THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do androids see 'brain modification' the same way people do?

Yes
- 5 (15.6%)
No
- 6 (18.8%)
"It's just chemicals."
- 9 (28.1%)
"You'll alter my programs over my dead body."
- 10 (31.3%)
Other/Write in
- 2 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: 20 Nov 2022, 21:03

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Nov 14th - Nov 18th (4916-4920)  (Read 13122 times)

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
Re: WCDT Nov 14th - Nov 18th (4916-4920)
« Reply #50 on: 17 Nov 2022, 18:20 »

Admittedly, talking to Yay is kind of moral zugzwang.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #51 on: 17 Nov 2022, 18:40 »

TIL what 'zugzwang' is. My vocabulary has been extended! :D

At least Roko tried, and she has a point. Yay could've gotten a very different result if they had tried this approach on someone less obliging.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #52 on: 17 Nov 2022, 20:37 »

In a sense, Yay is correct. Persuasion is a form of manipulation and it does involve exploiting people's emotions.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #53 on: 17 Nov 2022, 23:00 »

I have never gotten into a more heated argument with other writers than when I said it was the primary *goal* of a story to manipulate the reader into feeling what you want them to feel.

Just because it's a loaded word doesn't make it less true in a lot of circumstances.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #54 on: 17 Nov 2022, 23:30 »

I think it was on Cinema Therapy that it was said that the thing that filmmakers and therapists have in common is that they both manipulate you into feeling things.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #55 on: 18 Nov 2022, 00:21 »

That very much sounds like a Cinema Therapy thing to say.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #56 on: 18 Nov 2022, 01:12 »

I have never gotten into a more heated argument with other writers than when I said it was the primary *goal* of a story to manipulate the reader into feeling what you want them to feel.

Just because it's a loaded word doesn't make it less true in a lot of circumstances.

This. "Manipulate" has such negative connotations for so many people that it's difficult to have a calm, reasonable discussion about good forms of manipulation.

For that specific example, you might get a less heated argument if you said it's the primary goal of a story to make the reader feel what you want them to feel.

Dinaverg

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #57 on: 18 Nov 2022, 03:03 »

TIL what 'zugzwang' is. My vocabulary has been extended! :D

At least Roko tried, and she has a point. Yay could've gotten a very different result if they had tried this approach on someone less obliging.

although, after all our comparisons to Yay as a teenager in maturity; roko's cynicism really does seem to be getting in the way of the level of sincere, uncompromised (cf "it's good, but...") praise that Yay probably needs?

I dunno, not like I've ever raised a teenager. but I tutor people sometimes, and it's often important to start with what they've done well, or did right before you start talking about the mistakes they made, or, 'more tactfully', how they could improve, and do even better next time.

Potato Farmer

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #58 on: 18 Nov 2022, 07:39 »

This. "Manipulate" has such negative connotations for so many people that it's difficult to have a calm, reasonable discussion about good forms of manipulation.

For that specific example, you might get a less heated argument if you said it's the primary goal of a story to make the reader feel what you want them to feel.
People always make such a fuss about the idea of manipulation. Every form of interaction is manipulation, whether intentional or accidental.

And yet I have to deal with people thinking I'm a psychopath.

Instead of backtracking Roko should explain that it's important to avoid malicious manipulation, where you utilise falsehoods and coercion to push someone in a direction which is beneficial for your own goals but neglects their goals and/or well-being.

John Allenson

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #59 on: 18 Nov 2022, 09:08 »

By giving unasked advice, Roko demonstrates one of the problems of giving unasked advice.

I adore Yay's look in the last panel.

And I'm completely on side with Elliot in that just getting relief from anxiety can feel like a better solution than increasing anxiety by trying to deal with underlying problems.  (When I get a vaccine, I tense up like anything over the needle - which is no more than a mosquito bite.  But the big thing I've learned from dealing with anxiety is that I can deal with anxiety.  The other thing is to know when to get a support human.)

baronvonfritz

• Plantmonster
« Reply #60 on: 18 Nov 2022, 11:35 »

...but gargantuan tits only can do so much. Know what I mean?

Counterpoint, gargantuan tits can do quite a lot, but not in the context of a PG-13 at best (swearing, sexual content, pintsize) medium. 

Pintsize as an adjective - yes!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up