Have you ever worked anywhere kinda like Station's description of Cubetown

No, thank god
- 15 (65.2%)
...yeah, and it was A Lot
- 8 (34.8%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: 17 Sep 2022, 18:30

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT - September 12th to September 16th, 2022 (strips #4871 to #4875)  (Read 14602 times)

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

Clinton cannot swim. If Clinton could swim, he'd be cavorting around CubeTown like a breaching dolphin.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Thankfully, no.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

Poor Clinton. *lol*

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

"oh hey, I gotta go, I... I'm on fire. Bye!"
*bip!*

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.

I think that's more of an urban versus not-urban thing than an America versus everybody else thing. To a large extent it depends on how built up the area around you is and how much you can afford.

You make a valid point, but in my dialect (and I think this holds true across Britain), a yard simply isn't green.

Imagine a lawn, just behind the house. Probably surrounded by a privacy fence. Certainly going to be some landscaping and trees, but not enough to really be a "garden".

This again shows the dialect disparity. A garden to me could be a landscaped park or a patch of weedy grass out front, as long as it is green. This does all come into everything just being bigger in 'Merica.

I am veering very much off-topic

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.

Imagine a lawn, just behind the house. Probably surrounded by a privacy fence. Certainly going to be some landscaping and trees, but not enough to really be a "garden".

This again shows the dialect disparity. A garden to me could be a landscaped park or a patch of weedy grass out front, as long as it is green. This does all come into everything just being bigger in 'Merica.

I am veering very much off-topic

Hence my usage of lawn. I had presumed that was the British word for an expanse of well-kept grass with few, if any, landscaping features. I presumed garden was a more formally landscaped area centered on flowering plants/bushes/etc rather than an area of grass. When Americans say yard in relation to a house (as in comparison to, say, a school yard or prison yard, which sound more in line with your expectations), we mean we took a bit of a football pitch, put it by our house and we may have some trees or flower beds in it.
Quis pater tibi est?

Storel

Apartment buildings tend to have the sort of backyards that TinPenguin describes, while single-family houses in the suburbs (and Northhampton definitely sounds sub-urban) tend to have green backyards.

Even in San Francisco, which is definitely a city, most houses don't have room for any front yard at all, but they'll have something green in the back.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?

Clinton cannot swim. If Clinton could swim, he'd be cavorting around CubeTown like a breaching dolphin.
Then he fooled everyone around 2299 and 2305.

Probably hasn't thought of it yet.  Or he just got the wrong companion AI (2337).
This space intentionally left almost blank.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...

I had presumed that was the British word for an expanse of well-kept grass with few, if any, landscaping features. I presumed garden was a more formally landscaped area centered on flowering plants/bushes/etc rather than an area of grass.
Tinpenguin's usage sits alongside mine (SE England). In a domestic context I would say a yard is enclosed and hard surfaced/bare earth. A garden is the totality of an area that is at least partially cultivated. A lawn is an area of grass within a garden. So a garden may consist only of a lawn, or it may be lawn plus flower beds. But just to confuse things more a vegetable garden may be an area within a garden used for growing vegetables.
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2022, 11:59 by JimC »

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?

Hmmmm.  Then what is a "green", as in "Willesden green" from Danger Mouse.  A park (US term) with a lawn (UK term)?
This space intentionally left almost blank.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

A "green" would typically be a distinct grassy area neither privately owned (which would be part of a garden, or a field) nor otherwise enclosed (such as a park) - most often an area in the centre of a village with (stereotypically) the church on one side and maybe a village shop or in olden times a baker or blacksmith on another.  The green might be used for communal activities such as a fair or a cricket match (depending on size, of course).  Sometimes a village green may survive even when a village has become absorbed into a larger conurbation, or its name may survive even after the green itself has gone - which is the case at Willesden, a suburb of London which I once lived near (in that case there is a "Willesden Green" station).

In England surviving village greens have legal protection based on a defined modest amount of continuing community use, in the same way that public footpaths do.
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2022, 15:55 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up