THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do androids see 'brain modification' the same way people do?

Yes
- 5 (15.6%)
No
- 6 (18.8%)
"It's just chemicals."
- 9 (28.1%)
"You'll alter my programs over my dead body."
- 10 (31.3%)
Other/Write in
- 2 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: 20 Nov 2022, 21:03

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Nov 14th - Nov 18th (4916-4920)  (Read 13125 times)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
WCDT Nov 14th - Nov 18th (4916-4920)
« on: 13 Nov 2022, 21:01 »

Hey kids! Playing with your brain chemistry is FUN!

"SHUT UP YAY."

(Added poll, two votes per user)

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
Re: WCDT Nov 14th - Nov 18th (4916-4920)
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2022, 21:48 »

I'm still on the fence on whether or not Yay it's helping.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2022, 23:11 »

I mean, I play with my brain chemistry all the time. Most of us do. In a very uncontrolled and nonsystematic way
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2022, 01:24 »

If the only outcome is that Elliot stops thinking that therapy is for "crazy" people or that they will just send you away with drugs, then this helped.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2022, 01:52 »

I'm still on the fence on whether or not Yay it's helping.

Yay is very clumsy about this but they have exposed that Elliot is in a serious anxiety loop about his whole mental health. He's aware that he has a problem but is afraid of seeking help because of anxiety about the outcome. If Yay and Renee can push him through that 'wall' to at least seek help then his situation can only improve.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2022, 11:08 »

Don't forget that Yay has transferred Clinton's message about the relationship.  I expect that won't get lost on anyone, perhaps enough for Eliot will go home tonight.  Which will lead to an angsty meeting with much snuggling and discussion of treatment options.
This space intentionally left almost blank.

notStanley

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2022, 13:06 »

But the scripts from a doctor are seldom much fun.  Side effects are more things like tired or constipated.  Seldom pretty colours and conversations with Dragons :{

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2022, 14:30 »

Seldom pretty colours and conversations with Dragons :{

Disappoint.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gyrre

« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2022, 17:22 »

Here's hoping one of the characters brings up talking to the psychiatrist about how one's body is reacting to the meds and how they feel so dosing can be adjusted or a different medication tried. At least two main cast characters have the experience.

EDIT: typo correction; 'can' not 'ca'.
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2022, 23:21 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #9 on: 14 Nov 2022, 17:34 »

I'm getting a serious Socializing 101 vibe from QC the past week.

immortalfrieza

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #10 on: 14 Nov 2022, 18:05 »

If the only outcome is that Elliot stops thinking that therapy is for "crazy" people or that they will just send you away with drugs, then this helped.
Questionable Content is also one of the few pieces of fiction where therapy has both A. Happened and B. actually made the person better instead of turning them into a serial killer or something. Of course, said therapy doesn't exist when it's convenient for the plot, during like Faye's issues with her last boyfriend and subsequent self destructive alcoholism.

We'll see which direction Jeph decides to go this time.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #11 on: 14 Nov 2022, 18:21 »

Elliot has a middle name!

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #12 on: 14 Nov 2022, 18:55 »

Hey, Yay nearly went into 'Spookybot' mode again. Nice!!

Lokitsu

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #13 on: 14 Nov 2022, 19:11 »

Is Yay trying to channel Mrs Augustus?

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #14 on: 14 Nov 2022, 19:39 »

I mean, I play with my brain chemistry all the time. Most of us do. In a very uncontrolled and nonsystematic way

Yup. Caffeine, sugar, and alcohol, just for starters.

Gyrre

« Reply #15 on: 14 Nov 2022, 23:22 »

Questionable Content is also one of the few pieces of fiction where therapy has both A. Happened and B. actually made the person better instead of turning them into a serial killer or something. Of course, said therapy doesn't exist when it's convenient for the plot, during like Faye's issues with her last boyfriend and subsequent self destructive alcoholism.

We'll see which direction Jeph decides to go this time.

..... Is is that 2nd thing something that's been portrayed outside of a DV Comics villain!?!?

EDIT: typo correction [damned useless keyboard, don't ever buy CAT phones. May be sturdy, but they cut corners.]
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2022, 01:46 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #16 on: 15 Nov 2022, 04:51 »

Of course, if Elliot really wants to court death, he'll just deny Yay access to Hercules a few times.  OTOH, Yay appears to be figuring out that certain kinds of threats are useless, which changes their possible responses to intentional non-compliance by another entity.  Or that showing off in front of unscreened others is a bad idea.
This space intentionally left almost blank.

stayctee

• Plantmonster
« Reply #17 on: 15 Nov 2022, 06:41 »

Ugh, Elliot. In denial AND patronizing! If a guy patted me on the head I would freak out. In fact they have, and I did. (Short women have to put up with some dumb crap.) Clinton also needs to learn how to express his needs too, though. This is all totally age-appropriate stuff, and I hope they figure it out! When I think back there are so many relationships from my early twenties that probably could have been helped with therapy and some boundary work instead of just YOU'RE CRAZY AND I HATE YOU NOW, BYE FOREVERRRR. But they're both coming from a good place but geez Elliot. Self reflect, buddy. Self reflect.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #18 on: 15 Nov 2022, 08:40 »

Here's hoping one of the characters brings up talking to the psychiatrist about how one's body is reacting to the meds and how they feel so dosing can be adjusted or a different medication tried. At least two main cast characters have the experience.

EDIT: typo correction; 'can' not 'ca'.

I do wish that I had been more assertive in my own life and sacked one doctor after our first meeting.  Unfortunately, I was on poor people’s health care, so my options were extremely limited (I ended up losing the one doctor that I worked well with because I couldn’t even pay cash there.  If you have the shit insurance, it’s a scarlet letter, you CAN’T go elsewhere).  But I knew that SSRIs don’t work with me, and didn’t fight back at people trying to prescribe them, so I drank enough to front a Pogues tribute band every night to counteract that shit. 

And I know that it was the meds.  Off of them, I seem naturally inclined to a few beers/whiskies a *week*
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

baronvonfritz

• Plantmonster
« Reply #19 on: 15 Nov 2022, 11:32 »

Tall people just don't see small people as a threat, no matter the danger. Much in the similar way humans don't perceive Chihuaua's as a threat. Even if they're the most aggressive dog breed in the world. I guess it would be different if Chihuauas could bite through a brick. Or not.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #20 on: 15 Nov 2022, 13:00 »

Tall people just don't see small people as a threat, no matter the danger. Much in the similar way humans don't perceive Chihuaua's as a threat. Even if they're the most aggressive dog breed in the world. I guess it would be different if Chihuauas could bite through a brick. Or not.
Definitely not. Macaws, parrots, and similar birds kept as house pets absolutely can bite clean through pretty much any bit of human you can think of, should they decide to, but good luck convincing their keepers they’re even potentially dangerous.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #21 on: 15 Nov 2022, 13:20 »

IMO, whether or not something is 'dangerous' comes down to risk assessment. Most living creatures can wreak a lot of damage, but they need the right trigger to do so. For example: cats. Cats can be dangerous. They're fast and strong with sharp teeth and claws. I have 3 cats and I don't think they're dangerous, because I know them and their temperaments. They are not a risk to me (unless it involves a vet visit). Same thing goes for the macaws etc. Yes, they have powerful bites, but if you know how to handle them, they are not dangerous.

While Elliot's action is condescending (please never do that again unless specifically permitted), he does not think that Yay is dangerous to him. They have only shown him kindness and tolerance. Also, given Elliot's second job as a bouncer, his assessment of 'danger' probably differs from most people anyway.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #22 on: 15 Nov 2022, 18:54 »

New Comic

Yeah, Yay is ANNOYED. *lol*

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #23 on: 15 Nov 2022, 19:03 »

Good on Yay for calling out the 'boys don't cry / man up' statements. Makes you wonder where that came from anyway?

Gyrre

« Reply #24 on: 15 Nov 2022, 20:34 »

Agreed.

(click to show/hide)
a real-ass gaddam sword

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?
« Reply #25 on: 15 Nov 2022, 20:49 »

Good on Yay for calling out the 'boys don't cry / man up' statements. Makes you wonder where that came from anyway?

Here's the thing. If you're resistant to seeking help, you look for excuses not to seek it.

Elliot wants to believe he can get past his anxieties without actually having to face them.

So even if he's not one to tell others to just "man up" or "get tougher" he's more than willing to convince himself that's what he needs to do in order to not have to face his problems. Because, sometimes, well, it's a big ask to give yourself the same benefit of the doubt you give everybody else.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #26 on: 15 Nov 2022, 21:01 »

IMO Elliot's friends need to step up and offer to help him through this, rather than him seek professional help.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #27 on: 15 Nov 2022, 21:28 »

I don't know, but if Yay thinks it went away after the 1950s, they haven't been paying anywhere near as much attention to the world as we've all been led to believe.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #28 on: 15 Nov 2022, 22:34 »

I just looked at the comic again and realized that I made up my previous statement. Elliot says he need to 'toughen up', and combined with Yay's 1950's comment, my brain turned it into 'man up'. Sigh. Between this and today's Wordle, my brain really isn't my friend today.

Gyrre

« Reply #29 on: 15 Nov 2022, 23:26 »

IMO Elliot's friends need to step up and offer to help him through this, rather than him seek professional help.

From Renée's dialogue, it sounds like at least dome of them already have.

[I can never remember ehich of the e's the tick mark goes over. Is it Reneé or Renée? Or does the final e ust serve the purpose of implying thr accent mark?]
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gyrre

« Reply #30 on: 15 Nov 2022, 23:28 »

I don't know, but if Yay thinks it went away after the 1950s, they haven't been paying anywhere near as much attention to the world as we've all been led to believe.

Perhaps that's when they believe it has the best chance of being taught out? McCarthyism did a real number on the USA's collective psyche.
a real-ass gaddam sword

ihaveavoice

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #31 on: 15 Nov 2022, 23:48 »

From Renée's dialogue, it sounds like at least dome of them already have.

[I can never remember ehich of the e's the tick mark goes over. Is it Reneé or Renée? Or does the final e ust serve the purpose of implying thr accent mark?]

It's Renée, and the final e is just because it's the female version of René.  Reneé creates a weird pronunciation, something like Ren-uh-ay.

And someone with anxiety or other mental health issues on a level like Elliot's really shouldn't be having their friends try to do the job of a trained therapist. There is a reason that they've done that training. Things can go so wrong when laypeople try to do that, both in unwitting damage to the person they want to help and in the havoc wrought on their own mental health by taking on that kind of stressful, boundary-breaking burden in a relationship.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #32 on: 16 Nov 2022, 06:55 »

Google is your friend:

Renée is the female form of René, with the extra –e making it feminine according to French grammar. The name Renée is the French form of the late Roman name Renatus and the meaning is reborn or born again.

( now ask about brun and her umlaut )
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #33 on: 16 Nov 2022, 07:01 »

I know better than to ask strangers about their umlauts.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #34 on: 16 Nov 2022, 08:31 »

Looks like Yay is trying to avoid  "Roko's basilisk" situation...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

Stoon

« Reply #35 on: 16 Nov 2022, 17:13 »

Oh, Jeph's a Doctor Who fan.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #36 on: 16 Nov 2022, 17:33 »

Oh, Jeph's a Doctor Who fan.

Yay had better not start quoting Ten.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #37 on: 16 Nov 2022, 17:58 »

Wombat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #38 on: 16 Nov 2022, 18:12 »

I love Yay and their silly crush on Roko. I don't know if I want them to get together, but I enjoy how it comes up.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #39 on: 16 Nov 2022, 18:21 »

Oh, Yay. So wise and yet so naïve.

Depending on how many of Yay's bodies join in, this could end up being an orgy!

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #40 on: 16 Nov 2022, 18:36 »

I feel like a threesome with Yay would quickly turn into that scene from Watchmen...
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #41 on: 16 Nov 2022, 19:29 »

Yay: "I am NOT doing this for Roko's approval."

(Everyone just LOOKS at them)

Yay: "REALLY. Am not."

baronvonfritz

• Plantmonster
« Reply #42 on: 16 Nov 2022, 19:48 »

Yay IS the worst, and I love them so much.

but I fear that Yay will unfortunately get the realistic maturation and self aware dynamism like all the other damaged characters in this show. Don't get me wrong, it is extremely cathartic that the cast isn't hamstrung by Hollywood sitcom convention and real issues have real resolutions. My only bitch is that the chaos goblins always have the best jokes, but when the chaos settles, they lose their edge. I love May, but gargantuan tits only can do so much. Know what I mean?

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #43 on: 16 Nov 2022, 20:00 »

Of course, the biggest goblins in the comic aren’t the most frightening.  Hanners and Momo are a LOT more terrifying, since they keep their dark sides in check most of the time.  And the former had actually considered orbital bombardment to deal with a spider nest. Who knows what she’d do if her mother got into her brain a la “Children of Dune”.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #44 on: 16 Nov 2022, 21:27 »

Yay IS the worst, and I love them so much.

but I fear that Yay will unfortunately get the realistic maturation and self aware dynamism like all the other damaged characters in this show. Don't get me wrong, it is extremely cathartic that the cast isn't hamstrung by Hollywood sitcom convention and real issues have real resolutions. My only bitch is that the chaos goblins always have the best jokes, but when the chaos settles, they lose their edge. I love May, but gargantuan tits only can do so much. Know what I mean?
IMO May and Yay are the best characters. Some amorality and rough edges are good for an otherwise saccharine comic. Though yeah, Yay is undergoing the treatment--first installment Yay had some serious potential.  May seems to have avoided it for the most part, even if she is using her powers and abilities for good, though she was always a good AI, just a jerk with a heart of gold.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Dinaverg

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #45 on: 17 Nov 2022, 02:26 »

...but gargantuan tits only can do so much. Know what I mean?

Counterpoint, gargantuan tits can do quite a lot, but not in the context of a PG-13 at best (swearing, sexual content, pintsize) medium. 

stayctee

• Plantmonster
« Reply #46 on: 17 Nov 2022, 08:27 »

Am I the only one who doesn't think Yay has a crush on Roko? If someone can point to a definite instance when they have displayed romantic feelings, I will stand corrected. But to me it just seems like friendly affection and competition.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #47 on: 17 Nov 2022, 08:48 »

The line between those is a wide and fuzzy one, so there is a fair bit of ambiguity.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #48 on: 17 Nov 2022, 09:15 »

I'd like to see Dr. Corrine become Elliot's therapist. (I don't think he counts as part of Hannelore's circle.)
----
A thing I love about QC is that it gives Jeph a chance to portray characters that are sort of, but not exactly human. AIs can transcend humanity, but they can also comically fail.
Crushbot aspires to be a patissier, but his chassis is not up to the task. If however, he persists and prevails, he will show us something amazing.

« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2022, 17:41 by Perfectly Reasonable »
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #49 on: 17 Nov 2022, 18:11 »

New comic

Roko, NOT HELPING. *lol*
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up