THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you typically listen-to or acquire music?  (Read 12506 times)

Veritable_Variable

• Not quite a lurker
  • He/They

Basically, what is your usual means of accessing music, and how do you typically listen to it once accessed?

I currently use Youtube and Bandcamp: Youtube both for finding music I already know, and for discovering new stuff; Bandcamp for purchasing and downloading albums that interest me, and further investigating artists whose music I like. I've been meaning to use Bandcamp more as a primary source of music discovery moving forwards.

I usually don't listen to music on the go; mainly just while at my computer or in the general vicinity.

How about you?

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
Re: How do you typically listen-to or acquire music?
« Reply #1 on: 02 Jun 2021, 20:27 »

I use YouTube for listening to music at my computer, although I have ripped a large number of CDs and have them available as playlists on my computer.  If I am buying music I usually go first to the artist's website, then to BandCamp or CDBaby, then to other music stores (Amazon, etc), but I usually buy and download digital copies, in flac, if possible).
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2 on: 03 Jun 2021, 00:40 »

I have all my CDs, DVDs, and Blurays ripped on a dedicated server running Emby, so I can stream any of it anywhere.  My main listening system is based round my desk computer with a classic (discontinued) E-MU 1616m interface, Quad 405-2 amps and ex-BBC LS5/9 monitors in a surround configuration.  The screen is an ancient 30" Apple Cinema monitor.

Out and about, walking the dogs, I listen using bluetooth phones or earbuds connected to my iPhone; for video viewing (films and anime) when away I take a Roku Streaming Stick+ with an Emby client on it.

As for acquiring, I buy it - somewhat rarely now as I have several thousand CDs.  I also record concerts for people (as a ex-BBC radio recording engineer), and listen to some of those from time to time.  Opera videos I also watch on https://operavision.eu.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #3 on: 04 Jun 2021, 07:11 »

I have everything (=ripped CDs and/or downloads) on my laptop. The rest of my family has very different tastes or schedules, and my stereo set up kinda sucks, so consumption via headphones is best. I have separate slightly higher quality headphones for enjoying music, and a different headset for internet meetings and such, so it's fine.

I have not considered using cloud storage yet. Basically because A) they still fit into my hard drive, B) I'm rather old-fashioned. My purchases used to be CDs exclusively, but that changed at the beginning of the pandemic, and my meager Bandcamp collection just reached the 100 album mark. I still purchase also CDs (by mail), if I want to support the artist a bit more. Or, simply because I also want to listen to it while driving. In other words, a subset of my CDs is in the glove compartment of my car. True, most music cannot be properly enjoyed with the car/traffic noise in the background. I guess it would be possible to bring music on a stick to my car also, but I haven't bothered figuring out how exactly that would happen.

I never use my smartphone for music. If travelling or at work, I have my laptop with me.
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2021, 10:01 by Skewbrow »
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2021, 04:54 »

YouTube, SoundCloud, Bandcamp, OverClocked ReMix, and CDs acquired from various stores ripped to my computer.

EDIT: Either a pair of decent $20 speakers or a pair of good $12 earbuds (managed to find a pair w/o a damned mic built in at the local Micro Center).
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2021, 23:16 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2021, 07:08 »

I typically listen to what I have already acquired at home on my computer, which is connected to my sound system (including turntable) at home, and have an Apple Music sub when I’m away, which also helps me find some new stuff.  The rest of the new music I find is either through streaming playlists that include it, word of mouth, or Shazam when I hear something interesting being played wherever I am.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #6 on: 07 Jul 2021, 16:58 »

There are YouTube channels I’m subscribed to that introduce new artists, a local radio station also has genre shows, I’ve found more than a few new (to me) artists on multi-disc compilations, and there’s always word of mouth recommendations from fellow music aficionados.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2021, 02:01 »

I have not considered using cloud storage yet. Basically because A) they still fit into my hard drive, B) I'm rather old-fashioned.
I never use my smartphone for music. If travelling or at work, I have my laptop with me.

I do both because I'm old and it took me many yrs to get 15Gb of music. Look at Cloudplayer if you ever do go the Cloud route. Works really well with OneDrive (of all things). I'm using my employers TB of space for "work." But now I also bought a 512 Gb microSD for my droid phone. I have a backup of my library on this "work" laptop (I bought this as I'm a 1099 now) and an old i3 Dell laptop I converted to Linux Mint. I'm trying to use the dell as the household jukebox, but it's tedious. Mostly because Maria really don't wanna hear it. :D
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly
Pages: [1]   Go Up