THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT - Strips 4811 to 4815 (20th to 24th June 2022)  (Read 16412 times)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
Re: WCDT - Strips 4811 to 4815 (20th to 24th June 2022)
« Reply #50 on: 22 Jun 2022, 20:31 »

Comic's up.

I hate phone calls too, not sure why :/

Because they demand that you drop whatever you’re doing to deal with them, and it’s typically considered rude to keep ignoring them until you have the time/energy?

Of course, considering that I have worked billing in a call centre, I hate phone calls with the fire of a thousand suns going supernova.

Oh geez!
[earnest] That sounds worse than trying to get completed customer satisfaction surveys from California [1] (I had much better luck getting surveys completed with people from New York, NY).

[1]The American Do Not Call list has a number of exceptions that a number of folks seem ignorant of.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #51 on: 22 Jun 2022, 20:44 »

Or just cell phones which, here in NZ anyway, do not have area codes associated with the number.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #52 on: 22 Jun 2022, 20:51 »

Having driven multiple times from Amherst to Bradley (once with a broken tie rod) I can tell you Aurelia is full of it.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

baronvonfritz

• Plantmonster
« Reply #53 on: 22 Jun 2022, 20:57 »

I will my sense of disbelief to just believe that in a not to distant alternate future reality that is QC with super sweet robot friends (sweet as in kind, AND as in awesome), that people don't have phone numbers that display anymore, it all just shows up as the person or business.  This is starting to happen to me when the doctors office calls, or I call some business from G-maps, it changes the icon to a little building and states the businesses name with no number. 

Just following the logic to the end, I would think all caller ID would just show who's calling, and QC's telcoms managed to effectively eradicate spam calls, spoofed callers (Save for Yay's abilities), or ID masking abilities (Save for Yay's abilities, sorry, I just love Yay so much).

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #54 on: 22 Jun 2022, 21:04 »

[1]The American Do Not Call list has a number of exceptions that a number of folks seem ignorant of.

Aye, there are exceptions.  Thing is that I'm on the list because I don't want people I don't know calling me.  Just because it's not illegal, it's (generally) something that people explicitly do not want to deal with.  Thankfully, my phone is set to send anyone not in my contacts list straight to voicemail, which gets rid of most of 'em.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #55 on: 22 Jun 2022, 22:55 »

Or just cell phones which, here in NZ anyway, do not have area codes associated with the number.

In the US cell phones do have area codes, and the ones they assign are generally whatever the local area codes for the area you activated your cell phone. So they probably both locally have local area code phone numbers on cell phones unless one of them was living somewhere else when they first got the current number they have.

Gyrre

« Reply #56 on: 22 Jun 2022, 23:29 »

Aye, there are exceptions.  Thing is that I'm on the list because I don't want people I don't know calling me.  Just because it's not illegal, it's (generally) something that people explicitly do not want to deal with.  Thankfully, my phone is set to send anyone not in my contacts list straight to voicemail, which gets rid of most of 'em.

That I very much understand (I'm also on the list for those reasons). It's just when you have to take off the headset from someone screeching or bellowing into their receiver for the umpteenth time as they threaten litigation [1] and ensuring your homelessness that it gets pretty eyerolly. Especially when most call centers use an autodialer program that only let's the human emloyee pause calls to a number for a predetermined amount of time[2]. While I understood their frustration, there really wasn't much I could do about it[3], so the assorted threats[4] were entirely uncalled for.

[1]against the employee as well as the company.
[2] At least that was the case when I did phone surveys a decade or so ago.
[3] And only a supervisor could actually remove the number from the computer's list.
[4] Including bodily harm.

EDIT: And I should point out Californians were the ones who did this the most. Easily 4 or 5 times more than any other state.
EDIT 2: typo correction
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2022, 02:45 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #57 on: 23 Jun 2022, 03:26 »

I guess that I think in a different way but I honestly can't understand why this is such a big issue for Marigold. Actually, living in the same small town as a professional collaborator with the same interests as me might actually be nice - To have someone with whom I can hang out and talk about issues others wouldn't necessarily 'get'.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #58 on: 23 Jun 2022, 07:02 »

Especially when most call centers use an autodialer program that only let's the human emloyee pause calls to a number for a predetermined amount of time[2]. While I understood their frustration, there really wasn't much I could do about it[3], so the assorted threats[4] were entirely uncalled for.

[1]against the employee as well as the company.
[2] At least that was the case when I did phone surveys a decade or so ago.
[3] And only a supervisor could actually remove the number from the computer's list.
[4] Including bodily harm.

I can imagine.  People are pretty awful.  I'd usually either just hang up because I didn't want to deal with it, or feign interest, then claim that the (fictional) dog/kid/anaconda was getting into something, putting the phone on "hold", and then abandoning it.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Emperor Norton

« Reply #59 on: 23 Jun 2022, 11:14 »

I guess that I think in a different way but I honestly can't understand why this is such a big issue for Marigold. Actually, living in the same small town as a professional collaborator with the same interests as me might actually be nice - To have someone with whom I can hang out and talk about issues others wouldn't necessarily 'get'.

I'm not sure it was a problem so much as surprise.

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #60 on: 23 Jun 2022, 16:30 »

The American Do Not Call list is a complete and utter joke.  Political solicitations, religious solicitations, charitable solicitations, and commercial solicitations that just flat-out ignore the DNC list can always get through.  I am constantly getting calls from people running for office, people collecting for the policeman's benevolent association, and people warning me that my car's extended warranty is about to expire.

Since the recipient pays the cost of a cell phone call, no one should be allowed to spam call a cell phone.  Cell phones are the only kind anyone has anymore?  Too bad.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #61 on: 23 Jun 2022, 16:44 »

I know that the car thing is a scam, since I haven’t had a car in over 15 years.

Emperor Norton

« Reply #62 on: 23 Jun 2022, 17:40 »

Mr. Spam Risk calls my phone a lot.

Honestly at this point if I don't have the phone number saved in my phone, I don't even answer it anymore.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #63 on: 23 Jun 2022, 18:28 »

New comic.

I can relate.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #64 on: 23 Jun 2022, 18:38 »

Awwww. Looking forward to next bits.

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #65 on: 23 Jun 2022, 19:45 »

Awwww. Looking forward to next bits.
(Steve eating cereal)

Gyrre

« Reply #66 on: 23 Jun 2022, 20:29 »

DAMN YOU JEPH!

For putting that song in my head. It will now play on repeat in my brain for the next 24 hours or so.

*goes off and puts some other music on to get this out of her head. Spoiler alert: it won't work*

Would you prefer Lemon Demon's 'Touch Tone Telephone' instead?

a real-ass gaddam sword

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #67 on: 23 Jun 2022, 22:00 »

New comic.

I can relate.

I meet up with my friends every weekend to game and have consistently for around a year now.

They're good people, we get along well, nobody judges my idiosycracities or my limitations.

I still feel anxiety the night before. Every damn time.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #68 on: 23 Jun 2022, 23:00 »

Since the recipient pays the cost of a cell phone call,
Wait, what? Is that still a thing in America?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #69 on: 23 Jun 2022, 23:28 »

I concur - my response was a sort of mental double-take, followed by thinking 'How can that work? You could create an intolerable cost for someone just by organizing enough calls to them!'
The only answer would be 'Don't answer calls', to which I would respond 'What's the use of a phone then? You can't know whether a call is just spam until you answer it.'  :-\   

I (in Australia) deal with spam on my land-line by having an answering machine - if someone makes a legitimate call, they leave a message for me to answer - but I don't have to pay for every call my machine answers!!  :facepalm:

Am I missing something? Please illuminate my darkened intellect if that is so.  :-D
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #70 on: 24 Jun 2022, 00:34 »

If you have limited talk time on your phone plan, you use up time whenever a call connects, whether you are making the call or receiving it. It's not like you get a bill for every call, but you are using up a limited resource that you paid for every time you answer a call.

If you hang up immediately, it's a minimum amount, but... then... that works both ways. There's a set minimum amount deducted from your account for calls under a certain duration(I think mine might have been 15 cents when I had my old flip phone, on an account where I paid in 25 dollars every three months to maintain it).

In most cases, it's essentially a nuisance. Unless you're going out of your way to both answer and stay on the line with every shady call you get, it's unlikely to seriously impact your minutes.

Still, the frustration is very real and very justified. People didn't pay for those minutes to waste them on scammers and cold callers.

(or in my case, weirdos and debt collectors from all over washington state looking for some guy named Marcus who had my phone number before me)

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #71 on: 24 Jun 2022, 00:34 »

Comic:
This can ONLY end well, right?
Marbear and Ma Augustus get blazed, monch cookies and giggle at the good b(orz)oi...
What the hell are YOU staring at?

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #72 on: 24 Jun 2022, 00:50 »

Plot twist: Cosmo originally belonged to Marigold’s parents and has been missing for months. Marbear never mentioned it before because a) she doesn’t talk to people and b) it’s just a random dog that was lost miles away, what are the odds?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Gyrre

« Reply #73 on: 24 Jun 2022, 03:34 »

The American Do Not Call list is a complete and utter joke.  Political solicitations, religious solicitations, charitable solicitations, and commercial solicitations that just flat-out ignore the DNC list can always get through.  I am constantly getting calls from people running for office, people collecting for the policeman's benevolent association, and people warning me that my car's extended warranty is about to expire.

Since the recipient pays the cost of a cell phone call, no one should be allowed to spam call a cell phone.  Cell phones are the only kind anyone has anymore?  Too bad.
I haven't worked there in years and my completion rate was one of the worst my supervisor had ever seen. I didn't like the job at all and felt it was a waste of my time and that of the people I ended up on the phone with.

Of the scam calls though, I got the card holder services one after a particularly hot day on the daily yard job when I drove crew transport for the railroad.
[Incredibly smug tone] "This is card holder services. We're attempting to contact you regarding recent activity on your account. Could I have your date of birth and the last four of your Social to verify your identity?"
[Flatly with rising suspicion]"For which company?"
[knocked off balance] "We're calling on behalf of-"
[bluntly]"No no, which company are you calling from?"
[Knocked completely off track. Stalls for a few seconds] "I'm not allowed to disclose that information"
[Tersely]"Then neither am I. Never call this number again."

And then the card holder services scam got automated a few months down the line.

I got the car's extended warranty one with a live human exactly once. I was driving a 20 year old car at the time, and they couldn't tell me the make or model when I asked "just for verification"
a real-ass gaddam sword

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up