Postal worker
- 8 (7.8%)
Zamboni driver (!)
- 6 (5.9%)
(Another) Barista at Coffee of Doom
- 4 (3.9%)
Earth-to-orbit shuttle pilot
- 8 (7.8%)
Street marketing operative (handing out leaflets whilst wearing a sandwich board)
- 10 (9.8%)
Sven's professional muse and girlfriend
- 14 (13.7%)
Still a convenience store clerk, just in a far more curvacious chassis
- 11 (10.8%)
Other (Please specify in comments)
- 3 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4111 to 4115 (7th to 11th December 2020)  (Read 22197 times)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
Re: WCDT strips 4111 to 4115 (7th to 11th December 2020)
« Reply #100 on: 09 Dec 2020, 23:53 »

As of Strip 3161, Sam is 14 years old, just so you know. Still rather young but old enough that the first crush may come crashing through the window at any second!

Sure shes 14 but she acts like a 12 year old but be that as it may I'd still rather not see this author attempt that type of story line, it's one thing to get it wrong with adults (today's strip for example) but its quite another when it involves a young teenager

This is one of the few things I'll agree with AO3's detractors ("antis") on. While I understand teenagers need a safe outlet to express/explore their sexuality with, the fact of the matter is that we're dealing with the internet. Trying to prove who's who and how old they are is quite difficult. Which makes protecting minors from predators and sussing out who's a pedo and who's actually a teenager difficult.  The whole thing is quite messy. And Lord knows any legislation put forward as a means of sorting things out will just get misused as a way to enact cyberpunk dystopian levels of draconian measures that don't actually address the issue.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #101 on: 09 Dec 2020, 23:56 »

For the moment, I'm reading this as an admiration for the mechanics, rather than anything romantic, as well, really.

The ship may be on the stocks, but it might be a little early to launch, still. Besides, what kind of relationship could ensue if I like how you are mechanically put together, and want to literally take you apart and put you back together again is about the level of the most amazing experience for one of the partners? If I were were Millefeuille, that might be a slightly disconcerting, if not downright creepy, idea.

For humans, a lot of our attraction is also based on 'I like how you were put together', so that shouldn't be a big issue ;)

The 'taking apart and putting back together' bit though... That tends to be horror movie material.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Gyrre

« Reply #102 on: 10 Dec 2020, 00:01 »

.[big snip] The proper response would be to listen to the person's concerns, understand them, figure out the different ways to change, and then implement the best change, to most improve the service.
In our world, that rarely happens---first they'd dismiss the person's concerns, or bullshit their way out of it; then, if the person persists, insisting the concern be heard, they actively play stupid, intentionally misinterpreting what the person is describing, even going so far as pretending the person said something else entirely. In a rare case, that it gets past this stage---now they know the concern. Sometimes, they still do nothing. More often, they try to put some temporary fix, that's not a solution, and the problem reoccurs. If they do try to solve the problem, often, their solution is nowhere near the best---sometimes, worse than what was before. The only time they'd implement anything near the optimal solution, was when I spelled it out for them.
[little snip]

Case in point, COPPA. It's unconstitutional at best.

SOPA, PIPA, and ACTA all failed to let the U.S. government try to put the internet under it's boot heel, so they pulled a Mrs Lovejoy and started shrieking 'won't somebody think of the children'. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if that stupid Momo (or whatever she's called) hoax from last year that an alarmingly large amount of people fell for was set up solely to get the American people behind COPPA.

EDIT: When lodging a complaint, be very specific about what's wrong and needs to be changed. Otherwise you'll get the aforementioned run-around along with the 'fix' that's worse.
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2020, 00:12 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #103 on: 10 Dec 2020, 01:16 »

Okay, on one level, this is disturbing: Brun is more into what's inside Millie's skin that what's outside.

On the other level...? This strikes me that something Jeph has wanted to do on a world-building level for a while. Just like he showed us just what was under the derma on May's head when she had the skin tone of her replacement face changed way back when. However, if that is really the whole point of this strip, I'd have preferred it if he'd done it as a bonus full-page panel ("What is inside Millefeulle's skin") or something rather than waste a day of this arc. Bottom line: Today's whole strip could have been done as a single full-width panel leaving another 2/3 of the page for actual narrative.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

厚目眠子

• Plantmonster
« Reply #104 on: 10 Dec 2020, 01:48 »

I think this is the most emotion we've ever seen Brun show.
The most expressive. The most emotion was page 3235 row 3 frame 2.
[want to literally take you apart and put you back together again] might be a slightly disconcerting, if not downright creepy, idea.
I'd love being taken apart and put back together.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #105 on: 10 Dec 2020, 04:23 »

Okay, on one level, this is disturbing: Brun is more into what's inside Millie's skin that what's outside.

On the other level...? This strikes me that something Jeph has wanted to do on a world-building level for a while. Just like he showed us just what was under the derma on May's head when she had the skin tone of her replacement face changed way back when. However, if that is really the whole point of this strip, I'd have preferred it if he'd done it as a bonus full-page panel ("What is inside Millefeulle's skin") or something rather than waste a day of this arc. Bottom line: Today's whole strip could have been done as a single full-width panel leaving another 2/3 of the page for actual narrative.

I disagree. Today's comic is not about what's under Millefeuille's skin. It's about Brun character building and evolution. She discovered so much since yesterday!
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #106 on: 10 Dec 2020, 04:31 »

I mean, yeah. On one of those levels is the fact that the ass is a literal object that they made. That's absurdist as hell, which I find funny. But I also see this as more vaudeville than lustful.

I see what you’re saying, but I think what makes me uncomfortable is that it’s an object they made for a sentient being. It’s now part of Millefeulle. At what point does it stop being an ass they made and start being a Millefeulle’s ass?

BlueFatima

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #107 on: 10 Dec 2020, 05:08 »

As of Strip 3161, Sam is 14 years old, just so you know. Still rather young but old enough that the first crush may come crashing through the window at any second!

Sure shes 14 but she acts like a 12 year old but be that as it may I'd still rather not see this author attempt that type of story line, it's one thing to get it wrong with adults (today's strip for example) but its quite another when it involves a young teenager

This is one of the few things I'll agree with AO3's detractors ("antis") on. While I understand teenagers need a safe outlet to express/explore their sexuality with, the fact of the matter is that we're dealing with the internet. Trying to prove who's who and how old they are is quite difficult. Which makes protecting minors from predators and sussing out who's a pedo and who's actually a teenager difficult.  The whole thing is quite messy. And Lord knows any legislation put forward as a means of sorting things out will just get misused as a way to enact cyberpunk dystopian levels of draconian measures that don't actually address the issue.

My kid is 12 and has a lot of older friends. From this, I’ve learned there is a large variation of behavior in middle school adolescents. I hadn’t seen so much variation in kids looking different in age/maturity since preschool. I think it is because growth and hormones at that age range can really vary from one person to the next. From a parenting perspective, it is a really big change which makes it challenging, but I love seeing my kid and her friends go through this. It happens so quickly compared to other parts of childhood, and it is amazing seeing them become the people they may be when they are adults. Anyhow, most of them (even the more mature of them) still seem to have random energized super silly moments not encountered in most adults. Some even still have impulse control issues, but to be fair? Plenty of adults retain that. None of the characters (so far) seem to have unrealistic behaviors for their ages.
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2020, 05:15 by BlueFatima »

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #108 on: 10 Dec 2020, 05:52 »

I mean, yeah. On one of those levels is the fact that the ass is a literal object that they made. That's absurdist as hell, which I find funny. But I also see this as more vaudeville than lustful.
I see what you’re saying, but I think what makes me uncomfortable is that it’s an object they made for a sentient being. It’s now part of Millefeulle. At what point does it stop being an ass they made and start being a Millefeulle’s ass?
It'll always be an ass they participated in making, but how much of her ass is their handiwork.. It is, always was---always will be---her ass. Unless she disowns it. Or it's repossessed?
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #109 on: 10 Dec 2020, 08:07 »

For the moment, I'm reading this as an admiration for the mechanics, rather than anything romantic, as well, really.

The ship may be on the stocks, but it might be a little early to launch, still. Besides, what kind of relationship could ensue if I like how you are mechanically put together, and want to literally take you apart and put you back together again is about the level of the most amazing experience for one of the partners? If I were were Millefeuille, that might be a slightly disconcerting, if not downright creepy, idea.
What was Amanda's quote that one time? "That was the day I learned there's no way you can remove your head from inside another girl's thigh in a nonchalant manner"?

Doesn't sound quite right.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #110 on: 10 Dec 2020, 10:19 »

When was that bucket last cleaned?
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #111 on: 10 Dec 2020, 10:38 »

Sooooh ... HMS Bruille it is then?

"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!
« Reply #112 on: 10 Dec 2020, 12:53 »

I can relate to Brun's reaction.  I went to college for massage therapy ages ago, partly because I'm fascinated by anatomy, and there was an optional class where there was an opportunity to visit a neighbouring college for a cadaver lab.  I have to say...  it's one thing to read about body parts in a book, and another to see them up close in person.  I think I freaked out my classmates by being so interested in it.

Christophelous

• Plantmonster
  • Burninate
« Reply #113 on: 10 Dec 2020, 13:44 »

Besides, what kind of relationship could ensue if I like how you are mechanically put together, and want to literally take you apart and put you back together again is about the level of the most amazing experience for one of the partners? If I were were Millefeuille, that might be a slightly disconcerting, if not downright creepy, idea.

Sure, that could be serial killer levels of creepy, but this is Brun we're talking about. She's... got a giant harpoon... Nah.........

You can admire the artist's work while still accepting enjoying your ownership of said work. I've never had a tattoo, but I feel there's good parallels there, since the skin could arguably be as important an organ as the butt.

The thing I wanted to point is that it's very not human in the sense that the... what did they call it, lubricant?... is likely all contained in that black pipe. In a human, with a surgery like that, it's a bloody procedure at the best of times. This is very tame in comparison, but I bet it was a much different story when that injury initially happened. If I recall, there was a lot of squelching and squishing. It's understandable that they wanted the bucket around as a "catch-all" policy
When it comes to evaluating phallus quality, I will defer to your greater experience.  -Bubbles, comic 3502

Gyrre

« Reply #114 on: 10 Dec 2020, 17:57 »

I think this is the most emotion we've ever seen Brun show.
The most expressive. The most emotion was page 3235 row 3 frame 2.
[want to literally take you apart and put you back together again] might be a slightly disconcerting, if not downright creepy, idea.

Only if I'm getting repairs and replacements.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #115 on: 10 Dec 2020, 18:21 »

Comic's up.

Yes, I'd want to watch that as well, it sounds very interesting! Also, Millie's blush in the first panel is adorable :)

Only if I'm getting repairs and replacements.

I've always wanted a third arm.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #116 on: 10 Dec 2020, 18:52 »

Who knew Brun had such a wide range of facial expressions?

And why do I feel like the voltage test is going to go wrong somehow?

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #117 on: 10 Dec 2020, 19:22 »

Poor Milly. And excited Brun is cute. :D

Gyrre

« Reply #118 on: 10 Dec 2020, 20:45 »

I can relate to Brun's reaction.  I went to college for massage therapy ages ago, partly because I'm fascinated by anatomy, and there was an optional class where there was an opportunity to visit a neighbouring college for a cadaver lab.  I have to say...  it's one thing to read about body parts in a book, and another to see them up close in person.  I think I freaked out my classmates by being so interested in it.

As long as you're not trying to stitch any parts together in an attempt to make the perfect human, you're doing better thana certain Italian-Swiss medical student.
a real-ass gaddam sword

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #119 on: 10 Dec 2020, 23:25 »

Well, that's Brillie holed below the waterline and taking on water fast! I don't know about anyone else, but I would probably feel uncomfortable going beyond 'friend' with someone who is a lot more interested in my internal anatomy than they are with being there for me during a difficult moment!

All credit to Brun for trying to maintain her interest in Millifeulle's well-being but it still is what it is.
~~~~

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #120 on: 11 Dec 2020, 00:23 »

Of course holed below the waterline, that's what happens if you launch before finishing the planking.

Brun may have come with the intention to do the right thing and be supportive, and she makes an effort, when she remembers, but really it's just showing her fascination with mechanics. So I'm afraid it doesn't even show much of character development, really, beyond showing Brun in her element.

I imagine before her apartment burnt down, it'd be ticking with synchronised clocks, and probably one in the progress of dis- or re-assembling on the table. And a couple lined up, in dire need of some care. (Not at all like the watch waiting under its dome at the other end of my desk, no. Not at all. Really. :roll:)
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #121 on: 11 Dec 2020, 00:44 »

And one set a couple of minutes early so she has a warning for when all the others chime at once.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Tyr

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #122 on: 11 Dec 2020, 00:56 »

I imagine before her apartment burnt down, it'd be ticking with synchronised clocks, and probably one in the progress of dis- or re-assembling on the table. And a couple lined up, in dire need of some care. (Not at all like the watch waiting under its dome at the other end of my desk, no. Not at all. Really. :roll:)

Brun has mentioned that too many clocks are a bad thing:
"Too many clocks means too much timekeeping. That way lies madness. Endless weight and pendulum adjustment. Ticks sliding in and out of phase with each other. Eventually you start talking to your clocks. Eventually, they start talking back."
Just going through life.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #123 on: 11 Dec 2020, 01:12 »

Sounds like she's speaking from experience, though.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #124 on: 11 Dec 2020, 01:17 »

So, will Brun turn out to be Emmett Brown or Gabriel Grey/Sylar?
~~~~

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #125 on: 11 Dec 2020, 01:23 »

Jeremy Clockson?

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #126 on: 11 Dec 2020, 03:39 »

Brun has mentioned that too many clocks are a bad thing:
"Too many clocks means too much timekeeping. That way lies madness. Endless weight and pendulum adjustment. Ticks sliding in and out of phase with each other. Eventually you start talking to your clocks. Eventually, they start talking back."
You mean tocking back, right? :claireface:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Killspree

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #127 on: 11 Dec 2020, 04:01 »

Took me a minute to realize what I was thinking.

Brun also really likes clocks and how all the little bit go together and work properly.

Marco

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Not quite an earthling
« Reply #128 on: 11 Dec 2020, 06:24 »

I wish a human hip replacement was that easy. Relevant to me because I will probably need one in a few years.

But yeah, Jeph has gotten one thing right that most sci-fi tv “androids” get wrong: to look at all human-like, the android body would need something that moves the same way muscle does. The way Star Trek showed Data having circuits and wires just below the skin wouldn’t look anything like a human body.

But do the myomer need to be flesh-coloured? It serves no purpose than to make some organic people faint at the sight of it...

Marco

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Not quite an earthling
« Reply #129 on: 11 Dec 2020, 06:31 »

But what if "I put you back together, but there's this one little piece left and I don't know what it does"?

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #130 on: 11 Dec 2020, 08:33 »

But what if "I put you back together, but there's this one little piece left and I don't know what it does"?
Hmm, looks like it's the skull. Dang, and I already assembled the whole head; it would be such a pain to take it all apart again...you know what, you'll be fine. Probably isn't that big of a deal. *tosses skull away*

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #131 on: 11 Dec 2020, 09:41 »

Eh, it's just impact protection. Smack a helmet on, itll be fine.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #132 on: 11 Dec 2020, 09:44 »

Eh, it's just impact protection. Smack a helmet on, itll be fine.
Also, it's apparently really bad if they break, so you're probably better off without it anyway.

Dock Braun

• Curry sauce
  • Wear a mask.
« Reply #133 on: 11 Dec 2020, 10:26 »

There's obviously a great deal of trust, and skill, that would go into it---just like BDSM; There's some sophisticated BDSM out there.
BDSM awry, may lead to the hospital---If Brille sails that way: Union Robotics.
I wonder if Millie has this kink.

I wonder if I have that kink. I certainly love observing my own medical procedures. I figured it was because I didn't want them to slip something in without me knowing, but I have found it fascinating, too.
Trouble with the world isn't too many people―it's too many bodies. ---Professor E. Kingswater

Christophelous

• Plantmonster
  • Burninate
« Reply #134 on: 11 Dec 2020, 12:34 »

To all those lamenting that "this ship has sailed" please remember that love is a choice. You can be fascinated by someone, infatuated with them, or even enthralled by their sheer charisma, and it would not be love unless there was a free and active choice being made to cultivate and grow that relationship.

Brun being fascinated by Millie's body does not preclude a later relationship. If anything, Brun's active choice to be there for her friend when she's obviously fascinated by the less "morally supportive" aspects of being there shows that she's making the decision to build this relationship. It's those decisions, including Millie's decision to let her observe the procedure, upon which relationships are founded. There's also nothing unhealthy about her fascination. That sort of fascination is what drives innovation, so the robot chassis would not be around if it weren't for that fascination.
When it comes to evaluating phallus quality, I will defer to your greater experience.  -Bubbles, comic 3502

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #135 on: 11 Dec 2020, 14:45 »

This is going to be that thing Galvani did to the frog, right? I guess it's for Sam's benefit. Or is there a reason to think the myomer has been damaged since last seen?
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #136 on: 11 Dec 2020, 14:53 »

It could also be a simple test to prove the myomer is reacting as expected, and not somehow deficient, before putting it all back together again.  It would be more than a little annoying to get rebuilt and then have to undergo all this again to fix something that should have been caught the last time...
This space intentionally left almost blank.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #137 on: 11 Dec 2020, 15:35 »

Probably just a check to make sure that they didn't damage the myomer during the procedure.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #138 on: 11 Dec 2020, 16:34 »

Or all of the above. Could also be a function check, if they’re using Millefeuille’s own systems to apply the current.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #139 on: 11 Dec 2020, 16:51 »

Quote from: Marco

Ask Merrill Bainbridge.

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Dock Braun

• Curry sauce
  • Wear a mask.
« Reply #140 on: 11 Dec 2020, 21:59 »

Brun being fascinated by Millie's body does not preclude a later relationship. If anything, Brun's active choice to be there for her friend when she's obviously fascinated by the less "morally supportive" aspects of being there shows that she's making the decision to build this relationship. It's those decisions, including Millie's decision to let her observe the procedure, upon which relationships are founded. There's also nothing unhealthy about her fascination. That sort of fascination is what drives innovation, so the robot chassis would not be around if it weren't for that fascination.
There are many pernicious, I think, practices, surrounding dating. Assigning a negative value to showing interest in the body, is among them. My favourite intimate relationships, were with partners, who---mind and body---were interesting and interested. Not necessarily sexually. The interest in the body, enhanced interest in the mind, by having us together more. I think it's a hasty criterion, of not showing enough interest in the mind, before body.
Perhaps they're in a rush to be mentally intimate with someone. In some cases, that may be reasonable, but I suspect that in many cases, it's that they're inexperienced, about living alone.
Trouble with the world isn't too many people―it's too many bodies. ---Professor E. Kingswater

Gyrre

« Reply #141 on: 12 Dec 2020, 01:42 »

I wish a human hip replacement was that easy. Relevant to me because I will probably need one in a few years.

But yeah, Jeph has gotten one thing right that most sci-fi tv “androids” get wrong: to look at all human-like, the android body would need something that moves the same way muscle does. The way Star Trek showed Data having circuits and wires just below the skin wouldn’t look anything like a human body.

But do the myomer need to be flesh-coloured? It serves no purpose than to make some organic people faint at the sight of it...

Hmmm......I suppose it would depend on the material used to create the myomer and how easy it is to dye along with the pricing of said dye(s). If memory serves, some plastics have a weird semi-flesh like color to them prior to dying.
a real-ass gaddam sword

awkwardness

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #142 on: 12 Dec 2020, 11:46 »

I feel for Millie here, but I'm glad that she understands Brun well enough to not be offended that Brun wanted to see the operation after she made it clear that she would forgo it just to support Millie. It's subtle, but it shows friendship and understanding even if a little disappointed...so, like any other friendship.

Sexual tension might be there, but I'm seeing something more that's coming out.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up