THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Home recording thread 2020  (Read 13789 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Home recording thread 2020
« on: 25 May 2020, 06:20 »

Global Moderator Comment As my original query was answered, I thought I would re-purpose this thread to be a generalised home recording thread for questions, help, experiences, discussion etc. Enjoy! (Or, indeed, BAND)

Hello all,

I am working on home recording at the moment and unfortunately my laptop does not have a microphone in slot, just an out.

This isn't a problem with everything by any means - I can record into the mic I had and vocals, etc.

However I also have some instruments I wanted to record with a line in, including my guitar, a synth and a drum machine.

I bought this and it has picked up no audio whatsoever. After combing through their product page quite extensively, I think I have slowly come to the conclusion that... this doesn't work.

Does anybody know of anything attached to a USB that I can get that I will be able to plug a mic or non-powered instrument into so I can record with it?
« Last Edit: 29 May 2020, 12:45 by Thrillho »
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: Home recording help
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2020, 09:54 »

Most audio interfaces at all price levels are USB these days, so it's just a matter of finding the one that suits.

I'm not surprised that the one you tried failed, not least because of the unconventional plug required (the kind used on old iPhones, in fact), and it's input is not a line input anyway.

Something like this or this or this may be what you need, depending on the exact range of in/outs you want; they're by a cheap but widely used make, basically OK.
« Last Edit: 25 May 2020, 10:00 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2020, 13:02 »

Thanks so much, hodgy. It's the Behringer U-Phoria I'm going to for.

I'm going to record this goddamn drum machine if it kills me

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2020, 16:36 »

I'm pretty happy with my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2020, 21:18 »

I use a Samson G-Track Pro, top quality equipment.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2020, 00:44 »

To be clear, I was suggesting the lowest cost equipment that would serve satisfactorily in this instance, rather than kit costing near or well over £100 which would be overkill at this stage.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2020, 13:18 »

To be clear, I was suggesting the lowest cost equipment that would serve satisfactorily in this instance, rather than kit costing near or well over £100 which would be overkill at this stage.
Entry-level gear can be nice if it's all you need, but it's also nice to have room to grow into. And I consider my 2i2 to still be "entry-level" as its two inputs are just enough to accommodate my stereo-output Stick.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2020, 14:20 »

You also get what you pay for. Yes, I've paid more for my current microphone, but I've also ended up paying more than for cheap headsets and microphones that have quickly broken. But the one I'm using now has paid for itself just in terms of how much I've used it. Simply put, I'd rather pay €150 for a microphone that will last me a few years, than pay €200 for several replacements in the same time period.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2020, 15:43 »

Starter kit is all I need for now.

I plan to do my real recording in studios from now on but this costs a pretty penny and you are just burning daylight if you go in without an arrangement.

This is basically for demos, and if I get anything remotely usable I will stick it online.

IDMG

• Curry sauce
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2020, 11:59 »

what's your budget

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Re: Home recording thread 2020
« Reply #10 on: 29 May 2020, 12:46 »

Global Moderator Comment Please note updated OP.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2020, 12:52 »

Something I am going to post about in another thread is that I never really learned to 'try' at anything, and this has been particularly true of music.

I grew up reading the music press, the mythologising of the musical genius as someone who could just 'do' the things they did and rarely had to work at them unless they were going through a rough patch.

This has meant that my songwriting habits have been profoundly ridiculous for pretty much my entire creative life.

I've also always had a natural affinity for music, so once I got to the level I reached at age 15 or so I just settled there as far as effort is concerned. I did still find things to improve on, but none of them took actual effort (I want to learn more chords, so I joined the church band, which already had a guitarist, so I only ever played inversions or bass; just learned how to play differently through habit rather than dedicated practice).

I could be a better musician, I could be a better artist, and I could actually start producing half-decent quality recordings. I heard the audio quality of some stuff available to listen to on Spotify and thought, I'm sure I could achieve that.

Now that I am waiting for my line in adapter, I don't want to start on any 'proper' recording yet, so I've mostly been experimenting. I've recorded to a click before, but never at home, and I attempted it once recently and it was fucking disastrous.

But I finally actually fucking bothered to try it properly, using a click, and recording one of my old songs - I tried to do a better job at recording the vocals and such, actually planning what I was going to play (I have historically gone in with just basic chords and improvised in the recordings hoping it'll work out well, then just not shown anyone else if I thought it sucked), thinking about what it would sound like.

I made an awful compressed-to-fuck mix of it to listen to over and over just so I could have something 'complete,' and I'm going to remix it again, possibly even go back for retakes(!), and just wait with bated breath for whenever my part arrives and I can get on this properly, because I have so many ideas right now.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #12 on: 08 Dec 2020, 15:03 »

The first real fruit of the labours begun well before this thread.

I did a Christmas-adjacent song! Free to stream or download.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #13 on: 08 Dec 2020, 23:20 »

I'm pretty happy with my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

I have just acquired one of these.

I also now own a matched pair of sE Electronics sE8 condenser microphones.

I look forward to mucking around and trying to record something.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #14 on: 09 Dec 2020, 00:13 »

The first real fruit of the labours begun well before this thread.

I did a Christmas-adjacent song! Free to stream or download.

I enjoyed this song, especially the twist at the end. You have a good voice 😊
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #15 on: 09 Dec 2020, 03:35 »

Any good monitor headset?
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #16 on: 09 Dec 2020, 05:01 »

Are you asking for recommendations?

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #17 on: 09 Dec 2020, 13:17 »

Are you asking for recommendations?
Yes.
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #18 on: 09 Dec 2020, 16:51 »

When I have enough brain bits I will tell you what I have.
Pages: [1]   Go Up