- 5 (14.7%)
Corpse Witch
- 4 (11.8%)
Spookybot's secret base
- 10 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: 22 Aug 2022, 05:30

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT - August 15 to August 19, 2022 (strips #4851 to #4855)  (Read 14826 times)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

New strip!

NO, Marten, sewers are for Ninja Turtles, not people.

notStanley

• Larger than most fish

Yay has way too much class to ever need a secret lair in the sewers!  Mountain top, coral reef, active caldera; maybe.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Isn’t Yay’s secret base just an apartment in an upscale building, full of greyhounds?
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Are you saying Ninja Turtles aren't people?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Isn’t Yay’s secret base just an apartment in an upscale building, full of greyhounds?
Incorrect; it is in fact several.
New strip!

NO, Marten, sewers are for Ninja Turtles, not people.
Excuse you; ninja turtles are people too.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

John Allenson

• Obscure cultural reference

Was Marten always prone to catastrophising?
Granted, jumping to the conclusion that every 'serious talk' from a SO is going to be a breakup seems to be common.

And again, wouldn't they have already had the conversation about Claire getting offered a job outside of commuting distance?

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?

We all know the sewers are full of mutants.  Or at least those of us still willing to claim Futurama fandom.
This space intentionally left almost blank.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

We all know the sewers are full of mutants.  Or at least those of us still willing to claim Futurama fandom.
Mutant versions of Vespavenger and Corpse Witch, scheming revenge against the world above.

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?

You thought it was Marten who was going to have the freakout, but it was me, Faye!

Tired jojo references aside, I think Marten's calm acceptance is a prelude to Faye freaking out because her best friend and half the rent payers are leaving.

(and also probably unresolved baggage about Faye's own mental state)

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

If Marten and Claire leave, I do wonder if Pintsize might decide to stay. He has said in the past that his “job” with Marten is done, and he has his own sources of income, so he can afford to take on Marten’s part of the lease. But Faye’s reaction will likely be a big deal.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

Marten took that pretty well. Tho we'll see....

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot

If this is an actual put on a bus I will eat three hats.
oh god

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.

1) Marten and Claire do actually leave the (active) QC comic.

2) Spin-off comic, set in Nova Scotia!
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

In a shocking turn of events, Marten is a chill bro.

(more genuinely shocking is that Marten has been seriously contemplating his own future)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Ooh I can't wait to see this.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.

You thought it was Marten who was going to have the freakout, but it was me, Faye!

Tired jojo references aside, I think Marten's calm acceptance is a prelude to Faye freaking out because her best friend and half the rent payers are leaving.

(and also probably unresolved baggage about Faye's own mental state)

God I forgot to consider the amazing potential outcome of Marten and Claire cube into the sunset and Faye has a gigantic self-involved meltdown for my poll, how didn’t I think of this, this sounds classic as hell! Just Like Old Times!

Jeph please do it please please please God it’d be such a power move

Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Ooh I can't wait to see this.

Incidentally, this is not the first time I've come across the concept of a hat sandwich.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

zioninavision

• Plantmonster
  • pi is basically 3 ; 1 and 4 do not round up

If Marten and Claire leave, I do wonder if Pintsize might decide to stay. He has said in the past that his “job” with Marten is done, and he has his own sources of income, so he can afford to take on Marten’s part of the lease. But Faye’s reaction will likely be a big deal.

Yes; there may be a wonderful collaborative solution somewhere between all of the characters!!  they all have many potential ways of helping, individually and collectively!!

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Aye.  And Jeph is unlikely to put Faye through a scary relapse. 
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

dutchrvl

Aye.  And Jeph is unlikely to put Faye through a scary relapse.

Yep, QC hasn't really been that type of comic for a long time. Plus, this would be a good time to show that Faye has also evolved, which would be good.

If I'm honest, as much as I have a fondness for Marten as a character, his storylines have mostly ended, and I have been much less engaged with Claire's storylines. Perhaps having them move would be the sensible thing to do. They could still be mentioned and appear occasionally when relevant to the storylines, but Jeph would not have to consider letting them appear somewhat regularly to keep fans appeased.

Besides Faye, it'd also be interesting to see his mom's reaction.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Yeah, Veronica moved all the way up here to a) semi-retire and b) be closer to her only son… then he moves even further north to chase after another girl?

… at least she likes this one?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Tova

• coprophage

Yeah, Veronica moved all the way up here to a) semi-retire and b) be closer to her only son… then he moves even further north to chase after another girl?

I thought it was b) to chase a boy. Am I misremembering?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

I thought it was b) to chase a boy. Am I misremembering?

It can be all of the above.  And yes, Jim the Baker Dude was a big part of why she came, but she'd been thinking about it before then for the retirement and proximity to Marten.

Tova

• coprophage

Okay, sure. Point is, it ultimately wasn't just to be closer to her son. So.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

New comic.

Awwww.

Aggie

• Not quite a lurker

I'm not following Claire's nitpick about the bridge metaphor.

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.

Yeah, isn't that the point of that saying anyway?

… at least she likes this one?

I may be only a little European with no concept of long distances but I checked a map and California is like, four times as far away as Nova Scotia. There's probably some easy public transport links up the Maine coastline, right? right?

Tova

• coprophage

Also confused.

Yeah, isn't that the point of that saying anyway?

Yes, 100%.

Tova

• coprophage

I'm a fan of saying, "We'll burn that bridge when we get to it."

oddtail

Yeah, Claire's nitpick makes no sense to me.

The saying means "we'll deal with that issue when we're faced with that issue, we won't anticipate it or plan for it too obsessively in advance".

Claire's nitpicking is therefore paraphrased as "but isn't it impossible to deal with an issue before it comes up?". Like... yeah?

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?

There's probably some easy public transport links up the Maine coastline, right? right?
Sarcasm noted.  That would be "No". 

But to be pedantic: Best public transport route would be Amtrak to Montreal and then a puddle jumper plane to island.  Unless there's an airport with service to the island from Brunswick Maine, the furthest north Amtrak appears to run.  I didn't research any bus services on the theory that a bus can't drive on water, but a quick perusal of the map suggests I need to review my Canadian geography.  Regardless, access to the cube, if it is indeed off shore, is most likely only by boat anyway, and those are seldom public transport.

Pseudowolf

• Not quite a lurker

1) Marten and Claire do actually leave the (active) QC comic.

2) Spin-off comic, set in Nova Scotia!

QuEHstionable Content

zioninavision

• Plantmonster
  • pi is basically 3 ; 1 and 4 do not round up

i sort of already said this last week i think, but the subtle art style changes are ruling :) :) 

Yes; i feel like there will definitely be some days where we see the happenings of Claire and Marten, wherever they will be.  although Marten seems to think they will be living directly in Cubetown, it could also be that they will need to live somewhere like Halifax and Claire will commute to Cubetown!!
If they are literally going to live 24/7 onboard the AI floating research community, i feel like there would definitely be comics featuring that!!   :D :P :)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

Could end up with a work from home telepresence thing, too.

As long as Cubetown isn't like Rapture 2.0 (Bioshock reference)

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Why doesn't she just ask Clinton?  He obviously is obsessed with the project.

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Regardless, access to the cube, if it is indeed off shore, is most likely only by boat anyway, and those are seldom public transport.
There are ferries as part of the public transport system here.

Gyrre

Claire ends up becoming thr borg queen.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Claire ends up becoming thr borg queen.
We are the cuborg. Lower your lifestyle magazines and surrender your music players. We will add to your cultural and technological knowledge. Resistance is futile.
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2022, 13:44 by Mr_Rose »

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?

... We will add to your cultural and technological knowledge. ...
I could name several conservatives that this should happen to, but I'll skip that here.

dutchrvl

... We will add to your cultural and technological knowledge. ...
I could name several conservatives that this should happen to, but I'll skip that here.

I don't think they actually lack that knowledge, but just deliberately choose to ignore anything that doesn't further their cause/ideology

Cinnibar

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

"itnterview" ?

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.

"Cubetown" is actually a pretty good name for a new comic...
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

.... whoops. *lol*

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

I don't think they actually lack that knowledge, but just deliberately choose to ignore anything that doesn't further their cause/ideology

My mother isn’t even one of the frightening fringe that is the current GQP, and when confronted with evidence that contradicts her preconceptions, she just snaps that she doesn’t believe that.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Gyrre

My mother isn’t even one of the frightening fringe that is the current GQP, and when confronted with evidence that contradicts her preconceptions, she just snaps that she doesn’t believe that.
[Consoling back pat of understanding and shared suffering]

Same.
a real-ass gaddam sword

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

Comic!

Too late!  That was your one and only chance, and you blew it!

Y

• Curry sauce

"Probably doing human fluid disposal"

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

I'm glad that I'm not the only one so hopeless in working out what you're supposed to do with the green button that I run out of time to answer calls.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.

Unscheduled phone interviews are horrible and Claire would be better off not working for a company that doesn't respect their applicant's time in such a way.
Quis pater tibi est?

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Yeah.  My 2nd interview at my current job was a surprise phone one, and I was slightly tipsy (and I work at a rehab) because I wasn't expecting to hear anything for a few more days.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up