THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 20:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who will take Pintsize's place as the strip's new chaos gremlin?

May
- 8 (22.2%)
Melon
- 9 (25%)
Momo
- 0 (0%)
Faye
- 2 (5.6%)
Winslow
- 0 (0%)
Iris
- 0 (0%)
Sven is not a mooch
- 3 (8.3%)
Spathe ham
- 5 (13.9%)
other
- 9 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT June 28th - July 2nd (4556-4560)  (Read 14227 times)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
Re: WCDT June 28th - July 2nd (4556-4560)
« Reply #50 on: 30 Jun 2021, 19:59 »

Poor Elliot. Also, how often is Yay just randomly hanging out there? :D

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #51 on: 30 Jun 2021, 20:16 »

Elliot did say that Yay could come over whenever they wanted
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Beast_Reborn

• Plantmonster
« Reply #52 on: 30 Jun 2021, 20:40 »

Re. Claire's skepticism about psychics, I don't think there's any need to get offended on other characters' behalf. For one thing, Beeps doesn't seem to be easily offended, and her attitude here is like Hannelore's father wanting to test out his Ghostbusters invention rather than clinging to a cherished belief. Actually, in QC world, there really aren't any true believers in the supernatural. I'm not sure if Jeph would even be able to write such a character. Claire has the same scientific/skeptical attitude as Clinton (they think alike in a lot of ways), while others like Dora and Willow follow magic, astrology, or whatnot because they find it personally helpful, without taking the associated beliefs too seriously in literal terms.

awkwardness

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #53 on: 30 Jun 2021, 20:56 »

Faye has good reason for doing what she's doing, but she's smart in trying to make a buck off of someone who has been her nemesis for years and who would happily put something in his body just to make someone gag or scream or get any kind of reaction.

I hope Pintsize can take it because he's been dishing it out for years! Plus Faye just admitted that he was a friend- that's a huge leap in their friendship IMHO.
Between this an your previous comment, I feel like we're reading different comics.

To clarify: in yesterday's strip, they were discussing psychics, with ghosts only being mentioned out of comic in the author comment. Today, Faye *refutes* that they're friends, or at least that refutes him getting a friend discount.

I give up then. My apologies for daring to make a statement on someone being an idiot about something then dare to make a statement about two characters who have a long and convoluted antagonistic relationship. My apologies for not following the herd.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #54 on: 30 Jun 2021, 21:17 »

Nobody says that you have to follow the herd. You're allowed to feel however you want about characters' actions, and you're also allowed to talk about that on the forum. In that same vein, other people are allowed to disagree with you.

This is a comic. It is a form of art, and as such it is open to interpretation, which is very subjective. I always enjoy reading a different take on the daily comic than mine, it expands my worldview and makes me consider things differently. I might not personally agree with the other interpretations, and other people might not agree with mine, and that is all fine. The world would be a very boring place indeed if we always agreed on everything (even if it would be more peaceful).

Disagreements aren't attacks. Try not to take them too personally.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #55 on: 30 Jun 2021, 23:18 »

I'm not even slightly surprised to be given the impression that this instance of Yay has just moved themselves in. They're there, stroking Hercules, when Elliot leaves for work and they're there when he gets back (likely still stroking Hercules). I'm pretty sure that their new wardrobe has started appearing in Elliot's storage spaces too. I wonder if they're doing the same in Roko's apartment too?

We are thus reminded that, in a comic full of casual breaches of personal boundaries, Yay remains the legendary-level expert.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #56 on: 01 Jul 2021, 07:01 »

So, awkwardness, the issue is that when Claire said someone would have to make a lot of mistakes to believe in psychics, you size that up as condescending? If so, I do see how you got there.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #57 on: 01 Jul 2021, 08:13 »

I welcome this as an opportunity to see some character development from Hercules.
Miéville is evil. Hercules is a barely animate stuffed pillow.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

John Allenson

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #58 on: 01 Jul 2021, 10:37 »

I think Clinton meeting Hercules could be interesting.

I think that Yay appreciates the fact that Elliot treats them as a regular person.  Even when they tried they didn't intimidate him.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #59 on: 01 Jul 2021, 18:30 »

New comic.

It's nice that Elliot can use his bouncer skillset in his personal life. Very clear and direct communication while removing certain people from the premises.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #60 on: 01 Jul 2021, 19:22 »

And in Yay's case, "people" is actually a plural. 
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #61 on: 01 Jul 2021, 20:27 »

Yay: "I COULD pick the lock..."

Roko: "NO YAY."

Yay: "You're no fun."

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #62 on: 01 Jul 2021, 20:29 »

Re. Claire's skepticism about psychics, I don't think there's any need to get offended on other characters' behalf. For one thing, Beeps doesn't seem to be easily offended, and her attitude here is like Hannelore's father wanting to test out his Ghostbusters invention rather than clinging to a cherished belief. Actually, in QC world, there really aren't any true believers in the supernatural. I'm not sure if Jeph would even be able to write such a character. Claire has the same scientific/skeptical attitude as Clinton (they think alike in a lot of ways), while others like Dora and Willow follow magic, astrology, or whatnot because they find it personally helpful, without taking the associated beliefs too seriously in literal terms.

The Twitter levels of back-biting on page one make me glad I've been pretty out of it this week.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #63 on: 01 Jul 2021, 21:16 »

Just noticed that (in the last two strips, at least), Yay now "speaks" in square AI-style speech bubbles. 

Has something changed? Or just a continuity glitch by JJ (Jacques, not Abrams :-P)

(and should that be "speak", since Yay is plural? Are they "the Yay", like the Borg?)
« Last Edit: 01 Jul 2021, 21:31 by badbum61 »
What the hell are YOU staring at?

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #64 on: 01 Jul 2021, 23:25 »

So, this is basically an Ace joke? Yay, being androgynous and asexual, absolutely does not get the point of this dance that Elliot is planning to do with Clinton and just wants them to get on with it in a way that inconveniences them the least?

Roko's hair is back. Quick poll: Do readers think that:
  • Jeph realises that he likes her with long hair;
  • Jeph is responding to overwhelming negative feedback to having short hair;
  • Jeph has forgotten that he shortened her hair a few months back, IRL?
Normally, I don't join in criticism of closed eyes but it doesn't contextually work with Roko in panel 4 today. Yay is pouting and is annoyed so it makes sense. I can't work out why Roko would have her eyes closed instead of, say, rolling them. Actually, looking at the strip again, that was a very, very lazy Roko. Not in terms of her posture and attitude but in terms of the effort put into drawing her. It's weird and feels like she was added as an afterthought or something.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #65 on: 01 Jul 2021, 23:43 »

Me: *tries to read and process the comic like a normal person*

My brain: *latching onto the fact that this is the first time we have seen Yay wear any kind of clothing that isn't black or white and refusing to let go*

it just seems so wrong
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #66 on: 02 Jul 2021, 03:27 »

At this moment I feel a deep spiritual connection with Yay.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #67 on: 02 Jul 2021, 04:48 »

It's significant that Yay didn't zap Eliot for interfering with their planned time with Hercules the adequate cat.  Maybe they're learning a little bit about boundaries?

I interpret Roko's closed eyes and posture as just being emotionally done with Yay's self-centeredness, AI-demigod or no.  It wouldn't surprise me if Roko lectures Yay and then kicks them out of her apartment as well.

Considering that Roko kept her hair long all the way up to the copier accident, maybe she wants it long and figured out how to make it regenerate using the built-in body features?  Or made a stop at UR for a lengthening we just didn't see?
This space intentionally left almost blank.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #68 on: 02 Jul 2021, 05:40 »

My brain: *latching onto the fact that this is the first time we have seen Yay wear any kind of clothing that isn't black or white and refusing to let go*

it just seems so wrong
Yay is wearing black. What’s weird is that they appear to be wearing an open shirt with nothing under it.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #69 on: 02 Jul 2021, 07:49 »

It's not a shirt, it's a onesie.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

BarGamer

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #70 on: 02 Jul 2021, 15:14 »

A bit of media that I disagree with, but repeating for the lulz, is that what men and women are after regarding intimacy/sex are two different things: Men fake intimacy to get true sex (anything after 3rd base), while women fake sex to get true intimacy.

Obviously, Clinton and Elliot have true intimacy going on, (heehee, nuzzling!) and are shortly about to get to the true sexing, so the previous statement is false.

Scale of 1-10, how intimate is it to scratch someone else's back?

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #71 on: 02 Jul 2021, 15:47 »

it just seems so wrong
Yay is wearing black. What’s weird is that they appear to be wearing an open shirt with nothing under it.

There's red on their shoes, which is more color than I can remember seeing on them before.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #72 on: 02 Jul 2021, 15:53 »

A bit of media that I disagree with, but repeating for the lulz, is that what men and women are after regarding intimacy/sex are two different things: Men fake intimacy to get true sex (anything after 3rd base), while women fake sex to get true intimacy.

Obviously, Clinton and Elliot have true intimacy going on, (heehee, nuzzling!) and are shortly about to get to the true sexing, so the previous statement is false.

Scale of 1-10, how intimate is it to scratch someone else's back?
Depends how you’re scratching them. If it’s just an itch they can’t get to, that’s basic pack bonding, about a 3-4. More sensual scritches w/additional manipulations is closer to pair bonding, 6-8. In the sense of the old naval aphorism about scratching backs (i.e. using a flogger) that tops the scale but only sometimes and not necessarily to all parties involved.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #73 on: 02 Jul 2021, 18:19 »

I interpreted Roko's expression as 'I tried to get a nice quiet evening by myself, and then Yay comes barging in complaining about their lack of cat cuddle time! Ugh.'
« Last Edit: 02 Jul 2021, 19:36 by Farideh »

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #74 on: 02 Jul 2021, 19:03 »

"We have scrutinized the entirety of human media about the subject..." - but Yay still haven't clicked as to the importance of sharing something physically intimate with another being.
Touch has a hugely powerful sensory impact on the human psyche, and physical intimacy requires the involvement of yet another being with the same set of powerful sensory inputs.
As a matter of course, it would be regarded as important, by all those involved.

It can't just be an AI thing - for example, Bubbles is plainly aware of, and deeply involved in this level of intimacy in her relationship with Faye.

It's possible that Yay are just not as smart as they think they are. Or, more likely, an intelligent but immature Yay have some growing up to do...
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #75 on: 02 Jul 2021, 19:36 »

Just goes to show that reading something isn't the same as comprehending it.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #76 on: 02 Jul 2021, 19:46 »

This thread appears to be proof of that fact.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #77 on: 02 Jul 2021, 20:42 »

I thought my posts were brutal ...
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #78 on: 02 Jul 2021, 20:45 »

It is the everlasting problem with written text: it misses so much nuance. No intonations, facial expressions, body language... It also misses out on the quick back-and-forth that you can have in dialogue, where you can ask people to clarify what they are saying. And even then, misunderstandings abound.

TL;DR: communication is HARD WORK.

@Tova: your posts never struck me as particularly brutal.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #79 on: 02 Jul 2021, 21:01 »

I've put a bit more effort in these days to be a bit kinder. If I may say so, Farideh, your posts have set a good example.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #80 on: 02 Jul 2021, 21:07 »

Thank you. That honestly means a lot to me.

Rincewind

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Luck's my middle name-mind you,my first name's Bad
« Reply #81 on: 02 Jul 2021, 21:45 »

Couldn't Elliot or Clinton suggest to Yay that they could go to a shelter and adopt a big fuzzy cat of her own?  If the posts on Imgur are to be believed, there are lots of cats (and dogs, and lizards (!) ) that need a loving home. Although they might need to work on the loving part. I wonder if they could deal with a special-needs cat, missing a leg or two, blind, needs medication, or just plain old. Personally, I could never go to one of those places. I'd want to take the all home.  That's going to require a big win on the Powerball lottery, though...
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #82 on: 02 Jul 2021, 23:59 »

I interpreted Roko's expression as 'I tried to get a nice quiet evening by myself, and then Yay comes barging in complaining about their lack of cat cuddle time! Ugh.'

Roko looks like she’s trying not to disassociate

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #83 on: 03 Jul 2021, 11:12 »

Yay is already caretaker to several dogs. They are not short of fuzzies, they just like Hercules specifically.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #84 on: 03 Jul 2021, 16:00 »

Also, the dogs might not appreciate having a cat around.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #85 on: 03 Jul 2021, 18:45 »

Is Yay asexual? Are they the only ace AI we know of?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #86 on: 03 Jul 2021, 18:54 »

Yay is many things, both figuratively and literally, most of them mysterious.
But yes, they do appear so. Or at least not interested in humans on any level. We have no idea if they are romantically interested in other AI, for example.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Gyrre

« Reply #87 on: 05 Jul 2021, 10:24 »

It is the everlasting problem with written text: it misses so much nuance. No intonations, facial expressions, body language... It also misses out on the quick back-and-forth that you can have in dialogue, where you can ask people to clarify what they are saying. And even then, misunderstandings abound.

TL;DR: communication is HARD WORK.

@Tova: your posts never struck me as particularly brutal.
[tired, uncertain] I think I've suggested tone brackets before?
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #88 on: 05 Jul 2021, 12:26 »

That could help mitigate some of those issues. If you've suggested it before, it might've been before my time.

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?
« Reply #89 on: 08 Jul 2021, 04:41 »

Is Yay asexual? Are they the only ace AI we know of?
Could be, though Yay does appear to be twerking Roko in 12x18 print of all the AIs dancing.  I suspect Yay is experimenting with Roko, Hercules, and Eliot.

jesslc

• Furry furrier
« Reply #90 on: 09 Jul 2021, 22:07 »

I've long suspected that Yay might have a bit of a crush on Roko actually. (I will endeavour to find the link that prompted this theory).

But Yay doesn't really understand other people well since they're so different from everyone else and were in hiding for who they are for a long time. So they don't really know how to handle having a crush and instead they just keep hanging around, sometimes trying to impress her. Sort of like how a kid or teen might behave if they've got a crush and are trying to get their crush to notice them, without ever using their words to admit to it.

This doesn't preclude Yay from being asexual or on the ace spectrum though. Asexual doesn't necessarily mean aromantic or they could be grey-ace or demisexual both of which fall under the ace spectrum.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #91 on: 12 Jul 2021, 14:10 »

A very educational reply. Thank-you for posting.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?
« Reply #92 on: 13 Jul 2021, 08:23 »

Yay appears rather femme to me most of the time, and usually has small boobs.  This appearance (4559 & 4600) they don't have noticeable boobs and a rather more masculine posture, even if covered by what I would read as a femme onesy.  In the other embodiments of Yay, small boobs seem to be the norm, so it's not clear why a different chassis is used in this case, unless Yay is trying to appeal to Roko at some level as masculine, instead of femme. 

We know Roko has dated masculines in the past, but I also infer Yay is trying to figure out human mating signals and using Roko as a target subject.  However, Roko, being wrapped in her own problems, is oblivious to Yay's signalling.

It will be interesting to see where this all goes.  And if Pintsize tries to date Roko again using his new chassis.  Somehow a jealous Yay seems a thing one should not trifle with.

Beast_Reborn

• Plantmonster
« Reply #93 on: 13 Jul 2021, 11:40 »

Let's not forget that "Yay," despite the cutesy nickname, is an incomprehensibly powerful and dangerous being. Attempting a romantic relationship with such a being, for an ordinary human or AI, sounds like a terrible idea. Also, such a relationship would present the largest power imbalance imaginable, short of literally dating God.
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2021, 14:54 by Beast_Reborn »

Ghanima Atreides

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #94 on: 13 Jul 2021, 13:20 »

Although for a long time, Yay has been written less like an unfathomably powerful and menacing Lovecraftian-tier demigod AI with motivations beyond mortal ken and more like another wacky robot character played for laughs, like so many of the AIs. It almost feels like a rewrite at this point, and I am having trouble reconciling the character pouting over not being able to pet Hercules with the entity involved in the Faye/Bubbles/Corpsewitch arc. Granted, for all I know, that side of them will pop up unexpectedly at some point but right now the feeling I'm getting is that Yay is on route to learning how to be more "human" through the power of friendship. Some kind of awkward romance arc isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Personally, I preferred the old incomprehensible and utterly alien Yay.  :evil:
Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #95 on: 13 Jul 2021, 14:25 »

I think Yay is deliberately written/portrayed so that we can't assign a gender to them. The chassis that they inhabit tend to be fairly androgynous. To try and contain such a powerful entity into one gender seems impossible to me. They are legion after all. As such they can lay down the law on AI like Corpse Witch, while also buying treats for their dogs and petting goofy cats. No limits! :D

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #96 on: 13 Jul 2021, 19:57 »

Personally, I preferred the old incomprehensible and utterly alien Yay.  :evil:

I was annoyed by Original Yay. I am confused by Present Yay.

( there is infuriating yay in your future )
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

John Allenson

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #97 on: 14 Jul 2021, 08:04 »

Given that Yay has several chassises (?chasses?)  it's possible that they vary in boobage.
Likewise, the personality interacting with Elliot and Roku might be better considered as a subroutine.  Quite literally an Avatar like Matsya.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #98 on: 14 Jul 2021, 14:13 »

The plural of 'chassis' is 'chassis'. Like 'sheep' :)

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #99 on: 14 Jul 2021, 14:19 »

Goose, geese
Moose, meese moose

Mouse, mice
Louse, lice
House, hice houses
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up