THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The (New) Super Mario Bros. Movie  (Read 8544 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
The (New) Super Mario Bros. Movie
« on: 07 Oct 2022, 06:29 »

The trailer for the new Super Mario Bros. movie dropped last night. Honestly, I don't hate it.

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
Re: The (New) Super Mario Bros. Movie
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2022, 04:38 »

Still not sold on Chris Pratt as Mario, but it's not as bad as I kept hearing[1]. But, with the direction they're taking the story, maybe Pratt can make it work. Charlie Day is pretty much perfect for Luigi though[2].

Not 100% on Jack Black as Bowser either, but we don't get many lines from either of them in this.

[1] there's been enough drama on that front though
[2] We don't really need much to know that.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2022, 06:09 »

I was kind of shocked it was Jack Black when watching the trailer, you can kind of hear it when he says "Who's gonna stop me!" but honestly I think he's doing a good job so far. With Pratt's Mario, it sounds like they're going old school and making him sound like he's from Brooklyn (Mario pre- Mario 64) instead of Italy (Mario from Mario 64 and onward). He had fewer lines than Bowser in the trailer (I think) so its really hard to gauge. I am fully expecting Donkey Kong, what with being played by Seth Rogan, to just sound like Seth Rogan. But honestly, who didn't think that was going to happen when the casting was announced?
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Gyrre

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2022, 23:18 »

Yeah, that was my guess with the backstory/plot too. Maybe we'll hear Crisp try for a Bob Hoskins impression.
Jack Black is a pretty good VA, he's Psy-king in Psychonauts 2. I was just expecting something deeper for Bowser as opposed to a upper-mid baritone. Granted, I can't think of any basso profundo VAs.

Finding out Seth Rogen is DK is a disappointment though. Here's hoping it's all foleys and the animators have him use ASL.
a real-ass gaddam sword

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2022, 06:29 »

Well they also cast DK's father from the DK series so I have a feeling it may not be, but we'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if this is some sort of flagship movie for a Nintendo movie universe leading up the Smash.

Gyrre

« Reply #5 on: 15 Oct 2022, 16:53 »

Well they also cast DK's father from the DK series so I have a feeling it may not be, but we'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if this is some sort of flagship movie for a Nintendo movie universe leading up the Smash.

🙄 Not another one.

Well, I would very much like a Metroid movie. Hell, the soundtrack has already been scored  at least twice over on OCReMix.

This would work for the trailer.

a real-ass gaddam sword

Pages: [1]   Go Up