THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Will Marten have to help Pintsize clean cake batter out of his new chassis?

Yes
No
Maybe
Other (what will Marten have to help clean out?)
spathe ham

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT May 31st - June 4th (4536-4540)  (Read 27403 times)

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
Re: WCDT May 31st - June 4th (4536-4540)
« Reply #50 on: 02 Jun 2021, 10:27 »

Ignoring that it's not in the comic...

Wait, "Defund the Police" is hate speech how...?
It makes sense to a Conservative - it's a dog whistle statement meaning, in essence, the police are the bad guys, so let's get rid of them entirely and let anarchy rule.

Of course, to the people saying such things, only a small minority actually mean "let anarchy rule".  The rest are having a "we keep dumping duties and no funds on the police, let's remove the extra duties to groups more trained for such and transfer any related funding with them." moment that's poorly expressed as "defund the police".  But I'm an "ignorant librull" (yes, that's the proper conservative spelling), so what do I know??!??
This space intentionally left almost blank.

_Islanio

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • This eagerness to change..
« Reply #51 on: 02 Jun 2021, 11:16 »

I see as positive the body (and consequently, personality) change in Pintsize. With more time, we'll get used to his new looks. And, as stated by Claire, with a less weirdo behaviour.
oh

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #52 on: 02 Jun 2021, 12:23 »

Grognard, you do not make things up. You just don't. Am I looking in the wrong place, or has Jeph removed it since you posted? I checked to the end of the page, for today and yesterday.

Global Moderator Comment Arguing about Jeph's choices belongs here. Arguing about the police needs to go in DISCUSS.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #53 on: 02 Jun 2021, 13:37 »

It looks like Jeph removed it. It was definitely there last night, and it was there on the Patreon post.

Edit — wait, I’m confused. I think what Grognard is referring to is in the Patreon post for tonight’s comic, not the one from last night.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

TV4Fun

« Reply #54 on: 02 Jun 2021, 14:17 »

He's responding to tomorrow's comic that's up on Patreon.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #55 on: 02 Jun 2021, 15:41 »

Let's please not discuss Patreon posts until they're published for free.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #56 on: 02 Jun 2021, 17:14 »

May be Jeph should consider renaming this strip B. U. D. D. I. E. S. or something similar? I'm actually serious. This isn't Questionable Content really, it's a thematically and atmospherically different work with very different ground rules.

I dunno, it seems like a few people in this thread find the current content questionable, for some reason.

It still feels like the same comic to me, just moving forward and expanding. Except for the lack of much to do with Marten and music, maybe, but while that was always a Thing for him, it was never really central to the comic, so it doesn't feel odd that it's more or less fallen off even if I notice the absence.

I mean heck, for the poster who suggested it's overly dramatic now with the Cerebus remark, this bit opened with Pintsize slapping googly eyes on his face to prank people in the morning. Extreme melodrama there, not lighthearted at all.
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2021, 17:21 by Shjade »
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

baronvonfritz

• Plantmonster
« Reply #57 on: 02 Jun 2021, 17:23 »

At the risk of sounding like a ridiculous fanboy...   I've been reading QC since finding out that Faye's breasts are a powerful narcotic.  The humor, the wit, the exploration of Jeph's life through the expressions that are the characters has been awesome all these years.  The idea barrel isn't empty, it never was a barrel to begin with.  It's always been just Jeph, as an open book: thoughts, concepts, abstractions, emotions, exploration, ideas, hopes, redemption; viewed through the constructs of his universe.  People, as they get older, change, so too his characters.  Some grow if they are self aware, others, with little self reflection, just get older, and maybe just eat cereal, thinking about a past adventure from Russia.  We've watched a cast of aspects endure the sharp angst of youth, confront past trauma, suffer through alcoholism, find love, lose love, find happiness for the ones they loved, overcome deeply rooted anxieties, explore what it means to be sentient, and still be able to find levity in the balance. I've been questioning when Pintsize was going to have his day, I look forward to the content, and welcome this new Quartsize.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #58 on: 02 Jun 2021, 19:34 »

Didn't Pintsize have a tie on?

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #59 on: 02 Jun 2021, 19:50 »

He took it off during the previous comic (I had to go back and check).

I feel ill equipped to comment on the 'ACAB' uttering by Pintsize.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #60 on: 02 Jun 2021, 19:54 »

Its a thing.

Tho considering QC takes place in a parallel universe to ours, would the police stuff that hit here have happened there?

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #61 on: 02 Jun 2021, 20:22 »

Given that we've seen QC cops either be Super Troopers or basically real cops (and, like real cops, the not bad ones seem to do fuck all about the bad ones) and most of the characters seem to have a level of outright fear of the police, I'd say it's a pretty fair bet that a significant enough minority of cops in QC-verse are very much bastards.
Quis pater tibi est?

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #62 on: 02 Jun 2021, 20:56 »

Wat? No more Chaos Goblin? Instead another insecure hipster? Whyyyy?  :emotrex:

And can I just say how much I love Claire telling people how they should behave, how they should be? And telling them what their bodies should mean for them? I want to see her reaction if someone did that to her.

I didn't interpret the comic that way. I saw it more as Claire trying to help Pintsize identify his emotions ("is this how you feel?" rather than "this is what you're feeling"). If he had replied "no, that's not it", she would have accepted that. Also remember that Claire knows Pintsize quite well, better than Marten does in some ways. She knows how far she can go.

This has been a long time coming in ways Marten didn’t notice. The first few strips of this blasted comic had Marten going out, with Pintsize’s encouragement, even as Pintsize joked about feeling lonely and not necessarily liking the limitations of that body.

John Allenson

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #63 on: 02 Jun 2021, 21:00 »

I do want to see what Pintsize first ideas for clothing were.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #64 on: 02 Jun 2021, 21:09 »

Are you sure about that? :D

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier
« Reply #65 on: 02 Jun 2021, 22:40 »

I'm figuring something crotchless.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #66 on: 02 Jun 2021, 23:10 »

The police at the sledding party were mellow.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #67 on: 02 Jun 2021, 23:44 »

May be Jeph should consider renaming this strip B. U. D. D. I. E. S. or something similar? I'm actually serious. This isn't Questionable Content really, it's a thematically and atmospherically different work with very different ground rules.

I dunno, it seems like a few people in this thread find the current content questionable, for some reason.

It still feels like the same comic to me, just moving forward and expanding. Except for the lack of much to do with Marten and music, maybe, but while that was always a Thing for him, it was never really central to the comic, so it doesn't feel odd that it's more or less fallen off even if I notice the absence.

I mean heck, for the poster who suggested it's overly dramatic now with the Cerebus remark, this bit opened with Pintsize slapping googly eyes on his face to prank people in the morning. Extreme melodrama there, not lighthearted at all.

I can see where the argument is coming from. Though, the old cast turn up oftenenough that I'm not sure if we should have a full Narbonic-Skin Horse thing (ending one comic officially and moving to another story set in the same universe with some ties to the original story).
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #68 on: 03 Jun 2021, 00:12 »

I would not take any bets that Pintsize is speaking for Jeph here, or that Pintsize is being serious.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #69 on: 03 Jun 2021, 00:59 »

My impression is that Jeph is very fond of writing “He’s/She’s not wrong” under the comic when a character is speaking for him.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gyrre

« Reply #70 on: 03 Jun 2021, 02:04 »

As long as it's not ahego hoodies (i.e. very upsetting).
a real-ass gaddam sword

notStanley

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #71 on: 03 Jun 2021, 08:23 »

If Claire gets the job testing toys, what does that do to her librarian aspirations?  Would she abandon the toys crew, gleefully, or with regret?  Once committed would she stay a year or two?  Has she thought about that yet?  Or just panicking about short term cash flow?

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #72 on: 03 Jun 2021, 09:23 »

Combine jobs. Stealth-test toys at the library to test discretion/subtlety.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

baronvonfritz

• Plantmonster
« Reply #73 on: 03 Jun 2021, 11:09 »

Oh heheheheh, fashion police are bastards  :laugh: Lawdy, don't take it so seriously, looks like Jeph hasn't.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #74 on: 03 Jun 2021, 13:34 »

The police at the sledding party were mellow.

Was the cast still majority white?

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #75 on: 03 Jun 2021, 14:04 »

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #76 on: 03 Jun 2021, 14:40 »

Today I thought ACAB when a cop showed up on a reality tv show, well until he started stripping.

Wombat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #77 on: 03 Jun 2021, 18:09 »

One time I was working in a high school and a girl was wearing one of those, and I didn't really know what to do about it.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #78 on: 03 Jun 2021, 18:43 »

New comic up.

"Dildo tours!"

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #79 on: 03 Jun 2021, 18:47 »

Grognard, you do not make things up. You just don't. Am I looking in the wrong place, or has Jeph removed it since you posted? I checked to the end of the page, for today and yesterday.

Arguing about Jeph's choices belongs here. Arguing about the police needs to go in DISCUSS.

I had a longer post about why I think the term ACAB is problematic in general, but removed it since it was more in general.
Let’s just say that while I heavily support defunding the police, I am also strongly against the term ACAB, and am a little disappointed that Jeph used it. Then again, QC has gradually moved towards mostly being a mouthpiece to tackle societal issues that Jeph cares deeply about, so its not really surprising.

dutchrvl

« Reply #80 on: 03 Jun 2021, 18:52 »

Anyone else get the sense that Jeph decided that a wacky grope-bot with magical fingerless hands doesn't fit with how the strip evolved, so he's just gonna give him a new body and a new personality in one fell swoop?

I’d argue that the ‘vessel’ or body a person (can) present in is likely to heavily affect a characters personality, especially if it’s a massive change from previously.
I think it makes sense pintsize will have a different personality in this body, and one that will evolve too.

Gyrre

« Reply #81 on: 03 Jun 2021, 20:15 »

Combine jobs. Stealth-test toys at the library to test discretion/subtlety.

:-o :-o :-o
a real-ass gaddam sword

John Allenson

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #83 on: 03 Jun 2021, 21:49 »

Since neither Momo nor Winslow had a personality change when they changed their chassis I don't see why Pintsize would either.

Granted, I think Pintsize will have to change the ways he expresses his personality.  But there have been indications through the years that a lot of his 'chaos goblin' persona is an act.  After all, he has managed to maintain friendships with Momo, Bubbles, and Winslow.  I don't expect his humanoid chassis will all of a sudden change him into a rape-bot any more than when he got lasers in his stomach turning him into a murderbot.

About today's comic.
It sounds like the dildo factory might need someone really good at paperwork.  There may yet be a job for Claire.

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier
« Reply #84 on: 03 Jun 2021, 22:01 »

APPLIED DILDONICS

Beat me to remarking on the company name, and how much I liked it.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #85 on: 03 Jun 2021, 23:08 »

Here's a solid prediction: Librarians have to be organised; Beepatrice is not organised. Librarians need to know how to use office equipment; Beepatrice has a borderline-phobic response to office equipment. Claire is going to end up trying to help Beepatrice tidy up the office. Within 10 strips, she'll be the office manager (possibly after Beepatrice literally begs her to take the job).

Unless Jeph can think of anything funny to happen, Claire's job will never be central to any further strip ever again, only a background detail.

You read it here first.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #86 on: 04 Jun 2021, 00:14 »

Hmmm, you never know. Jeph likes to take the long path. Claire's job might become a main topic again in a year's time or something.

_Islanio

• This eagerness to change..
« Reply #87 on: 04 Jun 2021, 05:31 »

I dunno, seemed more like a joke that lasted more than a strip. Jeph's probably gonna mess around with the idea of she getting a job somewhere else, and Marten having to deal with (again) the long distance stuff, at least for a while. Factory tour might be fun to see tho.
Lots of potential jokes.
As for Pintsize's personality, it'll have to change. Some of his more extreme jokes just won't work. Also, his previously mentioned ram limitation might no longer be a thing. He'll "open the doors of perception" in some way.
oh

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #88 on: 04 Jun 2021, 08:36 »

Psst!
Someone with library skillz would be -great- with paperwork...
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Dock Braun

• Curry sauce
  • Wear a mask.
« Reply #89 on: 04 Jun 2021, 15:18 »

:mrgreen: Applied Dildonics' data-entry positions are filled.not sorry
Trouble with the world isn't too many people―it's too many bodies. ---Professor E. Kingswater

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #90 on: 04 Jun 2021, 19:11 »

As for Pintsize's personality, it'll have to change. Some of his more extreme jokes just won't work. Also, his previously mentioned ram limitation might no longer be a thing. He'll "open the doors of perception" in some way.

No more hanging from the ceiling or duct-taping himself to the wall?   :-D

Also he's going to have to tiptoe around Faye (as he stated earlier, his new bod is less resilient than the old one) - but most of all, he can't rely on being overlooked by being small. He'll have to use a more subtle approach to pranks, rather than the old whoopee cushion\bucket-of-water-over-the-door approach we've come to expect from Pintsize.
So, yes, a certain change in his personality is on the cards - and if handled well, it would be a sign of growth (I suppose horrible little goblins can grow too!)   
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #91 on: 04 Jun 2021, 23:07 »

One time I was working in a high school and a girl was wearing one of those, and I didn't really know what to do about it.
Had to look it up.  She was wearing one of those?  Back in my day, a kid would be told to turn his shirt inside out or change it if wearing a South Park shirt, even if there was no swearing or dead Kennys on it.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Gyrre

« Reply #92 on: 06 Jun 2021, 03:51 »

Had to look it up.  She was wearing one of those?  Back in my day, a kid would be told to turn his shirt inside out or change it if wearing a South Park shirt, even if there was no swearing or dead Kennys on it.
Same.
Ditto for Beavis and Butthead stuff.
a real-ass gaddam sword

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #93 on: 06 Jun 2021, 09:02 »

Hell, I got in trouble for wearing a Dead Kennedys "In God We Trust, Inc" t-shirt in high school.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #94 on: 06 Jun 2021, 09:24 »

You (plural) should petition to change that stupid motto back. Because right now it’s rhyming awful hard with “we disavow all responsibility”, no?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #95 on: 06 Jun 2021, 16:35 »

We know what happened to the old body....

https://somethingpositive.net/comic/pintsized-recycling/

Wombat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #96 on: 06 Jun 2021, 18:53 »

I generally don't agree with dress codes and don't like enforcing them, though there have been a couple times I've told kids to put on or zip up a jacket or something (these were when their shirts contained explicit depictions of drugs). But in this case, my role in the class wasn't one where I had the authority to enforce the dress code even if I wanted to. There was also a classroom teacher, but she didn't seem to "get" the hoodie, so I was stuck on if I should explain the ahego hoodie to her or not. Then a student needed help and then class ended, and the girl went on her ahego hoodie wearing way.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #97 on: 09 Jun 2021, 11:31 »

I'm figuring something crotchless.
Skirts and dresses fit into that category, but Pintsize has always come across as male to me.  I shall wait and see.
This space intentionally left almost blank.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up