Fun Stuff > ENJOY

I just watched (x television show here)

<< < (2/17) > >>

Thrillho:
I find this very interesting, because for me Seinfeld is one of the least funny comedians of his stature I have ever seen, while the show makes me scream with laughter.

And for what it's worth yes, the one joke is they're assholea - it's the one joke in It's Always Sunny as well and that's literally my favourite show.

dutchrvl:
Oh I meant the show btw, Seinfeld himself as a stand-up comedian is just meh for me. I'm more a Chris Rock, Bill Burr, Ronny Chieng (especially him) fan.

Little tangent: about 5-10 years ago they made a Dutch version of Everybody loves Raymond, using more or less the exact format and humor, and everybody pretty much hated the show, because that type of humor and delivery just does not work in NL.

Similarly, I'm certain making English versions of Dutch comedy shows would absolutely not work unless you adjust jokes and delivery to the culture.

oddtail:
I don't particularly like It's Always Sunny either, but I've found it funny enough when I watched some of it. Or at least I see where the jokes are, even if I don't think they land *that* well. But there's a difference between "it's not that funny to me, personally" and "OK, where's the actual joke in this scene?", which is why "Seinfeld" puzzles me so much.

I'll also admit, I typically don't particularly enjoy comedy built around people being assholes. It can work (I found Eric Cartman to be hilarious back when, for some reason, I still thought South Park was worth watching), but I don't really find sociopathy inherently comedic. I need some kind of context to make it funny, and "Seinfeld" just reads to me low-key enough that there's no inherent humour in it for me.

I've met people like the cast of "Seinfeld" and nothing about what I see on screen is particularly absurd or out there. So it's possible I'm oblivious to some nuance, but their behaviour reads to me like "assholes exist; isn't it funny that people treat others like shit?". Watching people being thoughtless and awful (again, in a way that registers as fairly realistic) is a combination of annoying and depressing, not funny. They're not witty about it either, in a way I could understand. More like petty and self-absorbed. Which again, I don't find incongruous enough to be a joke.

Thrillho:
I think I understand what you mean.

I've never lived in the US. I don't know people like the Seinfeld cast.

You know what show I do hate, though? The Inbetweeners. Those guys, I know plenty of.

oddtail:
That's interesting, because "The Inbetweeners", while by no means among my favourite shows, I found to be north of the average in terms of being entertaining (and funny too, most of the time).

So maybe that's it, maybe "Seinfeld" just registers to me as too normal and therefore I miss what's supposed to be off about the situations.

EDIT: note that I've also never lived in, or even been to, the US. But I've met the general personality types of "Seinfeld" main cast, or at least close-ish approximations thereof.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version