- 3 (9.1%)
Pissed off Spookybot
- 7 (21.2%)
Cranky Faye
- 6 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: 06 Nov 2022, 18:02

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT - October 31 to November 4, 2022 (strips #4906 to #4910)  (Read 14785 times)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

Yeah, 'beware of Moose' is generally good advice. They're HUGE.

Added poll, two votes per user.

_Islanio

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • This eagerness to change..

"The moose really is loose now!" Trevor Phillips
oh

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

They are clearly quite the local expert.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

They know what they’re talking aboot.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

Gotta beware of the moose loose in the hoose!

Quote from: Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Wik
Also wik
Also also wik
Wi not trei a holiday in Sweeden this yer ?
See the loveli lakes
The wonderful telephone system
And mani interesting furry animals
Including the majestic moose
A moose once bit my sister...
No realli! She was Karving her initials on the moose with the sharpened end of an interspace toothbrush given her by Svenge—her brother-in-law— an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian movies: "The Hot Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Molars of Horst Nordfink"...
Mynd you, moose bites Kan be pretti nasti..
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.

Mynd you, moose bites Kan be pretti nasti..

The writer of the preceding comic note has been sacked.
Quis pater tibi est?

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

And this is how I find out...

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!

+1 for Python reference.

But is it supposed to be Emmett or Veronica who's asking "Why?"? 
Just looks odd, as if V is smirking/giggling while saying it, so I'm gonna assume the arrow on that speech bubble should be pointing vertically downward, not at 45°...pickypickypicky
What the hell are YOU staring at?

stayctee

• Plantmonster

Canadian here to confirm that moose are no joke. You really should never get near one, it's good advice! I have been near many and they are for real giant and also they charge. And a mother (cow) will straight up kill you.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?

All this reminds me of a certain Warner Bros cartoon where the antagonist proclaims: "There's a moose loose in the hoose!" and then demands Sylvester catch it.  Of course the MOUSE is in cahoots with Hippity Hopper, and both are, in fact, loose in the hoose.
This space intentionally left almost blank.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

A moose once bit my sorta-sister...

( somebody had to )
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

While some small towns in SK are kinda sucky, there are some pretty cool ones.

Not that one which had a sign up declaring themselves a pro-life community.  That one was kind of awful.

Stoon

Canadian here to confirm that moose are no joke. You really should never get near one, it's good advice! I have been near many and they are for real giant and also they charge. And a mother (cow) will straight up kill you.
So, there I was, work sent me 5 hours north of Edmonton.  I spotted a moose approaching the highway, so I came to a stop.  It stopped on the edge of the highway, looked RIGHT at me, then turned around, and trotted back into the woods before I could grab my phone and take a picture.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

The 'taking off your shoes inside the house' rule also applies to New Zealand, by the way.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Tim Hortons is crap.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

I have never had Tim Hortons, so I can't comment on that. Dunkin' Donuts made its way to Europe though, so I've had those.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

And absolutely DO NOT honk at a bull moose in the road. He WILL take it as a challenge and charge.

[Some of my mom's family learned the hard way when they moved up North from Kenosha.]

EDIT

The 'taking off your shoes inside the house' rule also applies to New Zealand, by the way.

And at my place. I've had to clean store floors and public restrooms.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

I'm pretty sure it's the case anywhere that gets cold weather. I don't want salt tracked all over the wood floors in my apartment.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Much of the world sees having shoes on inside as generally gross, not just cold places.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

Happy Halloween!

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.

Much of the world sees having shoes on inside as generally gross, not just cold places.

True - but it's just not safe in Australia  :-D
Admittedly, many people do take off their shoes when inside, but seriously - do NOT leave your footwear outside - the instinctive response to any unattended shoe left outdoors, is to bash it against a wall to see if anything crawls out...

Edit:  Poll - I always thought the scariest thing in QC was Crazy-Eyed Dora, especially when armed with a sword (https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1323) or channelling the Old Ones  (https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1754)
« Last Edit: 01 Nov 2022, 21:05 by DaiJB »
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!

True - but it's just not safe in Australia  :-D
Admittedly, many people do take off their shoes when inside, but seriously - do NOT leave your footwear outside - the instinctive response to any unattended shoe left outdoors, is to bash it against a wall to see if anything crawls out...

...which is why double-pluggers* are so popular - snek can't hide in there!

(*https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=double%20pluggers)
What the hell are YOU staring at?

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I did not know that, but I have only ever visited New Zealand for work and never entered a private home. I didn't know it was a thing in Canada or anywhere in the Western world, generally, either. I was raised to take my shoes off when entering the house, but that's very much a thing in China and the rest of East Asia. I still do it in Australia, but as pointed out above, leaving boots and shoes outside is a bad idea here.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

stayctee

• Plantmonster

I lived for a year in a Northern B.C. small town where it is a muddy nightmare in the spring, you have to take your shoes off in ALL public places!!!!! Imagine going to the library or the bank and taking your dang shoes off.
And, confirmed: Tim Horton's CAN suck a dick. And in small towns it's often the only place to eat that isn't fast food. But don't say that in Ontario those people don't know good coffee if it hits them in the face.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Oh, here in California, my brother used to be on some fire crews.  Admittedly, we don’t have deadly ones here, but his boots sitting outside are how he came to have a pet scorpion for a while.

immortalfrieza

• Emoticontraindication

And pretty much anywhere else in the world aside from your own house. Even then, you should probably still do it so you don't have to clean up your own tracking.

Betonhaus

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

I need to clarify something: NOBODY in Canada who paid attention will say Tim Horton's is better than Dunkin' Donuts. In fact, it's worse then McDonalds now.

Of course way back when it used to be good, and had several community programs going to increase engagement. But then it was sold to Brazilian Restaurants International, who then applied many cost-cutting measures. Thise measures includes a) replacing freshly baked donuts and pastries with reheated ones that come frozen from the factory b) giving up it coffee supplier contract for a cheaper one that tastes nasty (McDonalds now uses the old supplier, which is why their coffee is excellent in Canada) c) changing how much control franchises have, and making it actually difficult for them to maintain quality

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

On a similar note, I stop buying anything from or going to a place that I know has been bought out by a private equity firm.  I know that if it hasn’t already, the quality is going to go down the shitter.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

Oh, my... has Yay discovered limerence?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Stoon

I need to clarify something: NOBODY in Canada who paid attention will say Tim Horton's is better than Dunkin' Donuts. In fact, it's worse then McDonalds now.

Of course way back when it used to be good, and had several community programs going to increase engagement. But then it was sold to Brazilian Restaurants International, who then applied many cost-cutting measures. Thise measures includes a) replacing freshly baked donuts and pastries with reheated ones that come frozen from the factory b) giving up it coffee supplier contract for a cheaper one that tastes nasty (McDonalds now uses the old supplier, which is why their coffee is excellent in Canada) c) changing how much control franchises have, and making it actually difficult for them to maintain quality
Also the franchisees are notorious for hiring temporary foreign workers, and treating them like indentured serfs in order to keep payroll levels down, and boosting their profits.
« Last Edit: 02 Nov 2022, 19:14 by Stoon »

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?

Ha!  I knew it.  Yay is after Roko.  Ever since the 12x18 Dance Party poster came out, this has been in the back of my mind as a possibility.  Now to see where it goes.  Yay will have to bring lots of bread...
This space intentionally left almost blank.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

Yay, with their godlike powers, will be able to supply an endless amount of bread. Roko will never have to go without again!

Wombat

• Furry furrier

Yay will have to bring lots of bread...
Overwhelmed by thinking about the incredible, excessive amount of bread Yay could/might bring.

ETA: Farideh gets it.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

Awwww. Yay/Roko, huh? Interesting.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Yay, with their godlike powers, will be able to supply an endless amount of bread. Roko will never have to go without again!

And just think of the possibilities of a baker’s dozen of Yay’s instances all making bread at once.

_Islanio

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • This eagerness to change..

They'd behave like a production line tho
oh

immortalfrieza

• Emoticontraindication

Yay would be a case when I'd wonder if they can even experience real romantic attachment or love or even understand the concept. I could also see their question as "Does Roko actually like me or is she just putting up with me?"

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

A couple of things to say here.

Firstly, notice how Yay brushes themselves off. They're still not 100% happy with physical contact. Is that just a general superiority complex or do they have problems with humans touching them.

Secondly, I suspect that Yay isn't fully aware in themselves of their attraction to Roko. Like a pre-teen with a crush, it's still in the "annoy her to make her notice us" stage. That said, they love hearing that Roko talks about them. That means that she noticed them!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

I'm pretty sure it's the case anywhere that gets cold weather. I don't want salt tracked all over the wood floors in my apartment.

I spent a decade in a college town that had several farms and ranches around it as well. Bathroom floors can change colors when mopped in summer too.

EDIT: clarification; not a judgment against the farmers and ranchers, just bringing it the fact that things can come off of one's work boots if one fails to change them before heading into town and that sometimes not everyone has time to change them before heading into town.
« Last Edit: 01 Nov 2022, 23:32 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.

Elliot casually bouncing this intractable and mysterious entity out of his flat is masterful.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Elliot casually bouncing this intractable and mysterious entity out of his flat is masterful.

It's established that Elliott is immune to Yay's Cthonic Abomination vibes; remember him just shrugging off their 'snake hatchling eyes' look as 'good attempt at intimidation'? To him, Yay is just Roko and Melon's weird friend.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

dutchrvl

Tim Hortons is crap.

Is it?
I haven't had Horton's for many years, but I do recall a close friend, who is a coffee snob, raving about it about 15-20 years ago. I used to bring back a canister for him every once in a while back in the day. Talking > 10 years ago though

Did Horton's slowly deteriorate perchance just like most corporations that become too big for their own good? I do recall seeing Horton's a few years back and getting the distinct impression that they're pretty much exactly like Dunkin now.

Dunkin, by the way, is also crap (IMO)

EDIT: never mind, just saw post from Betonhaus which confirms the deterioration over time
« Last Edit: 02 Nov 2022, 10:41 by dutchrvl »

dutchrvl

On a similar note, I stop buying anything from or going to a place that I know has been bought out by a private equity firm.  I know that if it hasn’t already, the quality is going to go down the shitter.

May I ask if you happen to know of a good way to find out? While I do try not to buy from such places, to read the wiki for each place right before going just to see if you can figure it out from their wiki is not a very convenient way...(if it's even on their wiki)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Usually I either saw it in a wiki, or on one news feed or another.  But I also avoid major corporate places when I can regardless.  Most of my grocery shopping is at the local cooperative, and I don’t really buy a lot of random “things”, and only replace most of what I have when it wears out (so it’s pretty easy to look up).  Most of my non-consumable, non-service spending is on books or records.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

They'd behave like a production line tho
Maybe she’s into that?  Of course, it also depends on how autonomous each unit is.

Stoon

Ha!  I knew it.  Yay is after Roko.  Ever since the 12x18 Dance Party poster came out, this has been in the back of my mind as a possibility.  Now to see where it goes.  Yay will have to bring lots of bread...
I never realized the two of them were in the poster until this post.

Stoon

All of these nautical references are making me queasy.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

Oh, the look on Elliot's face... Yep, he and Clinton need to have a 'where is our relationship going?' talk.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

I'm not sure they've EVER had that talk. *lol*

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

Well, they haven't been dating long. You need to get through the first phase before you can start thinking about the future :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up