Yes
- 2 (9.5%)
No
- 1 (4.8%)
That's Gary's job
- 3 (14.3%)
A superior being needs no parents
- 1 (4.8%)
Why do you think they hang around with Roko so much?
- 12 (57.1%)
Keep Pintsize away from them
- 2 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT - 13th to 17th December 2021 - (Strips 4676 - 4680)  (Read 9524 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
Re: WCDT - 13th to 17th December 2021 - (Strips 4676 - 4680)
« Reply #50 on: 16 Dec 2021, 23:10 »

I can see where Claire gets it from.

I mean that literally: Aurelia in this strip is physically and behaviourally indistinguishable from early-model Claire from about the time of Marten's dads' wedding.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #51 on: 16 Dec 2021, 23:57 »

This was actually doable: "Could you please give me a oat milk latte? Nice place you're working. In the long run or as a fallback position for any project you would like to undertake"

Less apologizing and more supportive.
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #52 on: 17 Dec 2021, 00:34 »

I can't be the only one who read "oat milk latte" as "cat milk latte." Right?

Right?

ihaveavoice

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #53 on: 17 Dec 2021, 01:39 »

This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but maybe Papa Augustus walked out because he was sick of walking on egg shells all the time.  Aurelia may be one of the most supportive Moms in this strip, but she has one innocent slip up and it's enough for Claire to act like a damn baby.

That goes the other way 'round, dude. Trauma as deep as the chaos and strife caused by first Papa Augustus's behavior while he was with them and then his sudden departure from their lives doesn't just go away. It's not exactly shocking for the scumbag's now-24 year old daughter to have a stronger reaction than you might to what seems like a loss of approval from the one parent who has yet to run off to Antigua on her. Frankly, both the victim blaming and the implication that you'd be justified in walking out on your kids if they're too sensitive are a big yikes in this comment. If you as a parent feel that you're "walking on eggshells" with a (generally normal, healthy) child you are meant to be raising, make some adjustments to your parenting. You and your SO are completely in charge of them. And if you feel stressed out by said SO, divorce them and then stay in your kids' lives so as to at least appear even halfway passable as a human being.

You'll probably just dismiss this as your ~opinion being unpopular~, but this kind of sentiment can't be allowed to just sit in a public space unchallenged like it regularly does in real life.

I can't be the only one who read "oat milk latte" as "cat milk latte." Right?

Right?

Username checks out.
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2021, 01:50 by ihaveavoice »

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #54 on: 17 Dec 2021, 02:55 »

This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but maybe Papa Augustus walked out because he was sick of walking on egg shells all the time.

I don't think understanding why someone may've done something is the same as thinking it's even remotely justified.

I'm tired of plenty things in the relationships in my life (things about my marriage included), but even if I somehow reached my breaking point, the correct way to end a marriage is not to go "welp, I'm off to a tropical island". The contextual clues don't seem to point to an adult breakup and divorce. Framing it in terms "he was just sick of it" is... weird to me. It's generally accepted you don't nope out of something with no warning (which, again, contextually seems to be the case) just because you're sick of it. Even taking the moral dimension out of it (which we shouldn't), it's plain irresponsible.

Also, my brain is probably out of whack from browsing "egg" memes recently on the Internet (EDIT: transgender identity-related ones. Apparently it's not the first thing Google comes up with when looking up "egg meme". Sorry), but my brain can't help but be amused at the (accidental, I'm sure) double meaning I see in the phrase "egg shells", especially as you spelt it separately. Speaking of which, we never had an indication in the comic as to what age Claire came out as trans, did we?
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2021, 03:07 by oddtail »

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #55 on: 17 Dec 2021, 04:07 »

This was actually doable: "Could you please give me a oat milk latte? Nice place you're working. In the long run or as a fallback position for any project you would like to undertake"

Less apologizing and more supportive.

Yeah, it should've been more about simply showing support for Claire, and much less about her own desire for forgiveness.

That said, given what we know about Aurelia, it is all still a very innocent slip-up and not exactly something to hold against her as much as Claire seems to do.

Cypher

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #56 on: 17 Dec 2021, 04:56 »

Granted Aurelia DID mess up (although it was hardly that devastating), but honestly in real life it seems like Claire would be simply exhausting to have to deal with, at least on a regular basis.

John Allenson

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #57 on: 17 Dec 2021, 08:17 »

An apology is good.
Giving an apology while violating the boundaries of the apologee, not so good.

And something that seems to be subtle, making an apology that's about your own feelings rather than the other person's feeling, not so good.

David F

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #58 on: 17 Dec 2021, 10:18 »

Granted Aurelia DID mess up (although it was hardly that devastating), but honestly in real life it seems like Claire would be simply exhausting to have to deal with, at least on a regular basis.

Part of the problem may be that Aurelia has gotten used to *not* having to deal with Claire on a regular basis.  Coddling Claire may have been reflexive at one point, but she's been busy with university (especially the last couple of years of it), and is living with Marten now.  The transition from dealing with your child as a child to dealing with them as an adult isn't an easy one.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #59 on: 17 Dec 2021, 11:23 »

Speaking of which, we never had an indication in the comic as to what age Claire came out as trans, did we?

The only thing we know is that Claire came out after her dad left. She mentions to Marten at some point that her father doesn't know about her being trans.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Prestwick

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #60 on: 17 Dec 2021, 11:57 »

A better route around this would have probably to have made the apology in a more private setting and be supportive of Claire. Ironically, a lot of therapeutic parenting training actually calls for distraction and misdirection.

There was a case from a foster parent I know whose teenage child was behaving in the same manner as Claire (though the Foster parent hadn't put her foot in it like Auerlia had so there was nothing to apologise for). Anyway, she said to the child "oh! Your ear looks sore! Are you okay" and leaned in for a closer look which stopped the teen in mid-rant and the kid calmed down soon after. This is strangely effective and I've used this tactic as well.

Anyway, Claire's being aggressive mostly because she's still hurting from having to take the job she has to take instead of the one she wants to take and of the perceived rejection by her Mum (which she catastrophised over repeatedly until Marten, etc talked her down later). She just needs space and later on an apology along with some hugs from Aurelia. Whats happening now isn't going to help anybody.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #61 on: 17 Dec 2021, 23:08 »

We know that she began her transition her first year in college and has been on HRT since then.  While we don't know if she told Clinton and Aurelia before then, I would guess she probably didn't feel comfortable/able to transition* in high school, and would have only told a select few people, if anyone, that she identified as female.

*HRT for teenagers being so controversial and all.  In Northampton she'd probably have better luck than in most parts of the country, but still, it may have been easier to just wait than to try to jump through the correct hoops.  I know HRT is not a required part of transition, but since Claire started both around the same time, I think it was for her.

_Islanio

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • This eagerness to change..
« Reply #62 on: 18 Dec 2021, 09:58 »

According to Claire, her parents divorced because he father cheated on her mother: https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2371
oh

Mr Intrepid

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #63 on: 18 Dec 2021, 17:42 »

According to Claire, her parents divorced because he father cheated on her mother: https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2371
       Interesting (?) Note.  Claire's shirt says "Reader con 09"  and it fits her like one would expect.  Does this give a point in the QC timeliness.  Within a couple of years after most?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #64 on: 18 Dec 2021, 22:17 »

There haven't been any complaints, and I don't think anyone's over a line, but Claire hasn't raised the subject of her medical history and it doesn't bear on the current plot.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up