THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 03:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Knights of the Old Republic (Remake)  (Read 12963 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!

Well this is a welcomed surprise. They are remaking (not remastering) the Knights of the Old Republic.

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Re: Star Wars: The Knights of the Old Republic (Remake)
« Reply #1 on: 09 Sep 2021, 22:14 »

Interesting! I've been tempted in the past to play KotOR but (maybe an unpopular opnion) I found the gameplay to be clunky. I'd be keen to try this.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2021, 03:24 »

The UI of SWKotoR wasnt great.

In fact it really sucked. Of a small three people group, you only could have one person in control - and if you switched the current person, the previous one would just love to forget the command you just gave them. Nevermind being able to give multiple commands or something like that.

The underlying rulesystem was very simple. For that it was surprisingly good.

I really hated this lightside darkside concept. Seriously, you either have to pick lightside options all the time, or darkside options all the time. So there was exactly two ways to play the game.

And playing darkside was simly pointless.

And the real fun part was the great story. Good sidequests, too.
Carpe Diem

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2021, 21:45 »

To get anything approaching effective teamwork in KotOR is fiddly and requires one to manipulate the "AI" with care. I normally liked to play as a scoundrel gunslinger jedi*, so I usually took Mission Vao and a tanky close-quarters character. In solo mode I would sneak Mission and my character into the rear of the enemy using our stealth belts, then I'd switch to the tank character and send them in the front door. Then I'd quickly switch to my character and Mission and shoot the enemy in the back with Sneak Attack. Yes, I played as a light-side jedi, why do you ask?

Members of my party getting stuck on the scenery was always a problem. After you kill the Krayt Dragon, always shoot the corpse until it disappears, so that party members don't get stuck on it when you have the fight against Calo Nord, for example. Yes Carth, I am looking at you.

Light side/Dark side is a bit stupid, but you have to blame George Lucas for that, not the game. If you want to play a force-power-centric character, there is something to be said for going Dark. Fear/Horror/Insanity is definitely better than Stun/Stasis/Stasis Field, for example, and you get Horror at just Level 6. But I can never bring myself to play Dark because the dark choices boil down to "be a jerk", so I just make Bindo take all the dark powers, and gun/grenade down the enemy while he drives them helplessly mad. Light side!

And yes, the story is the real draw. As you'll gather, I loved the game. I'd love it if they remade KotOR 2 as well, because the story is even better, but only after you patch the game to restore the content lost because of rushed development...

*Because I think lightsabers are stupid, and the wiffle-bat lightsaber combat in KotOR is very unsatisfying.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman
Pages: [1]   Go Up