THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 01:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QC Forums Shutting Down 1/1/23  (Read 7871 times)

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
QC Forums Shutting Down 1/1/23
« on: 30 Nov 2022, 11:19 »

Hey all, Jeph here. I'll go into further detail shortly, but here's the meat of this announcement:

The QC forums will be shutting down as of January 1, 2023.

There are a few reasons I've decided to take this course of action. Over the last few years, activity on the forum has slowed dramatically as folks migrate to other social media platforms, lose interest, or otherwise move on. This extends to the (wonderful, dedicated) mod/admin team, some of whom have expressed the desire to step down from their duties. In addition, the older I get the less comfortable I am with the idea of hosting my own social media platform. After discussing it with the mod/admin team, we've come to the conclusion that it's probably time to wrap things up.

The current plan is to leave the foums online, but in read-only mode. This way folks can still access whatever threads and posts they find valuable. As for where you all can go from here- that's up to you. I hear it's pretty easy to set up Discord servers, that might be a good idea. I'm not going to make or endorse an "official" QC server myself, but I'm cool with whatever unofficial things people want to make.

It's amazing that this place has lasted for almost 20 years, and it makes me profoundly happy that people have found and forged community here. I'll be forever grateful to all the mods, past and present, who have worked so hard to make this a safe, non-toxic environment, with special thanks to pwhodges for consistently going above and beyond the call of duty. And I'm grateful to all of you, too! Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

-Jeph

ps: butts lol
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
Re: QC Forums Shutting Down 1/1/23
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2022, 12:13 »

In case anyone is interested, there is a QC Discord server that you could join. I've been lurking there for the past 2 weeks or so. It's not terribly busy, and I'm not sure how strictly it's moderated. It does have the roughly the same rules as this forum (no discrimination, etc).

Alternatively, I wouldn't mind setting up a new Discord server if people want?
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: QC Forums Shutting Down 1/1/23
« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2022, 14:54 »

I will finally make the forum read-only when I wake up on 1st Jan - this will be about when midnight has finally crossed the USA.

It will still be possible to log in to see restricted parts of the forum, and to view PMs, but neither posts nor PMs will be able to be written after that time.

Thanks to everyone for making this place what it was, which even when it faltered a little was still one the nicer places on the Internet.

Best wishes to you all wherever you may go next!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )
Pages: [1]   Go Up