THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

May's outfit in this Monday's comic is a modified period costume, but which era?

Georgian
Victorian
mid to late1800s American school marm
well, that's a sleeveless French maid blouse, right?
mix-n-match (please explain)

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Jan 24th to Jan 28th, 2022 (pages 4706 to 4710)  (Read 13752 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Re: WCDT Jan 24th to Jan 28th, 2022 (pages 4706 to 4710)
« Reply #50 on: 26 Jan 2022, 03:24 »

I know it's played up for comedy a bit, and Marigold can be extremely stubborn, but I can't help but wonder why she's so invested in this. She's acting like a literal petulant child. Her insisting she's not lactose intolerant and/or that cow milk is superior makes some measure of sense, her being this angry about the little experiment and trick... just why. Why is she this emotionally invested in what kind of milk she drinks.

Because being lied to about what you are consuming is messed up regardless of how 'harmless' the thing you are consuming is. Again, this barely qualifies as that, but being referred to as a petulant child is pretty common for neurodiverse folks
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #51 on: 26 Jan 2022, 03:28 »

I know it's played up for comedy a bit, and Marigold can be extremely stubborn, but I can't help but wonder why she's so invested in this. She's acting like a literal petulant child. Her insisting she's not lactose intolerant and/or that cow milk is superior makes some measure of sense, her being this angry about the little experiment and trick... just why. Why is she this emotionally invested in what kind of milk she drinks.
Same reaction that for example John Lennon had when it turned out he needed glasses. He was less than enthusiastic about it. Later his glasses became iconic.

I have never experienced someone learning they are lactose intolerant, but I would assume thats a compareable situation.
Carpe Diem

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #52 on: 26 Jan 2022, 03:36 »

@Thrillho, @snubnose - all good points. I hadn't considered your angles, and I imagine "petulant child" was maybe not the most fortunate choice of words on my part, in any case. Sorry.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #53 on: 26 Jan 2022, 03:49 »

I've just noticed that, in panels 3 ad 4 today, Dale had his pinkie raised as he was tasting the coffee. This is a man with class and a solid grasp of etiquette!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

DreDotJs

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #54 on: 26 Jan 2022, 04:32 »

Honestly, as much as no one likes being tricked, I'm sure they don't like having the room cleared out because of their nuclear farts. It's why I gave up milk in the first place. The idea of sticking to something that makes you physically uncomfortable and then makes it hard for people to be around you just because you don't wanna embrace change in the form of literally any substitute boggles my mind. Especially when it's more about the principle of the thing rather than the actual flavor or drinking experience.

I mean yes, we don't see anyone being attacked by Mari Farts, but I'm pretty sure May wouldn't bother with this ruse if it wasn't hitting critical mass at this point. That really seems to be May and Dale's whole job, to trick Mari into getting her head out of her ass.

Potato Farmer

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #55 on: 26 Jan 2022, 06:10 »

It does seem in character for Marigold to be so utterly boneheaded about something that her friends have to resort to trickery to get her to acknowledge she's not being reasonable.

Inconsequential

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #56 on: 26 Jan 2022, 07:10 »

And now, Jeph must introduce a chameleonic robot.

Already done; Roko can change her skin and hair color at will. She discovered this by reading her user manual (on paper LOL) and tried it out briefly by turning herself green. And then Yay remarked that her old body could do this as well.

Also, when May was placed into her new body, the hair and skin color were already blue by default, but the shades changed to match her old body just before she opened her eyes. Perhaps May can change color if she wants, perhaps not, but it seems likely that her particular blues are part of her identity so she's keeping them. She once remarked "I like being a blue robot chick."

The bodies of other AIs may be able to do this as well, but color seems to become part of their identity. For example, Pintsize kept his color scheme when he changed bodies.

In any case, it's kinda strange to see May in actual respectable clothing. But she is taking her job very damn seriously, that's for sure.
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2022, 07:15 by Inconsequential »

_Islanio

• This eagerness to change..
« Reply #57 on: 26 Jan 2022, 07:31 »

Which raises the question: why would they need sprays of they can change colors? I picture it would be a technology similar to electronic ink (like in Kindle screens) that's not only energy efficient, but also non light emitting. It doesn't make a lot of sense to be only one colour for the whole body, as it would potentially have color variations in different spots. In short, they could, maybe, display whatever picture they wanted in their skin.
But, then, I'm just overthinking I guess.
oh

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #58 on: 26 Jan 2022, 07:48 »

Which raises the question: why would they need sprays of they can change colors?

Iris told Faye the reason - Something about the sprays being wash-off and  teaching a lesson in impermanence for a species who are functionally immortal.
~~~~

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #59 on: 26 Jan 2022, 08:30 »

Because being lied to about what you are consuming is messed up regardless of how 'harmless' the thing you are consuming is. Again, this barely qualifies as that, but being referred to as a petulant child is pretty common for neurodiverse folks

I can be this level of stubborn about things. A big part of what motivates me to be this way is an aversion to allowing a certain type of dynamic to be set-up in my relationships particularly with people like May who would being willing to lie or trick me to prove their point. You don't want people like that to get comfortable insisting on their recommendations for your lifestyle, even good recommendations.

If Marigold agreed that dairy makes her stomach upset, que the lectures for every piece of pizza or ice cream she ever tries to enjoy in their presence from here on out and condescending remarks every time her stomach hurts because "oh you must have secretly cheated on this restricted diet we made you be on for your health."

There is a reason that relationships with doctors, bosses and parents are different than friendships with peers. 

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #60 on: 26 Jan 2022, 12:30 »

My guess is that May has been haranguing her about dairy for quite a while now, and that Marigold is getting fed up with it. May has been on quite the 'get Marigold to improve herself' kick (meetings, yoga, etc.) and the milk thing might just be the proverbial straw. "So much has changed already, just let me drink my coffee the way I want it!"
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #61 on: 26 Jan 2022, 13:00 »

Is another overbearing personal assistant who doesn't respect boundaries going to end up getting shot into space? 

And perhaps forced to watch cheesy films?  Tilly could be the human, and, Station and May could be the robot friends.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #62 on: 26 Jan 2022, 13:36 »

Anyway, potatoes are lovely.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

baronvonfritz

• Plantmonster
« Reply #63 on: 26 Jan 2022, 15:10 »

I love how mature and thoughtful this community is, and has grown up to be.  You all have made me consider some aspects of particular food allergies, and peoples notions/reactions towards them this week. It's a subtle shift in my view towards sneaky cooking, and people also not wanting to like some foods.

The analysis into May's attire, although the subject of the poll, turned into a subnote in this weeks topic, is also informative.

BUT! I really cannot help myself but to devolve my comment into OMG MAY'S FRIGGIN GINORMOUS TITTIES!!!

Ahem, hmm, thank you, that is all.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #64 on: 26 Jan 2022, 16:30 »

[logical question snipped]
But, then, I'm just overthinking I guess.

That's what we're here for!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Inconsequential

« Reply #65 on: 26 Jan 2022, 16:55 »

Which raises the question: why would they need sprays of they can change colors?

The chromatophores or whatever that make AI skin and hair change color might not have enough "resolution" for images. Roko's color change seemed to proceed on a very gradual gradient and take at least a few seconds. And of course, the color-changing whatsits might not be individually addressable.

Octopi can produce various colors and patterns with a few thousand chromatophores. Do AIs work the same way? Dunno.

Or maybe our benevolent host hasn't overthought this mechanism to the same degree? Or maybe he has and just doesn't want to draw robots with patterned skin because it's a giant pain in the wrist and other parts. Dunno.

Until Plaidbot or Tigerbot appear, we may never know.

It is fairly clear that color is a fairly stable part of AI identity; as far as I remember, Winston is the only one who took on a new color scheme with his new body. His former body was basically a white plastic box (he was basically a large iPod), so he had a choice for the first time.

There's a whole interesting collection of thoughts around the idea of being able to choose and change your skin color, and why people who could change with a thought generally keep it the same. Maybe it's just considered polite to keep yourself more visually recognizable.

And of course, it's pretty neat to see a world where skin color is just a completely neutral characteristic.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #66 on: 26 Jan 2022, 18:38 »

New comic.

Yes, yes, well done, etc.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #67 on: 26 Jan 2022, 19:25 »

...still miss soy.

(He says, getting almond milk and sugar when it's twenty degrees Fahrenheit.)

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #68 on: 26 Jan 2022, 19:32 »

BUT! I really cannot help myself but to devolve my comment into OMG MAY'S FRIGGIN GINORMOUS TITTIES!!!

Yeah....I don't recall her seeming so....prominent the last time we saw her.
Quis pater tibi est?

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #69 on: 26 Jan 2022, 20:19 »

The body could be self-adjustable.

"Ok, STOP INFLATING THEM."

"Shit, I can't see my own feet!"

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #70 on: 26 Jan 2022, 20:25 »

All the talk of potatoes on the previous page reminded me of this bit from a 1996 Matk Lowry CD. BTW, the music video mentioned at the end of the snippet is called 'Livin' for Deep Fried Okra' (a parody of 'Livin' la Vida Loca).

Some adults really are just like that.

EDIT: typo fixes
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

ChromeViking

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #71 on: 26 Jan 2022, 21:11 »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the size of May's tits.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #72 on: 26 Jan 2022, 21:36 »

...oh thank God.  I guess I'm number three - what the hell is up with May's tits?  Has she gotten them done?

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #73 on: 26 Jan 2022, 22:21 »

"Congratulations for meeting the minimal standard for adulting.  The literal least you could do."
*extremely sarcastic golf clap*

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #74 on: 26 Jan 2022, 22:23 »

The body could be self-adjustable.

"Ok, STOP INFLATING THEM."

"Shit, I can't see my own feet!"

There was an anime back in the 90s/early 2000s, can't remember which one, it was an action series, but one female character they kept intentionally gradually increasing her boob size in every episode.

jesslc

• Furry furrier
« Reply #75 on: 26 Jan 2022, 22:59 »

Having just recently been reflecting on how much shit I have caught for my eating habits over my life and people constantly haranguing me about jt, I do not much care for this small arc, even though it isn't really that
Yeah I've been a bit uncomfortable with it too. People can be really, really shitty to other people about food stuff. This arc is a fairly mild example but it's a reminder of that.

I'm very glad Claire insisted on allowing Marigold to make an informed comparison. And at least today we have May acknowledging that Marigold is an adult and gets to make her own decisions.

Tricking someone into eating something they don't want to eat is really not cool. This is a consent issue. Yes, it can be hard to stand by and watch someone you care about do things that you know aren't good for them, but violating their consent is not the answer.

No one goes around taking cigarettes out of other adults' hands even though everyone knows cigarettes are very bad for you. Respecting people's choices about food shouldn't be any different.

If I couldn't trust someone to be honest with me about the ingredients they used, I wouldn't be eating anything they'd cooked ever again. And none of my food stuff is life threatening. But it also shouldn't have to be a life threatening allergy in order for people to respect other people's autonomy in this matter.

...one coffee with oat milk won't do much if the person in question will keep eating cheese, yogurt, etc. It would be better to get them to a medical professional and get them tested.
Hard cheeses typically have a very low amount of lactose in them. If Marigold is lactose intolerant only (rather than intolerant to all dairy) she'd probably be able to still have most cheeses without any issues.

Pizza is a maybe. I gather that traditionally made mozzarella is too soft a cheese for the lactose reduction that happens with hard cheeses but the stuff mass produced for supermarkets might be different. I think I've heard that some lactose intolerant people can tolerate it, if they don't have too much. Parmesian on bolognese or chedder in a sandwich would probably both be fine. Cottage or cream cheese would definitely be out though, as is yoghurt.

You can actually get lactose free milk though - or at least you can get it here (Australia). I wonder why that wasn't suggested. It tastes exactly like regular milk in my opinion. You can also get tablets to take when you do have lactose (one of my friends has them). They probably don't help much if you have lots of lactose all the time but - as I understand it - they can help if you normally stay away from lactose but have some at one meal for a special occasion. Perhaps Jeph hasn't encountered these options, or maybe we'll see them mentioned in future.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #76 on: 26 Jan 2022, 23:14 »

Marigold is me today. Especially when I've not been getting enough sleep.
~~~~

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #77 on: 26 Jan 2022, 23:56 »

Well there you go, a handful of replies demonstrating exactly that that which I referred earlier as far as treatment of neurodivergents

Or in this case disabilities of any kind, which can include allergies

Anyway today's comic did at least make me.chuckle

solemnwar

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #78 on: 27 Jan 2022, 04:18 »

I like cheese too much to ever fully give up dairy, and luckily the cheeses that I like generally won't affect me too bad (maybe the next day there's a little extra gas). But anything on the more milk-y side can be an almost immediate reaction, and whipped cream will make me feel immediately nauseas ): Soft cheeses and pizza are dicey as well. I will take lactase supplements but they are kinda hit and miss on whether they work or not.

For anything that requires milk I try to find a substitute (usually coconut milk, as I've said before in this thread). It doesn't work as a replacement all the time though, as I discovered trying to use it in tomato soup (bleh) and meatloaf (Bleleeeeehhhhhhhh). It's very nice in cream of potato soup (add some spicy sauce and it kinda reminds me of a thai curry) and cupcakes though.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #79 on: 27 Jan 2022, 07:52 »

I feel like the 2nd panel of today's strip has multiple uses in meat space conversations with friends/family.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #80 on: 27 Jan 2022, 11:36 »

I was going to make a similar comment, but I thought maybe I was just misremembering May's body proportions.  Good to see it is not just me noticing those enormous breasts.

baronvonfritz

• Plantmonster
« Reply #81 on: 27 Jan 2022, 11:45 »

I feel like the 2nd panel of today's strip has multiple uses in meat space conversations with friends/family.

"What if I don't want to get the va...."

I was going to expound upon your notion with a variety of modern situations where this would fit nicely in what you say, but I have a tendency toward provocation, so I think I'll just say, agreed.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #82 on: 27 Jan 2022, 12:04 »

I like cheese too much to ever fully give up dairy, and luckily the cheeses that I like generally won't affect me too bad (maybe the next day there's a little extra gas). But anything on the more milk-y side can be an almost immediate reaction, and whipped cream will make me feel immediately nauseas ): Soft cheeses and pizza are dicey as well. I will take lactase supplements but they are kinda hit and miss on whether they work or not.

For anything that requires milk I try to find a substitute (usually coconut milk, as I've said before in this thread). It doesn't work as a replacement all the time though, as I discovered trying to use it in tomato soup (bleh) and meatloaf (Bleleeeeehhhhhhhh). It's very nice in cream of potato soup (add some spicy sauce and it kinda reminds me of a thai curry) and cupcakes though.

Incredible post. Do we have a cooking thread?

baronvonfritz

• Plantmonster
« Reply #83 on: 27 Jan 2022, 12:05 »

I was going to make a similar comment, but I thought maybe I was just misremembering May's body proportions.  Good to see it is not just me noticing those enormous breasts.

I think when we saw May 3.0's betitted body come online it was from further away and we could see her from head to toe, so they seemed smaller by comparison to the hip level perspective.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #84 on: 27 Jan 2022, 13:19 »

It could also be the style of the clothing, with the lines (or pleats? or those inset bits you get on some knitted sweaters?) being distorted making them look bigger. Somewhat like this tshirt plays on

Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Inconsequential

« Reply #85 on: 27 Jan 2022, 15:04 »

Much as I hate to further or encourage this line of inquiry, I might point out that this is most likely the first time we've seen May 2.0 wearing a bra.

I've noted similar notable effects with notable owners of notable organic endowments who add supportive undergarments to their wardrobes.
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2022, 15:11 by Inconsequential »

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #86 on: 27 Jan 2022, 16:48 »

Tijubas.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #87 on: 27 Jan 2022, 18:16 »

Dammit, Jeph, I'm asthmatic; don't do this to me.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #88 on: 27 Jan 2022, 18:54 »

I'd say that I'm amazed the Cool S is still a thing, but it goes back decades, if not centuries. It's basically the meme of memes.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #89 on: 27 Jan 2022, 18:57 »

...so anyway, I feel like there is not a chance in hell May hasn't had a boob job.  I only wonder whether she somehow did it herself, got it done from our favorite chassis repairwomen, or got it done from someone else.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #90 on: 27 Jan 2022, 18:58 »

I need to make sure that my kids do not find out that you can buy tattoo guns off the Internet. They're already way too interested in mine (my daughter used to say that she wanted "the same tattoos that you have, mommy!", which is both adorable and slightly creepy. Ah, kids...) I can just visualize them trying to duplicate mine.

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #91 on: 27 Jan 2022, 19:20 »

I'd never thought about it before - and yeah, I suppose you can buy just about anything online - but... a tattoo gun? To anyone who wants it - even a minor?   :?

I've never had any real inclination to get a tattoo because my first thought was always "What if I don't like it later?".  So I'm always surprised by people going for a tattoo after commenting about how bad a tattoo looks on an older person - what, did they think a tattoo is just gonna vanish when the owner is no longer young?    :laugh:

"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Wombat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #92 on: 27 Jan 2022, 19:27 »

A lot of my friends' first tattoos were stick 'n pokes, so even keeping the youngins away from buying their own tattoo gun is no guarantee...probably still a good idea, though.

I love Emmett's "cool S" tattoo, though I have to wonder how Emmett feels about it now. (And, I guess by extention, wonder how old they were when they bought this tattoo gun.)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #93 on: 27 Jan 2022, 19:53 »

I'd never thought about it before - and yeah, I suppose you can buy just about anything online - but... a tattoo gun? To anyone who wants it - even a minor?   :?

Yeah, that tends to worry me too....

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #94 on: 27 Jan 2022, 20:44 »

I know a young lady who gave herself a couple when she was 17.  They weren’t bad, but she did eventually get a professional to touch them up a bit.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #95 on: 27 Jan 2022, 22:48 »

I feel like this might also explain why Emmett's parents won't allow them to have a phone with unsupervised internet access  :D
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #96 on: 27 Jan 2022, 23:06 »

It isn't a question of if this has happened in real life but how many times is it happening right npw! Bored teenagers +  the internet + poorly-supervised spending leads to a lot of stuff happening, most of which seemed cool at the time but became an embarrassing story 10 years later.
~~~~

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #97 on: 27 Jan 2022, 23:30 »

I love how mature and thoughtful this community is, and has grown up to be.  You all have made me consider some aspects of particular food allergies, and peoples notions/reactions towards them this week. It's a subtle shift in my view towards sneaky cooking, and people also not wanting to like some foods.

The analysis into May's attire, although the subject of the poll, turned into a subnote in this weeks topic, is also informative.

Ahem, hmm, thank you, that is all.

1) Yeah us! [Genuinely]
2) In this particular instance, y'all do know dairy relief tablets are a thing, right? (I like ice cream and cheese too much to give them up.)
3) I just figured it was the shirt/blouse's texture. You know, like corduroy?

EDIT: Archive comics of May early on with her new body under spoiler for space management. Couldn't find one of her in her old uniform.
(click to show/hide)

The blouse is also cut differently to all of these  sportsbras(?), so that could be part of it.

EDIT 2: Hmmm.....Seems like her arms might be a bit buffer as well? Though that could also be the synthetic muscles flexing.
Maybe we're seeing a slight art shift again?
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2022, 03:14 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #98 on: 28 Jan 2022, 00:34 »

Well, on the plus side - May doesnt need to breathe.

Except possibly for speaking ?

But a speaker would be more efficient for that than actually recreating a human breathing apparatus.
Carpe Diem

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #99 on: 28 Jan 2022, 00:38 »

I mean yes, we don't see anyone being attacked by Mari Farts, but I'm pretty sure May wouldn't bother with this ruse if it wasn't hitting critical mass at this point. That really seems to be May and Dale's whole job, to trick Mari into getting her head out of her ass.

Wouldn't the lactose-intolerant farts/poops be enough to get Marigold to get her own head out of her ass?  That's gotta be awful...  :clairedoge:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up