Fun Stuff > BAND

How do you typically listen-to or acquire music?

(1/2) > >>

Veritable_Variable:
Basically, what is your usual means of accessing music, and how do you typically listen to it once accessed?

I currently use Youtube and Bandcamp: Youtube both for finding music I already know, and for discovering new stuff; Bandcamp for purchasing and downloading albums that interest me, and further investigating artists whose music I like. I've been meaning to use Bandcamp more as a primary source of music discovery moving forwards.

I usually don't listen to music on the go; mainly just while at my computer or in the general vicinity.

How about you?

celticgeek:
I use YouTube for listening to music at my computer, although I have ripped a large number of CDs and have them available as playlists on my computer.  If I am buying music I usually go first to the artist's website, then to BandCamp or CDBaby, then to other music stores (Amazon, etc), but I usually buy and download digital copies, in flac, if possible).

pwhodges:
I have all my CDs, DVDs, and Blurays ripped on a dedicated server running Emby, so I can stream any of it anywhere.  My main listening system is based round my desk computer with a classic (discontinued) E-MU 1616m interface, Quad 405-2 amps and ex-BBC LS5/9 monitors in a surround configuration.  The screen is an ancient 30" Apple Cinema monitor.

Out and about, walking the dogs, I listen using bluetooth phones or earbuds connected to my iPhone; for video viewing (films and anime) when away I take a Roku Streaming Stick+ with an Emby client on it.

As for acquiring, I buy it - somewhat rarely now as I have several thousand CDs.  I also record concerts for people (as a ex-BBC radio recording engineer), and listen to some of those from time to time.  Opera videos I also watch on https://operavision.eu.

Skewbrow:
I have everything (=ripped CDs and/or downloads) on my laptop. The rest of my family has very different tastes or schedules, and my stereo set up kinda sucks, so consumption via headphones is best. I have separate slightly higher quality headphones for enjoying music, and a different headset for internet meetings and such, so it's fine.

I have not considered using cloud storage yet. Basically because A) they still fit into my hard drive, B) I'm rather old-fashioned. My purchases used to be CDs exclusively, but that changed at the beginning of the pandemic, and my meager Bandcamp collection just reached the 100 album mark. I still purchase also CDs (by mail), if I want to support the artist a bit more. Or, simply because I also want to listen to it while driving. In other words, a subset of my CDs is in the glove compartment of my car. True, most music cannot be properly enjoyed with the car/traffic noise in the background. I guess it would be possible to bring music on a stick to my car also, but I haven't bothered figuring out how exactly that would happen.

I never use my smartphone for music. If travelling or at work, I have my laptop with me.

Gyrre:
YouTube, SoundCloud, Bandcamp, OverClocked ReMix, and CDs acquired from various stores ripped to my computer.

EDIT: Either a pair of decent $20 speakers or a pair of good $12 earbuds (managed to find a pair w/o a damned mic built in at the local Micro Center).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version