- 3 (13.6%)
The last unicorn
- 10 (45.5%)
Pretty sus
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: 10 Oct 2022, 20:11

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT - October 3rd to October 7th, 2022 (strips #4886 to #4890)  (Read 13884 times)

Alexander Krizak

• Not quite a lurker

Maybe it is presumptuous of me to create the WCDT, but I had the poll idea and there was no thread yet, so...

Anyway, obviously Marten is actually a clone and member of the human hivemind that secretly opposes Yay, and the reveal of this truth will allow him to stay in Northampton and move to Cubetown.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

Why would it be presumptuous? First come, first serve :)
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!

Marten CAN'T be AI/"a robot" - his speech bubbles are round!

Then again, so were Yay's, initially...
What the hell are YOU staring at?

larn

• Not quite a lurker

So he's another Yay-class AI who is much better at passing as a bumbling human.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

Ah, Marten. :D

Wheel.of.Fish

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • Je suis Marxiste, tendence Groucho.

So he's another Yay-class AI who is much better at passing as a bumbling human.

So I registered just to pitch this.

Knowing full well it's extremely unlikely and implausible, particularly as the joke was already made in the bottom text of the comic, but Marten being a really deep-cover super-powerful AI would explain a few things:
- How he was issued a personal companion that was a classified high-grade military chassis
- Why he initially drew the attention of Hannelore
- How he manages to find jobs, as Clare pointed out - the university must have been full of people who wanted or needed that full time library job, but things just fell into place so Marten got it, which kept him in a useful sinecure.
- How events seem to fall into place in unlikely assemblages around him; maybe his presence is why Yay ended up in town. Sure, she had that story about being offended by Corpse Witch's crude work, but why would her interest have been in this innocuous weird town at all?
- Drawing in protective and useful elements around him, like the Aurelius family, Bubbles and even Faye. Through doing no more than being a chill slacker guy he's gathered quite an array of useful associates.

I dunno, if the big reveal was Marten was a high-end extraterrestrial AI all along, I'd buy it. It'd honestly be more satisfying because I slack just as hard as that guy and yet here I am without any giant protective robot roommates or a series of romantic interests who all still stay closely engaged in my social circle.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.

Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?

Marten is secretly an alien of a precognitive race that was implanted in his human mother's womb. They had precognitive flashes of the kind of crap that goes on in this town, so they sent him so they would have an observer to determine that their precognition was not, in fact, defective.

Now they just use him as a transmission antenna. Marten's LifeTM is the second highest rated program on ZRSWB (Zeta Reticuli System Wide Broadcasting).

The first highest are reruns of the human program "Ancient Aliens". Because the Zetans find it hilarious.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Okay, but imagine Claire playing Molly Grue in 15 to 20 years in-comic time for a stage adaptation of TLU.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

zioninavision

• Plantmonster
  • pi is basically 3 ; 1 and 4 do not round up

i'm very intrigued about what Yay might inform them about Cubetown!!

:) :) :D :P   i was hoping it could be something like this but i wasn't sure!!   the reality that Yay is very aware of it, and finds Cubetown to be this instantaneously, viscerally humorous is very wonderful to see and feel!! 

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

Yay: "I leave Cubtown there for the amusement value."
Everyone: "NOT REASSURING, YAY."

Gyrre

As the kids today say, big oof.
a real-ass gaddam sword

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

as some predicted, Yay has Opinions about Cubetown.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

Yay being Yay, I wonder if this is accompanied by the implication "your gram of sense might be exchanged for a boatload of dosh."
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

So Cubetown requires -two- bouts of scornful laughter. This only increases my anticipation.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

immortalfrieza

• Emoticontraindication

You forgot the truth in your poll. The answer is clearly "The Prettiest Princess."

Cubetown. Claire. You need to run. Please. For the people that love you. For your sanity. RUN!

notStanley

• Larger than most fish

While I am not the most straight-laced of drones, being The Sensible One at a kindergarten on the scale of CubeTown might be too much like work :}  And would it require hazard pay?

John Allenson

• Obscure cultural reference

Assuming Yay is correct and truthful, we've got a lot of answers about Cubetown.

Yay isn't running it or involved in it.  Which makes sense since Yay wants to avoid attention.
Cubetown isn't secretly malevolent or overtly dangerous.  Yay would have said so.
Cubetown is so chaotic that the thought of someone competent moving there is hilarious.

And my vote on Marten, he's just a someone whose coping strategy to being brought up in a chaotic household has been to become Tao.  Hurricanes are sustained by the calm centre.

Storel

Knowing full well it's extremely unlikely and implausible, particularly as the joke was already made in the bottom text of the comic, but Marten being a really deep-cover super-powerful AI would explain a few things:

While I agree that Marten's being an AI would explain all those things, there's another option that explains them all as well:
  • Marten is secretly The Protagonist, and so has plot armor a yard thick.

And Yay's opinion of Cubetown is completely unsurprising, as most of us had formed the same opinion from watching Claire's interactions with it.

Edit:
And my vote on Marten, he's just a someone whose coping strategy to being brought up in a chaotic household has been to become Tao.  Hurricanes are sustained by the calm centre.

Very nicely put!
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2022, 16:52 by Storel »

Alexander Krizak

• Not quite a lurker

You forgot the truth in your poll. The answer is clearly "The Prettiest Princess."

I said secretly. Marten being The Prettiest Princess is common knowledge both in-universe and on these forums.

Besides, if I put that in the poll, everyone would vote for it. Heck, as it is, "the last unicorn" is kinda running away with the win.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

New comic.

I'm starting to think that Claire might enjoy that job.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Besides, if I put that in the poll, everyone would vote for it. Heck, as it is, "the last unicorn" is kinda running away with the win.

That's pretty sus.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

Now I'm just thinking of the time the stinger implied that Claire had carved Clinton into cutlets, and I remember at the time I genuinely expected that he would be quietly forgotten like Sara.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?

New comic.

I'm starting to think that Claire might enjoy that job.

She may very well spend a lot of her time there hating it, and still look back on it one day as the greatest experience of her life.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel

At least Yay only eavesdropped on the PUBLIC comms. Progress!
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

notStanley

• Larger than most fish

>public blueprints ... brochures
>
>open comms channels

That does not count as spying!  She might even join one of those public chats and chat up what a smart person they are getting with Claire :}

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

She may very well spend a lot of her time there hating it, and still look back on it one day as the greatest experience of her life.

Yeah.

"I hated it! But wow, I made such a difference..."

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

I note that Yay fails to say anything about the presence of Architeuthidae in the area...
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

One wonders how much of Yay's spying is involuntary? Like how they can casually access stuff without really thinking about it.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

I do feel that, in Yay's case, it's a conscious effort to NOT listen in on everything. Their default is 'on'.

New comic.

I understand Marten's motivation here :D

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.

Do it, Marten. DOOOO EEEETTTT.
Quis pater tibi est?

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

Ditto. On the OTHER hand, that'd mean Faye and Bubbles are stuck with him....

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.

I'd do it too  :evil: :-D
Also, I think that if anyone can deal with him, it's Faye and Bubbles - Bubbles has the presence and personality to supply the fear of being forcibly disassembled...
If this fails, Faye would supply the actual disassembly...

"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto

Today's comic let us measure the change since the AnthroPC period, when Pintsize was Marten's *possession*...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

Marco

• Not quite an earthling

I do feel that, in Yay's case, it's a conscious effort to NOT listen in on everything. Their default is 'on'.

It's like being in the same room where other people are chatting and trying not to listen...

John Allenson

Has Marten expressed the (incredibly) justified feeling that he'd rather not have Pintsize in his life?

Granted, a conversation might be healthier than abandonment.

Pseudowolf

• Not quite a lurker

Reminds me of when old army guys get together and talk about their time in boot camp.

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?

Comic!

So I'm feeling another heartfelt discussion between Marten and Claire coming on.

(Who knew someone whose father walked out on her might have issues with pranking pintsize like this...)

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

That is a good point, I hadn't considered that.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

And that is LITERALLY Faye's reaction. Ha!

Gyrre

Comic!

So I'm feeling another heartfelt discussion between Marten and Claire coming on.

(Who knew someone whose father walked out on her might have issues with pranking pintsize like this...)

Well, those who row up with one or more abusive parental figures tend to either become protectors (breaking thr cycle and attempting to hrlp others in it) or abusers.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Disappear without warning, because that would be hilarious.
But have everything arranged for Pintsize to follow on immediately, and have Faye primed to give him all the info, tickets, etc. - once she's sent Marten the video of his initial reaction.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...

And would Pintsize even be welcome in Cubetown?
New hire sure.
New hire and partner. OK.
New hire and entourage?
Is Cubetown a public town anyone can move to, or is it a private estate with residence limited? Rather like Hannerdad's space Station: I don't suppose anyone who chooses can just move there.

And come to that, does Cubetown even have the infrastructure to support human residents? AI life support consists of a weatherproof room, a solar panel and a battery. Human requirements are a bit more complicated.
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2022, 00:19 by JimC »

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Is it me or has Faye been working out? I mean, being sober must have its advantages but is this her trying to match Bubbles' soldierly body? Is this the inevitable result of having a much-stronger-than-human girlfriend? Or has she been trying to get in shape for her bridesmaid's dress?

I love that Faye was all for Marten moving out until she realised it would leave her as Pintsize's keeper. FWIW, I think that he'll move in with Willow, Iris and Yemisi. He's definitely got a crush on Iris. Her abusive cynicism makes her his kind of girl!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gyrre

Is it me or has Faye been working out? I mean, being sober must have its advantages but is this her trying to match Bubbles' soldierly body? Is this the inevitable result of having a much-stronger-than-human girlfriend? Or has she been trying to get in shape for her bridesmaid's dress?

[snip]

It could just be the reduction of calories from no longer drinking? A number of alcoholic beverages have a lot of 'empty calories'. Especially beers and ales.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Is it me or has Faye been working out?
Yeah, she's looking buff. Maybe laying off the booze? Maybe heaving heavy equipment around at work? And yes, maybe Bubbles's example. Even though Bubbles has a synthetic body, she likes to work out on the heavy bag I remember. And if Faye's been following suit the workout would strengthen her arms, shoulders, chest, back, legs, and core. The heavy bag is great for working out frustrations too...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

It’s a matter of record that Faye got buff working at the fighting arena. This is just the first time she’s looked really buff with biceps visible even when relaxed.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

dutchrvl

And would Pintsize even be welcome in Cubetown?
New hire sure.
New hire and partner. OK.
New hire and entourage?
Is Cubetown a public town anyone can move to, or is it a private estate with residence limited? Rather like Hannerdad's space Station: I don't suppose anyone who chooses can just move there.

And come to that, does Cubetown even have the infrastructure to support human residents? AI life support consists of a weatherproof room, a solar panel and a battery. Human requirements are a bit more complicated.

Would they actually live in cubetown though? I was imagining it more as Claire commuting to cubetown every day, or perhaps only sometimes since she could probably do a lot remotely.
Plus, Marten probably also needs/wants to get a job if they move there, which need not necessarily (or desirably) be at cubetown.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...

Would they actually live in cubetown though? I was imagining it more as Claire commuting to cubetown every day,
If its genuinely in the ocean as opposed to somewhere more sheltered like the Bay of Fundy a winter commute might be more than a little interesting!

I have some experience of delivering IT to organisations verging towards the hot mess which has to be a related exercise, and its an awfully big benefit to be on site if you want to deliver what the majority of the people need as opposed to what the vocal minority think they want. Also if you want to change the working culture its helpful to actually interact with people as they are using the service so you can see what they are actually doing and what's going wrong.

Marco

• Not quite an earthling

Would they actually live in cubetown though? I was imagining it more as Claire commuting to cubetown every day,
If its genuinely in the ocean as opposed to somewhere more sheltered like the Bay of Fundy a winter commute might be more than a little interesting!

https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4871 shows a really close shore (my guess is 1 or 2 km) and a lot of boats nearby, so commuting would be an option.

derris_kharlan

• Plantmonster

Claire: I’m going to public humiliate my brother and belittle him even though he’s always been supportive of me.
Also Claire: How dare you consider being mean to an AI who has repeatedly done terrible things including sexually harassing every female around him.

Man I dislike Claire.
Shel kek nem ron.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up