Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DOTT  (Read 16458 times)

Shaft

• Obscure cultural reference
    • Bass Cleft
DOTT
« on: 19 Jan 2005, 09:35 »

Does anyone remember playing the fantastic Lucasarts game "Day Of The Tentacle"? *remenisces* I would rant about it but I wouldn't know where to start! It is available for download but that would be illegal so I'm not telling you where... I don't even know... "Coughs*... Anyway... Yeah!
Quote from: tommydski
i realise that i am slightly buzzed on coffee in the toliets of a boeing 737 rubbing a wet rock on myself. if you've ever had a similar moment of clarity i think you may be able to relate to the feeling.

torg

DOTT
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2005, 10:55 »

i never had a chance to play it completey... a friend of mine had it, but he always managed to fuck up my floppy discs, so i never had it on my own machine and could only play, when at his place...*g*

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
DOTT
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2005, 15:20 »

That was one of my favorite games of all time.  Adventure games were one of the best genres of games, but now they don't seem to make them anymore...

Preparing a mummy for a human show by giving it big fake lips, a laughing voicebox and a head full of spaghetti may be one of the most awesome things I've done in a game.

Sam and Max Hit the Road, The Bizarre Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble, and King's Quest VII were also really good.  (The puzzles in Woodruff were freaking insane, though)
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
DOTT
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2005, 04:17 »

What, no mention of Monkey Island?

"You fight like a dairy farmer!"
Actions speak louder than words, especially if you have a giant moon laser.

Quote from: Tearon
There's something really freakish about you, ya know that? In a good way.

torg

DOTT
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2005, 04:37 »

*sighs dreamily* monkey island was just GREAT!

Trinary

• Emoticontraindication
DOTT
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2005, 10:15 »

Quote from: wraithzero
"You fight like a dairy farmer!"

How appropriate.  You fight like a cow.
UNF.

Phrozen

DOTT
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2005, 10:39 »

Actually I believe that DOTT falls under the listing of abandonware which means that you could download it and nobody would care.

3Z3VH

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • WoSaT
    • http://www.everlan.net
DOTT
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2005, 11:11 »

Wasn't this a sequel to Maniac Mansion ?
With every small decision: if you change a heart, you change the world.

torg

DOTT
« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2005, 11:23 »

correct... and it even included maniac manson...

Rune

DOTT
« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2005, 13:23 »

I think I own most, if not all, of the old LucasArts point and click games. Sam And Max was my favorite, but DOTT and the first two Monkey Islands were both extremely close.

In fact, I think I should dig them out and play one of them (or The Dig, which I never finished) now...

Hoborg

DOTT
« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2005, 13:52 »

You can run these games nowadays in windows/OSX/linux using ScummVM. I'm not sure where you can get the actual games, though.

emor

DOTT
« Reply #11 on: 23 Jan 2005, 20:54 »

The era of decent LucasArts adventure games is definately a golden era of some sort.

Dott, of course, and Sam And Max.  Also, the love you get from playing Indiana Jones: The Fate of Atlantis is palpable.  And Full Thottle is another absolute delight.

Did anyone play Monkey Island 4?  Boy wasn't that an atrocity.

lazarus18

DOTT
« Reply #12 on: 23 Jan 2005, 21:27 »

Man, I loved the Indy Jones game. But I remember being INCREDIBLY frustrated by some bug involving three stone wheel thingies you needed. They were where they belonged in two of the modes (there were fighting, partner up with the girl, or puzzle mode IIRC) and in one of those modes some bug kept the stupid things from existing. Very sad.

-Rob

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
DOTT
« Reply #13 on: 24 Jan 2005, 00:54 »

Quote from: emor
Did anyone play Monkey Island 4?  Boy wasn't that an atrocity.

I wouldn't go that far, and with the current choices being what they are it's hard to be picky about these.

I'm really suprised they haven't re-released the first two as remakes though.
The same game, but with new graphics and voices, they could probably get away with charging full price for that, and it'd be cheaper to make using a existing design rather than designing everything from scratch.

Hoborg, does ScummVM always work?  I'm running XP, but I'd buy these games if I knew I could get them working.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
DOTT
« Reply #14 on: 24 Jan 2005, 09:18 »

The only upcoming adventure game I even know of is Another for the DS.

It is a sad world we live in. :(
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Wysiwyg

Re: DOTT
« Reply #15 on: 24 Jan 2005, 11:24 »

Quote from: Shaft
Does anyone remember playing the fantastic Lucasarts game "Day Of The Tentacle"? *remenisces* I would rant about it but I wouldn't know where to start! It is available for download but that would be illegal so I'm not telling you where... I don't even know... "Coughs*... Anyway... Yeah!

- Hummm... I donĀ“t think you should drink that...

SLUURP

-Nonsense! It made me feel better! Smarter! More agressive! I feel like i could... Like I could... Like... I... could...

PLOP!

-TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

*lightning cracks*

:D

Hoborg

DOTT
« Reply #16 on: 24 Jan 2005, 15:53 »

Quote from: wraithzero
Hoborg, does ScummVM always work?  I'm running XP, but I'd buy these games if I knew I could get them working.

I wouldn't count on it if you are gonna buy the games - I think ScummVM is meant to act like an emulator and it might use a special sort of file rather than the actual game discs, as in you could download it from somewhere if you knew where (I don't). Maybe I'm wrong and it works with the actual game discs, though, I'm not sure.

I LOVED Monkey Island 4.

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
DOTT
« Reply #17 on: 25 Jan 2005, 08:35 »

Heh, I found a collection of old LucasArts adventure games for download from a site which I'm sure was perfectly legal. *cough*

Pity they were all in french...

Ho hum.

unknowner

DOTT
« Reply #18 on: 25 Jan 2005, 14:38 »

I just loved Grim Fandango. Great stuff... the Land of the Dead, Demon Beavers... all good.

~U
...but I don't have any tendons!

Rune

DOTT
« Reply #19 on: 25 Jan 2005, 18:22 »

ScummVM works with the original discs -- I've played my Sam And Max on it before, and I just recently (Monday and Sunday) palyed DOTT and Fate Of Atlantis on it as well. They don't install and run properly under Windows 2000 (and I'm guessing XP as well) due to the lack of native dos -- the sound is near-impossible to get working properly without some type of emulation, be it sound emulation or full emulation like this.

Anyway, they're definitely worth picking up and playing again ;p

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
DOTT
« Reply #20 on: 31 Jan 2005, 16:48 »

I enjoy laughing at all of you squares whose computers don't suck so much butt as to be able to run the game off of the original CD.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Abattur

• Furry furrier
  • CTHULHU! FUCK YEAH!
DOTT
« Reply #21 on: 03 Feb 2005, 02:35 »

I have the CD versions (bought them long ago) of Sam & Max and DOTT.

And i own(ed) the amiga version of Monkey Island 1. (6-7 floopies... Or was it 9?)
That is, when my amiga still worked... Shait...

But alas, Gabriel Knight serie rocks.

Edit: Oh, yeah, and i had Zak McKraken on amiga and Maniac Mansion on C64. If i remember correctly.
YOUR RESISTANCE ONLY MAKES MY PENIS HARDER!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
DOTT
« Reply #22 on: 03 Feb 2005, 08:14 »

Broken Sword series!!
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
DOTT
« Reply #23 on: 03 Feb 2005, 10:04 »

I think I saw something about the development and release of Sam and Max by a different company.  May have been heresay, I am sure.

Burninated Peasant

DOTT
« Reply #24 on: 03 Feb 2005, 11:53 »

Bad Brain did indeed try to purchase the rights to Sam & Max 2 from LucasArts. However, the deal recently fell through and negotiations have been discontinued. 'Tis a shame. :(

Tearon

DOTT
« Reply #25 on: 03 Feb 2005, 12:13 »

As far as point-and-click games go, I am partial to the Space Quest series.(Sierra) For as long as I can remember, I have cracked up whenever someone uses the words "space" and "janitor" in a sentence.

Burninated Peasant

DOTT
« Reply #26 on: 03 Feb 2005, 12:17 »

The SQ series was awesome. I still have Space Quest 5 and everything that came with it (The Galactic Enquirer, the hint book, even the booklet showcasing all the "new" games coming out from Sierra and Sierra Online).

Tearon

DOTT
« Reply #27 on: 03 Feb 2005, 12:19 »

I liked the second, third, and sixth ones. Especaily the sixth.

When putting a two-by-four in your pockets:

Narrator: Bet ya can't fit that thing in your pants!

(You place it in your pocket, no problem)

Narrator: Guess I was wrong! There must be alot of spare room in there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up