THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Sep 6th - Sep 10th (4606-4610)  (Read 10599 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
Re: WCDT Sep 6th - Sep 10th (4606-4610)
« Reply #50 on: 09 Sep 2021, 23:12 »

Willow is definitely talking about herself in her description of the 'nightmare scenario' in panel 6. When you consider the fact  that she is very likely the instructor, given the name given in the on-line advert, that probably tells you how much this might become a comedy of errors.

Did Jeph just start drawing Marigold differently? It took me a second to realize that was her. It's not just the lack of glasses. She looks skinnier.

Agreed, she's lost a lot of weight over the last strip; mostly in her face.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #51 on: 10 Sep 2021, 00:59 »

Willow.

Marigold.

Yoga.

Did anybody else just feel a large disturbance in the Force?

(yes, yoga, not Yoda)
What the hell are YOU staring at?

Ghanima Atreides

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #52 on: 10 Sep 2021, 03:39 »

Marigold definitely looks different here; she looks like a teen next to Hanners (could be one of Sam's friends in the first panel!)
Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.

Marco

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Not quite an earthling
« Reply #53 on: 10 Sep 2021, 05:03 »

She took off her glasses and tied her hair. It makes her neck look longer, which does the trick of looking younger.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #54 on: 10 Sep 2021, 09:47 »

She took off her glasses and tied her hair. It makes her neck look longer, which does the trick of looking younger.
Yes, this. Pulling your hair back and up tightens the skin under your chin, among other effects. It also emphasises the neck. On top of that, removing glasses changes the way your eyes are framed (literally) and generally makes you look wider-eyed aka “innocent” aka younger.

Also, plot twist: Willow is the instructor, but that isn’t Willow; it’s her heretofore unmentioned twin sister Rowan.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #55 on: 10 Sep 2021, 12:02 »

Oh right, that is Willow.  At first read I thought that was Fay, and was very confused.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #56 on: 10 Sep 2021, 15:23 »

Marigold: "Wait, you're the instructor?"

( every instructor was once a noob )
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #57 on: 10 Sep 2021, 16:41 »

Yes, this. Pulling your hair back and up tightens the skin under your chin, among other effects. It also emphasises the neck. On top of that, removing glasses changes the way your eyes are framed (literally) and generally makes you look wider-eyed aka “innocent” aka younger.

Also, Marigold has taken off the devices that enable her to see clearly - that has an effect on one's appearance too. When trying to compensate for their visual deficiency, some people go wide-eyed, some gain a piercing expression - I gained a set of deep lines on my forehead and between my eyebrows as I try to focus on small print...  :-\
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #58 on: 11 Sep 2021, 21:00 »

I see others are remarking on the change in Marigold 's  appearance.  She looks so...generic now.  The weight loss was bad enough, but the change in her face reminds me of what happened to Jennifer Grey.  From interesting, realistic looking ingenue to starlet from central casting

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #59 on: 13 Sep 2021, 04:01 »

Also, Marigold has taken off the devices that enable her to see clearly - that has an effect on one's appearance too. When trying to compensate for their visual deficiency, some people go wide-eyed, some gain a piercing expression - I gained a set of deep lines on my forehead and between my eyebrows as I try to focus on small print...  :-\

I'm in the second camp. Glasses literally make me look friendlier. Otherwise I apparently have 'weasel eyes'/'beady little eyes'.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #60 on: 13 Sep 2021, 11:09 »

For me, it always comes as a shock seeing someone suddenly with or without them, kinda like their entire face changed rather than just some device put on.  And for some reason, I don't get this shock with sunglasses.  In this case, I think that Marigold isn't trying out a new look, but is either wearing contacts or willing enough to have blurry vision temporarily so that she doesn't have one *more* thing that can go wrong during the class.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #61 on: 14 Sep 2021, 05:21 »

I have horrible vision.  If I were going to yoga with a friend I trusted to help me out, I would likely leave my glasses outside, too.  If nothing else, it will prevent me from being able to see all the thin people who have been doing this for ages* who have perfect form while my fat ass is struggling to get my poses down, and give me an excuse for not having things quite right because I can't see the instructor all that well.

*You know, the ones anxiety is putting in my head as opposed to the actual other people in class.

jesslc

• Furry furrier
« Reply #62 on: 14 Sep 2021, 20:15 »

It took me a minute to recognise Marigold without her glasses. But that's something I've experienced in real life too - where someone's face shape didn't actually change, but it still looks quite different when I see them without their glasses.

No else has mentioned this yet so I guess I will... I also went back and compared with Marigold on the page before and I think the "skinniness" some people are seeing can be attributed to Jeph trying to portay that Marigold has switched from a regular bra to a sports bra as well as changing her top. Sport bras generally have a bit of a flattening effect. If it maybe seems a little overdone, well that could be a combination of the angle and the natural variation in Jeph's art.

Noticeable variation due to "camera angle" and/or Marigold's posture can definitely be seen once I looked closely at the drawings of Marigold throughout this current arc. Not being an artist or someone who looks closely at people in real life(*), I couldn't say if this amount of variation is true to life or if Jeph tends to overdo it sometimes.

*(True story - once I caught up with a distant friend and was telling her about the guy I'd been dating for a couple of months by that point. She asked me what colour his eyes were and I didn't know. She was surprised by this and asked if he wore glasses and I wasn't sure about the answer to that question either "Er... I don't think so..." (which was, as it turns out, correct) but still...  :roll:)

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #63 on: 14 Sep 2021, 22:35 »

I don't look closely at people either. Including myself - one day I was caught quite by surprise to find out that, apparently, my eyes had changed colour from brown to hazel, almost green. When did that happen? No idea, sometime in a 10-15 year period is about the best I can do. It was actually quite unsettling when I first noticed it.

SImilarly when reading comics, if it's not happening in the speech bubbles I very probably won't notice it. Probably the biggest one in QC that completely slipped by me at the time was Corpse Witch trying to kill / mind-scramble Bubbles. Fortunately I do read the forums, so I get to go back and see all sorts of details that I hadn't noticed before, once other people point them out and start talking about them :)

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #64 on: 19 Sep 2021, 18:15 »

The last time I got my driver's license renewed, they had me take off my glasses.  I discovered I look much more like my younger brother than I'd previously thought.
(The bathroom mirror shows my face at a different angle, with different lighting.)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up