- 17 (32.1%)
Bugs in general
- 9 (17%)
Cruel people
- 14 (26.4%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: 31 Oct 2021, 18:45

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Oct 25 - Oct 29 (4641-4645)  (Read 11468 times)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Re: WCDT Oct 25 - Oct 29 (4641-4645)
« Reply #50 on: 27 Oct 2021, 21:49 »

Flower

Honestly, I am absolutely none the wiser.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #51 on: 27 Oct 2021, 23:12 »

Flower

It's the two characters from panel 1. From what little I can understand, they're the avatars of some Japanese streamers. Is Jeph a fan? I suppose the flower sketch is somehow considered an 'in-joke' amongst their followers but, as always, outside that group, there is no real meaning to anyone.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #52 on: 28 Oct 2021, 00:11 »

From what little I can understand, they're the avatars of some Japanese streamers.

Their parent company is Japanese, but they are part of the English Language group and their nationalities (at least when it's mentioned) are quite diverse.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #53 on: 28 Oct 2021, 01:48 »

Flower

It's the two characters from panel 1. From what little I can understand, they're the avatars of some Japanese streamers. Is Jeph a fan? I suppose the flower sketch is somehow considered an 'in-joke' amongst their followers but, as always, outside that group, there is no real meaning to anyone.

Ah right. Thanks. For some reason, I assumed it was something to do with the black slab or the punchline, and missed the connection with panel 1.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Boxer

• Plantmonster
« Reply #54 on: 28 Oct 2021, 01:51 »

Can't predict what would of happened if Faye bumped into Mumei instead and spilt her berries!

derris_kharlan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #55 on: 28 Oct 2021, 05:12 »

I vote Marten and Claire break up and Marten finally gets together with his soul mate, Floating Black Slab.
Shel kek nem ron.

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #56 on: 28 Oct 2021, 05:40 »

As a 40-something nongamer with no awareness of that subculture, and even less so of the videogame-streaming youtubers, Twitch, etc., I have a feeling more and more situations and references in QC may start going over my head....
And that's OK

dutchrvl

« Reply #57 on: 28 Oct 2021, 05:42 »

What does the monolith DO with a latte anyway? *lol*

I suppose it's also very possible that the FBS was there to get a latte for somebody else(?)

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #58 on: 28 Oct 2021, 06:20 »

The thing that bothers me the most right now about this story is how exactly the slab could pay in money, as implied by the last panel in the comic from wednesday.

And yes I think the slab is trying to get a human friend a drink.

My best guess is the slab is an AI thats a hardcore fan of 2001, which thus copied the monoliths to perfection, and thus has no way to actually communicate.

I was going to make a wisecrack yesterday about how Jeph is really phoning it in with new character design these days, and now after seeing Jeph's note today, I wish I had.
Oh noes - we lost the opportunity to a funny posting in this thread !
Carpe Diem

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #59 on: 28 Oct 2021, 13:31 »

It's okay, the opportunity for sarcasm provides some compensation!

Wombat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #60 on: 28 Oct 2021, 16:51 »

The thing that bothers me the most right now about this story is how exactly the slab could pay in money, as implied by the last panel in the comic from wednesday.
By "money," do you mean cash? Because I don't see how the last panel implies that. I just assumed that the slab has tap-to-pay capabilities and used those to pay and tip.

I'm curious how long the slab will be around for. I'm enjoying it so far, but while I think it'd be kind of funny to keep around, I'm not sure how long it would actually hold up for.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #61 on: 28 Oct 2021, 18:26 »

OK, maybe it WAS a alien.

Or it just hangs out with Station.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #62 on: 28 Oct 2021, 18:29 »

Go forth and spread the word about Northampton, Slab!
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

ihaveavoice

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #63 on: 28 Oct 2021, 21:17 »

I am now RATHER CONCERNED about whether our slab friend will actually fly out into a vacuum where it will lose its latte yet again. The cupholder not functioning would hardly be its only problem trying to take that drink out of the Earth's atmosphere, but maybe it's never successfully purchased one before and doesn't know that!  :psyduck:  *rapidly constructs alternate headcanon in which slab is happy*

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #64 on: 28 Oct 2021, 22:19 »

The slab is just heading to the bus stop.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #65 on: 28 Oct 2021, 23:31 »

MINILITH: "Definitely no intelligent life down there but, on the flip side, the coffee is good."
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #66 on: 29 Oct 2021, 01:46 »

Flower

And here I thought it was a reference to HAL singing Daisy Daisy. Could be both I suppose.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #67 on: 29 Oct 2021, 01:58 »

The slab is just heading to the bus stop.

This seems less likely now that I've realised that a new comic appeared somewhere amongst that conversation.

dutchrvl

« Reply #68 on: 29 Oct 2021, 08:26 »

I'm going to assume that FBS just went to this vessel waiting somewhere in the atmosphere: https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2297

On board I see Hanners' dad waiting for his latte, and Tilly trying to tell him how using this new FBS invention is much less efficient than just letting them go to the coffee shop for him.

zmeiat_joro

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #69 on: 31 Oct 2021, 02:04 »

I've never seen the film, but my literature teacher gave me the book to read in ~ middle school? I'm not sure what the US equivalent is, exactly.
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

Gyrre

« Reply #70 on: 31 Oct 2021, 09:00 »

I've never seen the film, but my literature teacher gave me the book to read in ~ middle school? I'm not sure what the US equivalent is, exactly.

primary = grade/elementary
secondary = middle
[murky BS] = high school (grades 9-12)
a real-ass gaddam sword

Mr Intrepid

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #71 on: 31 Oct 2021, 15:54 »

secondary = middle

Middle school is called junior high in some places.  Grades 7-8 and sometimes  9 as well

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #72 on: 31 Oct 2021, 19:53 »

Where I grew up, in the Central Plains of the US, middle school is 6-8.
Elementary (aka grade school): K-5
Middle: 6-8
High: 9-12
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #73 on: 31 Oct 2021, 23:56 »

In Australia, or NSW at least:

Primary: K-6
Secondary School aka High School: 7-12

We don't have a middle school system (AFAIK).

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #74 on: 01 Nov 2021, 00:01 »

I'm going to assume that FBS just went to this vessel waiting somewhere in the atmosphere: https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2297

On board I see Hanners' dad waiting for his latte, and Tilly trying to tell him how using this new FBS invention is much less efficient than just letting them go to the coffee shop for him.

Hmm, either one of those sentences might be possible, but Hannelore's stealth ride was explicitly one of her mother's projects. It's highly unlikely her dad would be allowed anywhere near it.

Gyrre

« Reply #75 on: 01 Nov 2021, 23:20 »

secondary = middle

Middle school is called junior high in some places.  Grades 7-8 and sometimes  9 as well

That's one of the the smart ways to do it, yes.

The next school district over had grades 4, 5, & 6  in one building, then 7, 8, & 9 in the old middle school building. With the  high school having room freed up by the freshman exile and being 10, 11, and 12. Had our parents bothered telling us that moving meant we had to leave that school district and all of our friends, we would have kept our mouths shut and stayed in that school district through middle school (it was a really good district and we were exactly 1 mile out of their range after the move in 4th grade.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up