THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Apr 2024, 09:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tablets!  (Read 13440 times)

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
Tablets!
« on: 21 Feb 2021, 02:59 »

I think the time has come for me to finally get a new tablet. I've been using a Nexus 7 with a half-broken screen for years, and now the power button is on the blink. Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement?

I tend to mostly use it it for YouTube/Netflix/Amazon/D+ and WhatsApp, though that's probably a result of the screen being broken. I'll also use it for taking notes or researching something when I'm not at at my desk, though I only use WiFi on it because it doesn't have a SIM slot, and I don't particularly miss it. I don't take many photos with it, probably because the camera isn't that good, but maybe if there was a better camera I'd use it. I used to play a fair few games on it, before the screen broke, but nothing particularly intensive. I've been thinking of getting a smartphone to replace it and my dumbphone, but I think I prefer having a dumbphone and a tablet with a larger screen for videos rather than a middle-sized smartphone.

More generally, we have a PC thread, and a console thread, but no tablet thread. So here's a tablet thread.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
Re: Tablets!
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2021, 04:33 »

I’ve never had a tablet, and it has been ages since I’ve used anything Android, but IME, Samsung has generally been good about being reliable, and doing what people need to do, and also not having to deal with Apple-level of markup.

I’m not sure if there *is* one that would really fit what I’d want one for.  Ideally, I’d like something with an e-ink display that’s responsive for note-taking and basic sketching that actually has reliable hardware.

"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2021, 05:58 »

I have two tablets and a Chromebook. Hint: the tablets are for me and the Mrs., and they both have a piece of fruit with a bite taken out on the back.

With the exception of the ads on the main site I have to deal with in Safari/FF/Chrome, I’m okay with it.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2021, 09:27 »

If I were looking for a generic tablet, that’s where I’d be going as well, personally.  Then again, since my primary phone and computer are already in the Apple ecosystem, it’d be the most convenient for me, especially since, in a pinch, it could be shoe-horned into acting as a budget “Cintiq”.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut
Pages: [1]   Go Up