THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dora is essentially dating female Sven  (Read 11976 times)

QuestionableIntentions

• Obscure cultural reference
Dora is essentially dating female Sven
« on: 09 Dec 2020, 14:05 »

Others probably figured this out way before me, but I just realised Tai is essentially Sven in female form.

She coasts through life, had many different sex partners,is a chaotic boss, does music and has even hit on Faye.

The only difference is that she managed to date her love interest.

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Re: Dora is essentially dating female Sven
« Reply #1 on: 09 Dec 2020, 19:10 »

I think a more significant difference is that Tai has been looking for a long term monogamous relationship for almost as long as we've seen her.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #2 on: 09 Dec 2020, 23:51 »

Also, their personalities seem quite different.

I’m sure that the set of people sharing the attributes you’ve listed has many distinct members.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2020, 05:04 »

There's a major difference: Tai is looking for someone to settle down with; Sven is under no such delusion and is just out to keep his wick wet.  (I grant that maybe this last statement is a wee bit of an overstatement, especially as Sven seems to be finally beginning to understand he might enjoy a long-term committed relationship.  Maybe even with May.  But that certainly describes his overt behavior to date.)

Tai also has issues about who she is sexually and her reaction to her own anatomy - moreso than many women I've known.  Sven has none of these concerns.

So based on those differences, I must disagree.
This space intentionally left almost blank.

BlueFatima

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2020, 14:03 »

Others probably figured this out way before me, but I just realised Tai is essentially Sven in female form.

She coasts through life, had many different sex partners,is a chaotic boss, does music and has even hit on Faye.

The only difference is that she managed to date her love interest.

They have similarities, but Tai strikes me as way more down to Earth. She also seemed a lot less impulsive when another’s feelings are on the line. Even back when she was bed-hopping, she struck me as more considerate about the “campsite rule” with her hookups. Sven—while lazy—comes off as more Type A. He has a manager and makes lots of income. While he does have luck, that kind of success requires some work and attempts to gain business knowledge along the way. It is way easy to get screwed in the music industry.

Tai always recognized how she was, but she carried a massive flame for Dora and settled down when they ended up together. This shows she doesn’t have emotional issues that got in the way of her enjoying a healthy LTR. Sven isn’t quite there yet. He seems to be trying to work on himself though, and he seems a lot more thoughtful than he once was. Probably not ready to attach to anyone yet, though (although he was really kind to help out and be honest with May).

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2020, 14:09 »

I think a more significant difference is that Tai has been looking for a long term monogamous relationship for almost as long as we've seen her.

I think there was even a strip where she said she wasn’t sure poly was for her

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?
« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2020, 16:44 »

...(although he was really kind to help out and be honest with May).
I expect he saw more than a little of his own poor behavior in May's responses to him and a tiny bit of introspection after Faye left caused him to start reconsidering his behavior in general.  Then, after May gets a new hot body and demonstrates a willingness to resume their physical relationship, he discovers he's not willing to continue the way he was, especially after Momo's act of self-flagellation in front of them bolsters his own self-esteem a bit. 

My prediction is he and May will be getting together on the sly several times, while publicly avoiding each other and denying any liaisons, so May can validate her new orifice management software while Sven tries to figure out what he really wants.

Longer term, who knows?  I could see several possible endings.  The one I think most likely is Sven and May eventually go their own ways but intentionally and randomly use each other as sex objects and relationship enders, but never quit admit to themselves or each other that they really want a LTR together.  Kind of sad, but I've seen it IRL a few times.

I can also see Marigold kicking May out after Dale ogles once too often, and May intentionally setting Dale up with ogling opportunities, followed shortly thereafter by Marigold/Dale wedding before the Justice of the Peace.  But that's a ways off.   :-D

BlueFatima

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2020, 03:20 »

...(although he was really kind to help out and be honest with May).
I expect he saw more than a little of his own poor behavior in May's responses to him and a tiny bit of introspection after Faye left caused him to start reconsidering his behavior in general.  Then, after May gets a new hot body and demonstrates a willingness to resume their physical relationship, he discovers he's not willing to continue the way he was, especially after Momo's act of self-flagellation in front of them bolsters his own self-esteem a bit. 

My prediction is he and May will be getting together on the sly several times, while publicly avoiding each other and denying any liaisons, so May can validate her new orifice management software while Sven tries to figure out what he really wants.

Longer term, who knows?  I could see several possible endings.  The one I think most likely is Sven and May eventually go their own ways but intentionally and randomly use each other as sex objects and relationship enders, but never quit admit to themselves or each other that they really want a LTR together.  Kind of sad, but I've seen it IRL a few times.

I can also see Marigold kicking May out after Dale ogles once too often, and May intentionally setting Dale up with ogling opportunities, followed shortly thereafter by Marigold/Dale wedding before the Justice of the Peace.  But that's a ways off.   :-D

I am not sure about Sven’s and May’s direction together. That is one of the thing I love about this strip—it keeps you guessing about the characters. Even after they have moments of growth, they have slipups. That is how it often goes in RL. I could see Sven and May either not seeing each other anymore or becoming friends, but not hooking up. They have enough in common, but they both may benefit from being with people who are more grounded. Who knows? I think Dale will ignore May. She never really was his type, and I think that is the same—even with the taller and more voluptuous bod.

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?
« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2020, 04:50 »

She never really was his type, and I think that is the same—even with the taller and more voluptuous bod.
Agreed, though that wouldn't stop May from setting up an ogle-op for Dale just to see what would happen, or if she thought it would be funny.  And I could see Dale totally launching on May if Marigold caught him ogling and causing a major scene.  Whether there would be a major falling out between Dale and Marigold is questionable; I kinda doubt it - Marigold seems more relaxed after missing the fight with Emily. 

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2020, 05:43 »

There's a major difference: Tai is looking for someone to settle down with; Sven is under no such delusion and is just out to keep his wick wet.  (I grant that maybe this last statement is a wee bit of an overstatement, especially as Sven seems to be finally beginning to understand he might enjoy a long-term committed relationship.  Maybe even with May.  But that certainly describes his overt behavior to date.)

Tai also has issues about who she is sexually and her reaction to her own anatomy - moreso than many women I've known.  Sven has none of these concerns.

So based on those differences, I must disagree.

Wait, did Tai have issues vis-a-vis her reaction to her own anatomy? I don't seem to recall that, but it's been a while since I re-read the whole comic so I'm kinda hoping somebody could point me to that.

Anyhow, I do agree that there appear to be some superficial similarities between Tai and Sven, enough at least to make it noteworthy that Dora chose to be in a relationship with her.

With regards to Tai always having looked for a long-term relationship, this is of course true, but we don't know what Tai used to be like. Given Sven's general development and trending towards that direction as well, it's not difficult to fathom that Tai was just a couple years ahead emotionally in that sense compared to Sven.

Anyway, Sven has been more of an asshole than Tai, for sure, but let's not forget that Tai's initial behavior in the comic was also not exactly great (nonconsensual cuddles with Faye, openly fantasizing/ogling Dora with Marten around, etc.).

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2020, 13:58 »

Wait, did Tai have issues vis-a-vis her reaction to her own anatomy? I don't seem to recall that, but it's been a while since I re-read the whole comic so I'm kinda hoping somebody could point me to that.

I remember Tai mentioning once that she spent some time passing as a boy, and still binds her chest sometimes, but when Marten asked for clarification confirmed that she is definitely a lady.  That might be what OP is referring to?

"Should've seen me when I was passing as a boy"
"I'm definitely a lady."
Pages: [1]   Go Up