- 4 (18.2%)
Mommymilker
- 3 (13.6%)
Burger Oni
- 2 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: 21 Nov 2021, 16:39

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Nov 15 - Nov 20th (4656-4660)  (Read 11476 times)

Prestwick

• Not quite a lurker
Re: WCDT Nov 15 - Nov 20th (4656-4660)
« Reply #50 on: 18 Nov 2021, 04:09 »

Indeed. Aurelia's key issues are:

• Avoidance - attempting to ignore a problem or a stressful situation and hope it goes away and/or changes for the better by itself.
  • Deception - deliberately concealing something or an activity which, even with all the wilful ignorance in the world bordering on the deliberately obtuse, would cause confusion or even rejection from one's peers.
  • Social anxiety and social awkwardness.
  • A subconscious need for attention leading to abnormal behaviour - This is kind of reflected in her social habits and her sudden vtubing career as a cow. She too is seeking attention from her children, even if its wholly negative and whilst on the outside she seems non-plussed at the negative reactions she garners from both Claire and Clinton, inside her subconscious knows exactly what its doing: get a reaction and therefore get attention.

All of the above means the three of them really need some kind of therapeutic intervention.

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #51 on: 18 Nov 2021, 05:37 »

....... Do any of you have siblings?
Moreover, siblings within 2 years of your own age?

A lot of this scans like the answer is 'no'. Maybe it's because I'm from a highly dysfunctional family.
EDIT: I'm not saying that this degree of sibling rivalry is natural or 'normal'. Nor am I defending it. I'm just saying that I understand it and have seen plenty of IRL examples (both related and not). A common thread is very much some form of family dysfunction.

And from what we know of their father, he was a PoS.

TO answer your question, yes I have 6 (half)siblings and there generally is 2-3 years between any. Also quite dysfunctional. But while I do know that this type of behavior between siblings happens, I don't condone nor accept it as normal.

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #52 on: 18 Nov 2021, 05:48 »

Indeed. Aurelia's key issues are:

• Avoidance - attempting to ignore a problem or a stressful situation and hope it goes away and/or changes for the better by itself.
  • Deception - deliberately concealing something or an activity which, even with all the wilful ignorance in the world bordering on the deliberately obtuse, would cause confusion or even rejection from one's peers.
  • Social anxiety and social awkwardness.
  • A subconscious need for attention leading to abnormal behaviour - This is kind of reflected in her social habits and her sudden vtubing career as a cow. She too is seeking attention from her children, even if its wholly negative and whilst on the outside she seems non-plussed at the negative reactions she garners from both Claire and Clinton, inside her subconscious knows exactly what its doing: get a reaction and therefore get attention.

All of the above means the three of them really need some kind of therapeutic intervention.

There is a lot to unpack here, but I haven't really seen much in the way of social awkwardness or social anxiety from Aurelia, although I admit I may just not be remembering. ALl instances of Aurelia I remember have been with either Clinton or Claire, and never have I seen an indication of social issues with her.
I am wondering why you call her behavior "abnormal". Perhaps you simply mean different from what the average middle-aged single mom tends to be interested in? Her behavior seems perfectly normal to me, if perhaps outside of what we would expect from somebody in her position. That's really more on us and our preconceived ideas of what people might/should engage in, though.

Edit: I do agree there are quite a few signs of Aurelia avoiding issues. As far as 'deceiving', she didn't deceive or conceal it from her kids, and there is literally 0 reason for her to go around telling people what she does in her spare time, just like I don't go around telling people what online forums I visit.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #53 on: 18 Nov 2021, 06:59 »

The whole family, in general, has issues. Mind you this is QC, everybody has issues...

Prestwick

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #54 on: 18 Nov 2021, 07:22 »

There is a lot to unpack here, but I haven't really seen much in the way of social awkwardness or social anxiety from Aurelia, although I admit I may just not be remembering. ALl instances of Aurelia I remember have been with either Clinton or Claire, and never have I seen an indication of social issues with her.
I am wondering why you call her behavior "abnormal". Perhaps you simply mean different from what the average middle-aged single mom tends to be interested in? Her behavior seems perfectly normal to me, if perhaps outside of what we would expect from somebody in her position. That's really more on us and our preconceived ideas of what people might/should engage in, though.

Edit: I do agree there are quite a few signs of Aurelia avoiding issues. As far as 'deceiving', she didn't deceive or conceal it from her kids, and there is literally 0 reason for her to go around telling people what she does in her spare time, just like I don't go around telling people what online forums I visit.

My view is that her first dropping herself in it in regards to her comments about Claire getting a job followed by her reaction both to Claire after they left indicates to me that she is 1) unintentionally being socially awkward and 2) catastrophising to the point where she's attempting to self medicate with cannabis to ease her anxiety. In this example, she quite clearly instantly goes straight into catastrophising about what Claire might think about what she had just said - to be fair Claire has also done the exact same thing though more about what people might think about her continued inability to get a job in her chosen job field. Thats social anxiety. If you instantly freak out internally and disassociate because you think that you might have offended someone - regardless of what that person might actually think - then thats social anxiety and awkwardness.

Her behaviour regarding her vtubing channel is abnormal not because her chosen hobby itself is outside of the norm but because of how she's ended up doing it. Loneliness feeds a desire to get attention from those nearest which leads to abnormal behaviour in order to get said attention. To put it another way, if Aurelia decided to start a baking youtube channel I doubt that would have garnered as strong a reaction from either Claire or Clinton compared with essentially delving into furrydom and therefore subconsciously Aurelia would not get the attention it feels it needs.

Being deceptive isn't just flat out lying to someone, it can be someone doing something which people might find displeasing under their noses and when challenged arguing that because they haven't explicitly lied about it so therefore no harm no foul. TL;DR you don't have to lie to be deceptive. As an example, a child might decide to take a toy to school even thought the school has a no toy policy. The child doesn't declare that he/she has a toy to the parent or the school and for a month or so he/she happily comes and goes with the toy in their bag. When the toy is eventually discovered and the child challenged, he/she explains that because they have been taking that toy into school for so long they thought it was OK knowing full well that isn't the case. Thats deceptive behaviour.

To put this into Aurelia's case, consciously she might not be all that clear on the ins and outs of what she is doing or aware that her appearing as a 3D cow with multiple breasts might be on the fringe of what society might find tasteful. However, subconsciously, she's overtly doing this 1) as a way to alleviate boredom and 2) to garner a response and therefore attention from those nearest to her when her hobby is eventually discovered.

As a note, none of this means that any of the Augustus family have serious mental health issues, these are things which challenge us all be we neurodiverse or neurotypical. Its just up to us to recognisise our negative behaviour and try and work on ironing things out is all :)

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #55 on: 18 Nov 2021, 08:41 »

If Marten could just have taken his head out of his ass, his intervention might have avoided this sad situation. You're not just a bystander, Marten!

Around here, we say: Il n'y a pas de sot métier (there is no stupid trade).

Also: Claire, give yourself some slack. Trying to make a living while looking for the job of your dreams is something most people have done one way or another.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2021, 08:48 by traroth »
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

SpanielBear

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #56 on: 18 Nov 2021, 11:46 »

If Marten could just have taken his head out of his ass, his intervention might have avoided this sad situation. You're not just a bystander, Marten!

Around here, we say: Il n'y a pas de sot métier (there is no stupid trade).

Also: Claire, give yourself some slack. Trying to make a living while looking for the job of your dreams is something most people have done one way or another.

Got to ask; what could Marten have possibly said or done in that moment that would have actually helped?

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #57 on: 18 Nov 2021, 12:43 »

"Yeah, my ex gave her a pity job so she'd have something to do while she waits for a library job!"  Then Aurelia's off the hook for her faux pas because Marten's is so obviously worse, and Claire's laughing at how Marten is obviously joking... right?  Right?  This wasn't just a pity job from the ex?  And then Claire has something new to focus on, but one Marten can more easily talk her down from ("Who cares why she gave you the job?  Penelope's got her job because Dora and Faye basically bullied her into it and she was in such a bad mood from it she got fired from her other job, and Emily just happened to be there when Dora was issuing post-Faye changes and Dora just included her in things on accident.  Giving you a job because you're her ex's new girlfriend and you need a job while you wait for positive results in finding a career in your field is downright normal, for her.  I promise, it's not pity, and people get jobs that way all the time.")

Probably not the best of ideas.  Non-intervention in this one was perfectly fine on Marten's part.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #58 on: 18 Nov 2021, 18:16 »

Comic's up.

Yeah, Claire has a lot to unpack here.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #59 on: 18 Nov 2021, 19:32 »

Ah, drama. :D Mind you, a LOT of folks I know aren't working in their prefered field...

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #60 on: 18 Nov 2021, 20:28 »

It's healthy to express your emotions.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Prestwick

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #61 on: 18 Nov 2021, 22:08 »

Yup, she's full on catastrophising and lashing out at Marten. Mostly because she feels she's safe enough with him to do that as she feels she isn't going to go anywhere.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #62 on: 18 Nov 2021, 22:56 »

She's kinda lashing out at herself.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #63 on: 18 Nov 2021, 22:58 »

Like I said yesterday, Marten has a lot to do to offer care and support and get Claire out of her self-loathing despair rut. It probably isn't going to be easy or enjoyable and I think he'll look back on today's strip as the fun and easy part!

How could this get worse? Clinton appears and chooses this time to deliver a "Why you suck" speech as Claire disappears below the surface of the Ocean of Despair.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #64 on: 18 Nov 2021, 23:23 »

....... Do any of you have siblings?
Moreover, siblings within 2 years of your own age?

A lot of this scans like the answer is 'no'. Maybe it's because I'm from a highly dysfunctional family.
EDIT: I'm not saying that this degree of sibling rivalry is natural or 'normal'. Nor am I defending it. I'm just saying that I understand it and have seen plenty of IRL examples (both related and not). A common thread is very much some form of family dysfunction.

And from what we know of their father, he was a PoS.

TO answer your question, yes I have 6 (half)siblings and there generally is 2-3 years between any. Also quite dysfunctional. But while I do know that this type of behavior between siblings happens, I don't condone nor accept it as normal.

👍
I'm not condining it either. Just stating I understand it.
The closer two siblings are in age, the more vicious it becomes.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Prestwick

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #65 on: 19 Nov 2021, 01:51 »

He's definitely collateral though. I think of him as a tree trunk being swept away in a mudslide: the mudslide didn't cause the trunk to topple or anything but its just along for the ride at this point.

Killspree

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #66 on: 19 Nov 2021, 03:11 »

Nope, still can't sympathize or like Claire. Take a long look Martin, this is most likely what you'll be dealing with multiple times in the future.

derris_kharlan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #67 on: 19 Nov 2021, 03:31 »

Oof. I don’t see Claire as being a bully here — she made up some stories while pretending to be a calf whose mom has four udders. She was being ridiculous.

This was my thinking, too. They're completely anonymous internet personas. I think she was just having fun with it by making up stuff about her brother the MommyMilkers cinematic universe version, not the actual person…

Comic 4655: “Turn it back on. Anything he can do, I can do better.”

Comic 4656: “So who wants to hear embarrassing stories about my dumb little brother?”

Even if we set aside all the previous examples of Claire bullying Clinton, her behavior here is absolutely bullying/cruel.  Unprovoked she both has to try and one up him AND the first thing she does is insult him and share embarrassing stories.  That’s not adding background, that’s just being a jerk. 

Claire is increasingly unsympathetic, and while I expect the QC cast to be flawed, id much rather we spend time with just about any other characters at this point than Claire.
Shel kek nem ron.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #68 on: 19 Nov 2021, 04:14 »

He's definitely collateral though. I think of him as a tree trunk being swept away in a mudslide: the mudslide didn't cause the trunk to topple or anything but its just along for the ride at this point.

He'll manage. It's kind of part of the package deal of relationships. You're not always seeing your loved one at their very best.

Prestwick

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #69 on: 19 Nov 2021, 06:26 »

He'll manage. It's kind of part of the package deal of relationships. You're not always seeing your loved one at their very best.

Of course, I agree with all of that. But that isn't to say that there isn't an opportunity here to focus on self improvement. In this case, he's absolutely right to start yanking on the emergency brake of this catastrophising train. She's getting almost frantic at the moment so Marten is right on the money to step in like he is.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #70 on: 19 Nov 2021, 08:52 »

Not everyone gets to fulfill their dreams.  Talk to Penelope.  While I’m sure it would be a disaster I’d like her to feature into a plot.

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #71 on: 19 Nov 2021, 08:57 »

Your attempt is doomed, Marten. The Claire freakout train has no brakes.
Quis pater tibi est?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #72 on: 19 Nov 2021, 15:00 »

I kinda want to avoid getting involved this time as I have in the past, put I also kinda want to pull the emergency brakes on the catastrophising train in this very thread.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #73 on: 20 Nov 2021, 10:03 »

No brakes on this one either.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #74 on: 20 Nov 2021, 10:18 »

Not everyone gets to fulfill their dreams.  Talk to Penelope.  While I’m sure it would be a disaster I’d like her to feature into a plot.

That’s why despair.com sells this.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #75 on: 20 Nov 2021, 15:31 »

Does anyone know how close Clinton is to graduating? ...because I can see a potential Claire meltdown that would make this one look trivial, if Clinton graduated and then slid straight into his dream job...  :psyduck:
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #76 on: 20 Nov 2021, 21:43 »

A couple of years away, I'd say? Since Claire just graduated, and Clinton is younger than her.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #77 on: 20 Nov 2021, 21:56 »

She did post-grad stuff, though, so he could be getting his BS at any time.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #78 on: 20 Nov 2021, 22:58 »

I believe Clinton is also working on post-grad. He was in classes with Emily and he's working on his thesis.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #79 on: 21 Nov 2021, 08:05 »

Thaks for the correction.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #80 on: 21 Nov 2021, 14:29 »

Clinton is about 22 I believe - I know it's been at least a year since we met them, since that was Claire starting her summer internship at the library and now Claire has graduated.  A typical American progression would be that he's just finishing his bachelor's degree (graduate high school at 18/shortly before 18th birthday, and then four years of college for undergrad). 

Given his interests and career goals, it would not surprise me if his undergrad graduation wasn't that big a deal to him because he's going straight into his graduate program.  It's also possible that he managed to finish his bachelor's early and spent the past year on graduate work, or that he's doing a complicated program that will take an extra year of undergrad (multiple majors or dual-enrollment with undergrad and graduate work that will end with a master's degree).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up