THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 21:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: There's an app for that  (Read 13249 times)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
There's an app for that
« on: 25 Nov 2021, 22:36 »

Is there a thread around for people to post about handy apps they discovered?

If there is, please merge this post into it. If not... well, here it is, I guess.

In the meantime; this one is Australia-centric, but seems good.

https://identify-spiders.com/
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Re: There's an app for that
« Reply #1 on: 06 Dec 2021, 06:13 »

Can anyone recommend an app for a PC to prevent someone from accessing other apps or websites for a set time to increase productivity? I find it easy to get distracted because I can just open steam or imgur, etc and get off track. Sometimes without even thinking about it.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2 on: 06 Dec 2021, 11:16 »

Parental controls and multiple user accounds?
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #3 on: 06 Dec 2021, 13:17 »

Not sure about apps, but your router might have a feature that allows you to block certain domains on a schedule.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #4 on: 06 Dec 2021, 14:48 »

Some firewall packages will do this.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #5 on: 07 Dec 2021, 09:33 »

I guess I just wanted something I can set up and easily turn off or on with a click of a button. Kind of like the productivity apps they have on phones.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #6 on: 07 Dec 2021, 13:36 »

You could create a rule in Windows Firewall which you can then enable/disable at will.

https://malwaretips.com/threads/how-to-block-websites-in-windows-firewall-guide.55305/

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #7 on: 10 Dec 2021, 00:42 »

Argh. I'm sure I've read about exactly what you're asking for but I can't remember enough to search.

A Google about eliminating distractions turned up
https://memory.ai/timely-blog/anti-distraction-apps
and
https://zapier.com/blog/stay-focused-avoid-distractions/ for desktops and laptops.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2022, 10:09 »

Thanks everyone. I found a method that weirdly works for me. Its a bit mundane. While I'm working on the computer, I listen to music on my phone. That separation of using headphones tied to my phone rather than my computer seems to be doing the trick as I'm less likely to "wander" on the internet since I can't hear youtube and am not getting distracted there which leads me else where, etc, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up