satisfied?

And Melon... I know this is a silly question where Melon is involved, but what the hell?
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #72 on: 01 Dec 2020, 19:01 »

If that is 'haute couture', then I am doubly glad that I was never that invested in fashion.

Then again, it does scream 'Melon'.

Romanticide

• Plantmonster
« Reply #73 on: 01 Dec 2020, 19:22 »

Considering some of the things Haute Couture houses sell on their Ready-To-Wear lines... a Axolotl headgear is probably the less "is this the designer trying to troll us?" that I can see on expensive brands XD

Gyrre

« Reply #74 on: 01 Dec 2020, 20:44 »

If that is 'haute couture', then I am doubly glad that I was never that invested in fashion.

Then again, it does scream 'Melon'.

I know there actually are giant animal heads one can buy like that, but I don't believe I ever saw an axolotl mod'l.
(Half rhyme, so close enough.)
a real-ass gaddam sword

Mordhaus

• Furry furrier
« Reply #75 on: 01 Dec 2020, 22:13 »

What the heck is that on Melon's melon?

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #76 on: 01 Dec 2020, 22:50 »

"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #77 on: 01 Dec 2020, 23:25 »

Actually, in all honesty, I think that new costume works for Melon. As for the (likely soft foam) headpiece? Well, it's the sort of thing Melon would do, isn't it? I do like Yemisi's "Hey, the customer is always right, no matter how otherworldly their choices" shrug. No-one has ever asked her to dissuade them from giving her money before!

Interesting how Yay is moving in panel 2. I'm wondering if this instance really has decided to try to be more feminine in presentation and found that they like it? Maybe, after long enough associating with Roko, this instance will be somewhat desynchronised from the others in behaviour?
~~~~

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #78 on: 02 Dec 2020, 09:38 »

Is Yemisi Jeph's new favorite character? Whom we are supposed to fall in love with? Like Tillie?
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #79 on: 02 Dec 2020, 10:09 »

Is Yemisi Jeph's new favorite character? Whom we are supposed to fall in love with? Like Tillie?

Here we go again ...

... can she please commit an actual sin before we break out the New-Character-Must-Die pitchforks?

Please?
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

FreshScrod

• Plantmonster
  • Kiötic Declension
« Reply #80 on: 02 Dec 2020, 10:50 »

Is Yemisi Jeph's new favorite character? Whom we are supposed to fall in love with? Like Tilly?
... can she please commit an actual sin before we break out the New-Character-Must-Die pitchforks?
I think it might be more about not wanting to get used to a character that's going to go away. I'm not a big fan of change, and I can definitely see that as a legitimate concern. I happen to really like Tilly, doncha knowit? But don't think bringing them back is gonna do much good for the strip, or the character. They exist in a sort of perfect state right now, that I'd rather have not messed up. I would like to see more of them, if well written, but it'd take some reworking of the story to let it glide to a place where that's possible. I'd love to see more of Station, too, but that would take a lot out of the present situation. Maybe as a spin-off comic, but I'm sure Jeph has his hands full with a consistent 5-days-a-week strip - I wouldn't wanna axolotl them.

edit: grammar
« Last Edit: 02 Dec 2020, 13:04 by FreshScrod »
Quote from: Daniel Cowman
I don't exist, I don't exist
Quote from: The MIndless Voice
The program for this evening is not new
You have seen this entertainment through and through

oddtail

« Reply #81 on: 02 Dec 2020, 14:11 »

Here we go again ...

Please?

I'd like previous characters to be developed a bit more, and the comic tends to have a sort of treadmill with secondary character where they fade into the background in time, even IF they remain part of the cast, and fill their own niche rather than being more explored. If it's a character I don't like, it doesn't bother me, but I suspect I dislike at least some of them because they were underutilised.

The new character might end up being good, but I have my doubts if the expiration date on the new character will be longer than for other characters that were introduced and later just sort of went away. And anticipating that kinda makes me lose my investment in the new cast member from the get-go.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #82 on: 02 Dec 2020, 14:32 »

Not every new character has to be a main one, though? Personally I'm fine with someone being introduced just to move the plot along (like Tilly) and then disappearing again.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #83 on: 02 Dec 2020, 14:49 »

All of this is terribly familiar to me as a onetime fan of the works of Rumiko Takahashi (manga artist/creator), who - between artistic preference and/or the demands of syndication - had a strong tendency to rarely resolve or progress story arcs and characters, merely add wacky new ones whenever things started to slow down.  Which is a fantastic way to draw things out and keep any given series going forever as long as it's popular and profitable, but tends to frustrate people looking for closure or lasting character development.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #84 on: 02 Dec 2020, 16:28 »

Not every new character has to be a main one, though? Personally I'm fine with someone being introduced just to move the plot along (like Tilly) and then disappearing again.
Which, it seems, is absolutely the point. She's written in there to move along the Roko/Yay storyline, possibly to spark Roko into laying down the law and drawing some new social boundaries between her and Yay.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #85 on: 02 Dec 2020, 17:06 »

One could argue each new character takes away screen time from Marten...  :-D

dutchrvl

« Reply #86 on: 02 Dec 2020, 17:49 »

Here we go again ...

Please?

I don’t mind new characters at all, but I do miss the older characters like marten, pint size, Dora, and to a lesser extent hanners, and marigold, especially because I feel there were still storylines to explore especially with marten and Dora. But, as long as Jeph finds engaging arcs it’s fine by me. That said, the past year several arcs have not really kept my interest.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #87 on: 02 Dec 2020, 17:54 »

I DO find myself thinking it might be a idea to do 2 strips. Keep Questionable, add 'Union Robotics' and spin off May, Bubbles and Faye, Rokko and Yay and have the Robot arcs there.

EDIT.

New comic up! Yay, Brun and Millie. :D
« Last Edit: 02 Dec 2020, 18:36 by shanejayell »

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #88 on: 02 Dec 2020, 18:46 »

Brun you are going to give somebody a heart attack
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #89 on: 02 Dec 2020, 18:46 »

Awwwww <3

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #90 on: 02 Dec 2020, 19:21 »

It's a good thing Mille was honest right away, because Brun has been having a rough time lately.

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #91 on: 02 Dec 2020, 19:39 »

One could argue each new character takes away screen time from Marten...  :-D

[Korath]Who?[/Korath]
Quis pater tibi est?

Gyrre

« Reply #92 on: 02 Dec 2020, 20:46 »

What the heck is that on Melon's melon?
An Axolotl:

It truly is amazing just how many of Earth's animal like scritches and/or being petted.
Even several species of fish.
a real-ass gaddam sword

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #93 on: 02 Dec 2020, 21:37 »

"Do you have any secret feelings for me that I have no way of knowing about"  :laugh: 
I love the vaguely accusatory wording - as if to say, "How dare people introduce these pesky emotional variables that I have no capacity to be able to detect!"

"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #94 on: 02 Dec 2020, 23:27 »

Poor Brun! Today's strip really does strongly imply that Clinton and Elliot's revelations have been mildly traumatic to her and left her feeling a bit insecure about all her friendships. I do hope that she explains everything to Millifeulle otherwise she might start getting the wrong idea (although I'm not entirely sure what the right idea would be right now).

I'll make my wager now: Brun and Millie have been earmarked to be the cute romantic asexual couple - Quite into each other but entirely satisfied to just hold hands and occasionally hug in very intimate ways.
~~~~

Gyrre

« Reply #95 on: 02 Dec 2020, 23:54 »

Poor Brun! Today's strip really does strongly imply that Clinton and Elliot's revelations have been mildly traumatic to her and left her feeling a bit insecure about all her friendships. I do hope that she explains everything to Millifeulle otherwise she might start getting the wrong idea (although I'm not entirely sure what the right idea would be right now).

I'll make my wager now: Brun and Millie have been earmarked to be the cute romantic asexual couple - Quite into each other but entirely satisfied to just hold hands and occasionally hug in very intimate ways.

Time will tell what the nature of their relationship will be.
[I thought that was Tillie and Station.]
a real-ass gaddam sword

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #96 on: 03 Dec 2020, 00:52 »

Time will tell what the nature of their relationship will be.
[I thought that was Tillie and Station.]

No, remember the brain implant that Station was pressuring Hannelore to have? I'm pretty sure that Tilly had one put in and that they and Station are wild and physical in the virtual world!
~~~~

Boxer

• Plantmonster
« Reply #97 on: 03 Dec 2020, 01:19 »

I don't think traumatic is the right word.  Brun just felt deflated cause she thought she was getting used to understanding people and kind of got side swipped by "emotions" cause she can't read social cues and didn't like missing pieces. The fact she just came out with a straight forward question is showing shes not avoiding it and confronting it openly?

That really depends on if Millie takes the cue and returns the question "Do you have any feelings for me", and if Brun answers with "Im picturing us..."

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #98 on: 03 Dec 2020, 05:04 »

And I came away from today's comic with: OK, Brun and Millie for a bit, then Millie will give up as Brun is an Ace and return to Jones for comfort and attention.  Indeed, we'll see where these characters get taken.
This space intentionally left almost blank.

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!
« Reply #99 on: 03 Dec 2020, 06:43 »

I thought the interaction between Millefeuille and Brun was really cute last time, so I'm eager to see where this goes.  :)  (Opening with some honesty about feelings seems like a good sign!)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up