Postal worker
- 8 (7.8%)
Zamboni driver (!)
- 6 (5.9%)
(Another) Barista at Coffee of Doom
- 4 (3.9%)
Earth-to-orbit shuttle pilot
- 8 (7.8%)
Street marketing operative (handing out leaflets whilst wearing a sandwich board)
- 10 (9.8%)
Sven's professional muse and girlfriend
- 14 (13.7%)
Still a convenience store clerk, just in a far more curvacious chassis
- 11 (10.8%)
Other (Please specify in comments)
- 3 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4111 to 4115 (7th to 11th December 2020)  (Read 22198 times)

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!
Re: WCDT strips 4111 to 4115 (7th to 11th December 2020)
« Reply #50 on: 08 Dec 2020, 18:24 »

a cast of characters for whom my feelings range from "I don't care about these people" to "FUCK THAT GUY"

Any human male who can watch Firefly and not care (at the very least) about Kaylee is clearly already dead.
What the hell are YOU staring at?

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #51 on: 08 Dec 2020, 18:46 »

Not just human males.  She's just so sweet and innocent and adorable that you can't deny that adorkableness.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #52 on: 08 Dec 2020, 18:59 »

Millefeuille is clearly not drunk enough. Because when she was drunk she wanted everyone to look at her butt.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #53 on: 08 Dec 2020, 19:04 »

In those cases her butt was still covered by her pants, though.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #54 on: 08 Dec 2020, 19:19 »

"Why DO robots need underwear?"

"FASHION."

"Ok, that works..."

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #55 on: 08 Dec 2020, 19:29 »

“But why do robots need underwear?”

”I said it’s important.”

“But why?

”IT JUST IS.”

dreed

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #56 on: 08 Dec 2020, 20:56 »

https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4081

According to this getting new femur should have taken only few days.

So can we say that last 15 months of comic happened only in like a week or two?

Gyrre

« Reply #57 on: 08 Dec 2020, 21:20 »

Well, I think panel 2 pretty much torpedoes the notion of Brun being ace.
(Unless it's an instance of aesthetic attraction).
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #58 on: 08 Dec 2020, 22:29 »

I have never watched Firefly, belonging to that rare breed of people entirely uninterested in all things Joss Whedon.

However, I do dream of the day when US producers learn that there is such a thing as too much of a good thing - or, to put it another way, you should always leave your audience wanting more.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #59 on: 08 Dec 2020, 23:21 »

Yes, Millie, they all admire you, even if it's only as a job well done!

Right now, Sam finds adult sexuality an intensely funny thing to watch. In some ways, I'm looking forward to the first time she sees a guy or girl whose physical attributes are hypnotic to her, just to that Faye and Bubbles can mock her in return!

"Why do robots need underwear?"

"Why do humans?"

"To help support and stop chafing to... er... Oh."
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #60 on: 09 Dec 2020, 00:38 »

Could also consider not stating like creepy bastards
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Boxer

• Plantmonster
« Reply #61 on: 09 Dec 2020, 01:16 »

For someone who loves playing romatic simulation games, Millie is missing some choice opening lines.
She didn't ask Brun about her feelings towards her, didn't ask her about "other options and techniques?", and Brun has complimented her butt twice.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #62 on: 09 Dec 2020, 01:27 »

Could also consider not stating like creepy bastards

Yeah, there's something off about today's comic. Like, I felt as though Jeph was playing it for laughs, but what they were doing was downright exploitative. If that's the way they treat all their customers, they deserve to fail.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

MrSmith

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #63 on: 09 Dec 2020, 01:34 »

Imagine if this was at a doctors surgery or something, wouldn't be quite as cute or as funny as the author clearly thinks it is
« Last Edit: 09 Dec 2020, 01:42 by MrSmith »

MrSmith

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #64 on: 09 Dec 2020, 01:44 »

Right now, Sam finds adult sexuality an intensely funny thing to watch. In some ways, I'm looking forward to the first time she sees a guy or girl whose physical attributes are hypnotic to her, just to that Faye and Bubbles can mock her in return!

Being that Sam acts likes shes 12 I'd sooner not have anything to do with her and sexuality in this comic for a good long while

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #65 on: 09 Dec 2020, 01:55 »

Being that Sam acts likes shes 12 I'd sooner not have anything to do with her and sexuality in this comic for a good long while

As of Strip 3161, Sam is 14 years old, just so you know. Still rather young but old enough that the first crush may come crashing through the window at any second!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

MrSmith

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #66 on: 09 Dec 2020, 02:19 »

As of Strip 3161, Sam is 14 years old, just so you know. Still rather young but old enough that the first crush may come crashing through the window at any second!

Sure shes 14 but she acts like a 12 year old but be that as it may I'd still rather not see this author attempt that type of story line, it's one thing to get it wrong with adults (today's strip for example) but its quite another when it involves a young teenager
« Last Edit: 09 Dec 2020, 12:32 by MrSmith »

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #67 on: 09 Dec 2020, 02:57 »

Unless Northampton is suddenly overrun by sultry snake-men, she's probably fine.
Quis pater tibi est?

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #68 on: 09 Dec 2020, 03:22 »

Imagine if this was at a doctors surgery or something, wouldn't be quite as cute or as funny as the author clearly thinks it is
What makes you think the author, who has shown years of interpersonal sensitivity, thinks it's not horrid? I think it's an excellent page, in part for that very fact, that what's happening is horrid, simply because Union Robotics didn't think that part through. That's horrid, but the question is, how does Union Robotics respond, when someone tries to let them know? It might be an honest mistake, but depending on the response, that honest mistake becomes willful negligence. The proper response would be to listen to the person's concerns, understand them, figure out the different ways to change, and then implement the best change, to most improve the service.
In our world, that rarely happens---first they'd dismiss the person's concerns, or bullshit their way out of it; then, if the person persists, insisting the concern be heard, they actively play stupid, intentionally misinterpreting what the person is describing, even going so far as pretending the person said something else entirely. In a rare case, that it gets past this stage---now they know the concern. Sometimes, they still do nothing. More often, they try to put some temporary fix, that's not a solution, and the problem reoccurs. If they do try to solve the problem, often, their solution is nowhere near the best---sometimes, worse than what was before. The only time they'd implement anything near the optimal solution, was when I spelled it out for them.
I'd also like you to inspect the documents your doctor has you complete. You might find some dangerous clauses you're `agreeing' or highly sensitive data you're volunteering, unnecessary for treatment.
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #69 on: 09 Dec 2020, 03:33 »

What makes you think the author, who has shown years of interpersonal sensitivity, thinks it's not horrid?

The author commentary around the strip, for starters.

"r o b o t  b u t t s"
"nice"

Also, see that angling of their heads and their dazed expressions? He's played that joke of this cast admiring butts before.

He also provided some unsubtle fan service in panel 2.

Nah, I don't see any evidence that it occurred to him.

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #70 on: 09 Dec 2020, 04:13 »

What makes you think the author, who has shown years of interpersonal sensitivity, thinks it's not horrid?

The author commentary around the strip, for starters.

"r o b o t  b u t t s"
"nice"

Also, see that angling of their heads and their dazed expressions? He's played that joke of this cast admiring butts before.

He also provided some unsubtle fan service in panel 2.

Nah, I don't see any evidence that it occurred to him.
I don't think that's enough evidence that it hasn't occurred to him. For one, it looks like irony, and a potent set-up for the issue. Bubbles & Faye, focused on the object of their work, forget to consider the patient's comfort---much like how many hospitals are efficient at just the medicine part, disregarding the patient's mental well-being. And then Brun, clueless, is enthusiastically reaffirming their objectification, exacerbating Millefeuille's discomfort. Sam is actually trying to be halfway decent---leering away while others are ogling (tangential: she's becoming a fine young woman, in this frame), stifling the snigger from the ``nice ass'' comment---but it seems mainly due to taboo, instead of consideration.
That would suggest that it's too early to know---the offending situation has happened, we'll see what happens next---if it's addressed, how it's addressed---or, by the emphasis on them disregarding Millefeuille's mental well-being, and her mental (un)well-being from their actions, one might suggest that it did, in fact, occur to him.
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #71 on: 09 Dec 2020, 05:04 »

Ogling uncomfortable people is old QC joke, like with Marigold and her boobs.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #72 on: 09 Dec 2020, 05:31 »

I get why other people are uncomfortable at this joke, but I laughed super hard at the idea of being proud of its craftship.
oh god

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #73 on: 09 Dec 2020, 06:38 »

About JJ not seeing the problem with his characters' behavior, I will suspend my judgment until the end of the arc.

On another level, that's the first time we see Brun showing some interest for anything... let's say... another person's body related.
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #74 on: 09 Dec 2020, 07:02 »

Um. Speaking as someone who only discovered sexuality at age 46... it was far more hilarious and disconcerting than you can imagine. Especially since I discovered I was straight, when I had assumed that if it happened, I'd  be Lez.

I'd observed sexual attraction before then of course. I knew it existed. I knew that it had made rational human beings do things that could and sometimes did get them killed. It was obviously powerful JuJu. I just didn’t understand it, nor could imagine myself experiencing it.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #75 on: 09 Dec 2020, 07:22 »

However, I do dream of the day when US producers learn that there is such a thing as too much of a good thing - or, to put it another way, you should always leave your audience wanting more.
I would also like them to learn something that seems like the opposite on first glance but is actually the same: it’s OK for a long running show to change.
Specifically I’m thinking of Stargate SG-1 here, and the Ori arc. Like, humanity finally wiped out the big bads, scored alliances with the big goods, and then suddenly even bigger, badder bads appear. We did not need Goa’uld 2.0 guys. Seriously, even down to having hilariously OP ships and their troops using staff weapons.
There were a few hundred plot arcs that could have been followed up on and were even planned, like the revelation of the … well, everything, to the general public on Earth, but nope, plot reset, back to day one but turned up to eleven.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #76 on: 09 Dec 2020, 08:41 »

I didn't take panel 2 and Brun as anything other than she's looking at what everyone else is looking at.  Sam is trying to figure out what's going on, which is why she's looking at Faye.  Brun could be thinking about how she slept on that butt and it was quite comfortable.

Brun in panel 3 then speaks her truth, though she's most likely missed the whole social context, which is what makes Millie uncomfortable at hearing what she already thinks everyone else is thinking.  Sam is snickering at Millie's discomfort after Millie's response.

Or at least that's the way I'm reading it.  We shall see where it goes.

On Sam, I'm thinking she's going to have a sudden and deeply weird experience wherein she recognizes sex exists and she wants to be in on the party.  Now, whether it's with Winslow or Fairy is my only question.
This space intentionally left almost blank.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #77 on: 09 Dec 2020, 08:50 »

"A man who would letter-space lower case would steal sheep."
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

awkwardness

« Reply #78 on: 09 Dec 2020, 09:14 »

I didn't take panel 2 and Brun as anything other than she's looking at what everyone else is looking at.  Sam is trying to figure out what's going on, which is why she's looking at Faye.  Brun could be thinking about how she slept on that butt and it was quite comfortable.

Brun in panel 3 then speaks her truth, though she's most likely missed the whole social context, which is what makes Millie uncomfortable at hearing what she already thinks everyone else is thinking.  Sam is snickering at Millie's discomfort after Millie's response.

Or at least that's the way I'm reading it.  We shall see where it goes.

On Sam, I'm thinking she's going to have a sudden and deeply weird experience wherein she recognizes sex exists and she wants to be in on the party.  Now, whether it's with Winslow or Fairy is my only question.

I agree with you here. Brun slept on Millie's butt but hasn't seen it and doesn't know how to react to seeing it so it to me isn't sexual: just genuine interest in it for what it is- her friend's butt. Brun's reaction is one of simply restating what the others had said but not getting the shock or obvious discomfort of Millie, which is simply Brun being Brun and her unfortunate autism causing her to unintentionally put her foot in her mouth when anyone else would have reassured Millie in a different way

awkwardness

« Reply #79 on: 09 Dec 2020, 09:17 »

And I agree with others here, it was completely unprofessional by the two to ogle a repeat paying customer who has referred more business to them than anyone else. There is no excuse, they were there when the implant were put in so they have no reason to ogle Millie. If they can't shelve their sexual sides then they're in the wrong business because they are not only sexually harassing customers- they might even be breaking the law.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #80 on: 09 Dec 2020, 10:33 »

This comic did make me uncomfortable. Let's see what today's one brings.

TorporChambre

• Emoticontraindication
  • Hannelore Enthusiast
« Reply #81 on: 09 Dec 2020, 10:35 »

"A man who would letter-space lower case would steal sheep."
Word-stretch by some langues emphasizes (as english slants) quoth this sheep-thief?
``Remember about advanced texnics and noise?
We've hit fiction from science indistinct''
~Carl-E, QC forums

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #82 on: 09 Dec 2020, 10:40 »

That would suggest that it's too early to know---the offending situation has happened, we'll see what happens next---if it's addressed, how it's addressed---or, by the emphasis on them disregarding Millefeuille's mental well-being, and her mental (un)well-being from their actions, one might suggest that it did, in fact, occur to him.

True, it might.

It might also suggest it occurred to him later.

Regardless, that was the way it came across to me, intended or otherwise.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #83 on: 09 Dec 2020, 15:08 »

I like Brun. She might be blunt to a fault, but you can tell she means good.

Also, is it just me or does Brun's skin tone almost look gray compared to Sam's?
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #84 on: 09 Dec 2020, 15:17 »

I get why other people are uncomfortable at this joke, but I laughed super hard at the idea of being proud of its craftship.

Idk I don’t like that part combined with the ogling. It’s objectifying on a lot of levels

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #85 on: 09 Dec 2020, 17:54 »

I mean, yeah. On one of those levels is the fact that the ass is a literal object that they made. That's absurdist as hell, which I find funny. But I also see this as more vaudeville than lustful.
oh god

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?
« Reply #86 on: 09 Dec 2020, 18:14 »

Also, is it just me or does Brun's skin tone almost look gray compared to Sam's?
I think that's just shadow.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #87 on: 09 Dec 2020, 18:25 »

Comic's up.

I'm with you Brun, this IS fascinating. Wish I was there to watch it!

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #88 on: 09 Dec 2020, 18:25 »

This response from our resident clockwork fan makes total sense.
Also, I can see why Faye warned Brun. Them's some muscle lookin' muscles.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #89 on: 09 Dec 2020, 18:29 »

I think this is the most emotion we've ever seen Brun show.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?
« Reply #90 on: 09 Dec 2020, 18:32 »

Brun may have just found a new career.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #91 on: 09 Dec 2020, 18:39 »

I wish a human hip replacement was that easy. Relevant to me because I will probably need one in a few years.

But yeah, Jeph has gotten one thing right that most sci-fi tv “androids” get wrong: to look at all human-like, the android body would need something that moves the same way muscle does. The way Star Trek showed Data having circuits and wires just below the skin wouldn’t look anything like a human body.

badbum61

« Reply #92 on: 09 Dec 2020, 18:39 »

Brun is feeling an intimate emotional connection, possibly for the first time. And on a subcutaneous level! That's some serious bonding stuff.

I hereby christen thee the good ship Brunfeuille!
(Millehilde?)
« Last Edit: 09 Dec 2020, 18:48 by badbum61 »

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #93 on: 09 Dec 2020, 18:41 »

Bruille.

No, on second thought, let’s not go there. ‘Tis a silly place.

badbum61

Scarlet Manuka

« Reply #95 on: 09 Dec 2020, 19:19 »

https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4081

According to this getting new femur should have taken only few days.

So can we say that last 15 months of comic happened only in like a week or two?
In comic 4411 Millefeuille says "It's finallly here?" - to me this indicates that it took rather longer than expected.

Also, I just noticed the title of that comic is "It Took A While". So presumably it has been quite a bit longer than initially expected.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #96 on: 09 Dec 2020, 19:22 »

New strip up.

Brun: "THIS... IS... AWESOME."

Gyrre

« Reply #97 on: 09 Dec 2020, 20:40 »

New strip up.

Brun: "THIS... IS... AWESOME."

I do believe this may be the start of a new hyperfixation.

I'd also being willing to lay odds that either Renee or Elliot are one of the humans who puke at the sight of robot innards.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

PeterO

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #98 on: 09 Dec 2020, 22:29 »

We've already seen Brun's fascination with intricate machinery through her love for clocks. Does she now see her new friend as an ultimate expression of the Clockmakers art? Does she fall even harder for Millefeuille, not in spite of her being an AI, but in fact because she is one. This also ties in to the theme that humans (e.g. Clinton & Elliot) are confusing and their behaviour doesn't follow predictable rules. For Brun, I think the mechanical part of Mille's nature makes her more attractive. Lots to think about from one frame.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #99 on: 09 Dec 2020, 23:34 »

For the moment, I'm reading this as an admiration for the mechanics, rather than anything romantic, as well, really.

The ship may be on the stocks, but it might be a little early to launch, still. Besides, what kind of relationship could ensue if I like how you are mechanically put together, and want to literally take you apart and put you back together again is about the level of the most amazing experience for one of the partners? If I were were Millefeuille, that might be a slightly disconcerting, if not downright creepy, idea.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up