They get on with their lives in the knowledge that this could come up agaijn
- 5 (18.5%)
The entire cast have an intervention
- 1 (3.7%)
Implausible but well-scripted crisis that forces a reconcilation
- 4 (14.8%)
They (literally) kiss and make up an dwe never hear of this again
- 6 (22.2%)
We have a 'neutral party review' for both Bubbles and Faye and they both realise that they're being dumb
- 9 (33.3%)
Angus and one of Bubbles' old friends from the creche turn up at a critical moment
- 2 (7.4%)
Other (please specify in comment)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT - Strips 4796 to 4800 (30th May to 3rd June 2022)  (Read 17588 times)

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
Re: WCDT - Strips 4796 to 4800 (30th May to 3rd June 2022)
« Reply #50 on: 03 Jun 2022, 02:54 »

This wasn’t a nothingburger — we saw Faye admit she’s still struggling with her alcoholism and go to Hanners for support. That’s a sign of major character growth.

Is Faye in AA or some other support network for her sobriety?

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #51 on: 03 Jun 2022, 02:57 »

we saw Faye admit she’s still struggling with her alcoholism

Huh. I honestly forgot she's an alcoholic. Thanks for pointing this out. I read her comment as a random bit of snark, didn't even register to me that mentioning alcohol is significant to her specifically.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #52 on: 03 Jun 2022, 03:17 »

I think the weeks poll should maybe end sooner ? People who havent voted yet have an unfair advantage now.
Carpe Diem

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #53 on: 03 Jun 2022, 04:20 »

Also, she still seems to be heterochromatic; I suppose eyes are a completely different job to skin…

I noticed it a few strips ago (i.e., in the repair shop).  Was she before, or is it since the fire?

OK, she has two pink eyes as recently as the Girls Night In streaming, and one green and one brown in her first appearance after the party, before any work was done at Union Robotics.  Her eyes were not replaced, they just changed color?
« Last Edit: 03 Jun 2022, 04:32 by flondrix »

notStanley

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #54 on: 03 Jun 2022, 09:46 »

aahhh, the fine aroma of a classic dermal fixative gel on a brisk autumn evening.  Such memories :}

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #55 on: 03 Jun 2022, 11:37 »

Also, she still seems to be heterochromatic; I suppose eyes are a completely different job to skin…

I noticed it a few strips ago (i.e., in the repair shop).  Was she before, or is it since the fire?

OK, she has two pink eyes as recently as the Girls Night In streaming, and one green and one brown in her first appearance after the party, before any work was done at Union Robotics.  Her eyes were not replaced, they just changed color?
Huh. Maybe eye colour is a setting on Melon’s chassis model, like skin colour is on Roko’s, and it got messed up by the fire damage?
Or it could be simple permanent thermal degradation of the pigment causing permanent discolouration but in that case I feel like they would have stopped functioning outright if they got that hot.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #56 on: 03 Jun 2022, 12:02 »

Comic's up.

A peaceful resolution. Also, Melon has long hair now. Has she been hanging upside down in the vat? She probably enjoyed that.

When you're getting your scalp replaced, perhaps there are other ways to install new hair along with it?

When we saw May getting new dermal, Bubbles sewed the hair on by hand.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #57 on: 03 Jun 2022, 12:14 »

aahhh, the fine aroma of a classic dermal fixative gel on a brisk autumn evening.  Such memories :}

Smells like victory.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #58 on: 03 Jun 2022, 12:18 »

Comic's up.

A peaceful resolution. Also, Melon has long hair now. Has she been hanging upside down in the vat? She probably enjoyed that.

When you're getting your scalp replaced, perhaps there are other ways to install new hair along with it?

When we saw May getting new dermal, Bubbles sewed the hair on by hand.
May’s old chassis was the cheapest government bureaucracy could concoct, and probably second or third hand at that given the legs were different lengths and one kept popping out of its socket.

But yeah, I can see the dermal coming with a default set of starter hair if you buy a “complete replacement pack” or whatever.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #59 on: 03 Jun 2022, 14:08 »

Apparently, they could be automatically implanted, with the right equipment. I imagine it's much like an old fashioned plastic doll's hair is attached, although that's properly done from the inside out.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #60 on: 03 Jun 2022, 15:42 »

I hope Melon has mood eyes, like a mood ring!

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #61 on: 03 Jun 2022, 16:51 »

Awwwwww.

BAD MELON. *lol*

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #62 on: 04 Jun 2022, 10:01 »

Apparently, they could be automatically implanted, with the right equipment. I imagine it's much like an old fashioned plastic doll's hair is attached, although that's properly done from the inside out.
If the dermal replacement is scheduled, the skin would be ordered.  Perhaps Skins R Us has the equipment for implanting hair.

Emily discovered the ability to change Momo's hair color, though I don't know if that is really canon.  (Animated GIFs seldom are.)

Mr Intrepid

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #63 on: 04 Jun 2022, 18:23 »

It's possible that abilities like that may be model specific.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #64 on: 05 Jun 2022, 05:15 »

I imagine both of them will receive a bit of perspective from Hanners/Melon, meet up again, apologise regretfully to each other, and end the week amorously.

If you didn't immediately recognise the pattern, welcome to QC, enjoy your stay.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #65 on: 05 Jun 2022, 15:56 »

I'm disappointed at the resolution of Faye and Bubbles' conflict.

If an argument ended that way between, say, two friends of mine, I'd be very happy for them.

As a resolution within a story - that's kind of a nothingburger. It doesn't tell me much more about them and it isn't interesting. I'm not saying they *needed* to have a big fight - a positive ending to their fight could've been more interesting, or at least more elaborate. As-is, it is ground that has been thread before, and honestly doesn't move things forward.

There isn't even implication Fay (or Bubbles) is avoiding conflict out of fear rather than for healthier reasons (as her conversation with Hannelore briefly indicated). No, it reads like "they were angry at each other, now they apologised".

I honestly hoped it'd go in a newer direction. Show something about them, or have their fight resolved in a uniquely Bubbles (or uniquely Faye) way, or notice something deeper about their relationship, good or bad, or anything like that.

I still have some leftover hope this is not entirely over, but right now I'm not too optimistic. I hope the comic doesn't just jump to something else. Not everything in the comic has to have a deeper point, but this has felt a bit *too* superfluous to me.

well, we can't have Steve eating cereal every week.

more seriously, as someone who's been enjoying the heck out of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, there's something to be said for short, self-contained plots within an ongoing framework of character development.  not everything has to be a season-long arc with galactic stakes.

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #66 on: 05 Jun 2022, 20:50 »

Huh. Maybe eye colour is a setting on Melon’s chassis model, like skin colour is on Roko’s, and it got messed up by the fire damage?
Or it could be simple permanent thermal degradation of the pigment causing permanent discolouration but in that case I feel like they would have stopped functioning outright if they got that hot.

I suspect Melon had a "This is fine" attitude about the damage done to her head and actually lost that eye, having it replaced with whatever spare eye Union Robotics had on hand. Pink wouldn't be a common shade, so Bubbles or Faye probably let her take her pick. Being what she is, I further suspect that Melon would like the slightly (more) deranged effect it gives, and will leave them mismatched...
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

moz1959

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #67 on: 06 Jun 2022, 07:21 »

Or the robot heterochromia could be like the moisture telltales used by iThingies to indicate that a warranty voiding event has taken place.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #68 on: 07 Jun 2022, 02:26 »

I think the weeks poll should maybe end sooner ? People who havent voted yet have an unfair advantage now.

Sometimes us poll makers forget to set a deadline or stop the voting. [Waves at you]
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up