THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 19-23 April 2021 (4506-4510)  (Read 27120 times)

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
Re: WCDT 19-23 April 2021 (4506-4510)
« Reply #50 on: 21 Apr 2021, 01:24 »

now, as to another aspect of the latest comic:
I'm honestly not sure this is a case of discrimination against AIs.  IMO, it's an entirely different sort of bullshit.  I imagine a human employee (with a similarly high performance rating) would have been just as fired.  Whoever had that job was going to lose it so the owner could give it to their boy.

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #51 on: 21 Apr 2021, 01:45 »

I like short hair on women, but I don't like the new hairdo on Roko specifically. I much preferred the older look.

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #52 on: 21 Apr 2021, 03:39 »

I like short hair on women, but I don't like the new hairdo on Roko specifically. I much preferred the older look.

True - but there's no reason to assume that Roko will want to keep a hairstyle based on an accident any more than Momo did. Maybe some more much-needed business for Union Robotics*?

*Minor trivia: A "Union Robotics" exists in this universe too...**

** Somebody else may have mentioned this already, but I've probably been too inattentive to notice   :roll:
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Potato Farmer

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #53 on: 21 Apr 2021, 07:08 »

I like Roko’s hair too. I get so tired of the idea that women have to have long or at least shoulder-length hair. It used to be acceptable for women,mercenary young women, to have short hair. Now if you’re a woman under 70, your hair has to be at least shoulder length or you get negative comments. And the same thing if guys let their hair grow. I’m sick of it. Why do we all have to have the same hair length?

I just like the way long hair looks on women.

Of course I don't think it's a big deal if a woman decides to wear their hair short either. Just means that for me personally their attractiveness has decreased unless they wear it really well.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #54 on: 21 Apr 2021, 07:40 »

My problem is not that any one person has short hair.
It's that, over time, all of them end up with short hair.
It reduces the diversity of character design.
To return to an extreme example I've used before, imagine if everyone was represented by circles of various colors and/or sizes, otherwise featureless and identical.  Just... circles.

None of them even have the same hairstyle, they look nothing alike.

No matter how many times you repeat that argument, it won't get any less ridiculous.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

dutchrvl

« Reply #55 on: 21 Apr 2021, 10:00 »

My problem is not that any one person has short hair.
It's that, over time, all of them end up with short hair.
It reduces the diversity of character design.
To return to an extreme example I've used before, imagine if everyone was represented by circles of various colors and/or sizes, otherwise featureless and identical.  Just... circles.

I dunno, XKCD seems to be pretty well-accepted and -respected :-D

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #56 on: 21 Apr 2021, 10:06 »

To be fair, I don't think she likes it, either.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

dutchrvl

« Reply #57 on: 21 Apr 2021, 10:17 »

Yeah, Roku's new hair doesn't fit her character.

Questionable Content isn't quite as enjoyable to me as it used to be at the beginning. Maybe Jeph's thinking and the things he enjoys have moved on to places where I can't really understand or enjoy the ideas that direct the strip anymore. Maybe, as some alledge, he's moved on creatively and he's just 'phoning in' the strip because it has been the core of his creative life for so long. Either way, I'm not not getting the interest I used to in thinking about what's happening in the story and following the characters' lives.
I've felt this way for awhile. Habit is pretty much the only reason I still read QC, with May getting a new body the first time in awhile where I was looking forward to the next comic.  Relationship arcs do nothing to hold my interest, mainly because in QC the stakes aren't high, if they even exist.

IMO when the Secret Bakery was introduced and the second main cast started becoming prominent, that would've been a good time to have started either planning a spin-off comic or just ending QC altogether and starting a new storyline with them, seeing as they and characters introduced post-SB have become the new cast.  Other than Faye, none of the original cast or original B cast make regular appearances anymore.  The comic has moved from its roots of random arcs of music, silliness, and hints of magical realism to, well, whatever it is today. I get it, long-running works need to evolve and change it up to stay fresh, but going back and reading the early strips even into four digits is like reading a completely different comic, in tone, delivery, pacing, and atmosphere.

HOW did Beeps get her hand stuck in the printer anyway? 0_o
Printers are of the devil.  Never underestimate their diabolical machinations and ways.

It makes sense though, just like pretty much any long-running slice of life comic you will see the effect of real-life developments, as well as the personal development of the author. Jeph started QC when he was what, very early 20s? That's a very different mindset and outlook on life than when you're in your late 30s/early 40s. I think we see that reflected in how QC evolved from silly gags, hipster arcs, indie music, and few longer story arcs, to more rounded out characters, a much more diverse cast, relatively limited hipster gags and silly jokes, and longer story arcs and lots of social commentary and addressing those social issues that Jeph likely ponders a lot.
And lets not forget that ALOT has happened in our society over the past 18 years or so and various issues have come more to the forefront (as they should), which affect a comic like QC as well. 

And this is not even mentioning how we as readers evolve. I am myself more or less Jeph's age, and my interests and way of thinking are vastly different from when I started reading QC. So, we cannot expect us as readers to generally evolve in the same direction as Jeph, and as such a portion of readers will probably let go of QC, just like others will finally start enjoying QC. And that's fine.

Personally, I feel the same as several above, in that the story arcs do not hold my attention like they used to, I am less invested in the 'new cast', and I miss the original cast for whom I feel there are still plenty of stories left to tell. In addition, although I highly appreciate that Jeph addresses social issues, I think succesfulness in the way they're inserted into QC varies wildly. SOmetimes it just feels hamfisted, which getting the point across less effective, IMHO.

This all said, it's his comic, and I still largely enjoy it, so...

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #58 on: 21 Apr 2021, 11:32 »

HOW did Beeps get her hand stuck in the printer anyway? 0_o

She was trying to use the manual feed.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #59 on: 21 Apr 2021, 14:17 »

I was obviously spoiled by the Faye/Bubbles story because nothing since has measured up for me.

The cast issue is less a problem of missing the old cast than it is characters getting paired off and then immediately dropped when the focus moves to yet another ship. How is that sustainable? Hello new new cast?

I’d love to see a social issue put at the centre of a new story. Let’s go.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #60 on: 21 Apr 2021, 14:19 »

To be fair, I don't think she likes it, either.

I just think that Jeph really wanted to troll life-long longhairs like me. 
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Wombat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #61 on: 21 Apr 2021, 14:25 »

I just think that Jeph really wanted to troll life-long longhairs like me.
There's been a few comments about Jeph "trolling" with this, and I really don't see how it's trolling?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #62 on: 21 Apr 2021, 14:45 »

Well, two.

Hasn’t Jeph been open about putting stuff in his comic to annoy the haters?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #63 on: 21 Apr 2021, 15:07 »

Granted, the Clinton/Elliot romance was a looooong time coming.

I have the feeling that Jeph might be moving back to the 'socialized body care for AIs' arc now, with Roko's disassociation added in as well? I was wondering yesterday if her accidental haircut would exacerbate things.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #64 on: 21 Apr 2021, 15:52 »

There's been a few comments about Jeph "trolling" with this, and I really don't see how it's trolling?

Some people use "trolling" to describe something they happen not to like or agree with, is all that is.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #65 on: 21 Apr 2021, 16:13 »

Oh?

I’d really prefer you cast aspersions directly rather than obliquely.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #66 on: 21 Apr 2021, 16:21 »

Can anyone think of a case where a character was introduced with short hair and let it grow out?   The only one I can think of is Dora, and that ended up being rather temporary.  (I know it's harder to do because of the time, but still, it's been a few years in-comic.)

That's what annoys me so much, really.  It's unidirectional.

And people call it trolling because Jeph appears to be aware that readers have this same discussion every time he cuts off a character's hair.  In this case, he even lampshaded that in the strip title and author's note.  That lampshading is what makes it feel like trolling to me.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #67 on: 21 Apr 2021, 16:42 »

Momo's hair ended up a lot longer than what she started with. Same with May when she switched bodies.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #68 on: 21 Apr 2021, 17:41 »

I feel like those examples still fit the trope of introducing a new character (or chassis in this case) with long hair then later having it chopped in a zany accident.

Tai is probably a rare example of short hair by choice.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #69 on: 21 Apr 2021, 18:32 »

New comic up.

What are the odds that the next time Clinton runs into Marigold, she recognizes his voice as LilBeef? (Then again, it looks like it's been a long time since they've run into each other, but QC Northampton seems to be a fairly small place...)
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #70 on: 21 Apr 2021, 18:44 »

I think the odds are fairly small. They aren't terribly well acquainted, Clinton's voice would sound different through the microphone and speakers, and Marigold won't be actively trying to figure out if he made a guest appearance on his mother's stream.
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2021, 19:10 by Farideh »

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #71 on: 21 Apr 2021, 19:06 »

Some people use "trolling" to describe something they happen not to like or agree with, is all that is.

It is originally a fishing term, and he has got us to bite, at the least.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #72 on: 21 Apr 2021, 19:40 »

Poor Clinton.

I DO like the idea of Marigold instantly recognizing him as 'Lil Beef.'  :-D

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #73 on: 21 Apr 2021, 19:40 »

It is originally a fishing term, and he has got us to bite, at the least.
That's "trawling".
@syleegrrl

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #74 on: 21 Apr 2021, 19:56 »

There is both 'trolling' and 'trawling' in fishing, and they are two separate methods. Trolling uses fishing lines, whereas trawling uses nets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolling_(fishing)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trawling

Fixed link - Gnabberwocky
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2021, 20:02 by Gnabberwocky »

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #75 on: 21 Apr 2021, 20:13 »

Yup, and I’m old enough to remember the original use of the term online.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #76 on: 21 Apr 2021, 20:19 »

Can anyone think of a case where a character was introduced with short hair and let it grow out?   The only one I can think of is Dora, and that ended up being rather temporary.  (I know it's harder to do because of the time, but still, it's been a few years in-comic.)

That's what annoys me so much, really.  It's unidirectional.

And people call it trolling because Jeph appears to be aware that readers have this same discussion every time he cuts off a character's hair.  In this case, he even lampshaded that in the strip title and author's note.  That lampshading is what makes it feel like trolling to me.

Renee. She had her hair very short in her first SB appearance.
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2021, 20:24 by Oenone »

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #77 on: 21 Apr 2021, 20:27 »

There is both 'trolling' and 'trawling' in fishing, and they are two separate methods. Trolling uses fishing lines, whereas trawling uses nets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolling_(fishing)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trawling

Fixed link - Gnabberwocky
Touché. I stand corrected.
@syleegrrl

neurocase

• Furry furrier
« Reply #78 on: 21 Apr 2021, 20:33 »

Time to place bets on if this unplanned 'haircut' will have some form of effect on Roko's disassociation issues. Personally, I think even if it does, it'll moreso just be a convenient plot device built from Jeph's long-term propensity for shearing his female characters, even if not by them making the choice to do so :-P

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #79 on: 21 Apr 2021, 20:38 »

I feel like those examples still fit the trope of introducing a new character (or chassis in this case) with long hair then later having it chopped in a zany accident.

May I'll agree with.  She was introduced with short hair and chose to go long and so far has kept it (although I'm sure she's due for a zany accident in the nearish future, you know, maybe 2023 real time?).  Momo on the other hand was introduced as a doll rather than a humanoid chassis, so I wouldn't count that.

Renee's hair is certainly long*er* than when she was introduced, but it's still a short style.  Unless she just has it in a bun or something?

Gyrre

« Reply #80 on: 22 Apr 2021, 02:18 »

I was obviously spoiled by the Faye/Bubbles story because nothing since has measured up for me.

The cast issue is less a problem of missing the old cast than it is characters getting paired off and then immediately dropped when the focus moves to yet another ship. How is that sustainable? Hello new new cast?

I’d love to see a social issue put at the centre of a new story. Let’s go.

Sounds like Wapsi Square's calander arc for me. Atsali's introductory arc did come close. But then things started getting ...uncomfortable. I haven't read it for some time now.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #81 on: 22 Apr 2021, 15:26 »

May I'll agree with.  She was introduced with short hair and chose to go long and so far has kept it (although I'm sure she's due for a zany accident in the nearish future, you know, maybe 2023 real time?).  Momo on the other hand was introduced as a doll rather than a humanoid chassis, so I wouldn't count that.

Renee's hair is certainly long*er* than when she was introduced, but it's still a short style.  Unless she just has it in a bun or something?

Isn’t hair getting longer part of growing it out? Unless there a time jump, she’s not going to have her own long hair instantaneously.

I’m also like, ??? Her hair curly, so it might be longer than it looks. Shrinkage is real. Tbh it’s entirely possible Brun and Dale have long hair as well. My hair is certainly longer than you’d think.   :cry:

https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/learn/what-is-natural-hair-shrinkage-why-do-i-care

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #82 on: 22 Apr 2021, 18:23 »

New comic.

I can't see Melon cutting hair ending well.....

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #83 on: 22 Apr 2021, 18:25 »

For anyone who's wondering about Jeph's "long day" comment, the current day has lasted for a minimum of 72 strips (since #4439), or more realistically, 117 strips (since #4394). The previous record was 61 strips so he absolutely shattered it either way.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #84 on: 22 Apr 2021, 18:37 »

so like 800 times faster than dumbing of age

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #85 on: 22 Apr 2021, 18:39 »

Is the title of Claire's book actually 'The Sexual Dwarf'? I have trouble reading the last word.

Either way: loooooooooooooooooooooooooong day.

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #86 on: 22 Apr 2021, 18:45 »

Is the title of Claire's book actually 'The Sexual Dwarf'? I have trouble reading the last word.

Either way: loooooooooooooooooooooooooong day.

First of all, that's Aurelia.
Second of all, I believe it is "The Sexual Duke". A historical fantasy for sure.

David F

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #87 on: 22 Apr 2021, 18:47 »

For anyone who's wondering about Jeph's "long day" comment, the current day has lasted for a minimum of 72 strips (since #4439), or more realistically, 117 strips (since #4394). The previous record was 61 strips so he absolutely shattered it either way.

Pretty sure it's "just" 72 - before 4394 both Brun and Faye were wearing different outfits.  Still faster than El Goonish Shive, where the most recent 'long day' took 238 strips... at 3 per week, instead of 5, so it took 20 months, as opposed to a mere 14 weeks.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #88 on: 22 Apr 2021, 18:56 »

First of all, that's Aurelia.
Second of all, I believe it is "The Sexual Duke". A historical fantasy for sure.

'Duke' makes more sense, thanks. I do think the person could be either Aurelia or Claire, very hard to distinguish like that. Mother and daughter look a lot alike.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #89 on: 22 Apr 2021, 18:58 »

i had to zoom in alllllllllllll the way, and pretty sure it's Duke, yeh

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #90 on: 22 Apr 2021, 18:59 »

It's Aurelia; she has the lines under her eyes as well as thicker, more angled glasses frames.

I have to say, despite the simplicity, this is one of my favorite styles of QC strip.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Wombat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #91 on: 22 Apr 2021, 19:03 »

It also makes more sense as being Aurelia. I say this having first thought it was Claire and going, "Okay, just throw some Claire in there, we've got Steve so why not."

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #92 on: 22 Apr 2021, 19:05 »

:-o MELON haircut?!
Welp, I think that clinches it - a trip to Union Robotics and Bubbles' hair-growing soup tomorrow...probably with Roko wearing a hat :-D
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #93 on: 22 Apr 2021, 19:11 »

I completely overlooked the lines under her eyes... Multiple times. Maybe I need new glasses :D

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #94 on: 22 Apr 2021, 19:12 »

I wish I knew what cereal Steve eats to maintain that physique.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #95 on: 22 Apr 2021, 19:27 »

I wish I knew what cereal Steve eats to maintain that physique.

Beefy-Os, because breakfast starts with protein!
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #96 on: 22 Apr 2021, 20:33 »

Pretty sure it's "just" 72 - before 4394 both Brun and Faye were wearing different outfits.  Still faster than El Goonish Shive, where the most recent 'long day' took 238 strips... at 3 per week, instead of 5, so it took 20 months, as opposed to a mere 14 weeks.

I'm not saying you're wrong - it is very ambiguous - I'm just saying it seems kinda weird to me for us to have a morning phase (#4394), a lunchtime phase (#4409) and an afternoon phase (#4439) all in sequence, but have them be on different days. Particularly since Samantha left Union Robotics in #4437 and also happened to not be there when Clinton and Willow showed up in #4456.

I just think it's a tad more likely that Jeph forgot what various people were wearing.

Mordhaus

• Furry furrier
« Reply #97 on: 22 Apr 2021, 22:09 »

Melon is meloning Roko's melon!

David F

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #98 on: 22 Apr 2021, 23:47 »

I'm not saying you're wrong - it is very ambiguous - I'm just saying it seems kinda weird to me for us to have a morning phase (#4394), a lunchtime phase (#4409) and an afternoon phase (#4439) all in sequence, but have them be on different days. Particularly since Samantha left Union Robotics in #4437 and also happened to not be there when Clinton and Willow showed up in #4456.

I just think it's a tad more likely that Jeph forgot what various people were wearing.

The way I see it: 4394 morning, 4409 lunch, yes.  But then we see quite a lot of activity at Union Robotics - after lunch, Millefeuille gets her femur replaced, then Samantha goes through multiple clients.  To me, 4437/4438 reads like "end of a busy day".

Forgetting one person's outfit, maybe.  Two?  Less likely.  Five?  No.  Claire's outfit changes (still pink top, but T-shirt to spaghetti straps).  Marten's changes (white shirt for library work to T-shirt in 4466), Hannelore's changes (4400 vs 4466).  Bubbles' outfit is the same, though.  Not sure that's something I'd read much into, I don't think she has a lot of outfits and doesn't have to contend with her clothes getting sweaty.   May, Momo and Roko all change outfits during the first block, so that's more complicated... but Roko's outfit in 4408 does not match the one in 4470.  Other than Bubbles, I think every character we see in block A (4394-4438) and block B (4439-present) are wearing different clothes.  Yemisi too (4406/4464), but given her job as a personal shopper I wouldn't give that as much weight, it's quite plausible she routinely changes clothes during the day.

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #99 on: 23 Apr 2021, 01:09 »

I spy the Steve Eating Cereal meme and I claim my $100...
What the hell are YOU staring at?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up