Milkweed to attract butterflies
- 2 (10.5%)
Milk toast
- 0 (0%)
Copulating copper cop
- 1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT June 14th - June 18th (4546-4550)  (Read 12426 times)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Re: WCDT June 14th - June 18th (4546-4550)
« Reply #50 on: 17 Jun 2021, 00:27 »

There was a black market of yellow margarine

Possibly the weirdest thing I’ve ever read here.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #51 on: 17 Jun 2021, 02:42 »

I have to assume that May's chassis was lightly refurbished and immediately handed off to the next parolee as a cost saving measure by robot Jail.
I really hope that isn't true.
We all know it probably is, though...
Well, ISTR it was stated that any other chassis they had were worse (or was it nothing better?)

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Timemaster

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Master of Time
« Reply #53 on: 17 Jun 2021, 05:25 »

I know I'm two days late for this, but:

Quote from: Jeph
I'm very tickled by the idea of someone wearing a tube top under a lab coat.

When I was studying Chemistry 30 years ago, I had to take a course in a lab which had a large window front to the south and no climate control. It was a hot and sunny summer day and we all were steaming in our own juices underneath our mandatory lab coats. Then a female fellow student went to the rest room and returned with her lab coat on but her t-shirt in her hand. Over a short time three or four of our female collegues did the same.

I can tell you, knowing that your female fellow student ist just wearing her bra under her lab coat is very tickling.  :roll:

It's an old story, but comic #4547 brought it back to my mind. I thought, I'd share it with you.

TM
Relax, it's just a comic.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #54 on: 17 Jun 2021, 06:40 »

Clinton and Elliot continue to be adorable.

notStanley

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #55 on: 17 Jun 2021, 09:34 »

I can tell you, knowing that your female fellow student ist just wearing her bra under her lab coat is very tickling.  :roll:

Titillation can be very context specific.  There is not much objective difference between "just a bra under her t-shirt" and "just a bra under her lab coat".  Yet the situational differences help trigger all sorts of imaginings :}

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #56 on: 17 Jun 2021, 10:20 »

I can tell you, knowing that your female fellow student is just wearing her bra under her lab coat is very tickling.  :roll:

Clearly more research in this area is needed. For science!
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

David F

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #57 on: 17 Jun 2021, 15:29 »

I can tell you, knowing that your female fellow student is just wearing her bra under her lab coat is very tickling.  :roll:

Clearly more research in this area is needed. For science!

That reminds me of a certain El Goonish Shive fantasy sequence

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #58 on: 17 Jun 2021, 18:03 »

Comic's up.

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #59 on: 17 Jun 2021, 18:15 »

And repeat:

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

_Islanio

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • This eagerness to change..
« Reply #60 on: 17 Jun 2021, 18:58 »

It would've been funny of Elliott were to do just like Cosmo.
Also: AWWWWWWWWWW
oh

awkwardness

« Reply #61 on: 17 Jun 2021, 19:37 »

When I was studying Chemistry 30 years ago, I had to take a course in a lab which had a large window front to the south and no climate control. It was a hot and sunny summer day and we all were steaming in our own juices underneath our mandatory lab coats. Then a female fellow student went to the rest room and returned with her lab coat on but her t-shirt in her hand. Over a short time three or four of our female collegues did the same.

It's an old story, but comic #4547 brought it back to my mind. I thought, I'd share it with you.

TM

That was smart, I hope the guys did the same...but then again I can understand not doing so due to fear of sexual harassment claims.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #62 on: 17 Jun 2021, 20:15 »

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/bootleg-margarine-and-farmer-protests-a-look-back-at-wisconsins-oleo-wars/collection_8101fc4b-a881-5a61-a762-77f4e2db4094.html
Can confirm. SOWIS institutions (hospitals, prisons, universities) weren’t allowed to purchase  margarine in bulk until the 21st Century, IIRC.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #63 on: 17 Jun 2021, 20:43 »

TM

That was smart, I hope the guys did the same...but then again I can understand not doing so due to fear of sexual harassment claims.
Hell, the teacher assistant for my micro lab wore a spaghetti strap shirt under her fully buttoned labcoat all through August.

EDIT: both to correct a typo and clarify my point.

<query> How exactly would the guys following suit and taking off their shirts in the men's bathroom result in a sexual harassment suit?
« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2021, 03:52 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier
« Reply #64 on: 17 Jun 2021, 21:11 »

Speaking from personal experience, Clinton's plan is not going to work.

The subconscious will always translate certain real-world stimulae into certain dream effects, no matter how irrational.

You know how you get a full bladder in the middle of the night, and you have certain dreams as a result? Those dreams where you're running from toilet to toilet, trying to find one to pee in, and you can't find one? Or you find one and you can't pee? Or you pee, and yet you still have to pee? Those don't go away.

My personal, idiosyncratic one involves a dry mouth. If I'm a bit dehydrated at night, my mouth feels a certain way. My sleeping brain interprets that feeling, and I dream that my mouth is full of gum. I'll pull the gum out of my mouth, and it's still full of gum. It never ends. It's not anything like what gum is like in the real world, and I've chewed gum just to remind myself of that, but my subconscious doesn't get the message. It's still dreams about gum.

If Cosmo comes by again and starts giving Clinton more dog kisses, it's going to be dream kisses. Even if Clinton knows better.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #65 on: 18 Jun 2021, 01:20 »

Cosmo still says that she's the better kisser and is willing to wait until Clinton admits it.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #66 on: 18 Jun 2021, 01:25 »

Speaking from personal experience, Clinton's plan is not going to work.

The subconscious will always translate certain real-world stimulae into certain dream effects, no matter how irrational.

*snip*

I came here to make this exact comment, and you beat me to it.

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier
« Reply #67 on: 18 Jun 2021, 10:52 »

It could have been a yellow market in black margarine. That would be weirder.

Closest I've come to this is a story my grandmother told me about the 1930's. About how it was important to get margarine that was dyed yellow, because if it was white, your neighbors would think you were so poor you were spreading lard on your toast. Actual butter was out of the question.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #68 on: 18 Jun 2021, 17:28 »

Look very closely at the background of panel 3 in comic 4549. Hadn't noticed anything other than white space until now, but I can't unsee it.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

baronvonfritz

• Plantmonster
« Reply #69 on: 18 Jun 2021, 20:41 »

Look very closely at the background of panel 3 in comic 4549. Hadn't noticed anything other than white space until now, but I can't unsee it.

Oh whoa, yeah! I got two monitors, ones my old TN screen where this was up originally, and nothing ever showed up, but when I moved the window to the IPS display it pops up. Tried every kind of setting on my TN screen to get it to show.  I never really believed there was all that much difference between TN and IPS but now I have an example, thanks for pointing that out!

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #70 on: 18 Jun 2021, 21:27 »

Yeah, I just saw it now that it has been pointed out to me.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #71 on: 18 Jun 2021, 21:38 »

Ooh, very subtle! Nicely played by Jeph 😊
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #72 on: 18 Jun 2021, 23:23 »

That is weird. :?  If I look at that panel the way I normally do (on my laptop, from slightly above) I saw nothing but white background. I stared, squinted, tilted my head - nothing.
But then I lifted my laptop so that I was seeing the screen from slightly below - bingo! - there it is! 
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Wombat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #73 on: 19 Jun 2021, 07:23 »

My personal, idiosyncratic one involves a dry mouth. If I'm a bit dehydrated at night, my mouth feels a certain way. My sleeping brain interprets that feeling, and I dream that my mouth is full of gum. I'll pull the gum out of my mouth, and it's still full of gum. It never ends. It's not anything like what gum is like in the real world, and I've chewed gum just to remind myself of that, but my subconscious doesn't get the message. It's still dreams about gum.
Thank you for this, as it explains a similar recurring dream experience for me. Though often for me, the things I'm pulling out of my mouth are sharp. Like, "Hey, let me just get this endless supply of glass shards out of my mouth real quick." I have not tried to correct my brain on what that would *actually* feel like, though.

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier
« Reply #74 on: 19 Jun 2021, 19:00 »

Thank you for this, as it explains a similar recurring dream experience for me.

It's pretty cool that I managed to inadvertently help you with this. Honestly, I didn't think it would resonate with anyone, which is why I led with the pee dream experience, which is pretty much universal.

Unfortunately, knowing better doesn't really help. About the only thing you can do is avoid going to bed thirsty.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #75 on: 20 Jun 2021, 04:00 »

Wait, some of you all didn't see the lil'beef pic at first? I saw it just fine on my cellphone and my monitor.

Thank you for this, as it explains a similar recurring dream experience for me. Though often for me, the things I'm pulling out of my mouth are sharp. Like, "Hey, let me just get this endless supply of glass shards out of my mouth real quick." I have not tried to correct my brain on what that would *actually* feel like, though.

That might (partially) explain the dream I had where I bit a chunk out of my cell phone.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Timemaster

• Master of Time
« Reply #76 on: 20 Jun 2021, 05:45 »

Woah, didn't see that either. I thought it was some dirt on my monitor (which really is a little dirty). Thanks for the info.  :-o
Relax, it's just a comic.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #77 on: 21 Jun 2021, 05:44 »

So, the standard for color nowadays is 8 bits per channel - red, green, and blue - for 24 bits total (plus another 8 for alpha channel, but that isn't relevant here).

Most TN panels are 6 bit. This essentially means that the last two bits are lost, so fine color detail is lost. Modern TN panels sometimes have "FRC", or "temporal dithering", that tries to flicker the image between two values to recover the last two bits of information (as the display has the info, it just isn't able to use it normally).

Conversely, most IPS panels are 8 bit, and some are 10 bit (note that if you don't have 10-bit content, 10-bit panels' extra capability is wasted.

Also, why looking at a TN panel from below helps with viewing this: TN panels suffer from severe color shift when looking at them not straight on. There's films that can be, and are, applied to improve viewing angles, but it typically works best to optimize for left, right, and looking at the panel from above (at least for PC monitors), with no improvement for looking at the panel from below. (Note that some panels are used in a way that you optimize looking at them from below, so looking at it from above would cause the same effect.) That severe color shift is what's revealing the background.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up