- 3 (12%)
Onlyfans
- 2 (8%)
Gambling on Robot Fighting
- 5 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: 23 May 2021, 19:56

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 17-21 May 2021 (4526-4530)  (Read 21477 times)

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
Re: WCDT 17-21 May 2021 (4526-4530)
« Reply #50 on: 21 May 2021, 05:07 »

The Wiki rabbit hole is really, I'm sure almost all of us at some point have caught ourselves on a certain wiki page and wondering how on earth we ended up there.

Not a bad thing per se by the way, I have learned a lot of general facts that I would not have known otherwise. Useful, maybe not so much, but who cares about that?

Potato Farmer

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #51 on: 21 May 2021, 07:43 »

For some reason my mind insists Hanners should be taller than Dora.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #52 on: 21 May 2021, 09:45 »

Hanners mentions that she has a photographic memory when Tilly is trying to sell her on why she needs a PA.  It's possible she looked it up once to settle a bet, or after a conversation with Pintsize, or just one of those random "I went to Wikipedia to look up tapirs and now I'm reading about medieval Italian painting and it was on the way" nights when she couldn't sleep.  (Don't ask, I don't know what path would get you there, but it's Wikipedia.  I'm sure it could.)
tapirs — endangered species — rhinoceros — first rhinoceros in Europe — gift to pope — medieval italian hiistory
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Marco

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Not quite an earthling
« Reply #53 on: 21 May 2021, 10:24 »

I was tempted to Google 'sexy girl with an abacus' but then realised I didn't want to know.

Shockingly, it's tamer than you'd think! The first couple of dozen are stock photos and just pretty women holding abacuses.

Unless you look for videos.

Just don't do it!

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #54 on: 21 May 2021, 11:13 »

Noted.

[I've been on the internet long enough to know to heed weird warnings.]
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

SeaWoodStage

• Emoticontraindication
  • I make a lovely cuppa.
« Reply #55 on: 21 May 2021, 16:22 »

For some reason my mind insists Hanners should be taller than Dora.
I thought the very same thing! I don't actually know why though.

SeaWoodStage

• Emoticontraindication
  • I make a lovely cuppa.
« Reply #56 on: 21 May 2021, 16:40 »

I think this might be the first time I've ever actually liked May. She always irritated the f out of me before. I'm aware that she's suffered a lot, probably disproportionately, but it always annoys me a bit the way that other characters sacrifice stuff for her, and she's nothing but unpleasant and rude to most of them.
But now I think I might start to like May.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #57 on: 21 May 2021, 17:55 »

Sit down, take deep breaths until the feeling passes.  :-P

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #58 on: 21 May 2021, 18:01 »

Why is that etymological fact something Hannelore happens to know off the top of her head?

It's been established that Claire and Aurelia are interested in this sort of thing, so I could see that response coming from them, or from an AI character who might just be looking it up on the fly, but I struggle to imagine Hannelore wanting to look up the etymology of those words.

Actually, I can understand that. Picking up totally random facts, then getting interested and digging further, is something I have always done too.
It doesn't have to be a particular interest or specialty of mine, it's just some fact that rears its head and attracts my attention. (My mind is sort of like a kitten pouncing on shadows) :-D

I'm somewhat worse now [points accusingly at Internet:roll: - it means I don't have to go find an encyclopaedia anymore, it's all right here.

My mother used to refer to it as my "garbage-can mind" - I prefer to call it being good at quizzes  :-D

It's one of the reasons I like Hannelore - though she does take it to the extreme, probably because she has her OCD symptoms and is (apparently) something of a genius too.
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #59 on: 21 May 2021, 21:04 »

I tend to fall into YouTube rabbit holes.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #60 on: 21 May 2021, 21:45 »

Hanners mentions that she has a photographic memory when Tilly is trying to sell her on why she needs a PA.  It's possible she looked it up once to settle a bet, or after a conversation with Pintsize, or just one of those random "I went to Wikipedia to look up tapirs and now I'm reading about medieval Italian painting and it was on the way" nights when she couldn't sleep.  (Don't ask, I don't know what path would get you there, but it's Wikipedia.  I'm sure it could.)
tapirs — endangered species — rhinoceros — first rhinoceros in Europe — gift to pope — medieval italian hiistory

First link in the article and straight on till morning.
Quis pater tibi est?

QuestionableIntentions

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #61 on: 21 May 2021, 21:51 »

So we're just not discussing Dira wanting to immediately break Marigold's trust?

And Hanner's isn't going to confront her too? Are we going to let her get away with shitty behaviour again?

awkwardness

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #62 on: 21 May 2021, 22:45 »

I was tempted to Google 'sexy girl with an abacus' but then realised I didn't want to know.

Shockingly, it's tamer than you'd think! The first couple of dozen are stock photos and just pretty women holding abacuses.

Unless you look for videos.

Just don't do it!

Touche!

I think this might be the first time I've ever actually liked May. She always irritated the f out of me before. I'm aware that she's suffered a lot, probably disproportionately, but it always annoys me a bit the way that other characters sacrifice stuff for her, and she's nothing but unpleasant and rude to most of them.

She tries her hardest to be unlikable, but there's something about her that makes you pity her then later makes you understand her. She grew on us, she's starting to mature now that she has decent friends, a guiding light in Momo and Dale, and respects Marigold. She's basically a kid who's finally graduating to the real world and trying hard to make a go and now that she is finding support she is able to soften and smooth her rough edges.

And frankly, I think she's like an average high school kid who got stuck working bad jobs to support herself but now that she has a skill that's useful and needed she is able to shine on her own.

I tend to fall into YouTube rabbit holes.

I got hooked on the LockPickingLawyer and ended up going down a rabbit hole of guns, history, and video games...I ended up subscribing to a bunch of channels as the folks are actually pretty funny and experts at what they talk about even though they'd scare some people.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2021, 22:52 by awkwardness »

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #63 on: 22 May 2021, 00:11 »

Joerg Sprave, founder of the Slingshot channel (now just his name, JoergSprave).
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

neurocase

• Furry furrier
« Reply #64 on: 22 May 2021, 00:40 »

Been a while since we've seen "sleazy old man dora"

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #65 on: 22 May 2021, 07:01 »

Tai will be so happy to learn that Marigold is not, in fact, selling nudes.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

TV4Fun

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #66 on: 22 May 2021, 23:46 »

So we're just not discussing Dira wanting to immediately break Marigold's trust?

And Hanner's isn't going to confront her too? Are we going to let her get away with shitty behaviour again?
Apparently not. I guess we were all just thinking "damn, I haven't talked to Dora in a while, I wonder why we got out of touch," and then were like "oh, now I remember."

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #67 on: 23 May 2021, 09:23 »

Well Hannelore did respond with a protest in panel 2 - maybe somewhat taken aback by Dora's apparent about-face regarding Marigold's privacy?  - and with what looks like an attempt at diverting Dora's attention (to May's "puppies") in the 3rd panel...  :-D

Maybe she believes Dora can be kept honest without getting too confrontational about it?
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Potato Farmer

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #68 on: 23 May 2021, 17:47 »

Given that Dora now knows Marigold isn't selling nudes and doesn't know what she's actually doing I'm guessing Hannelore just figured it'd be easier to leave it be, since Dora is unlikely to spread false gossip.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #69 on: 23 May 2021, 18:14 »

Basically what I figured. Dora never said that she would tell Tai about the nudes, just that she would struggle with not telling. Hanners confronted her about it, and that was that. What more needs to be said?
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up