- 11 (21.2%)
Dinner organized by Yay, New Friend
- 8 (15.4%)
Get simulated drunk
- 16 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: 11 Apr 2021, 17:42

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 4496-4500 (5th April through 9th April, 2021)  (Read 28563 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
Re: WCDT 4496-4500 (5th April through 9th April, 2021)
« Reply #50 on: 07 Apr 2021, 23:10 »

There are nots of variations on the ancient phrase 'surgeon heal thyself'. In this case, it's pretty obvious that Dan is causing Renee some anxiety. I wasn't sure at first why, assuming that she was worried that, like that previous hook-up we saw, she was afraid that he found Brun more attractive than he did her. Then someone reminded me of the time limit (and do you realise that we're less than half-way through a week in the past six months?). Dan will need to go home at some point and I don't think that Renee is at all happy at the thought of not having him around anymore.

In the end, it's all about courage for both of them, isn't it? To dare their own anxieties and try to seize something that makes them happy and something that  they want.

So, if Renee gets on a bus with Dan, will she be missed? Will she ever come back?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Mr Intrepid

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #51 on: 07 Apr 2021, 23:32 »

Hint: who else do we know in this comic who can draw?
[/quote]
Going by the username, I'm guessing it's some with blue hair.
Or Sam?

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #52 on: 07 Apr 2021, 23:49 »

“We’re all kind of freaking out inside.”

That’s my default mode.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #53 on: 07 Apr 2021, 23:59 »

Hint: who else do we know in this comic who can draw?
Going by the username, I'm guessing it's some with blue hair.
Or Sam?
[/quote]

I figured Sam's would be something to do with herpetology. Also, she's like 12? I really hope her username isn't 'sexdrawer69', and I doubt Jeph would do that because it'd be super creepy.

EDIT: got the username in-comic wrong (thinking of a tumblrite). But my point still stands.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #54 on: 08 Apr 2021, 00:17 »

It would be funny if May was the mystery artist. Has it ever been mentioned that she can draw? Then again, you don't have to be good at drawing to create fan art...

EDIT: oooh, it might be Tilly!
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2021, 00:26 by Farideh »
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #55 on: 08 Apr 2021, 01:44 »

Oof, Renee is so screwed. For the rest of the week, anyway.

:clairedoge:
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

jesslc

• Furry furrier
« Reply #56 on: 08 Apr 2021, 02:40 »

I'm pretty sure Sam is at least 14 by now. But personally I think it's very unlikely that she's the fan artist. I can't think of anyone else in the strip who can draw though.

I do like how Elliot recognises that Renee's advice is just as much about her trying to convince herself as it is an attempt to reassure him.

I hope Renee doesn’t get put on a bus with Dan. I've enjoyed it when she's been in the strip lately and one of my very favourite characters (Brun) would probably be pretty sad if her best friend moved out of town.
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2021, 02:50 by jesslc »

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #57 on: 08 Apr 2021, 03:19 »

I've been trying to tell myself this a lot lately, sometimes in almost exactly the same words Renee uses here.
Sometimes it works.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #58 on: 08 Apr 2021, 04:43 »

Faye can probably definitely draw. She attended art college and basic draftsmanship is part of many courses, plus she does plan her sculptures.
Whether she’d be the one drawing Vtuber pr0n on the other hand, I have my doubts.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #59 on: 08 Apr 2021, 05:07 »

Controversial prediction:
The mysterious artist is not one of the cast and will never be mentioned or even alluded to ever again.
~~~~

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #60 on: 08 Apr 2021, 05:47 »

Don’t want to bother finding it at the moment, but Tai has been shown drawing in the past. I recall one comic where she’s drawing a logo for her music business.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #61 on: 08 Apr 2021, 07:48 »

Bubbles once finished a spray that Sam had begun. We have the blackboard art at Coffee of Doom.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #62 on: 08 Apr 2021, 17:37 »

Once you accept that all relationships are temporary and thus inevitably end, it is much easier to live in the now.

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #63 on: 08 Apr 2021, 17:57 »

I have literally no idea what this means.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #64 on: 08 Apr 2021, 18:14 »

New comic.

Nice role reversal between Renee and Elliot, with him being the cheerleader and her being the one dragging her feet :)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #65 on: 08 Apr 2021, 19:09 »

Speaking of Angus, has he ever re-appeared?

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #66 on: 08 Apr 2021, 19:17 »

I don't recall seeing him after Faye ended the relationship.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #67 on: 08 Apr 2021, 19:20 »

I think it's only fair to make sure this section of the forum knows that there are very few of you that I wouldn't cut for this man.

Gyrre

« Reply #68 on: 08 Apr 2021, 21:08 »

Let's see..... Northampton, MA to NYC is 2 hours, 46 minutes this time of night. Doing the 2 hour, 31 minutes drive from Prak City, KS to OKC was hard enough of a long distance relationship.
Here's hoping Dan lives closer.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gyrre

« Reply #69 on: 08 Apr 2021, 21:10 »

Whether it's 'til death do we part' or for some other reason, a relationship will end at some point given enough time.
a real-ass gaddam sword

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #70 on: 08 Apr 2021, 22:50 »

Renee, pondering the important questions.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #71 on: 08 Apr 2021, 22:58 »

Whether it's 'til death do we part' or for some other reason, a relationship will end at some point given enough time.
Yeah, I know. That's what I was saying. It's the weird duck emojis I don't understand.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #72 on: 08 Apr 2021, 23:02 »

Renee, let's put it this way. If Dan really wants to make this last and is willing to work with you to that end, I'm pretty sure that the nookie session will happen naturally as a consequence of that. If he isn't interested in prolonging it... do you really want to make things hurt that much more by exposing your heart one more time?

I wonder if Elliot realises the irony that he is encouraging Renee to take a chance on Dan when taking a chance on a relationship is something so difficult for him to accept that he can risk doing? Nah. No, people don't think like that.
~~~~

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #73 on: 09 Apr 2021, 00:16 »

Giving advice is so much easier than taking it.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #74 on: 09 Apr 2021, 01:04 »

Yeah, I know. That's what I was saying. It's the weird duck emojis I don't understand.
That’s the Pokémon Psyduck that has a crippling memory problem because it forgets things in order to use it’s most powerful psychic attacks. It is therefore perpetually confused by the sudden appearance of things it doesn’t remember being there before, like the opponent, it’s trainer, or the occasional tree.

I believe the intent was to convey a complete lack of understanding of your post.

Personally I think it’s a fascinating study on how English is slowly assimilating ideographic language concepts… 
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #75 on: 09 Apr 2021, 01:10 »

Personally I think it’s a fascinating study on how English is slowly assimilating ideographic language concepts…

Although the fact that these are not yet universally accepted as to have the same meanings by all users actually makes it less easy to understand.

Regional and generational dialects in the use of emojis? PhD Languages dissertation come to papa!
~~~~

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #76 on: 09 Apr 2021, 01:24 »

Although the fact that these are not yet universally accepted as to have the same meanings by all users actually makes it less easy to understand.

Regional and generational dialects in the use of emojis? PhD Languages dissertation come to papa!
Oh yes, but regional differences exist with regular English words and expressions already so that’s just business as usual. See “tabling a discussion” and what it actually means on the left and right sides of the pond for example.

ihaveavoice

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #77 on: 09 Apr 2021, 03:39 »

Let's see..... Northampton, MA to NYC is 2 hours, 46 minutes this time of night. Doing the 2 hour, 31 minutes drive from Prak City, KS to OKC was hard enough of a long distance relationship.
Here's hoping Dan lives closer.

Entirely unrelated to your or Renee's relationships, it's always wild to be reminded how differently driving distance/time is viewed on the east vs. west coasts. That kind of drive time equates to being only a county away here rather than crossing entire states, so it's something lots of us would shrug off doing every weekend for awhile. Makes me think of this funny family story where my west coast grandparents took my east coast grandparents up to some other California location for a day trip and they were sitting there like omgwhenarewegettingoutofthiscar :psyduck:

And I think Psyduck's facial expression kinda says it all: like an "oh man/oh jeez!!" kinda deal. It doesn't have to have anything to do with confusion divorced from the original context of the show, and I wouldn't interpret it that way in the case of that response to the "all relationships end" sentiment. I'd just read that as a lighthearted "YIKES!!"

Oh yes, but regional differences exist with regular English words and expressions already so that’s just business as usual. See “tabling a discussion” and what it actually means on the left and right sides of the pond for example.

Hey, thanks for the learning, Mr_Rose! I googled to confirm my guess that it actually meant a discussion is on the table over there, as opposed to the US meaning of setting the topic aside temporarily, and now I know an interesting slang difference!  :-D

Cypher

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #78 on: 09 Apr 2021, 03:45 »

"Is Dan cooler than Angus"- Sure, Angus bears some of the blame (although what, he was supposed to just throw away his life's ambition?) but I'd have to say Faye did play quite a big part in the collapse of the relationship, just saying... I mean, what was Angus REALLY supposed to say when she said "I know I should be happy for you, but I'm not" then stared blankly into thin air? "Oh, he didn't TRY hard enough"- if he'd kept pushing everyone would say "he's out of line, he should take no for an answer" etc etc.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #79 on: 09 Apr 2021, 04:16 »

I posted Psyduck emojis because I wanted to highlight that telling someone anxious about a fictional relationship that ALZl relationships end is likely to amp up the anxiety, not reduce it. It is indeed a lighthearted YIKES!!

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #80 on: 09 Apr 2021, 06:06 »

I suppose. I'm just stating how I learned to stop agonising over it. Mindfulness of the impermanence of all things is a powerful tool.
@syleegrrl

Ghanima Atreides

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #81 on: 09 Apr 2021, 07:25 »

2-3 hour drive? They could see each other once a week at a minimum until something more permanent could be arranged. My boyfriend and I lived across Europe from one another and saw each other 3 times a YEAR - for 5 years until we could finally move in together. So, I don't see the problem here.  :roll:
Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #82 on: 09 Apr 2021, 07:37 »

2-3 hour drive? They could see each other once a week at a minimum until something more permanent could be arranged. My boyfriend and I lived across Europe from one another and saw each other 3 times a YEAR - for 5 years until we could finally move in together. So, I don't see the problem here.  :roll:

I have done similar repeatedly before and I hated it. It definitely isn't for everyone.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #83 on: 09 Apr 2021, 11:17 »

In a similar vein (click to enlarge):

Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #84 on: 09 Apr 2021, 15:33 »

"Is Dan cooler than Angus"- Sure, Angus bears some of the blame (although what, he was supposed to just throw away his life's ambition?) but I'd have to say Faye did play quite a big part in the collapse of the relationship, just saying... I mean, what was Angus REALLY supposed to say when she said "I know I should be happy for you, but I'm not" then stared blankly into thin air? "Oh, he didn't TRY hard enough"- if he'd kept pushing everyone would say "he's out of line, he should take no for an answer" etc etc.

Also you are not obligated to try when someone says something that passive aggressive to you. Like, I’m not sure I’d have gotten angry, but it’s just a really hurtful, shitty thing to say.
« Last Edit: 09 Apr 2021, 20:54 by Oenone »

Ghanima Atreides

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #85 on: 10 Apr 2021, 02:58 »

I have done similar repeatedly before and I hated it. It definitely isn't for everyone.

I guess within driving distance barely feels like long distance to me  :laugh: But you're right, it's not easy, and not for everyone, especially when the relationship is just one week old.
Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #86 on: 10 Apr 2021, 04:20 »

I guess within driving distance barely feels like long distance to me  :laugh: But you're right, it's not easy, and not for everyone, especially when the relationship is just one week old.

Driving distance is a long way if you don't both drive!
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #87 on: 10 Apr 2021, 06:38 »

I can drive for about two hours and still be in the same county - especially if I use surface streets.

IIRC, its roughly an hour drive from Milwaukee to Madison, via I-94; and about two hours to Green Bay by I-43 (a bit longer by I-41).
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #88 on: 10 Apr 2021, 19:22 »

Attitudes differ from place to place in the US. It may even have been here that I read about someone from Montana asking a friend from Rhode Island in hushed tones "It is true you can drive across the entire state in less than a day?".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #89 on: 10 Apr 2021, 20:53 »

Hell, I can walk across RI in less than a day.
@syleegrrl

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #90 on: 10 Apr 2021, 21:31 »

Even though California is pretty large, when I lived in SF, I always thought of going to the East Bay as a day trip.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

stayctee

• Plantmonster
« Reply #91 on: 11 Apr 2021, 06:49 »

Also, if you live in a city two hours of driving is nothing. I wouldn't consider two hours of driving away as really "long distance". Hell you could drive there after work for a quick booty call if you really wanted to. I feel like a relationship that can't survive that is kind of failing for other reasons, like laziness? This is assuming both people have cars though.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #92 on: 11 Apr 2021, 08:05 »

Even less a problem if they can find a motel midway between them.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #93 on: 11 Apr 2021, 13:59 »

Speaking of long distances, if this lengthy conversation is still about the Faye and Angus breakup, I'd suggest going back and re-reading.

Spoiler alert: it wasn't about the distance.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

dutchrvl

« Reply #94 on: 12 Apr 2021, 10:51 »

Yeah, that byline also rubbed me the wrong way a bit. Could Angus have done things differently way back when? Absolutely. But in that situation, it was definitely not due to him 'not being cool' that their relationship ended. In fact, I'd argue that Angus did most things right.

"Is Dan cooler than Faye" would've been more appropriate in this case.

Gyrre

« Reply #95 on: 12 Apr 2021, 20:40 »

That's how me and that ex did things. She'd usually come up for Christmas, and I did all the driving since her anxiety kept her from getting a driver's license until she was in her early thirties. Long after we broke up. I suspect her anxiety and my depression both played a big part in the relationship falling apart.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gyrre

« Reply #96 on: 12 Apr 2021, 20:55 »

Also, if you live in a city two hours of driving is nothing. I wouldn't consider two hours of driving away as really "long distance". Hell you could drive there after work for a quick booty call if you really wanted to. I feel like a relationship that can't survive that is kind of failing for other reasons, like laziness? This is assuming both people have cars though.
City driving is different than BFE driving. Even on the interstate. And especially if you're in one that still has its horse-and buggy street layout (you've got no excuse for not changing things after that fire, Boston).
At that point, the biggest city I'd in was Wichita. I'm now in KCK and still think anything over an hour is nonsense that takes too long. Thankfully, the only time I've had to drive in Chicago was at 4:00AM to drop off some railroaders.

As for Europe, 1 mile is equal to 1609.344 m (1609,344 m). Which countries? Most are comparable to U.S. states.
a real-ass gaddam sword

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #97 on: 12 Apr 2021, 21:26 »

To be fair, neither Wichita nor KCK are big cities.
@syleegrrl

Gyrre

« Reply #98 on: 13 Apr 2021, 20:37 »

To be fair, neither Wichita nor KCK are b4ig cities.

That's subjective to where you grew up.
a real-ass gaddam sword

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #99 on: 13 Apr 2021, 20:45 »

To be fair, neither Wichita nor KCK are b4ig cities.

That's subjective to where you grew up.
I grew up in a town of less than 10K people.
@syleegrrl
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up