THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who's the next cast member to be revealed as a vtuber?

Emily
Beepatrice
Pintsize
Clinton (he's surprised with himself and looking for a niche)
Station (it's a subroutine)
other (please post)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 10-14 May 2021 (strips 4521-4525)  (Read 21421 times)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
WCDT 10-14 May 2021 (strips 4521-4525)
« on: 09 May 2021, 06:31 »

It would explain where Pintsize gets some of his money along with renting out processing power. I shutter to think what his avatar is, though.

Emily's avatar would probably become sentient and she'd wind up with a cohost.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
Re: WCDT 10-14 May 2021 (strips 4521-4525)
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2021, 07:29 »

I'm guessing Station. He doesn't even hide his identity, it's just that nobody believes this vtuber is actually a space station.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2021, 17:00 »

I'm guessing Emily (since that would be hilarious) and Pintsize (because, why not?)
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2021, 18:15 »

Marten, who plays Guitar Hero and gushes about classic guitars.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2021, 18:32 »

Comic's up.

Poor Hanners. Awkward school plays are a rite of passage, quite sad that she missed out on that.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #5 on: 09 May 2021, 18:40 »

Also never did that.

Thank goodness...

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #6 on: 09 May 2021, 19:31 »

I did put "Other" as usual, but I couldn't let it pass - of course Pintsize streams.
( His avatar is probably a picture of him wearing his giant steel weapon  :-D )

My "other" choice is Melon - with an audience consisting of people who are stoned, high, or drunk...
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Gyrre

« Reply #7 on: 09 May 2021, 21:03 »

I did put "Other" as usual, but I couldn't let it pass - of course Pintsize streams.
( His avatar is probably a picture of him wearing his giant steel weapon  :-D )

My "other" choice is Melon - with an audience consisting of people who are stoned, high, or drunk...

*kicks self for forgetting Melon as an oddbal candidate*

In my defense, I made this poll and thread because I couldn't fall asleep.
[Jacked up my sleep cycle visiting my folks for Mother's Day. Precautions were taken.]
a real-ass gaddam sword

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #8 on: 09 May 2021, 21:07 »

One good thing about having emotionally distant and largely absentee parents is I never had to suffer through the horror of performing in a school play in front of them.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2021, 11:40 »

Why is vtubing even a thing in a world with AI? Wouldn’t an AI be able to perfectly run through a speed run or whatever?

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2021, 14:24 »

Who would watch that? Sounds a bit boring.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2021, 15:29 »

Why is vtubing even a thing in a world with AI? Wouldn’t an AI be able to perfectly run through a speed run or whatever?
Tool assisted speedruns are already a thing, some games have RNG that will screw you regardless of “perfect” play, and do we even know that non-industrial AI bodies have that level of precision, or that AI minds can reproduce a previous experience with that level of accuracy?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2021, 16:33 »

Who would watch that? Sounds a bit boring.

I don’t get it but my middle schoolers have def asked to watch speed runs on the classroom smart board when they can pick something. I always say no bc it sounds boring to me as well.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2021, 17:26 »

Sorry, I should have been more clear :) I was talking about speedruns done by AI which sounds boring to me. I like watching people do speedruns.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2021, 18:13 »

New comic!

Yes, Momo needs a salary. (Did they pay off her new body, too?)

A thought: Does MAY know about Onlyfans?

"I can fuck people online for MONEY? Sweet!"

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #15 on: 10 May 2021, 18:14 »

Yes, Momo definitely needs a salary. Her new chassis was a gift from Marigold though, so there is no repayment needed.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #16 on: 10 May 2021, 19:08 »

For those wondering, a pop filter is a noise protection filter for a microphone, and not a filtration system for pop (or soda as they call it outside the Midwest).

...or was I the only one who didn't know what that thing was called...
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #17 on: 10 May 2021, 19:12 »

I didn't know what a pop filter was (thanks for explaining it to me :D)

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #18 on: 10 May 2021, 19:50 »

While I have no interest in video games personally, I would assume the main reason people watch is for the personality of the individual playing.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #19 on: 10 May 2021, 20:36 »

While I have no interest in video games personally, I would assume the main reason people watch is for the personality of the individual playing.

This. Very rarely do people get big from just being good at a game. It's about the personality of the person streaming. In fact, there are successful streamers that aren't particularly great at the games they play.

Gyrre

« Reply #20 on: 10 May 2021, 20:48 »

This. Very rarely do people get big from just being good at a game. It's about the personality of the person streaming. In fact, there are successful streamers that aren't particularly great at the games they play.

May I suggest Dan Floyd's playthrough of Hollow Knight?
Some delight fanart has come out of it, including The Knight getting frozen yogurt with various characters. Here's the only non-spoiler piece of fanart I could find with a cursory search. source

"There is grace in their failings."
--Vision

Never thought I'd quote an MCU movie in earnest. Let alone Age of Ultron.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #21 on: 11 May 2021, 00:21 »

I thought for a moment that Dale was non-binary, but 'them' might refer to unnamed artist(s) finishing the roughs.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #22 on: 11 May 2021, 00:47 »

I confess to being bemused by this thread of conversation. Though it's a variation on a recurring topic. QC AIs aren't computers; they are emergent lifeforms; and they do in fact have personalities.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #23 on: 11 May 2021, 00:58 »

This subplot has surprisingly good synergy with the latest volume of Kaguya Sama...

"I know I shouldn't, but I've walked in front of the camera for money several times now."

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #24 on: 11 May 2021, 05:21 »

I confess to being bemused by this thread of conversation. Though it's a variation on a recurring topic. QC AIs aren't computers; they are emergent lifeforms; and they do in fact have personalities.

That’s on me not understanding the appeal of speed runs — I assumed that watching people play games was about skill. I guess it’s like cooking shows — it’s about personality as well as technique.

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #25 on: 11 May 2021, 07:02 »

That’s on me not understanding the appeal of speed runs — I assumed that watching people play games was about skill. I guess it’s like cooking shows — it’s about personality as well as technique.

Skill can factor into it as well (it can be amazing to watch the world record speedrun, especially of a game you've played yourself), but generally I think most people will take their favourite streamer playing any old game than a random streamer playing a game that personally appeals to them.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #26 on: 11 May 2021, 09:24 »

I didn't know what a pop filter was (thanks for explaining it to me :D)

Yeah, if you ever see behind the scenes recording studio stuff, that big disc between the singer/speaker and the microphone that looks like someone cut a hole out of a screen door? That's the pop filter. It's basically there to block certain sounds created by speech (generally "pops" on hard P and B sounds) so that they don't create spikes and disrupt the audio. The sound of the consonant still gets through, but the air being blown forward is diffused by the screen so it doesn't hit the mic so hard.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #27 on: 11 May 2021, 10:42 »

I was talking about speedruns done by AI which sounds boring to me. I like watching people do speedruns.

I could imagine a world where AIs could do the equivalent of a TAS, if they were able to do frame-perfect inputs. In such a case the interest might not come so much from the personality of the streamer, but from exploring the theoretical limit of whatever game they're running, like it does IRL.

There are some (the Yogscast network comes to mind) that have got big almost on the back of being actively bad at the games they play, although there is a lot of first-mover advantage in their rise as well.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

thegreatzappadooie

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #28 on: 11 May 2021, 15:49 »

I think would be Gary... the perfect choice for a face reveal.   :-D

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #29 on: 11 May 2021, 18:23 »

New comic.

Oooh, interesting development! May would be a good choice, provided that she doesn't start bossing Marigold around, or making rude noises while Marigold is streaming. May would be good at keeping Marigold's identity a secret: she respects privacy.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #30 on: 11 May 2021, 18:35 »

Do business managers handle money? May seems to have chosen honesty but Marigold might be suspicious.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #31 on: 11 May 2021, 19:04 »

Huh. That's a thing...

Mordhaus

• Furry furrier
« Reply #32 on: 11 May 2021, 20:07 »

The plot, like a well made gravy, thickens...

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier
« Reply #33 on: 11 May 2021, 23:27 »

May would be a good choice, provided that she doesn't start bossing Marigold around, or making rude noises while Marigold is streaming.

I can't agree. There's more to being a manager than being bossy, which is May's main trait. Actually, I think being bossy is a serious drawback. There's a big difference between being assertive when necessary and enjoying pushing people around for its own sake, and May is very much the latter. Bubbles, for example, is self-confident and assertive without being bossy.

Anyway, leaving that aside, you need to be organized and motivated. Have we seen May really accomplish anything on her own? Aside from the failed heist that happens before we first meet her. Bubbles and Roko are the characters I usually think of when we're talking about getting stuff done.

I've never dealt with a business manager - which is a different job than middle management - but it feels a bit like being a project lead, and I have a lot of experience with that, both as a project lead myself, and dealing with other project leads. Mostly the good ones were very focused on Getting The Job Done. I'm having trouble envisioning May _caring_ about organizing Marigold's life. It seems more likely she'd just see it as another shitty job, and she'd do a half-assed job as a result.

However... given that Jeph is clearly nominating May, it'll probably go a different way. My read on what May would do, based on past behavior, isn't really predictive of the strip.

Gyrre

« Reply #34 on: 11 May 2021, 23:30 »

Skill can factor into it as well (it can be amazing to watch the world record speedrun, especially of a game you've played yourself), but generally I think most people will take their favourite streamer playing any old game than a random streamer playing a game that personally appeals to them.

Dan tends to miss secrets left and right during his Side Quest playthroughs, but he's remarkably good natured about the errors he makes. Being that he also works in the gaming industry (artist if I recall correctly), he also gives bits of insight on how some things work and will openly ponder about other things. He also has some videos talking about videogame animation, including a rather indepth one on the Sonic franchise.

Here's his Hollow Knight playthrough.

EDIT, fixing stupid link.

a real-ass gaddam sword

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #35 on: 11 May 2021, 23:49 »

Re: the text at the bottom of the comic: faulty seals, probably.

You know, for the water bath.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Gyrre

« Reply #36 on: 12 May 2021, 02:59 »

New comic.

Oooh, interesting development! May would be a good choice, provided that she doesn't start bossing Marigold around, or making rude noises while Marigold is streaming. May would be good at keeping Marigold's identity a secret: she respects privacy.

But what would her handle be? Marigold's is burger oni, so perhaps some other yokai? Hot dog kapa? Sesame shirime?
a real-ass gaddam sword

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #37 on: 12 May 2021, 03:10 »

I had to look up what hotdog machines are, as that's a bit of an alien concept to me. As food stalls usually prepare hot dogs/bratwursts on the spot.

I'm following a few streamers since a year and half, and it's more the streamer's personality, the jokes, hijinks and the community around it. If it's a game I like then that's good, if not then I might still watch for the FOMO.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #38 on: 12 May 2021, 05:12 »

This is all fascinating to me, and I have to keep reminding myself I like watching lots of “people doing things while talking” vids to make sense of it.

Hot dog machines leak because they have a tray full of water at the bottom that steams so the hot dogs don’t dry out on the roller thing.

And may doesn’t always be nice to Marigold so idk if Marigold would be interested in this.

Baz_Yat

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #39 on: 12 May 2021, 05:53 »

My first thought: Oh god, no, Not May.
My second thought: Actually no, hang on this might be good for both of them.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #40 on: 12 May 2021, 08:03 »

I kinda suspect we aren't talking about top of the line hot dogs here.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #41 on: 12 May 2021, 08:52 »

[sneaks in away from work]

Hi, my vote is for Fairy / Unicorn / that weird girl that would cosplay all day, every day.

Leaking Hot Dog Machine?
Dang that would be one of those things that you find at those truck stop places with the mystery meat and lard cylinders wrapped in cellulose casings mislabelled as All American All Beef Hot Dogs.

[sneaks back to work]
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #42 on: 12 May 2021, 14:07 »

US convenience store X - - -  It hardly matters what X is - we all know its quality
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #43 on: 12 May 2021, 14:13 »

I can't agree. There's more to being a manager than being bossy, which is May's main trait. Actually, I think being bossy is a serious drawback. There's a big difference between being assertive when necessary and enjoying pushing people around for its own sake, and May is very much the latter. Bubbles, for example, is self-confident and assertive without being bossy.

Anyway, leaving that aside, you need to be organized and motivated. Have we seen May really accomplish anything on her own? Aside from the failed heist that happens before we first meet her. Bubbles and Roko are the characters I usually think of when we're talking about getting stuff done.

I've never dealt with a business manager - which is a different job than middle management - but it feels a bit like being a project lead, and I have a lot of experience with that, both as a project lead myself, and dealing with other project leads. Mostly the good ones were very focused on Getting The Job Done. I'm having trouble envisioning May _caring_ about organizing Marigold's life. It seems more likely she'd just see it as another shitty job, and she'd do a half-assed job as a result.

However... given that Jeph is clearly nominating May, it'll probably go a different way. My read on what May would do, based on past behavior, isn't really predictive of the strip.

I can see where you're coming from, the portrayal that we have seen of May so far doesn't inspire confidence. However, I feel that there are mitigating circumstances. For the most part, we say May as the ex-convict, stuck in a shitty, dead-end job and in a shitty, dead-end chassis. Neither of those would really inspire her to go above and beyond, and it has been theorized on the forum that the crappy body might have caused her continuous pain. She has a new body now, but the job is the same. Finding a new one is hard for her with her criminal record.

May can certainly be bossy, but we have also seen her be helpful and supportive when she wants to be. She also likes and respects Marigold (for the most part anyway, the off-color jokes notwithstanding), and I think she'd jump at the chance to have a better paying job that doesn't involve leaking hot dog machines and shooing teenagers out of the store with a broom. Once she has that, she will try with all of her might not to screw it up.

David F

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #44 on: 12 May 2021, 14:57 »

May can certainly be bossy, but we have also seen her be helpful and supportive when she wants to be. She also likes and respects Marigold (for the most part anyway, the off-color jokes notwithstanding), and I think she'd jump at the chance to have a better paying job that doesn't involve leaking hot dog machines and shooing teenagers out of the store with a broom. Once she has that, she will try with all of her might not to screw it up.

We know she has poor impulse control, so there's lots of room for hilarious failures.  I think she's also self-aware enough to say "do not give me any kind of authority over your money".  (If she doesn't Momo will make that point for her.)  Absent that temptation, it could work, for various humourous values of "work".

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #45 on: 12 May 2021, 16:47 »

I think "Hot Gulp" brand coffee is a bit of a give-away. Although the one and only time I tried Starbucks's coffee... yeah, a hot gulp would be about right.

I had to google "hot dog machine". I thought hot-dogs were just boiled, but what do I know, I'm a vegetarian?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #46 on: 12 May 2021, 18:20 »

New comic.

Well, Momo certainly isn't wearing rose colored glasses when it comes to May's personality.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #47 on: 12 May 2021, 18:21 »

Well, admittedly May knows finances.... kinda.  :-P

Baz_Yat

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #48 on: 12 May 2021, 18:51 »

I think Momo's right. This will be good for May and Marigold both.

Gyrre

« Reply #49 on: 12 May 2021, 20:29 »

US convenience store X - - -  It hardly matters what X is - we all know its quality

Come to the Midwest, we've got QuikTrip. The hotdog quality is a bit better, and they originated those roller stands you've seen ripped-off and shoe-horned in at millions of other gas stations with half the quality.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up