THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 4461-4465 (the 15th through 19th of February, 2021)  (Read 27498 times)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

Comic's up!

Faye actually being sympathetic to Clinton. Awww.

No poll, can't think of anything.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
Re: WCDT 4461-4465 (the 15th through 19th of February, 2021)
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2021, 19:27 »

I'm surprised that Clinton isn't annoyed at the fact that Claire blabbed about his romantic troubles to other people.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2021, 21:45 »

I'm surprised that Clinton isn't annoyed at the fact that Claire blabbed about his romantic troubles to other people.

And it really doesn't gel with the fact that he's suddenly not okay with coming out to his mother. Does he think that she'll not be okay with him being bi? In which case, why is he okay with Claire gossiping about his bisexuality to whomever she can't keep her mouth shut around?
And if he's not comfortable coming out to his mother, then why oh why did he ask Elliott on a date to that exact setting?

I'm also confused by the implication that he forgot or hasn't thought about asking Elliott on a date during his whole time with Willow, since he only asked about an hour ago in comic time, and I can't believe Willow wouldn't ask him about potential future dates with Elliott, considering how hard she ships those two.

awkwardness

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2021, 22:29 »

yet more reason why I dislike Faye...she just doesn't get it. I hope that the next strip at least tries to redeem her faux pas because she's becoming hard to find likeable no matter how much the others are used to soften her

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2021, 22:33 »

yet more reason why I dislike Faye...she just doesn't get it. I hope that the next strip at least tries to redeem her faux pas because she's becoming hard to find likeable no matter how much the others are used to soften her

What faux pas? Not knowing about the dinner? Literally nothing she said in this strip was inappropriate.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2021, 22:53 »

Their mom is the only one in that family with any chill whatsoever, and I suspect it's taken years and/or a fair amount of mild drugs to acquire that.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2021, 23:13 »

I think that when you already have a negative disposition towards someone, it’s very easy to cast future actions in a negative light. Is there a way to cast what Faye said in a positive light? I think maybe there is.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2021, 23:25 »

Clinton had probably not thought past "I'm considering dating a guy" even so far as putting a new label on himself, let alone to the "coming out" stage of things.  A brief moment of panic is completely in keeping with Clinton's utter lack of chill.  He'll probably realize he's being silly tomorrow (or Faye might tell him based on things she's heard from Claire that he's got nothing to worry about because his mom's chill.)

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #8 on: 14 Feb 2021, 23:31 »

I think that when you already have a negative disposition towards someone, it’s very easy to cast future actions in a negative light. Is there a way to cast what Faye said in a positive light? I think maybe there is.

She was commiserating.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Gyrre

« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2021, 02:14 »

Comic's up!

Faye actually being sympathetic to Clinton. Awww.

No poll, can't think of anything.

Neither could I, so no worries.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

somnolesence

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 2021, 05:48 »

Ok so we have a vague timeline of Faye coming out to her mother just few days ago in comic time. I can't remember how long ago that was in real time but it feels like forever ago.

Then again last year has felt like an eternity for other reasons.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #11 on: 15 Feb 2021, 07:19 »

I’m so grateful Jeph is keeping the comic COVID free, tho it does highlight that he’s less interested in bio sci fi than technological. As far as we know, the yeast used for baking, how to treat Marigold’s acne, the psych meds Hanners takes, etc are all the same as in our world. The only big biomedical difference we’ve see is Clinton’s prosthetic hand.

Heck, people still wear glasses, and not just for VR.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #12 on: 15 Feb 2021, 09:36 »

TBH, when my vision starts to deteriorate, I'll deal with glasses/contacts, unless surgery was the only option to prevent blindness.  I do *not* want my eyeballs cut/lasered/replaced.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #13 on: 15 Feb 2021, 12:01 »

Gosh, I'd love to get my eyes lasered. Alas for a lack of funds!

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #14 on: 15 Feb 2021, 12:38 »

Hard same.

It just seems like I’m a future where there’s AI, something cheap and nutritionally dense like Soylent would be available. It’s weird to me that foodways haven’t changed significantly.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #15 on: 15 Feb 2021, 12:43 »

Perhaps they have, but it just isn't mentioned? For all we know, all the food IS Soylent, just burrito/pizza/apple/etc shaped.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #16 on: 15 Feb 2021, 15:09 »

IIRC, even with the lasers, there are usually scalpels involved, in order to prep the eye.  I *really* don’t like the idea of them being fucked with, even applying eyeliner required forcing myself.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #17 on: 15 Feb 2021, 15:17 »

Lasering your eyes might be useful when you are reasonably young, but when you get old, the bigger problem is lack of accommodation, which it can do nothing about.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #18 on: 15 Feb 2021, 16:05 »

I really don’t know what’s likely to happen as I grow older, except expecting some deterioration.  I’m still better than 20/20, so it’s off my list of problems right now.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #19 on: 15 Feb 2021, 16:21 »

Last time I was at the eye doctor, she told me that my vision had actually improved... but she said it's common for nearsighted people in their thirties, and is a sign you'll need bifocals in the future as your near sight decays. So there's that.

As for lasering, I'm an atomic physicist who works with lasers all the time and you can keep those things the hell away from my eyes.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #20 on: 15 Feb 2021, 18:27 »

Comic's up.

Off you go Clinton. Step outside your comfort zone, etc.

Eversist

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #21 on: 15 Feb 2021, 18:32 »

I recognize how difficult figure drawing is (having done it myself for a couple of years), and that Jeph's style has simplified over the years to allow him to get the comic out more efficiently...

But with Willow showing up and having a similar physique to Faye, I just gotta say as a lady with larger honkers... their honkers are redonk. They are very round. And I want their bras IRL. Forgive me.

As for what's going on in the comic right now... I'm glad Clinton could get what he needed from Faye. Yay, character growth!

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #22 on: 15 Feb 2021, 18:42 »

I love how Faye goes from supportive to crass. *lol* Never change.

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #23 on: 15 Feb 2021, 18:48 »

That last expression on Clinton   :laugh:

Faye hasn't changed has she? Regardless of how good her advice may be, she just can't resist that last-panel (deliberately) tasteless reply!  :-D
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #24 on: 15 Feb 2021, 18:57 »

I recognize how difficult figure drawing is (having done it myself for a couple of years), and that Jeph's style has simplified over the years to allow him to get the comic out more efficiently...

But with Willow showing up and having a similar physique to Faye, I just gotta say as a lady with larger honkers... their honkers are redonk. They are very round. And I want their bras IRL. Forgive me.

As for what's going on in the comic right now... I'm glad Clinton could get what he needed from Faye. Yay, character growth!

It’s not even their bras it’s their goddamn tank tops. There’s no double straps there.  :x

ETA: maybe the non robot innovations have all been in textiles, and we missed that everyone’s shirts and whatever have incredible tensile strength.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #25 on: 15 Feb 2021, 18:58 »

Faye hasn't changed has she? Regardless of how good her advice may be, she just can't resist that last-panel (deliberately) tasteless reply!  ;D

She's basically channeling Marten when she went to him for advice re. Bubbles: Fuckin' go for it, buddy. :D

awkwardness

« Reply #26 on: 15 Feb 2021, 19:29 »

Faye saved herself from the last strip's faux pas(and yes, it's a faux pas) but she really needs to stop it with her snarky jokes when there's no need for them. I know it's a defense mechanism because she hates being vulnerable, but it's still not a good thing to do!

I think Faye seriously needs to talk with her psychologist again, but then again I'm sensitive to actions like that.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #27 on: 15 Feb 2021, 19:37 »

I don't get it. Since when is, "I came out to my mom the other night" snark? It was a moment of actual honesty and vulnerability. The exact opposite of snark. Are you sure you're not letting your preconceptions of Faye colour your reading?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

SeattleCrochetWoman

• Plantmonster
« Reply #28 on: 15 Feb 2021, 21:38 »

Faye saved herself from the last strip's faux pas(and yes, it's a faux pas) but she really needs to stop it with her snarky jokes when there's no need for them. I know it's a defense mechanism because she hates being vulnerable, but it's still not a good thing to do!

I think Faye seriously needs to talk with her psychologist again, but then again I'm sensitive to actions like that.

I’m having trouble figuring out what the faux pas was. Unless it was mentioning what Claire had said? (Which Claire should not have done.)

Eversist

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #29 on: 15 Feb 2021, 22:55 »

Yeah, the faux pas feels like it's on Claire outing Clinton. Did Claire tell Faye to keep it hush-hush?

Edit: No
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2021, 23:07 by Eversist »

Gyrre

« Reply #30 on: 15 Feb 2021, 23:20 »

Last time I was at the eye doctor, she told me that my vision had actually improved... but she said it's common for nearsighted people in their thirties, and is a sign you'll need bifocals in the future as your near sight decays. So there's that.

As for lasering, I'm an atomic physicist who works with lasers all the time and you can keep those things the hell away from my eyes.

Thankfully my near-sightedness has stayed relatively stable thus far.  Granted, I've been told that my right eye compensates just enough for my left that I can avoid bifocals. So I'm probably doomed to get them anyways.

At least my color vision is still insanely good for my age[1]. I miss being able to so far into infrared and ultraviolet sometimes[2].

[1]currently on par with a 14/15 year old's despite being 35.
[2] except when dealing with LEDs. Those make me wish I were colorblind.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gyrre

« Reply #31 on: 15 Feb 2021, 23:23 »

Faye hasn't changed has she? Regardless of how good her advice may be, she just can't resist that last-panel (deliberately) tasteless reply!  :-D

That's absolutely got to be one of the new avatar options.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier
« Reply #32 on: 16 Feb 2021, 09:00 »

I had LASIK some 20 years ago.

It was really, really scary, and I had a hard time not squirming around the whole time. They were literally cutting my eyes open.

For about 10 years, I had perfect vision without glasses. This was a huge improvement over the  ~20/500 vision I had before. Eventually, I developed myopia again, and I'm back to wearing glasses constantly. It was still worth it, since my current -1.25 (about 20/50) is much better than before, and means I can make out quite a lot without glasses if I need to.

These days I have to deal with presbyopia, with is an entirely different PITA.

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier
« Reply #33 on: 16 Feb 2021, 09:20 »

Lasering your eyes might be useful when you are reasonably young, but when you get old, the bigger problem is lack of accommodation, which it can do nothing about.

This is no longer true. But the solution's really, really drastic.

Presbyopia - which I have, since I'm 56 - happens because your lenses are no longer as flexible. When you get cataract surgery, they remove the lens entirely, and replace it with an artificial lens. The replacement lenses don't flex at all, but you can now get lenses that are essentially like progressive lenses for eyeglasses. They have a smoothly varying range of focal distances based on the angle.

This means to change focal distance, you need to subtly change where you're looking. I have a hard time visualizing how this works, honestly. I have progressive lenses, but those work by changing which part of the lens you're looking through. Look straight ahead, you're looking through the distance part of the lens. Look down, and you're looking through the near-focus part of the lens. The multifocal Interocular Lenses (IOLs) move with your eyes, so you have to, what, look away from what you're trying to see?

I imagine there are also weird optical effects. Progressive lenses have all sorts of weird distortions at the corners that are quite distracting when you first start wearing them. After a while your brain re-adjusts how it processes what's coming from the eyes. Now everything appears normal to me, no distortions at all, which means my brain is now correcting everything at some pre-conscious level.

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier
« Reply #34 on: 16 Feb 2021, 09:35 »

To return to the comic:

I've never really understood what straight women and gay men find appealing about diiiiiicks. I know Clinton is probably thinking "way to ruin the mood by being crass," but I tend to filter that as "ugh, I'm going to be on the receiving end of a dick, gross." I feel like I'm un-deservedly lucky that women want anything to do with my male body.

Eversist

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #35 on: 16 Feb 2021, 12:06 »

... but I tend to filter that as "ugh, I'm going to be on the receiving end of a dick, gross." I feel like I'm un-deservedly lucky that women want anything to do with my male body.

I mean, if anything this just means (to me, anyway) you're super straight, lmao.

Penises are weird, but so are vulvas! So *big shrug* we're all weird!!! And in a way that means none of us are. #SyndromeWasRight
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2021, 12:20 by Eversist »

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #36 on: 16 Feb 2021, 12:41 »

A good friend of mine ended up getting hers reduced early last year, before Covid hit really hard.  Before that, her bras required infrastructure like cantilevers or flying buttresses or something.  She’s obviously much happier now.

Scarlet Manuka

« Reply #37 on: 16 Feb 2021, 14:53 »

I seem to be just hitting the far side of that (and I'm 47, so it's not surprising) - the last few months I've started needing to take my glasses off to read small print up close. So I suspect I'll be joining the multi-focal community soon. My wife's a few years older, and got hers a few years ago. Though she also needs to get hearing aids*, which I hope I can avoid for a while yet.

Had to reference this: Can we please stop talking about the frailty and inevitable failure of the human body
(took me a while to find that comic, I was thinking it was relatively recent but it was the best part of three years ago. Which I suppose is relatively recent in QC terms :))

* really only one, because she's been completely deaf in one ear all her life. It seems like that ought to make it cheaper, yet somehow it doesn't.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #38 on: 16 Feb 2021, 16:41 »

What faux pas? Not knowing about the dinner? Literally nothing she said in this strip was inappropriate.

Seconded?  :psyduck:
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

badbum61

• I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #39 on: 16 Feb 2021, 17:22 »

Faye...she's becoming hard to find likeable

Quote from: jeph
Hold my beer

Quote from: Faye
Now go get that diiiiiiick!
What the hell are YOU staring at?

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #40 on: 16 Feb 2021, 18:16 »

Comic's up.

Understandable reaction, but I don't like the lake pollution. Now the fish are getting unsolicited d*ck pics as well!

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #41 on: 16 Feb 2021, 18:29 »

Thar poor lake.
 :lol:

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #42 on: 16 Feb 2021, 18:43 »

I've never felt the urge to send a dick pic.  I've sent a couple that were requested, but never have I thought, "Oh, this woman I don't know and will 99% likely never meet in person swiped right on me as well, she obviously wants to see my junk!".  It's not even something I had to be told not to do--when I first learned it was a thing, I had to stop and ask myself, are there really guys who are that stupid out there?  Over the years, it turns out that yes, there are, and there are far too many of them, going by the numerous times it comes up.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #43 on: 16 Feb 2021, 18:49 »

Hmm.  I sent someone pics of people who are named Dick.  I must have been doing it wrong.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #44 on: 16 Feb 2021, 18:58 »

It's not that dudes think the woman wants to see it, it's a power thing. They get off on forcing on to people, on making them uncomfortable.
@syleegrrl

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #45 on: 16 Feb 2021, 19:00 »

Hmm.  I sent someone pics of people who are named Dick.  I must have been doing it wrong.

Edit— just realized that if that animal’s genitalia were visible, it would be a dik-dik dick pic.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #46 on: 16 Feb 2021, 19:03 »

"... and this post constitutes the last coherent, legible utterance on the - at the times - obscure webforum now identified at the epicentre of the global catastrophe variously dubbed 'The Great Silly', 'TILT!' or 'Babbel 2021' that has disrupted, fractured and balkanized the Internet as we knew it before February 17th, 2021.

Report of the 2035 Special Investigative Congressional Committee into the events of February 17th, 2021."
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier
« Reply #47 on: 16 Feb 2021, 20:28 »

Part and parcel of my earlier comment is that I've never even considered sending a dick pick. Because, y'know, who wants to see that?

Gyrre

« Reply #48 on: 16 Feb 2021, 20:47 »

Anyone else looking forward to seeing how Iris responds to the call?

[I'm also looking forward to having double digit temperatures Friday. Kind of sad when you look at the forecast and think 'Oh wow! 32°F/0°C, that'll be nice!']
a real-ass gaddam sword

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #49 on: 16 Feb 2021, 21:55 »

Presumably Iris and Yemisi would be used to her using other people's phones to call them by now. So Clinton isn't in THAT much trouble.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up